The British Nobility thread 1: Ending 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous:
It would be a tremendous task to restore the Clandon Park House.

Last edited:
I think it so sad that these are the things people travel to Britain to see, and yet the government it trying to tax the owners out of existence. Only through luck and their utter determination to keep their family seats are they still standing. Basically, ever two generations they are taxed about 150%.

What people tend to forget too is that many of them are still the family's home, the place they live in, and out of spite or jealousy people often make cruel remarks. I do not know if the Earl and his family actually reside in the house, or if it is just open to the public, but it still has to be horrible for them. Like any family whose house has burned down, you don't wish it to happen to any of them.

An engagement ring that belonged to Mary, Duchess of Roxburghe has sold at auction for £167,000 - almost 14 times its estimated value.
The Duchess married George Innes-Ker, 9th Duke of Roxburghe, at Westminster Abbey in 1935 and Sotheby’s estimated her engagement ring would sell for between £8,000 and £12,000.
The Cartier diamond engagement ring was left to her nephew, the broadcaster Bamber Gascoigne, following her death last July aged 99.

Bamber Gascoigne nets £8.8m from selling off Duchess of Roxburghe's heirlooms | Daily Mail Online

It is excellent news. Hopefully Mr Gascoigne will be able to restore the house and keep some cash for routine maintenance.

The Lady Sarah Clutton, née Fitzalan-Howard, died on 14 June 2015 aged 73.

Lady Sarah Margaret Fitzalan-Howard was born on 28 September 1941, the third of the four daughters of the 16th Duke and Duchess of Norfolk.
She was married since 1988 to Nigel Clutton; she didn't have issue.

She was the heiress presumptive to the title of Lady Herries of Terregles, whose currently holder is Lady Mary Mumford, older sister of the deceased; the new heiress is their younger sister Jane, Marchioness of Lothian.

COUNTY NEWS: Charitable Lady Sarah Clutton ‘dies peacefully’ - Belfast Newsletter

And in fact she doesn's say anything too much extraordinary, IMHO.
Just the most important point of the interview is that she hasn't been actually fired by Sheik Hamad bin Abdullah Al-Thani and that all has been quickly solved.
Nothing outstanding and just a little advertising for her activity.

Does anyone (or is anyone able to find out or tell me how to find out) if Sally, Duchess of Newcastle, and Anne, Duchess of Leinster, are still alive? I would really appreciate it :flowers:
Sally, Duchess of Newcastle died July 9 2015. She and the Duke of Newcastle were divorce. Since there are 2 daughters by his second wife there are living members of the family, Sally was not the last trace of the family.

Such sad and shocking news. Sounds like it'll more than likely be either an Aortic Aneurism that gave way or Sudden Cardiac Arrest. If it was an SCA, then considering both he and his Father have both passed from Heart Attacks, I hope the Family is tested for the Grinkov Factor. After the sudden death of Olympic Pairs Champion Sergei Grinkov from a sudden Heart Attack that was unexpected, when asked, his Widow and Partner Katia Gordeeva told the Coroner's Office to do whatever testing needed to be done to find out the cause.

The circumstances were the same as this. First his Dad and then Sergei died from Heart Attacks *and* Katia and Sergei had a Daughter, so if it was a genetic flaw somewhere in the DNA, she wanted it found so Daria could be tested, as well as Sergei's Sister and her Family. Sure enough, there was a flaw in his DNA and when testing was done on other victims of an SCA, that same flaw was found, which is now called The Grinkov Factor.

There are two younger Sons and Brothers left behind and considering how both their Father and Brother have passed away, I really, really hope someone they know in the Medical Community who knows about this test talks to them about it. They need to know if that same flaw is in their DNA so they can at least know about it and at least be prepared in some way.

My deepest Sympathies go to the Frost Family at this terrible time. Definitely gone too soon. :(

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I guess this goes here;

@RoyalCentral: The Succession to Peerages bill (which would allow women to inherit titles in UK) will be debated in the House of Lords on 11th September.

@RoyalCentral: The Succession to Peerages bill failed to make progress in the last Parliament, though is being given another chance in the Lords.

Torquhil Campbell, 13th Duke of Argyll, is not a man to put on aristocratic airs. A visit to his castle in western Scotland finds the duke greeting delighted US tourists and donning an apron for a stint behind the gift-shop till.

“I don’t see myself as a duke or whatever,” he says, taking a break from his hands-on role at what is one of Argyll’s biggest visitor attractions. “I just see myself as a person who’s very fortunate to run a really good business.”

Inveraray Castle and the duke’s 65,000-acre estate are hardly an ordinary business, however. And these are sensitive times to be an aristocratic landowner in Scotland, where calls for land reform have become a hot political topic since last year’s hard-fought referendum on independence from the UK.
Read more: Why the Duke of Argyll fears his Scottish castle is under attack - FT.com

I guess this goes here;

@RoyalCentral: The Succession to Peerages bill (which would allow women to inherit titles in UK) will be debated in the House of Lords on 11th September.

@RoyalCentral: The Succession to Peerages bill failed to make progress in the last Parliament, though is being given another chance in the Lords.

I would love to see this get up, even if it was still male preference with females able to inherit if there are no sons. That would allow Beatrice to inherit York which I think would be wonderful.

I would love to see this get up, even if it was still male preference with females able to inherit if there are no sons. That would allow Beatrice to inherit York which I think would be wonderful.
She would then be the first woman to hold the duchy of York in her own right. Yeah, that would be nice.

Last edited:
No Ordinary Lady | Town & Country Magazine UK

Kinvara Balfour has carved out a niche for herself in the challenging worlds of fashion and technology, without trading on her aristocratic status. She tells Genevieve Fox why she’s not resting on her laurels.

In a starry meritocracy where titles no longer cut it unless you are a character in Downton Abbey, Lady Kinvara Balfour, niece of the Duke of Norfolk and distant cousin of Anne Boleyn, has taken her status and run with it. Not for her the taking of tea in a stately or child rearing, charity fundraisers and chats with the chinless on the parterre. The 39-year-old energy ball has assiduously broken the mould, creating a niche for herself as a tech head, fashion pundit, playwright, public speaker and entrepreneur.

The Lead belonging to the Church where Princess Diana's Father is buried has been stolen. The vicar has held a service where the thieves were prayed for and apparently its going to take £40 k to replace the stolen Lead.

The Lead belonging to the Church where Princess Diana's Father is buried has been stolen. The vicar has held a service where the thieves were prayed for and apparently its going to take £40 k to replace the stolen Lead.

That is awful!:ohmy: Is that news?

Back
Top Bottom