The British Nobility thread 1: Ending 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had read a little that they had a brief split before their engagement cause of his "unreasonable behaviour". Seems there may have be underlying problems for a long time and marriage was not the solution.

Yes, there seems to be a pattern of behavior with those two. During their previous split Missy traveled to Thailand with her sister and mother. And now during her divorce preceding she's been living in Japan. If they ever reconcile, hotels in Korea, Vietnam, Cambodia, and China should be put on notice.

So, youngest daughter of the Duke of Ciudad Rodrigo, Grandee of Spain 1st Class, will marry in Spain. It's interesting.

Is the groom related to Tatiana Santo Domingo?

Looks quite idyllic,wonder if we'll see any guests from Monaco?

Sir John Leslie, 4th Baronet has died aged 99 and was a member of a prominent Anglo-Irish family and a cousin of Sir Winston Churchill.

Sir John was a popular and well known figure in the Irish Republic,he was awarded the Legion d'Honneur at the French embassy in Dublin last November.His family seat,Castle Leslie was the setting for the 2002 wedding of Paul McCartney and Heather Mills.

Irish WWII hero Captain John Leslie dies - RTÉ News

An Ard Ri;

I saw the article in the Irish Times today too. In the strictest sense though, Sir John was a titled commoner, rather than a member of the nobility.

Viscount and Viscountess Weymouth attended the London Evening Standard Londoner's Diary 100th Birthday Party in London:

** gettyimages gallery **

Last edited:
The Duchess of Rutland has said that it is right that inheritance passes through the male line and is ‘delighted’ that her daughter will not inherit the dukedom because it involves so much hard work.

Emma Manners, said she did not want her eldest child Violet, 22, to bear the responsibility of heading the estate even though she considers herself to be CEO of Belvoir Castle and its surrounding parkland.

Speaking at The Hay Festival, the Duchess said that if was right that her fourth child Charles, 16, the Marques of Granby should inherit.

“The aristocracy is a bit like being a farmer’s daughter from the Welsh hills, everything goes to the boys, quite rightly, but in our case to the oldest son,” she said.

“Like any parent a Duke will pass his fortune through the generations but his title as we know has to be inherited by the son. The English peerage and Violet has said ‘thank goodness for that mum. I know how hard it is.’

“Charles will inherit and the titles and land go with that. But it’s a responsibility and it’s a responsibility that I am delighted my daughter doesn’t have to have.”
Read more: Duchess of Rutland: I'm glad my daughter will not inherit dukedom*

Viscount and Viscountess Weymouth attended as Sir Elton John performs on stage at Longleat to celebrate the Safari park's 50th anniversary on June 12:

** Pic **

Last edited:
Wednesday, The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will be guests of honour at a gala dinner at Houghton Hall, Norfolk.

The event, entitled A Taste of Norfolk, is being hosted by The Marquess and Marchioness of Cholmondeley, with all guests invited as a special thank you for supporting the nook appeal.

The Duchess of Cambridge launched the Nook Appeal in 2014 and is Royal Patron of EACH.

William and Catherine are friends of the couple, Kate was seen chatting with Marchioness of Cholmondeley at the horse trials a few weeks ago.

Houghton Hall is magnificent and for those not familiar with the family I provide a few links.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Cholmondeley,_7th_Marquess_of_Cholmondeley

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houghton_Hall

Person Page David George Philip Cholmondeley, 7th Marquess of Cholmondeley

Last edited:
The Duke of Buccleuch and Queensberry appointed as High Steward of Westminster Abbey

The Dean and Chapter is delighted to announce the appointment of the Duke of Buccleuch and Queensberry as High Steward of Westminster Abbey. He will take up the appointment in October 2016 when Lord Luce retires after five years' service in the role on the occasion of his 80th birthday.

The office of High Steward has its origins in the 16th century, following the dissolution of the monastery in 1540. After the later dissolution of the Marian monastery, the office was revived in 1561 and held in succession by private secretaries of the Monarch, William Cecil and Robert Cecil, over a long period.

The High Steward had a significant role until the establishment of modern local government in Westminster a little over a hundred years ago in maintaining the local highways, byways and bridges, on behalf of the Dean and Chapter, as instructed in Queen Elizabeth I's Charter of 1560.The High Steward, the most senior honorary appointment of the Dean and Chapter, acts principally as an external adviser to the Dean and Chapter and is present at many of the most important services held in the Abbey.

This is not the first time a Duke of Buccleuch has served as High Steward. The fifth Duke was High Steward from 1842 to 1884.
Read more: Westminster Abbey » Duke of Buccleuch appointed as High Steward of Westminster Abbey

Last edited:
The government will consider courtesy titles for husbands of female peers and for same-sex spouses and civil partners of peers.

Peers: Females:Written question - HL662 - UK Parliament

Husbands of Baronesses in House of Lords could be given their own title rather than plain ‘Mr’, Government says

Baroness Deech, who has been campaigning for spouses of female peers to get a title […] said: “The women I have talked to all say the same thing: their husbands really don’t care. It is we women who see it as an issue of status versus partnership.”

She added: “I am saying that the sharing of titles is a matter of expressing partnership – because if you speak to men, and you say why is your wife called lady, when you are a lord, they say ‘well she supported me’.

“She is my partner. Well it works both ways. Either do away with the whole thing or if you keep the lord and the sharing it should be based on partnership.

“It would express the fact that in general the husbands or partners of the women who have titles like Baroness have been just as supportive and share in their life stories as the other way round.”

Last edited:
The 10th Earl of St Germans, who has died aged 75, enjoyed all the attributes that the popular press expects of the aristocracy – a distinguished lineage, burdensome inheritance, family tragedy and personal eccentricity that flirted with Byronic dissolution.

A central figure in the dalliance with the counter-culture by members of the peerage that began in the 1960s, Lord St Germans personified a certain brand of rakish hippiedom thereafter. Yet he did not allow his fondness for relaxed social norms to compromise a near-feudal grip on his family estate in south-east Cornwall, whose preservation he helped to assure.

His “Elephant Fayre”, a festival that took place for a number of years on the Port Eliot estate, attracted some 10,000 revellers, travellers and devotees of the New Age, initially free of charge. The festival took its name from the beast that is the Eliot family’s crest, and until the Fayre’s demise in the late 1980s one of its prime attractions was a giant wooden elephant. Its howdah could be reached by a ladder concealed within the elephant’s hollow core.
Read more: The Earl of St Germans, founder of the Port Eliot Festival – obituary

Viscountess Weymouth and Lady Violet Manners attended launch of new healthy hangout, Squirrel, in South Kensington on July 12:

** Pic **

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom