The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-05-2020, 08:20 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Lord Bath, Alexander Thynn has died aged 87. He was admitted to hospital on March 28th, and confirmed to have Coronavirus. He has several underlying health issues.

He leaves two children, son Ceawlin Viscount Weymouth and daughter Lady Lenka Thynn.

https://twitter.com/longleat/status/...728020480?s=21

Old 04-05-2020, 09:17 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
In much of Europe the nobility officially has been abolished or at least stripped of its rank and privileges. Which leads me to wonder about the practical issue: Even if the UK Parliament were to abolish the peerage officially, would it effectively change the system, aside from removing the hereditary peers from the House of Lords? We can see today from other European countries which no longer recognize nobility that in all probability, the abolished peers and their male heirs would continue using their titles, passing on their inherited wealth and lands to their eldest sons (and not to their daughters), and enjoying their class privilege and influence.

Just as a clarification of my part of yesterday's discussion, I see perpetuating the existing system as the result of respecting (preserving) it. But I know you see it differently.
But wealth is not really the problem. There are obscenely wealthy "commoners" as well. It is about having political influence without democratic mandate, which is the problem.

In Germany we see Beatrix von Storch née Herzogin von Oldenburg, Berengar Elsner von Gronow, Christian Freiherr von Stetten, Alexander Graf von Lambsdorff, Michael von Abercron, Hermann Otto Prinz zu Solms-Hohensolms-Lich, Matern Freiherr Marschall von Bieberstein, Hanns-Georg Ritter von der Marwitz, Wilhelm von Gottberg, and other blue-blooded parliamentarians as elected members of the Bundestag (the Lower House), with exactly the same electoral mandate as Angela Merkel, to name a fellow member of the Bundestag.

So one can live on an ancestral estate, have wealth, have a title and run for Parliament, like any "commoner".

Old 04-05-2020, 09:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
But wealth is not really the problem. There are obscenely wealthy "commoners" as well. It is about having political influence without democratic mandate, which is the problem.

[...]
I had the impression that Durham was for the most part addressing wealth, land ownership, and social class (see message #1264 in particular).
Old 04-05-2020, 01:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Lord Bath with his giraffes
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1265217
Old 04-05-2020, 04:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Lord Bath, Alexander Thynn has died aged 87. He was admitted to hospital on March 28th, and confirmed to have Coronavirus. He has several underlying health issues.

He leaves two children, son Ceawlin Viscount Weymouth and daughter Lady Lenka Thynn.

https://twitter.com/longleat/status/...728020480?s=21
Viscountess Weymouth about the death of her father in law

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-mW4LqjCIo/
Old 04-05-2020, 05:59 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

RIP. Lord Bath was quite the eccentric and a controversial character too, perhaps.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 04-05-2020, 06:48 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
RIP. Lord Bath was quite the eccentric and a controversial character too, perhaps.
Yes, I remember when I was quite young and he occasionally popped up on Animal Park I thought he was the quintessential eccentric lord. It was later I read about the more controversial things.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:33 AM
Courtier

Short clip from the Smithsonian on Chatsworth which mentions its Kennedy links.

Old 04-07-2020, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Wonderful insight and I was just think at how Kathleen Agnes Kennedy and William Cavendish both died tragically.
Old 04-07-2020, 04:31 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Wonderful insight and I was just think at how Kathleen Agnes Kennedy and William Cavendish both died tragically.
Yes they did at young ages sadly.

In Black Diamonds it covers Lady Hartington's relationship with Earl Fitzwilliam after her husband's death.
Old 04-07-2020, 04:34 PM
Courtier

The Fitzwillams pile is even bigger than Chatsworth.

Old 04-12-2020, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The death of Sir Stirling Craufurd Moss, OBE aged 90 in London was announced by his widow Lady Moss.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-04-12/...FkTJJyYAU0_PlI
Old 04-20-2020, 01:43 PM
Serene Highness

Article about Earl Cardigan and his son & the estate.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ion-11-5m.html
ETA link w/ background info. about the long running disputes involving the Earl & various parties. http://tweedlandthegentlemansclub.bl...r-brigade.html
Old 04-25-2020, 07:57 AM
Majesty

A New Descendant of Prime Minister Winston Churchill was born:

An increase in the descendants of Sir Winston Churchill. Lily Hope Maud, was born 19 April, 2020, to Flora Caroline Soames [born 1982], scion of the Soames landed family, and her partner [Charles] Alexander Macdonald-Buchanan [born 1970], scion of that landed family.

Lily is a great-great granddaughter of Churchill, and a great-great-great-granddaughter of the Victorian prime minister, Lord Rosebery.

Mother Flora, is the interior designer daughter of the Hon Jeremy Bernard Soames [born 25 May, 1952], by his wife the former Susanna Keith [born 23 Oct, 1952], and is a granddaughter of the late Baron Soames, GCMG, GCVO [1920-87], by his wife Mary Spencer-Churchill [1922-2014], scion of the Dukes of Marlborough, Lady of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, daughter of the Rt Hon Sir Winston Spencer-Churchill, KG [1894-1965], Prime Minister 1940-45, and 1951-55.

[Charles] Alexander Macdonald-Buchanan [born 1970], ceramic artist, is the fourth son of Alexander James Macdonald-Buchanan [1931-2017], by his his wife the former Elizabeth Vivian Smith [born 30 March, 1939], scion of the Barons Bicester, daughter of Maj the Hon Hugh Adeane Vivian Smith [1910-78], by his wife the former Lady Helen Dorothy Primrose [1913-1998], daughter of the 6th Earl of Rosebery [1882-1974], son of the 5th Earl of Rosebery [1847-1929], Prime Minister 1894-5.

Source: https://peeragenews.blogspot.com/202...anan-born.html
Old 05-11-2020, 01:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

Lady Alexandra Hooper [nee Knatchbull], daughter of the 3rd Earl Mountbatten of Burma, and wife of Thomas Hooper, has given birth to a second son

https://peeragenews.blogspot.com/202...en-hooper.html
Old 05-21-2020, 04:58 PM
Courtier

I began watching "An American Aristocrat's Guide to Great Estates" this past weekend. The first show featured the Duke and Duchess of Argyll. I was reading about them and one of the things I read said that the Duchess is the Patroness of the Royal Caledonian Ball. This got me to wondering: Do the aristocracy still give fancy balls that some of the royal family attend wearing ball gowns and tiaras? I have read so many books on the British royal family and was wondering if there are balls given today like they were in the days of Queen Victoria and Queen Mary, and if so, are they on the scale where tiaras and ballgowns are worn? Is there still a "London Season"?
Old 05-21-2020, 05:07 PM
Courtier

There isn't a Season as such, although you generally see a lot of posh people at Royal Ascot, Wimbledon, the Henley Regatta, etc. Funny how they don't seem to have any trouble getting tickets!

Queen Charlotte's Ball was revived a few years ago, but mainly as a charity fundraising event, and the Royals don't attend. The Royal Caledonian Ball's also mainly a charity thing: it's held in London but raises money for Scottish charities. It's been going since the 1840s, but fell foul of coronavirus this year :-( .
Old 05-21-2020, 05:20 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I guess “the season” disappeared with the removal of the debutantes being presented to court in 1958.

Those who strive for the old ways run The London Season events but they’re attended by a lot of Russians, Chinese and Middle Eastern ladies whose parents dream of Downton Abbey.

http://thelondonseason.org/the-london-season/
Old 05-22-2020, 04:42 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
There isn't a Season as such, although you generally see a lot of posh people at Royal Ascot, Wimbledon, the Henley Regatta, etc. Funny how they don't seem to have any trouble getting tickets!

Queen Charlotte's Ball was revived a few years ago, but mainly as a charity fundraising event, and the Royals don't attend. The Royal Caledonian Ball's also mainly a charity thing: it's held in London but raises money for Scottish charities. It's been going since the 1840s, but fell foul of coronavirus this year :-( .
Thank you.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:42 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I guess “the season” disappeared with the removal of the debutantes being presented to court in 1958.

Those who strive for the old ways run The London Season events but they’re attended by a lot of Russians, Chinese and Middle Eastern ladies whose parents dream of Downton Abbey.

About the London Season The London Season
Thank you. I have been planning to read the book "The Last Season" and was wondering if it is pretty descriptive of how "The London Season" used to be. I think there are two books by that name.

Tags
aristocracy, british nobility