The British Nobility thread 1: Ending 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good article, i noticed that the story made his royal connections seem a bit more distant than what they really tho.

How close do you think his royal connections are though?

The Brandrams are descended from Queen Victoria through her eldest daughter, Victoria, Princess Royal. Nicholas's grandmother was the granddaughter of the Princess Royal.

The Brandrams are more closely related through the Greeks - which the article mentions. Prince Philip and Nicholas' grandmother are first cousins, both being male-line grandchildren of George I of Greece. This makes Nicholas the third cousin of William and Harry through their paternal grandfather. Not exactly a close relation.

Calling Princess Katherine of Greece the last female descendent of Queen Victoria, honestly the Telegraph is becoming about as accurate as the DM.

I wonder if they meant that she was the last living female great-grandchild of QV and just made a blatantly silly error.

Katherine Brandram , born Princess of Greece , was the last female descendent of Queen Victoria .

Katherine Brandram , born Princess of Greece , was the last female descendent of Queen Victoria .

I think QEII, QMII, Sofia of Spain, Princess Anne, Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie, Zara Phillips, Princess Alexandra, Marina Mowatt, Princess Astrid of Norway and many others in many countries would disagree with that statement.

I think that the article meant that Katherine was the last of an all female-line of direct descendants from Queen Victoria (Victoria - Victoria - Sophie - Katherine) and/or that at the time of her death in 2007 she was the last surviving great-granddaughter of Queen Victoria.

I think QEII, QMII, Sofia of Spain, Princess Anne, Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie, Zara Phillips, Princess Alexandra, Marina Mowatt, Princess Astrid of Norway and many others in many countries would disagree with that statement.

Particularly when a new female descendent was born in August this year - named Maud Windsor.

I think that the article meant that Katherine was the last of an all female-line of direct descendants from Queen Victoria (Victoria - Victoria - Sophie - Katherine) and/or that at the time of her death in 2007 she was the last surviving great-granddaughter of Queen Victoria.

I suspect the latter - the last surviving great-granddaughter of Queen Victoria.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the outside, The Swan Inn at Swinbrook in the Cotswolds is a classic country pub, complete with pretty honey-stone brickwork and festooned with wisteria.
Inside, however, it's a different story. Owned by the Dowager Duchess of Devonshire, the last of the Mitford sisters, The Swan Inn is a public house with a decidedly aristocratic pedigree.
Newly refurbished, the pub boasts river views, 11 luxury bedrooms and a restaurant that serves up freshly cooked seasonal food.

Inside the boutique inn where the beer is artisan, the soap handmade... and the landlady is the Dowager Duchess of Devonshire | Mail Online

I stayed at The Swan last year, and thoroughly enjoyed it. The pub is very cosy, as are the rooms, but I found the food to be "out of my comfort zone". It was tasty though.

The Rt. Hon. the Earl of Dudley died on 16 November 2013, aged 93.

William Humble David Ward was born on 5 January 1920, the elder son of the 3rd Earl of Dudley and of his wife, née Lady Rosemary Leveson-Gower (herself the only daughter of the 4th Duke of Sutherland). He was a godson of the then Prince of Wales, later King Edward VIII and Duke of Windsor, who was a friend of his father's.
He firstly married in 1946 to the Argentinian Stella Carcano y Morra; they became parents of one son and two daughters before divorcing in 1961.
In the same year he remarried to Scottish actress Maureen Swanson (1932-2011), by whom he had seven more children, five daughters and two sons (one of whom died at birth).
He succeeded to his father in 1969 as the 4th Earl of Dudley. He is now succeeded as the 5th Earl by his eldest son, David.

The Earl of Dudley - Obituary - Telegraph

Warren/Stewart wedding
The marriage took place in London, 14 December, 2013, between Jake Warren, elder son of Mr John Warren by his wife the former Lady Carolyn Penelope Herbert, & Miss Zoe Inez Stewart, scion of the Earls of Galloway, younger daughter of Mr Andrew Clyde Stewart, heir presumptive to the Earldom.
Jake Warren is a godson of the late Diana Princess of Wales and nephew of The Earl of Carnarvon. His father is the Queen's racing manager.

Peerage News: Warren/Stewart wedding
Cressida Bonas is every inch the bohemian style queen in a pretty floral garland and faux fur scarf as she joins Princess Beatrice at society wedding | Mail Online

The stakes were always high: a £35 million inheritance including two grand English country estates and a 17th Century Tuscan villa of almost unmatched beauty.

But when last year the 7th Earl of Durham, son of the late Lord Lambton, was sued by three of his sisters for a share of his father’s possessions, it provoked a dispute of such bitterness that it almost tore apart one of Britain’s most famous aristocratic families.

It even called into question the ancient principle of primogeniture – the right of the eldest son to inherit everything – in a very public echo of the Downton Abbey storyline.

It has also forced the sale of a remarkable £3.5 million portrait by Lucian Freud, a work that sheds a fascinating new light on the artist, and the Lambtons.

The saga has brought back to the fore the late lord’s involvement in one of the most notorious sex scandals of the 1970s.

The earl with the £35m Downton dilemma: How son of flamboyant peer 'paid off' older sisters left nothing in father's will... by selling Freud masterpiece that proved his own mother's adultery | Mail Online

A Highland mansion belonging to one of Britain’s richest men - and once used by Prince Charles and Diana, Princess of Wales - is being sold at a knockdown £450,000.

The 15 bedroom Lochmore Lodge, in Sutherland, belongs to Gerald Grosvenor, the 6th Duke of Westminster.

The Duke - Britain’s richest landowner and godfather to Prince William - had wanted to demolish the run down pile, one of his least used but most historic properties, and return the site to grassland.

But after a dramatic intervention by conservation agency, Historic Scotland, the bulldozers have been halted, and the property put on the market at a bargain price.

Prince William's godfather selling 15 bedroom Highland mansion for £450,000: Stunning lochside property once the social playground of Charles and Diana, Coco Chanel and Churchill | Mail Online

Every time there is an article about the Duke of Westminster, it mentions that he is William's godfather which isn't true. The Duchess, his wife, is William's godmother.

:previous: I guess that because the Duchess is William's godmother, The Daily Mail (or should that be Fail? ;)) automatically assumed that the Duke is William's godfather. An equivalent would be saying that the Duchess of Cambridge is Prince Constantine-Alexios of Greece and Denmark's godmother because William is his godfather. It's well known that this is not how the godparentage (is this a word?) system works.

Back
Top Bottom