The British Nobility thread 1: Ending 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That was an interesting article, Al bina.

Royal Caledonian Ball

Though Scottish, Irish, and Welsh noblemen mingled within English society on rather equal terms, it must have been a desire for something of their own during the London season, which urged the Duke and Duchess of Atholl to host a private ball for their Scottish friends residing in London.
By 1849 it had become a subscription ball for the purpose of collecting funds for various Highland charities and one of the preeminent events of the Season.
This voucher cost one guinea, and revelers dressed in tartan of their families, the men in full Highland dress and the women in white dresses with tartan sashes. The President of the Royal Caledonian Ball was the Duke of Atholl, who “usually brought with him his own private army, The Atholl Highlanders, to play before the ball and to pipe onto the floor everyone taking part in the ceremonial set reel before performing an eightsome reel. This is a dance of Atholl origin and was introduced in 1890, before which it was the practice to arrange quadrilles.”
When the Prince of Wales ascended the throne as Edward VII, the ball was honored with his patronage, an arrangement which exists till this day!

Royal Caledonian Ball official site

Royal Caledonian Ball 2011

Marquess solves financing issues
The dotty Marquess of Bath and his son, Viscount Weymouth, are both trustees of the Longleat Charitable Trust. But twice in the past five years the pair have been reprimanded by the Charities Commission for filing late accounts. In 2007, the accounts were ten days late and last year they were four days overdue.
Now, however, the tardy two’s problem has been solved. If a charity has an income of less than £10,000, by law it doesn’t have to file accounts. Although in 2008 the trust had an income of more than £280,000, by 2010 that had reduced to just £1,991 — so no accounts need to be produced.
Queen Elizabeth takes a royal fancy to Liz Hurley's horse Memory | Mail Online

A title just for Fellowes?

Poor dear Julian Fellowes was so eager to gain title through his wife Emma, niece of 3rd Earl Kitchener. She was not amused nevertheless.

Plans to cut House of Lords to 300 rejected

BBC News - Landale online: Plans to cut Lords to 300 rejected
Ministers want to cut the Lords to just 300 mostly-elected members as part of a radical reform of parliament.
But a joint committee of MPs and peers examining the government's plans has concluded that the Lords should have around 450 members.
They will argue the Lords cannot work effectively with just 300 members to do the work of scrutinising legislation.

More on House of Lords

Why have a House of Lords if there’s not a single lord left in it? - Telegraph
The last thing we need is a second chamber filled with yet more professional politicos.
Dr Johnson said that “most schemes of political improvement are very laughable things”, and that was 250 years before Nick Clegg tried to reform the British constitution.
Last year, Mr Clegg failed to persuade the British people, in a referendum, that the Alternative Vote system was the answer to their political ills.
This year, he hopes to persuade both Houses of Parliament to invent a new House of Lords. He thinks the present House is “an affront to the principles of openness which underpin a modern democracy”.

Alexander Montagu, the 13th Duke of Manchester, attacks British RF

Sandringham murder: Duke of Manchester in sick attack on the Royal Family | Mail Online
His scandal-ridden life has thus far seen him married three times, imprisoned twice in Australia, deported from Canada and exposed as a bigamist.
But, even now, in his 50th year, the 13th Duke of Manchester shows no sign of tempering his famously erratic behaviour.
Currently holed up in Newport Beach, California, with his third and current wife Laura, Alexander Montagu, whose four-times married father the 12th Duke was jailed for fraud, has launched a bizarre attack on the Royal Family.
In a manner which will recall the sort of smears made against Prince Philip following the death of Princess Diana in 1997, he accuses the royals of being behind the death of Alisa Dmitrijeva, the 17-year-old Latvian student whose body was discovered on the Sandringham estate over Christmas.

Last edited:
Earl of Mansfield's son James Murray, accused of raping schoolgirl, 16, is cleared | Mail Online
An Eton-educated aristocrat who admitted having sex with a schoolgirl within days of her 16th birthday walked smiling from court yesterday after he was cleared of rape.
The Honourable James Murray, 42, second son of the Earl of Mansfield, thanked his family for their ‘unstinting support’ as the tawdry details of his relationship with the troubled foster child were detailed in court.

Elizabeth, the Dowager Duchess of Northumberland turns 90

Happy 90th, Duchess Elizabeth - Local News - Northumberland Gazette
Family and friends aged between three and 93 gathered for a special early party at Alnwick Castle, to celebrate Elizabeth, Duchess of Northumberland’s 90th birthday.
[...]
Duchess Elizabeth, who turns 90 tomorrow, is the mother of the current Duke of Northumberland, Ralph Percy, one of seven children she had with husband Hugh, the 10th Duke. The couple married in 1946.

Everyone expects this sort of thing from Lindsay, though. Not sure Victoria meant to do this. Maybe she did though. Dress seems built to be very...flyaway.

Everyone expects this sort of thing from Lindsay, though. Not sure Victoria meant to do this. Maybe she did though. Dress seems built to be very...flyaway.

The headline was more thna a bit sensational wouldnt you agree......Lindsay was actually wearing a dress just the colour was "nude". Victoria was more likely to pop out pretty easily, but not exactly a shock for her.

Well, in the past Lindsay has "designed" her wardrobe so that her panty-less state would be photographed. I guess it's possible that Victoria, at her age, is up to the same sort of stunts - while Lindsay appears to be calming down!

Well at 35 Victoria is a bit past it when it comes to being an "it girl" but I suppose she will take publicity anyway she can get it these days.

Debutantes - YouTube

A rather charming portrait of the aristocracy and the prewar debutante season. The now elderly couples being interviewd about their youth remind me so much of my late parents, especially the comments made by one of the ladies about young gentlemen wearing white gloves when dancing so as not to leave sweat stains on the backs of ladies dresses. My mother often comments when we were younger on how our generation lacked glamour and romance.

Knighthood annulled

BBC News - Fred Goodwin: A very British humiliation
Two members of the House of Lords have been jailed; Lord Archer for perjury, Lord Watson for fire-raising. They sit in the upper house of the nation's legislature, but they haven't had their titles removed for serious breach of the law.

Debutantes - YouTube

A rather charming portrait of the aristocracy and the prewar debutante season. The now elderly couples being interviewd about their youth remind me so much of my late parents, especially the comments made by one of the ladies about young gentlemen wearing white gloves when dancing so as not to leave sweat stains on the backs of ladies dresses. My mother often comments when we were younger on how our generation lacked glamour and romance.

This was fascinating!
There was a similar video at Kensington Palace recently along with a display of Deb dresses; it was like another world!

(In a way, I wish the Queen hadn't discontinued the court presentations; I understand it, with so much corruption creeping in, but it was such a glamorous thing to see!) One of the women commented about how people would stand in the street to look at the Debs and their clothes- it must have been fun.

Debutantes - YouTube

My dear NGalitzine,

Thank you for posting this link.:flowers: I thoroughly enjoyed viewing a civilization that is truly "gone with the wind" (my apologies to Margaret Mitchell). Those days will never be recaptured. I was amazed at the resiliency of these debs--the war turned their society upside down but they did not seem to mind. There did not seem to be any snobbishness once they took jobs with their fellow citizens or any sense of entitlement which made them feel superior to the others. In fact, it seemed to be the other way around--people expected the aristocrats to put on airs. It must have been lovely to have experienced both worlds.

Hey, my 1100 Post!:ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom