The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1481  
Old 03-11-2021, 01:53 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
The engagement was announced 11 March, 2021, between Richard Christian Beaumont [born 27 May, 1989], scion of the Viscounts Allendale, second son of the Hon Hubert Wentworth Beaumont -[born 13 Apr, 1956], of County Kildare, Ireland, and Katherine Emma [Kate] Beaumont [nee Abel Smith, born 11 March, 1961], of Nottinghamshire, and Elizabeth Louise Holland [b 1990], daughter of Michael G. Holland, of Bramcote, Nottinghamshire, and his wife the former Margaret H. Osborne.

Richard Beaumont, a grandson of the late life peer the Baron Beaumont of Whitley [1928-2008] is also a descendant of Queen Victoria.

Queen Victoria [1819-1901] > Prince Leopold [1853-84] > Princess Alice, Countess of Athlone [1883-1981] > Lady May Abel Smith [1906-94] > Richard Abel Smith [1933-2004] > Kate Abel Smith [b 1961] > Richard Beaumont [b 1989]

Source: https://peeragenews.blogspot.com/202...ngagement.html
Very Interesting. I don't tend to think much about Queen Vic's wider descendants beyond the obvious ones in various well known royal and aristocratic dynasties, which isn't surprising. Thank you.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #1482  
Old 03-18-2021, 09:39 AM
AC21091968's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,157
The artwork Scene At Marrakech by Sir Winston Churchill has been sold for £1.55 million at Christie's auction. The artwork itself was sold by the family of Field Marshal Bernard 'Monty' Montgomery, who was Churchill's friend.

Family of Sir Winston Churchill's top general sells painting by him for £1.55 million
Painting was gifted to Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery by the former wartime Prime Minister as a symbol of his gratitude
https://www.tatler.com/article/berna...chill-painting
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #1483  
Old 03-21-2021, 10:45 PM
AC21091968's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,157
There are two articles in the Sunday Times on the topic of Hereditary Peers in the House of Lords. This comes after two candidates for Speaker of the House of Lords (Baroness Hayter of Kentish Town and Lord Alderdice) want to axe 92 hereditary from sitting in the House of Lords. There were some discussions on social media after the article release. Unfortunately, I don't have the archived link for this article that is behind a paywall.

Is it time to end the farce of hereditary peers in the House of Lords?
The aristocratic jobs for the boys’ system that gave the elite an automatic role in running the country has been running on borrowed time for 20 years
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/i...ords-k62q30zq6

The Sunday Times view on hereditary peerages: abolish them now
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/t...-now-nlzhj7g95

The Daily Mail has picked up some content from the Times
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ary-peers.html
Reply With Quote
  #1484  
Old 03-22-2021, 06:34 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 3,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
There are two articles in the Sunday Times on the topic of Hereditary Peers in the House of Lords. This comes after two candidates for Speaker of the House of Lords (Baroness Hayter of Kentish Town and Lord Alderdice) want to axe 92 hereditary from sitting in the House of Lords. There were some discussions on social media after the article release. Unfortunately, I don't have the archived link for this article that is behind a paywall.

Is it time to end the farce of hereditary peers in the House of Lords?
The aristocratic jobs for the boys’ system that gave the elite an automatic role in running the country has been running on borrowed time for 20 years
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/i...ords-k62q30zq6

The Sunday Times view on hereditary peerages: abolish them now
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/t...-now-nlzhj7g95

The Daily Mail has picked up some content from the Times
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ary-peers.html
Thank you for sharing these articles!

On the basis of the publicly available content, it sounds as if the Speaker candidates were asked to give their opinions by The Times. I wonder whether anything in particular motivated the Times' reporters to conduct this investigation at this time. Are there ongoing discussions about considering another attempt at Lords reform?

The second headline appears to be inaccurate. As far as I can tell, The Times' editorial is not proposing that hereditary peerages be abolished, but that the present system of reserving seats in the House of Lords for hereditary peers be discontinued.

Can anyone explain to me why the hereditary peers' reserved seats have been permitted to remain for this long, since the system does not appear to be overly popular with the public? I can understand that because the majority of hereditary peers are considered reliable votes for the Conservative Party, Conservative governments may not have the appetite to remove them, but for what reason did the Labour governments want to keep them in their place?
Reply With Quote
  #1485  
Old 03-22-2021, 06:36 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 9,639
The 7th Marquess of Bute has died after a short illness at the age of 62.

The peer spent much of his time on his namesake Scottish island at his ancestral home, Mount Stuart, on the Isle of Bute, and had chaired the Board of Mount Stuart Trust since 2005. The 7th Marquess, once ranked 616th in the Rich List, was also a Formula 1 driver in 1986 as he partnered Ayrton Senna and raced under the name 'Johnny Dumfries'. During his racing career he also won the 24-hour race, Le Mans, in 1988.

The Marquess, a friend of the Prince of Wales, is believed to have died of cancer. The Crichton-Stuarts owned Dumfries House, having been inherited by the 2nd Marquess of Bute in 1814, it remained in his family until 2007 when the 7th Marquess sold it to the nation for £45 million due to the cost of upkeep.

The Marquess was descended from Mary Tudor, daughter of King Henry VII, and her husband, Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk.

The Marquess of Bute [created in the Peerage of Gt Britain, 1796], was also 12th Earl of Dumfries [in the Peerage of Scotland, cr 1633], 10th Earl of Bute [Peerage of Scotland cr 1703], 7th Earl of Windsor [Peerage of Gt Britain cr 1796], 12th Viscount of Ayr [Peerage of Scotland, cr 1622], 10th Viscount Kingarth [Peerage of Scotland cr 1703], 7th Viscount Mountjoy [Peerage of Gt Britain, cr 1796], 20th Lord Crichton of Sanquhar [Peerage of Scotland cr 1487], 12th Lord Sanquhar [Peerage of Scotland cr 1622], 12th Lord Crichton of Sanquhar & Cumnock, [cr Peerage of Scotland 1633], 10th Lord Mount Stuart, Cumra and Inchmarnock [Peerage of Scotland cr 1703], 8th Baron Mount Stuart of Wortley [Peerage of Gt Britain, cr 1761], 7th Baron Cardiff [Peerage of Gt Britain, cr 1776], 12th Baronet, of Bute [Nova Scotia creation, 1627], Hereditary Keeper of Rothesay Castle, and Hereditary Sheriff and Coroner of Bute.

John Colum Crichton-Stuart was born 26 April, 1958, son of the 6th Marquess of Bute, KBE [1933-93], and his first wife the former [Beatrice] Nicola Grace Weld-Forester [born 19 Nov, 1933], scion of the Barons Forester.

He succeeded his father, 21 July, 1993, as 7th Marquess.

The Marquess of Bute married firsly, 1984 [div 1993], Carolyn Waddell, daughter of Bryson Waddell; married secondly, 13 Feb, 1999, Serena Solitaire Wendell, daughter of Maj Jac Wendell [later Maxwell-Hyslop], and his wife the former Anthea Petronelle Hyslop, only dau of Maj Hugh John Maxwell Hyslop.

He leaves a son, John, and two daughters, Lady Caroline Crichton-Stuart [born 1984], and Lady Cathleen Crichton-Stuart [born 1986], from his first marriage, and a daughter, Lady Lola Affrica Crichton-Stuart [born 1999], from his second marriage.

The son, John Bryson Crichton-Stuart, styled Lord Mount Stuart [born 21 December, 1989], now succeeds as 8th Marquess of Bute.

Sources: Peerage News
https://www.angelfire.com/realm/gotha/gotha/bute.html
Reply With Quote
  #1486  
Old 03-23-2021, 10:15 PM
AC21091968's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,157
There are two daily YouGov polls on the House of Lords on the same day. One is on Church of England bishops, the other on Hereditary Peers.

Do you think the House of Lords should or should not continue to have places for Church of England bishops?
Should: 16%
Should Not: 53%
Don't Know: 31%
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics...ign=question_3

Do you think the House of Lords should or should not continue to have places for hereditary peers (i.e. Lords chosen from among those who have inherited their peerages)?
Should: 10%
Should Not: 63%
Don't Know: 27%
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics...ign=question_2
Reply With Quote
  #1487  
Old 03-24-2021, 03:22 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Midlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,495


Thank you for posting. I'm surprised there's still people who support the continuance of hereditary peers in the Lords.
Reply With Quote
  #1488  
Old 03-24-2021, 07:16 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Top End, Australia
Posts: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post


Thank you for posting. I'm surprised there's still people who support the continuance of hereditary peers in the Lords.
Playing Devil's advocate here, at least the hereditary peers are elected (all be it from a very small and exclusive cohort by a very small and exclusive electorate). The others are there essentially as political appointees.

Personally I would support a completely elected chamber. I don't agree with either method of selecting the current make-up of the Lords - political appointment or inheritance. I quite like the way of electing the Australian Senate through proportional representation which allows smaller parties to win seats.

Although I'm familiar with the system in the US (and the criticisms of the way in which senators are elected) I have to admit I'm not familiar with other bicameral systems.
Reply With Quote
  #1489  
Old 03-26-2021, 05:48 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 3,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
There are two daily YouGov polls on the House of Lords on the same day. One is on Church of England bishops, the other on Hereditary Peers.

Do you think the House of Lords should or should not continue to have places for Church of England bishops?
Should: 16%
Should Not: 53%
Don't Know: 31%
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics...ign=question_3

Do you think the House of Lords should or should not continue to have places for hereditary peers (i.e. Lords chosen from among those who have inherited their peerages)?
Should: 10%
Should Not: 63%
Don't Know: 27%
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics...ign=question_2
Interesting. Thank you very much for sharing these polls, AC21091968.

Fascinating how differences of opinion between party, age, gender, et cetera are mostly minor, and how in many cases there are no perceptible trends. For instance:

Men are likelier than women to be supportive (12% of men versus 8% of women) of continuing to reserve places in the Lords for hereditary peers, but they are also likelier to be opposed (69% of men versus 58% of women).

Likewise, individuals in the 18-24 year old age bracket are less supportive of it than individuals in the 50-65 age bracket (4% of 18-24 year olds versus 11% of 50-65 year olds), yet they are also less opposed to it (64% of 18-24 year olds versus 69% of 50-69 year olds).


Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
I'm surprised there's still people who support the continuance of hereditary peers in the Lords.
I am more surprised that governments, Labour, coalition, and Conservative, have so far supported the continuance of hereditary peers in the Lords when the public opinion weighs so strongly against it.
Reply With Quote
  #1490  
Old 03-26-2021, 05:58 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post

I am more surprised that governments, Labour, coalition, and Conservative, have so far supported the continuance of hereditary peers in the Lords when the public opinion weighs so strongly against it.
Because it suits both parties to have a fairly toothless upper chamber that they can stack with their own party Life Peers rather than an elected one. For me that's a big issue as well as the hereditary peers, just ennoble your friends to vote for you!

And it's also one of those issues where most people agree "something should be done" but most also don't really care very strongly either way unless a big piece comes out in The Times and it's in the news again for a while.

There are occasional noises about reforming it, including other faith leaders, fully Life Peers who are experts in their field, partly elected or fully elected etc but nothing much gets done. It's been exactly the same for nearly 25 years.

It will get reformed at some point soon-ish I'm sure but it hasn't been on anyone's priority list for a while.
Reply With Quote
  #1491  
Old 03-26-2021, 06:03 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 3,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
Because it suits both parties to have a fairly toothless upper chamber that they can stack with their own party Life Peers rather than an elected one. For me that's a big issue as well as the hereditary peers, just ennoble your friends to vote for you!

And it's also one of those issues where most people agree "something should be done" but most also don't really care very strongly either way unless a big piece comes out in The Times and it's in the news again for a while.

There are occasional noises about reforming it, including other faith leaders, fully Life Peers who are experts in their field, partly elected or fully elected etc but nothing much gets done. It's been exactly the same for nearly 25 years.

It will get reformed at some point soon-ish I'm sure but it hasn't been on anyone's priority list for a while.

Thank you for explaining. But why have none of the various governments simply removed the seats for hereditary peers (which I would have thought would be particularly compelling for the Labour governments as the hereditary peers are nearly all Conservative or crossbench), while still retaining for themselves the power to appoint life peers to the House of Lords?
Reply With Quote
  #1492  
Old 03-26-2021, 06:31 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
Thank you for explaining. But why have none of the various governments simply removed the seats for hereditary peers (which I would have thought would be particularly compelling for the Labour governments as the hereditary peers are nearly all Conservative or crossbench), while still retaining for themselves the power to appoint life peers to the House of Lords?
I think because it wouldn't end up as simply removing the remaining hereditary peers. It would have to end up as a full on overhaul of the upper house, which a) they didn't necessarily want either b) would be time consuming and expensive and messy.

And after 2003 Blair was entirely bogged down with the Iraq war and Brown had a difficult three years in office for various reasons. Not to mention they were both trying to reform things the British public cared about a lot more - the NHS and the education system and the ever present EU debate.

Blair at one point was also accused of using covert class warfare as a way to distract from everything else going on (Hunting with Dog Act 2004). This was the act that might have triggered a full on reform of the HOL and it was threatened if they didn't pass it.

David Cameron once made brief noises about taking a look at the HOL but nothing came of it.
Reply With Quote
  #1493  
Old 03-26-2021, 08:50 AM
QueenMathilde's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 828
Does this go here? They can move it if it doesn't. I liked looking at the different items in the auction


https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...n-auction.html
Reply With Quote
  #1494  
Old 04-08-2021, 10:56 PM
CrownPrincessJava's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ,, Australia
Posts: 1,003
Sir Richard Lexington Sutton, 9th Baronet, hotelier and one of Britain's richest men, has been found murdered in his Dorset mansion. His wife, Anne suffered knife wounds and is in hospital in a critical condition. A 34-year-old man, known to Sir Richard, has been charged with murder. Horrifying!

https://www.news.com.au/finance/busi...546a109097f106
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
aristocracy, armstrong-jones, british nobility, countess, countess of snowdon, douglas, earl of snowdon, marie, phillip, snowdon, von hofmannsthal


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
British Royal Family Picture Thread james British Royals 67 10-25-2020 01:33 AM
The Royal Family of Spain Picture Thread, Part 1 Anna_R Royal Family of Spain 120 08-23-2020 08:56 AM
British Royal Family Current Events 2: November 2005-June 2006 Elspeth Current Events Archive 187 06-11-2006 01:10 AM
Infanta Leonor, News and Pictures Part 1: November 2005 - February 2006 Elsa M. Current Events Archive 192 02-18-2006 06:11 AM




Popular Tags
#royalrelatives #royalgenes abu dhabi american american history ancestry baby names british british royal family british royals brownbitcoinqueen carolin china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing cpr dresses duchess of sussex duke of sussex earl of snowdon edward vii family tree general news thread george vi gradenigo hereditary grand duchess stéphanie history hochberg house of windsor hypothetical monarchs imperial household interesting introduction jewellery jewelry kids movie list of rulers luxembourg maxima monarchy mountbatten nepal nepalese royal family pless princess alexia (2005 -) princess chulabhorn princess dita princess eugenie princess laurentien princess of orange queen elizabeth ii queen victoria resusci anne royal balls royal events royal family royal jewels royal spouse royalty royalty of taiwan royal wedding russian court dress spain stuart sussex swedish queen thai royal family tradition unfinished portrait united states united states of america wedding gown welsh


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:49 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×