The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1441  
Old 01-13-2021, 04:01 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 5,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Expenses for peers are very generous (for not having to do very much) & open to abuse:


https://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/...expenses-work/

https://www.politicshome.com/news/ar...its-23m-a-year
So, under the current rules; are all life peers automatically members of the House of Lords? My impression was that only a selection of them was but it seems that only applies to the hereditary peers and not to the life peers. So, if I understand you correctly all life peers do receive benefits because every single one is seated in the House of Lords?!

And what if they no longer wish to sit in the House of Lords; do they loose these financial benefits?
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #1442  
Old 01-13-2021, 04:06 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 28,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
The Lady Mary Cecilia Colman, nee Bowes-Lyon died at her home on2 January, 2021 exactly four weeks before her 89th birthday; she was maternal first cousin of Her Majesty the Queen, and wife of Sir Timothy Colman, KG, sometime Lord Lieutenant of Norfolk.

Lady Mary served as an Extra Lady-in-Waiting to HRH Princess Alexandra, the Hon Lady Ogilvy, from 1970.

She was born on 30 January 1932 as the second of four children and elder daughter of Captain the Honourable Michael Claude Hamilton Bowes Lyon (1893-1953), of The Royal Scots, and his wife Elizabeth Margaret, nee Cator (1899-1959), scion of that landed gentry family.

A niece of Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother, and a first cousin of HM The Queen, her father was the eighth child and fifth son of the Sir Claude George Bowes-Lyon, 14th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne, KG, KT, GCVO (1855-1944) & his wife Nina Cecilia, nee Cavendish-Bentinck (1862-1938).

The Honourable Michael Bowes Lyon was reported to have watched from the gallery of the House of Commons as the Abdication Bill was passed, thus witnessing the moment his sister became Queen Consort in 1936.

Mary Bowes Lyon, a childhood playmate of her cousins the Princesses Elizabeth and Margaret, was advanced to the rank of an Earl's daughter, in 1974, following the succession in 1972 of her brother, Fergus, as 17th Earl of Strathmore & Kinghorne (1928-1987).

Mary Cecilia Bowes Lyon married on 10 November 1951 Timothy James Alan Colman (b. 19 September 1929) of Bixley Manor, Norwich, scion of the Norfolk mustard family, and descended maternally from the Adeane landed family.

Her husband was Lord Lieutenant of Norfolk, 1978-2004, and chairman of the Eastern Counties Newspaper Group. He was appointed a Knight of the Order of the Garter in 1996.

She is survived by Sir Timothy and by three daughters Sarah (b.1953), Sabrina (b.1955) & Emma (b.1958) two sons James (b.1962) & Matthew (b.1966) and as well as ten grandchildren and fourteen great-grandchildren. Her eldest daughter, Sarah Troughton, is Lord Lieutenant of Wiltshire.

Sources: https://peeragenews.blogspot.com/202...1932-2021.html
Descendants of Sir Claude George Bowes-Lyon, 14th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne
https://www.angelfire.com/realm/goth...trathmore.html

How sad that another cousin of Queen Elizabeth II has passed away.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #1443  
Old 01-13-2021, 04:32 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
So, under the current rules; are all life peers automatically members of the House of Lords? My impression was that only a selection of them was but it seems that only applies to the hereditary peers and not to the life peers. So, if I understand you correctly all life peers do receive benefits because every single one is seated in the House of Lords?!

And what if they no longer wish to sit in the House of Lords; do they loose these financial benefits?
Yes all life peers are eligible to attend the Lords. The hereditary peers only have their representatives as you say.

They can only claim allowances if they attend in person. They only have to register that they've turned up in order to claim their money & they are then free to stay or go.
Reply With Quote
  #1444  
Old 01-13-2021, 05:02 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
How sad that another cousin of Queen Elizabeth II has passed away.
It must be sad when your generation starts to pass in increasing numbers. HM must have had many maternal cousins. There were a lot of Bowes-Lyons!
Reply With Quote
  #1445  
Old 01-13-2021, 05:25 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 28,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
It must be sad when your generation starts to pass in increasing numbers. HM must have had many maternal cousins. There were a lot of Bowes-Lyons!
I was thinking the same about the numerous Bowes-Lyons cousins.
Reply With Quote
  #1446  
Old 01-13-2021, 05:34 PM
AC21091968's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Expenses for peers are very generous (for not having to do very much, in fact for literally just having to turn up & show their face) & open to abuse:


https://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/...expenses-work/

https://www.politicshome.com/news/ar...its-23m-a-year
I know that the topic on the future of House of Lords has been discussed to death.

The people who wants to abolish House of Lords come from both side of the political spectrum, not just on the socialist side.

The expenses for peers certainly gave them the ammunition to abolish the House of Lords.

The Brexit turmoil and recent "ping-pong" or "table tennis" (Commons pass through a Bill, Lords amending the Bill, Commons rejecting the Lord's amendment and sends the Bill back to Lords...) between the two Houses repeatedly brings up the argument that the House of Lords' scrutiny is undemocratic. They argue that the peers in the House of Lords are not elected by the people (in elections) like MPs in House of Commons and yet "given a lot of privileges". Don't get me wrong, these activists hates MPs as well, but because they are elected in general elections, they get less criticism compared to Peers in the House of Lords.

The Prime Minister recently has send Leavers to the House of Lords, so that more Brexit Bills could pass through the Lords or even just satisfy Brexiteer/Leavers who wants to abolish House of Lords.

Here is the link to the PARLY twitter account showing the "Ping-pong" on the U.K. internal market bill.
https://twitter.com/PARLYapp/status/1337035848047595521
Reply With Quote
  #1447  
Old 01-13-2021, 05:53 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,238


That's very funny

ps - I love the Australian House of Representatives. When they have an
argument they really go for it.
Reply With Quote
  #1448  
Old 01-13-2021, 06:04 PM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 3,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post
Viscountess Weymouth appeared at the 'Loose Women' TV show today, january 13:


** rex gallery **
The pedant in me is compelled to point out that Emma ceased being Viscountess Weymouth on 4 April 2020. Since then she has been The Marchioness of Bath. This fact seems to have bypassed Monica Greep of the Daily Mail who wrote an article about Emma's appearance on 'Loose Women'. I hope 'Loose Women' got it right.
__________________
"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, -- and call off Christmas!!!"
Reply With Quote
  #1449  
Old 01-13-2021, 06:36 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 5,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
I know that the topic on the future of House of Lords has been discussed to death.

The people who wants to abolish House of Lords come from both side of the political spectrum, not just on the socialist side.

The expenses for peers certainly gave them the ammunition to abolish the House of Lords.

The Brexit turmoil and recent "ping-pong" or "table tennis" (Commons pass through a Bill, Lords amending the Bill, Commons rejecting the Lord's amendment and sends the Bill back to Lords...) between the two Houses repeatedly brings up the argument that the House of Lords' scrutiny is undemocratic. They argue that the peers in the House of Lords are not elected by the people (in elections) like MPs in House of Commons and yet "given a lot of privileges". Don't get me wrong, these activists hates MPs as well, but because they are elected in general elections, they get less criticism compared to Peers in the House of Lords.

The Prime Minister recently has send Leavers to the House of Lords, so that more Brexit Bills could pass through the Lords or even just satisfy Brexiteer/Leavers who wants to abolish House of Lords.

Here is the link to the PARLY twitter account showing the "Ping-pong" on the U.K. internal market bill.
https://twitter.com/PARLYapp/status/1337035848047595521
In the Netherlands, the 'First Chamber' cannot amend any laws, they can either accept (most of the time) or reject (rarely; but at times when they consider it critical they do (but unlike the Lords they are chosen representatives although not directly); at other times they might for example clarify certain aspects when a law isn't fully clear, so the 'acts of parliament' might be used for interpretation). So, they are considered the 'Chamber of Reflection'.
Reply With Quote
  #1450  
Old 01-13-2021, 07:33 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 9,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
It must be sad when your generation starts to pass in increasing numbers. HM must have had many maternal cousins. There were a lot of Bowes-Lyons!
Only two od them are still alive:
Honourable Michael Albemarle Bowes-Lyon (b.1940)[youngest child of Honourable Michael Claude Hamilton Bowes-Lyon (1893-1953)] & Simon Alexander Bowes-Lyon (b.1932)[son of Honourable Sir David Bowes-Lyon (1902-1961)]:

Descendants of Sir Claude George Bowes-Lyon, 14th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
aristocracy, armstrong-jones, british nobility, countess, countess of snowdon, douglas, earl of snowdon, marie, phillip, snowdon, von hofmannsthal


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
British Royal Family Picture Thread james British Royals 67 10-25-2020 02:33 AM
The Royal Family of Spain Picture Thread, Part 1 Anna_R Royal Family of Spain 120 08-23-2020 09:56 AM
British Royal Family Current Events 2: November 2005-June 2006 Elspeth Current Events Archive 187 06-11-2006 02:10 AM
Infanta Leonor, News and Pictures Part 1: November 2005 - February 2006 Elsa M. Current Events Archive 192 02-18-2006 07:11 AM




Popular Tags
#royalrelatives #royalgenes abu dhabi american history anastasia 2020 armstrong-jones baby names british royal family buckingham palace canada carolin cht coronavirus cpr duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex earl of snowdon elizabeth ii emperor family tree general news thread george vi gradenigo haakon vii hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume history hochberg hypothetical monarchs interesting introduction jewellery jewelry jumma kids movie list of rulers maxima mountbatten names nepal nepalese royal family pless prince harry princess alexia (2005 -) princess chulabhorn princess dita princess elizabeth princess eugenie princess laurentien princess of orange queen louise queen maud resusci anne royal balls royal events royal family royal jewels royal spouse royalty royalty of taiwan royal wedding russian court dress settings spain stuart thailand thai royal family videos von hofmannsthal wedding gown


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:48 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×