The British Nobility thread 1: Ending 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the British nobility, an Earl may have two secondary titles: Viscount _ and Other title.
Here is the scenario:
The Earl's heir is Viscount _. The Viscount's son has the last of the paternal grandfather's secondary titles, the Other title.
What title does his son get if this great-grandson is born when Great-Grandfather is still the Earl?

I think the boy will only be styled "The Honourable" Mr XY"

I don't think Earls get 3 titles. It appears it's just Earl and Viscount. The earldoms of Snowdon and Spencer are just Earl and Viscount. You probably have to be a Marquis at least to get 3 titles. A dukedom would definitely have 3 titles.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I don't think Earls get 3 titles. It appears it's just Earl and Viscount. The earldoms of Snowdon and Spencer are just Earl and Viscount. You probably have to be a Marquis at least to get 3 titles. A dukedom would definitely have 3 titles.

The Earldom of Spencer is not just an Earl and a Viscount. There is actually a number of titles in there - Charles Spencer is 9th Earl Spencer, 9th Viscount Spencer of Althorp, 9th Viscount Althorp (Great Britain), 4th Viscount Althorp (U.K.), and 9th Baron Spencer of Althorp.

His ancestor, the 1st Earl Spencer, was first created 1st Viscount Spencer of Althorp and 1st Baron Spencer of Althorp in the Peerage of Great Britain on 3 April 1761. Later, on 1 November 1765 he was created 1st Earl Spencer and 1st Viscount Althorp in the Peerage of Great Britain. Go forward a bit, and in 1905 the younger son of the 4th Earl Spencer, the then Hon. Charles Spencer, was created 1st Viscount Althorp in the Peerage of the United Kingdom in order to become Lord Chamberlain of the Household. His elder half-brother, the 5th Earl Spencer, died with no children, so in 1910 the 1st Viscount Althorp inherited his brother's titles, becoming the 6th Earl Spencer.

Most titles seem to be handed out in pairs - so a Viscount is also created an Baron, or an Earl is also created a Viscount, but they also tend to be piled onto titles already existing. If a peer only has 2 titles then it means that the first holder of their title didn't have any additional titles before hand.

Actually, on that note, the Earl of Snowdon holds 3 titles as well - he was created 1st Earl of Snowdon and 1st Viscount Linley in the Peerage of the United Kingdom for his wedding in 1961, and then in 1999 he was offered a life peerage when the House of Lords was being reformed (he was expected to refuse it, like the members of the Royal Family, but shocked everyone by not), and so is now also Baron Armstrong-Jones.

From the Wikipedia page of the current Earl Spencer, he was styled as Hon. Charles Spencer until he father became Earl - no use a courtesy title as the Earl's grandson just like Charles Armstrong Jones has no courtesy title as Lord Snowdon's grandson.

But we see the grandsons of the Dukes of Kent and Gloucester using the courtesy Baron title.

So only thing I was trying to point out is if a grandson of a Earl doesn't use a courtesy title than his son isn't going to have one either.

The Duke and Duchess of Devonshire are set to host yet another contemporary feast in the form of an exhibition at their stately Derbyshire home. Opening today, ‘Make yourself comfortable at Chatsworth’ presents 75 contemporary chairs, from design classics to one-off prototypes, scattered through the home’s many rooms.

Following on from Michael Craig Martin’s installation throughout the park (see W*181), this year’s temporary exhibition presents the house’s majestic rooms in a new light, creating an intriguing visual discourse throughout.
More: Sitting pretty: Chatsworth hosts contemporary feast of chairs inviting you to 'Make Yourself Comfortable' | Design | Wallpaper* Magazine

https://ru-royalty.livejournal.com/2904656.html#comments

The above post by marisols contains photos of and information about several items of the late Mary, Duchess of Roxuburgh, to be sold at Sotheby's. Mr Bamber Gascoigne is forced to sell the late Duchess' possessions as he is in dire need of funds to restore West Horsley Place

Last edited:
I hope the heir manages to save the house, it looks like a truely wonderful place. It's weird that he didn't know that he was about to inherit it though.

Goodness, what a remarkable story - oh to have an elderly aunt like that! I also hope they achieve it and restore the place - it's a rare chance old houses like this can be restored.

Maybe Bamber thought that the Duchess would leave it to the National Trust or something?

The challenge of preserving and repairing such a house must be very very daunting,not sure if I'd take it on!

Yes, it might be daunting. But this heir has nothing to loose, has he? He is retired and does not have to bother about his work and his career anymore. So he can spend what time and energy he has on the house. And if things don’t work out, he can still sell. As he says in the article there is no pressure on him to preserve the family seat. His aunt even expected that he would sell. It is really a good thing that he has an interest in history and enjoys exploring the lost treasures of that house. Not many 80 year old gentleman would be up to that.

The challenge of preserving and repairing such a house must be very very daunting,not sure if I'd take it on!

Daunting indeed - I patched a few knocks and scrapes in the utility room last year and still can't bring myself to get the paint out!

I'm really not sure a couple of million pounds will cover it. Both structural work (inside and out) and interior decorating will cost a great deal. I suppose it will depend on whether Bamber wants to restore the place completely to it's original state and style, or simply make the place sound and redecorate.

As he aims to open the estate to the public, I think he wouldn't go for simple redecorations. But I understood that his first aim is to keep state of the house from getting worse. So the first preference is probably structural work. But a new roof alone must cost a fortune for such a house! And that is just one thing! I certainly admire his attempt at restoring it, but I also think it is very much worthwhile.

Onslow Family Seat destroyed by Fire

This afternoon, the 18th century Clandon Park, seat of the Earls of Onslow [in Surrey] has been destroyed by fire.
Administered by the National Trust, the fire started in the basement, and swept through the house. Still ablaze it appears that little could be saved, the wonderful collections seem lost, and the house is unlikely to be rebuilt. Mercifully no-one died, but the Onslows and the nation have lost much tonight !

Clandon Park House in Surrey hit by major fire - BBC News

It's so sad when a piece of our history and heritage is destroyed. If possible I hope the National Trust will be able to restore it again.

They might be able to restore the building. But all the interious, the period funiture, tapestries, pictures... It is such an awful loss of historic artefacts.

Such devastation if anything survived that inferno it would be a miracle!

Onslow Family Seat destroyed by Fire

This afternoon, the 18th century Clandon Park, seat of the Earls of Onslow [in Surrey] has been destroyed by fire.
Administered by the National Trust, the fire started in the basement, and swept through the house. Still ablaze it appears that little could be saved, the wonderful collections seem lost, and the house is unlikely to be rebuilt. Mercifully no-one died, but the Onslows and the nation have lost much tonight !

Clandon Park House in Surrey hit by major fire - BBC News
It is very unfortunate that the fire claimed priceless art and the family portraits were lost. It is not surprising though that the fire started in the basement, often the most ignored part of a big building.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom