The British Nobility thread 1: Ending 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't know how it is in other countries but here a person can leave whatever they want to their children or even disinherit a child from a will.

Not sure that is discrimination....sounds to me like the wishes of the person who is leaving the will.

LaRae

Prince George's godparent

It's a playground for the rich and famous with lavish yachts permanently docked in the harbour.

So naturally Portofino is the ideal spot for Britain's youngest billionaire, the Duke of Westminster, 26, who inherited £9.3bn from his father last year, to enjoy an early summer break.

Hugh Grovesnor was spotted enjoying an afternoon dip in the Mediterranean with his mother Natalia and a group of friends before relaxing in the sun on a boat.

But their vessel was a rather more modest affair than compared to the super yachts frequently seen in the millionaire's paradise - more in keeping with the Duke's low key personality.

There was nothing showy about his appearance as he relaxed on board, wearing a white t-shirt and blue swimming trunks.
Read more: Duke of Westminster holiday in Portofino with his mother | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:
Don't know how it is in other countries but here a person can leave whatever they want to their children or even disinherit a child from a will.

Not sure that is discrimination....sounds to me like the wishes of the person who is leaving the will.

LaRae

This testamentary freedom is very, very limited in continental Europe when there is a surviving partner and/or children involved. The anglosaxon countries still have lots of freedom. Most continental countries follow the Code Napoléon and this mainly has the aim to protect of the widow(er). This to avoid that a death is equal to a poverty trap.

When a parent dies and leaves a widow(er) and children, in general the distribution is that a widow(er) gets half plus one portion of the estate and the children one portion each.

Which means in a situation with a surviving spouse and two children:
- widow(er) 4/6 of the inheritance
- child 1/6 of the inheritance
- child 1/6 of the inheritance

And to protect the widow(er) for too greedy children (forcing to sell the house to get their share): the portions of the children are a claim on an estate and are only to be effectuated after the death of the remaining widow(er).

Last edited:
Countess Mountbatten of Burma, first cousin to the Duke of Edinburgh, has reportedly died at the age of 93. RIP

The story is not complete. When gender discrimination is lifted, then there is still discrimination between children. The late Lord had eight daughters. In his option his eldest daughter should have received all. And what about his seven other girls then?

The continental system, based on the Code Napoléon, guarantees that every child has the right on an equal share of their parents' inheritance.

However a fair system, at the same time this is the explanation why in the UK peers often still enjoy an ancestral estate while in continental Europe often the original estate is sold off: giving each child an equal portion is fragmenting it all.

The article in Express is too superficial and one-sided. There are advantages to the British system (historic estates are continued) but also disadvantages (discrimination between heirs). Express should have highlighted this to give a two-sided view.

If the man had eight sons would you question who should be heir? No. Eldest son inherits. So why is it discriminatory fir the eldest daughter over her sisters? Your argument for keeping a title and estate together holds no water here. If she inherited, would remain in tact. He is asking that what happens in royalty happens with nobles, that the eldest is heir plain and simple. Could be fine easily enough in the uk. Could just be done so it's not retroactive, so sons are not stripped if currently heirs. ot would only apply to girls already born if they have no brothers as well.

But this case isn't simple. The fact is the Baron was trying to do what you want, Keep the estate together. He failed and now it's divided.

The new Baron inherits nothing but a title. The title passes along the normal inheritance line.mit passed to a very distant cousin.

The estate though doesn't. Because the land and money are not attached to the title. Customarily it would pass to new holder, but this family no.

Why? Because of the 7th Baron. The 7th Baron wrote a will before he died. He had two sons and one daughter. But he had no grandsons. He established in his will that the estate would pass to the new Baron. Which yes is the way it usually happens. But what differs is the amendment. It states if the new Baron failed to have a son, the estate would revert back to the original family. One son died, and the other became 8th Baron. But he died childless. Because she was a woman, his sister Catherine could not inherit nor her line. So instead a cousin inherited. That cousin was the father of the recently deceased Baron. The money and land passed down to the now deceased Baron. But when he just died, the will came into play. His title passed to his cousin, but the wealth instead reverts back to the original line. While Catherine may have been passed over, her daughter now inherits the estate. Not the title, but all the finances behind it.

So the female line granddaughter of the 7th Baron has inherited. Instead of the daughter of the 10th. Not even a male line granddaughter.

The family home is an interesting issue. The family doesn't actually own the house. They own everything in the house, and most if not all the labs its on. But not the house. They sold it in the 40s to the national trust to avoid the paying of upkeep. But they own everything else. They rent the furnishings to the trust which opens the house for viewers and such. The old Baron lived in a smaller house on the property and still over saw it, and his daughter after him.

Beautiful place. Its an estate that can rival many of the palaces in Europe.

Last edited:
What a wonderful exhibition,its looks visually stunning and very interesting.

Hi I wanna know a couple of very obscure, discrete aristocratic families who almost never appear in press, maintain the old-world lifestyle, and still a bit well-to-do , living cozy n comfortable, if not luxurious lives in their country homes. Preferably from Dukes, earls in that order. I wanna feel their mystique. Not like the Percy's or Grosvenors. Strictly no Page 3.Not even the Cavendish's. . Still more obscure.. Deep inside the country.. The moors.. the manors..

Consuelo had a very elegant look to her didn't she?

So fascinating ....I wonder how much adjustment needed to be done when marrying into the nobility even though she was a Vanderbilt..although perhaps not as much as I would think.

LaRae

He was a great man. Most High, Potent and Noble Prince

Last edited:
David Somerset, the 11th Duke of Beaufort, and the president of the Badminton Horse Trials, has died at the age of 89.

The duke died peacefully at his home on the Gloucestershire estate, on Wednesday, August 16.

He is survived by his second wife, Miranda, and four children Harry, Anne, Edward and John, and is succeeded by his eldest son Harry, The Marquess of Worcester. His first wife, Lady Caroline Jane Thynne, died in 1995.

He was a sixth cousin, once removed, of Queen Elizabeth II, through their common ancestor William Cavendish, 3rd Duke of Devonshire.

The duke held the office of Hereditary Keeper of Raglan Castle, was President of the British Horse Society between 1988 and 1990, and was chairman of Marlborough Fine Art. He ranked 581st in the 2008 Sunday Times Rich List, with an estimated wealth of £135m in land.
Read more: https://www.horsetalk.co.nz/2017/08/17/badminton-president-duke-of-beaufort-dies/

Until they divorce she will be the duchess,I had no idea that they were estranged.

Has anyone heard of any updates in regards to the Goodwood House robbery last year? I was wondering if anything was ever recovered.

David Somerset, 11th Duke of Beaufort

Service of Thanksgiving, at noon, Friday 25th August at St Michael and All Angels Church, Badminton

From Court Circular

Clarence House
25th August, 2017
The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall were present at the Service of Thanksgiving for the Life of the Duke of Beaufort which was held at St Michael and All Angels Church, Badminton, Gloucestershire, today.

Buckingham Palace
25th August, 2017
The Princess Royal was represented by Brigadier Andrew Parker Bowles at the Service of Thanksgiving for the Life of the Duke of Beaufort which was held at St Michael and All Angels Church, Badminton, Gloucestershire, today

My goodness what a very handsome young man....darn but he is just gorgeous. Hope he has a great team to help him run that estate for he will need it.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous:

I am really very saddened to hear this news - may she rest in peace.

For decades she was deemed to be an eccentric recluse, but it is no wonder given the way her family treated her.

The reality, I personally think, is that she was a very elegant, interesting and intelligent woman who lived a quiet life in the centre of London. In recent years, I read that she was often seen walking in the Royal Parks, she had friends with whom she met for lunch at good restaurants.

I hope there was some sort of reconciliation between the dowager Countess and her children before she died.

I hope there was some sort of reconciliation between the dowager Countess and her children before she died.

I don't believe there was. She was estranged from her children and apparently had never seen her grandchildren.

Its all so terribly sad that the family rift went with her to the grave.

RIP the late Dowager Countess of Lucan..

It cannot have been an easy life, a gambling, violent wastrel of a hubby, discovering the body of his victim, knowing that she herself was his intended target, dealing with the aftermath and attendant endless publicity after his disappearance and bringing up their Children alone, not knowing if he was alive or dead..

Back
Top Bottom