The British Nobility thread 1: Ending 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh my.. this woman absolutely does not have a clue what she's talking about. I had to actually watch the episode myself.. even though I abhor reality TV.

Total rubbish!

If Rosie Pope ever was a baroness (which I highly doubt!), then I can see why she isn't any longer.. especially if she cannot distinguish the difference between an actual member of the royal family and a member of the nobility!

I felt bad for her client..

Lord Wedgewood is not in any way related to the BRF. He is the 3rd great grandson of Josiah Wedgewood - a potter - a famous potter to be sure, but definitely not a royal.

Thanks for answering! I thought she seemed fishy, but I don't know enough about British nobility & aristocracy, so I wanted confirmation.

Nobility are NOT royal unless HRH like Earl and Duchess of Wessex, Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Duke and Duchess of Windsor, Duchess of Cornwall.

There is a protocol for forms of address to Dukes etc but used less and less and certainly nowhere near what was described

Last edited:
It's The Earl and Countess of Wessex. Sophie is not a Duchess. Charles and Andrew hold Ducal titles too, as does Her Majesty.

Are there any pics of British nobles who attended the royal wedding?

Interesting indeed. I would never work while breastfeeding though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Esme, Dowager Countess of Cromer, has died peacefully in hospital at the age of 88 after a short illness.

A former Lady-in-Waiting to the Queen, artist and author, she was a co-chairman of the Founding Council of the Rothermere American Institute, an international centre of excellence at the University of Oxford for the study of the United States.

Her father was the second Viscount Rothermere and she was an aunt of Jonathan Harmsworth, the fourth Viscount Rothermere and Chairman of The Daily Mail and General Trust, which publishes the Daily Mail.

Read more: Esme, the Dowager Countess of Cromer, dies | Mail Online

Does Scotland still have its own nobilty?if yes,where could I get the list?
As many sources say that the Scottish and British nobility intermixed many centuries ago.

Does Scotland still have its own nobilty?if yes,where could I get the list?
As many sources say that the Scottish and British nobility intermixed many centuries ago.

Yes there are still peerages extant in Scotland, although most of them hold an associated peerage either in Great Britain or the UK.

Not counting the Duke of Rothesay (Prince Charles' title in Scotland), there are seven Dukes:

The Duke of Hamilton
Current holder: Alexander Douglas-Hamilton, 16th Duke of Hamilton
(also Duke of Brandon in GB)
The Duke of Buccleuch and Queensberry
Current holder: Richard Scott, 10th Duke of Buccleuch, 12th Duke of Queensberry
(also Earl of Doncaster in England)
The Duke of Lennox
Current holder: Charles Gordon-Lennox, 10th Duke of Richmond, 10th Duke of Lennox, 5th Duke of Gordon
(also Duke of Richmond in England and Duke of Gordon in the UK)
The Duke of Argyll
Current holder: Torquhil Campbell, 13th Duke of Argyll
(also Duke of Argyll in the UK)
The Duke of Atholl
Current holder: John Murray, 11th Duke of Atholl
(all English titles became extinct or abeyant in 1957)

The Duke of Montrose
Current holder: James Graham, 8th Duke of Montrose
(also Earl Graham in GB)
The Duke of Roxeburghe
Current holder: Guy Innes-Kerr, 10th Duke of Roxburghe
(also Earl Innes in the UK)

The list of extant marquessates:

The Marquess of Huntly

Current holder: Granville Gordon, 13th Marquess of Huntly
The Marquess of Queensberry
Current holder: David Angus Douglas, 12th Marquess of Queensberry
(This is a separate title from the dukedom of Queensberry)
The Marquess of Tweeddale
Current holder: Charles Montagu Hay, 14th Marquess of Tweeddale
The Marquess of Lothian
Current holder: Michael Andrew Foster Jude Ker, 13th Marquess of Lothian

The list of extant viscounts:

The Viscount (of) Falkland
Current holder: Lucius Plantagenet Cary, 15th Viscount Falkland
The Viscount (of) Stormont
Current holder: David Murray, 7th Viscount Stormont
(also Earl of Mansfield in GB)
The Viscount of Arbuthnott
Current holder: John Campbell Arbuthnott, 16th Viscount of Arbuthnott
The Viscount of Oxfuird
Current holder: Ian Alexander Makgill, 14th Viscount of Oxfuird

There is a long list of earldoms, lords of Parliament and ladies - some of those earldoms hold higher peerages either in Great Britain or the United Kingdom, and are generally known by their higher rank.

For example - the Earl of Aberdeen is the Marquess of Aberdeen and Temair in the UK, the Earl of Southesk is the Duke of Fife in the UK and the Earl of Abercorn is the Duke of Abercorn in Ireland.

For the complete list of Scots peerages I would refer you to the Wikipedia list, which appears to be accurate. Just type "Peerage of Scotland" in the search bar.

Last edited:
Lord Justin Portman and his wife,Russian model Natalya Vodianova ,divorced after nine years of marriage.The couple has 3 children
Russian model Natalia Vodianova splits from aristocrat billionaire husband of nine year Justin Portman | Mail Online

It's The Hon Justin Portman, not Lord. He's the half brother of the current Viscount Portman.

I completely expected their break-up. She married him when she was 19 and pregnant with his child and came from an impoverished background in Russia (and he was in his 30s, and a playboy who never really had a proper job).

Are there any Dukedoms, even extinct, for locations in Wales?

Currently there are no Welsh ducal titles.

After the last Welsh Prince of Wales was killed in battle with the English in 1282, the principality was divided into English style counties. All former Welsh titles were abolished, and some of the native Lords were given English titles instead.

In 1535, Wales was officially incorporated into the peerage of England, where it has remained ever since.

The only ducal titles created within the territory of Wales were for the 1st Duke of Monmouth in 1663 (in the peerage of England), which became extinct in 1685, and the 1st Duke of Powis in 1689 (in the Jacobite Peerage), which was never formally recognized and became extinct in 1745.

There are five marquessates within the territory of Wales that are extant:
Carmarthen, Carnarvon, Anglesey, Abergavenny and Milford Haven.

Some of the earldoms include: Pembroke, Denbigh, Cardigan, Powis, Lloyd George of Dwyfor, Snowdon and Merioneth (held by the Duke of Edinburgh).

There is also a long list of barons with names like Mostyn, Raglan, Tredegar, Aberdare, Clwyd and Trefgarne. (the listed baronies are all extant)

Last edited:
There's of course the "prince of Wales" title.

The children of bigamious aristocrat and cousin of Princess Diana could inherit his estate and fortune
Duke of Manchester's children CAN inherit his fortune despite his bigamous marriage | Mail Online

While the court recognizes the Duke of Manchester's children as "legitimate" for the purposes of support and inheritance, this does not mean that his son Alexander will inherit the title.

The current heir apparent to the title is the Duke's younger brother, Lord Kimble Montagu, who has a legitimate son to follow him. Unless the Duke has a legitimate son from his current 3rd (or subsequent) marriage, Lord Kimble will be the next Duke of Manchester.

Rachel Maxwell-Hyslop dies aged 97

Rachel Maxwell-Hyslop - Telegraph
Kathleen Rachel Clay was born in London on March 27 1914 to Sir Charles Clay, the Librarian at the House of Lords, and the former Violet Robson. Rachel attended Downe House school and completed her education at the Sorbonne. But she loved the outdoors and initially wanted to be a pig farmer, only to be gently steered away from the career by her family. She fell in love instead with archaeology in 1933, when she went on her first dig.
[...]
She was camping in the Syrian Desert at the age of 83 and stood down as president of the British School of Archaeology in Iraq only on her 93rd birthday. She was appointed a fellow of the Society of Antiquaries in 1950 and a Fellow of the British Academy in 1991. Away from archaeology, she enjoyed gardening and playing the piano. She was also passionate about politics, and was a lifelong Liberal, following in the footsteps of her grandfather, the Liberal Attorney General, Lord Robson of Jesmond.
Rachel Maxwell-Hyslop, who died on May 9, married Bill Maxwell-Hyslop in 1938.
He died in 1993, and she is survived by two daughters and a son.

Back
Top Bottom