The British Nobility thread 1: Ending 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a question for those of you who know the British nobility. I was looking around on the internet at some stately homes and country estates. When I ran into Carlton Towers in Yorkshire, that nowadays is mainly used of wedding receptions and other events. I know for sure it belonged to 17th Duke of Norfolk and since 1991(according to both Wikipedia and Carlton Tower's website) it has been lived in and run by Lord Gerard Fitzalan-Howard, brother of the current Duke, and his family. What I didn't understand is whether the house belongs to Lord Gerard now or it is still in the duke's possession.

James Stanhope was the seventh Earl Stanhope.
He had served with the Grenadier Guards in the First World War.
He won a Distinguished Service Order and the Military Cross for bravery.
Later Earl Stanhope became a Cabinet Minister and First Lord of the Admiralty.

George Henry Cadogan, 5th Earl of Cadogan, was one of those Etonians who had been allowed to visit Albert Edward, the Prince of Wales at Winsdor when they were boys and who had accompanied the Prince on his holiday in the Lake District.

In The Royal Victorians, Christopher Hibbert wrote:

Albert Edward, the Prince of Wales, despite the unrest in St. Petersburg, insisted on leaving for Russia to attend the funeral of Tsar Alexander II, who had been killed by a bomb which had been flung at him as he was returning to the Winter Palace from a military review. The Prince of Wales nor Princess Alexandra, who was the new Tsarina's sister had any doubt that they ought to go.
And Lord Granville (George Leveson-Gower, 2nd Earl of Granville), the Foreign Secretary, considered that there were strong diplomatic advantages to be gained.
'I have no doubt that your Royal Higness's visit will be productive,' Granville wrote to Albert Edward.

Ralph Neville, 1st Earl of Westmorland, realizing that his children by Joan Beaufort were of far greater dynastic importance than those born to his first wife, left only the earldom of Westmorland to his eldest son.
Ralph arranged for the bulk of his lands to pass to Joan's son, Salisbury.

On leaving Sandringham, King Edward VII frequently went to stay for a week or so with William Cavendish, the 7th Duke of Devonshire at Chatsworth, or with Edward Guinness, the 1st Earl of Iveagh at Elveden, the first of those several country house visits which he liked to make each year.

In The Royal Victorians, Christopher Hibbert wrote:

Once a week he (King Edward VII) asked Charles Hardinge (1st Baron Hardinge) to have breakfast with him at Buckingham Palace, and he discussed foreign politics 'most of the time at these interviews with great breadth and interest'.

John Churchill, Duke of Marlborough, won victory after victory in command of the British and allied armies in the War of the Spanish Succession.

My favorite photographs of the Duchess of Devonshire are the 1941 photo and the picture of her on her wedding day.
A wonderful bride!! :heartflower::heartflower:

Last edited by a moderator:
The bride-to-be's mother is part of the nobility, although the bride-to-be and her husband don't have any noble titles, so I'm not sure if this article belongs here. Please feel free to move if not.

The setting will be magnificent Woburn Abbey, home of the Duke and Duchess of Bedford. The month July.
This is the magical setting for the marriage of art expert Julia Delves Broughton and the billionaire Hans Rausing, 50, a former heroin addict whose drugs-ravaged wife Eva was found dead and decomposing at their £70 million Chelsea house in 2012.
More than anything, the wedding is seen as an opportunity for their two families to put behind them a seemingly endless list of tragedies - murder, suicide, drugs and a fatal accident - that have plagued them for decades.

Tetra Pak billionaire Hans Rausing, his new love, and a bitter family rift | Mail Online

Lord Carnarvon of Downton Abbey to get £1million TV payday for location fee | Mail Online
28 May 2014

Highclere Castle: £1million TV payday for the real Earl of Downton

Highclere Castle - better known to fans of the Julian Fellowes period drama as fictional stately home Downton Abbey - was once in such dire straits that its owners, the Earl and Countess of Carnarvon, threatened to pay for repairs by selling off surrounding land for development. Luckily, the hit TV show has ensured that the Sir Charles Barry-designed castle, which was completed in 1878, can finally pay for its own upkeep.

I hear Lord and Lady Carnarvon have negotiated an unprecedented £1million location fee for Highclere to feature in the fifth (and possibly final) series of Downton. It started shooting earlier this year and will be broadcast in September. A spokesman for Carnival Films, which produces Downton Abbey for ITV, yesterday remained coy about the princely sum, saying: ‘We do not comment on matters relating to Carnival Films’ business agreements.’

I understand that the company has agreed to pay £1million for 30 days’ filming [US$1.7m, €1.2m, AUS$1.8m], equivalent to around £33,000 a day. By comparison, a standard rate for shooting a television drama in a stately home is around £2,500 a day.

The Carnarvons originally signed a three-series deal, rumoured to be worth £500,000 a series although, at the time, the Countess dismissed the figure as being more than the fee for all three series put together. However, following the global success of the show, the couple felt Highclere’s appeal had been greatly undervalued. 'Nobody predicted its fantastic appeal at that time,’ an insider tells me. ‘Downton Abbey is a goldmine for everyone involved.’

The castle’s appearance in the series resulted in a dramatic influx of paying visitors, and a run on gift-shop trinkets. The Carnarvons realised that Carnival could hardly decamp to film elsewhere and had the upper hand in negotations.

v Highclere Castle
Image courtesy of Wikipedia under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-alike license 2.0

Attachments

• Highclere Castle.jpg
    Highclere Castle.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 864
Martin @WindsorEditor · 5h
The Duke of Wellington is 99 today. Next year the Duke turns 100 & marks 200th anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo.

Dman , yes indeed and the Wellingtons are titled Prince of Waterloo.

Dman , yes indeed and the Wellingtons are titled Prince of Waterloo.

Other European titles of His Grace The Duke of Wellington are His Highness The Prince of Waterloo,the Most Excellent Duke of Ciudad Rodrigo and Duke of the Victory.

Ciudad Rodrigo is Spanish & Victory is Portuguese.

Mary, Duchess of Roxburghe, née Lady Mary Crewe-Milnes, died on 2 July 2014, aged 99.
She was the first wife of the 9th Duke of Roxburghe (the father of the present Duke), with whom she was married from 1935 until they divorced in 1953; their marriage was childless.

Here's an obituary:
Mary, Duchess of Roxburghe - obituary - Telegraph

Ralph Neville, 1st Earl of Westmorland, realizing that his children by Joan Beaufort were of far greater dynastic importance than those born to his first wife, left only the earldom of Westmorland to his eldest son.
Ralph arranged for the bulk of his lands to pass to Joan's son, Salisbury.

Paraphrased from Wikipedia: Ralph's first son was to inherit the Earldom, but the bulk of the Neville lands were left to Ralph's wife, Joan Beaufort, with the intention of their eldest son, Richard Neville, 5th Earl of Salisbury. Ralph's first son, Ralph II, agreed to this, but he predeceased his father, causing Ralph's heir to be his grandson, Ralph III. III disputed the inheritance, but didn't get much out of it.

Interesting article. One thing it says is that it is unlikely to be any more non-royal dukedoms made. Yet, as someone in the =comments rightly said, soon there will be two more non royal dukes. When the current Dukes of Gloucester and Kent pass away, their sons, who are not Princes will be the holders of two Dukedoms that are no longer part of the royal family. It would seem that this will be the way that new hereditary titles will be created. This could also hold true for the Earldom of Wessex if James has a son, and whatever title Harry receives and he has a grandson.

Duke of Northumberland says Scottish independence would "cause difficulties" - The Journal
The Duke of Northumberland has spoken out against Scottish independence, saying it would “create difficulties”.

Ralph Percy, the 12th Duke of Northumberland and owner of Northumberland Estates, says he crosses the border between England and Scotland every day.

The Duke, who is based at his ancestral home at Alnwick Castle in Northumberland, is supportive of the union, adding “if it isn’t broke, then don’t fix it”.

“I personally cross the border every day from one part of the estate to the other,” he said.

“I see no difference to those living on one side of the border to the other.
“A new boundary would create difficulties.

“I think it [the union] has worked very well for a long time and if it isn’t broke then don’t fix it.”

The Duke made the comments at a debate about the Scottish independence referendum in Berwick upon Tweed, in Northumberland, organised by the BBC.

RIP to the longest lived and [certainly] the nicest Mitford sister.. the delightful 'Debo' !

The British Nobility thread

That's such sad news even if she had an extraordinarily long and interesting life.
I've been a fan of the Mitford sisters for years.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
This is very sad news, but what an extraordinary life she had. Last year there was a documentary broadcast over several weeks about Chatsworth House and The Dowager Duchess was filmed in a couple of the episodes.
Her legacy at least for me will be how incredibly successful Chatsworth House is, without any involvement thank goodness of English Heritage or the National Trust.

Back
Top Bottom