The Battenberg - Mountbattens

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't find this article about the Mountbattens and Nehru particularly shocking. It's pretty much a well-known story. But I do find the Mountbattens' conduct of their marriage shocking since I'm a rather conventional soul. But the Mountbattens seem to have enjoyed rather unconventional marital situations (another example, Nadia Milford Haven and her husband, the second Marquess, aka George Mountbatten, who helped raise Prince Philip).

:previous:
The Lady Mountbatten and Jawaharlal Nehru relationship has been common knowledge for decades, as have the details of Lord and Lady M's dalliances.
I've no idea why it's now suddenly become a revelation.

I think it would be more correct to say that the 'affair' has been a common knowledge for Royal Watchers and those who are interested in History. To most people, especially those outside the UK, it is hardly a well-known fact: while most people know about Nehru and some have heard about Lord Mountbatten (mostly, because of his tragic death), few know or care about details of their private lives.

As for why the 'revelation' has been made now, slow news day + rumours of upcoming movie might have prompted DM editors to come up with something.

I guess it's only a matter of time before someone rediscovers - shock, horror, gasp! - Lord and Lady Milford Haven's lifestyle, interests and, shall I say, 'collectables'.

This story wasn't shocking for me too, nothing new for royal watchers. I think it could have something to do with the upcoming movie about the Mountbattens that the Daily Mail rehashes that issue again. It is said that Cate Blanchett will play Edwina in this movie, but I have no serious information about it.

Btw, here's a video in which Lady Pamela Hicks is talking about her mother Edwina's and Nehru's relationship:

'Nehru, Edwina united in souls, not bodies': IBNLive.com > Videos

The Lady Mountbatten and Jawaharlal Nehru relationship has been common knowledge for decades, as have the details of Lord and Lady M's dalliances.
I've no idea why it's now suddenly become a revelation.
Was it a slow day?

What do you believe - was Mountbatten gay or just bisexual? He doesn't seemed to have much interest in woman, but I believe he was a great gentleman to them!

What do you believe - was Mountbatten gay or just bisexual? He doesn't seemed to have much interest in woman, but I believe he was a great gentleman to them!

I think he was one of those men who thinks of women as people, not possessions, and isn't possessive and jealous.

I'm reading "Indian Summer" at present. The author writes at one point, "The fact that Mountbatten was not threatened by gay men does not automatically imply that he himself was gay; it could be taken to signify the opposite. His reaction on being told that one of his servants was gay was characteristically unflusterd. 'Of course,' he replied, 'All the best valets are.' The conclusion drawn by most of those who knew him was that, while he enjoyed flirtation with everyone, Dickie was not terribly interested in actually having sex with anyone."

Last edited:
Yes, but Mountbatten also said he and Edwina spent their whole married lives in and out of other people's beds. He had a long-term mistress who was even photographed on vacation with Edwina and Patricia! I don't have access to my Mountbatten books at the moment, but he got around albeit probably not as much as Edwina or his sil did!

Yes, but Mountbatten also said he and Edwina spent their whole married lives in and out of other people's beds. He had a long-term mistress who was even photographed on vacation with Edwina and Patricia! I don't have access to my Mountbatten books at the moment, but he got around albeit probably not as much as Edwina or his sil did!
I don't remember Edwina "getting around" much. Just some well-publicized, long-term affairs. Then again, I read her bio. a good decade ago and Warren knows what tricks my brain plays on the aged. . . .:D

In the end there are so many rumours and stories about Lord Louis Mountbattens sexuality, it goes from a flirt with his cousin David, the Prince of Wales, to rumours that he was pedophile (I hope and believe, this is not true).

I think he was one of those men who thinks of women as people, not possessions, and isn't possessive and jealous.

Its my supposition as well and he really seemed to behave like a prime example for a gentleman.

Mountbatten said that? Are there any sources? I never read something like that and can't hardly imagine it. Edwina began first with the affairs and I remember one letter, Dickie wrote her about how upset he was, at the same time he promised her in a letter that he would try to be nice and polite to her boyfriend because he loved her and saw her as his best friend in life, who he didn't want to lose.
The woman you mentioned was Yola Letellier and as far as I know Edwina was jelous as hell of her, but theres indeed a picture of them together in vacation and they seem to have a good time together. :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pimu/2127783607/ (Edwina, Patrica & Yola)

I think Edwina got around "quite a bit." Gloria Vanderbilt's mother for example.

That's my opinion too. It is said that she also had an affair with her sister in law, George's wife Nada. She lived a life of her own, she did great journeys to egypt or through the South Seas - all alone. She surely wasn't the typical housewife and mother.

I read a biography about the Mountbatten men (Prince Louis, Lord Louis, and Prince Philip) that was extemely discreet. However, reading between the lines, it seems that Lady Mountbatten had a "wild" time during their honeymoon in the USA.

That's my opinion too. It is said that she also had an affair with her sister in law, George's wife Nada. She lived a life of her own, she did great journeys to egypt or through the South Seas - all alone. She surely wasn't the typical housewife and mother.

Edwina Mountbatten was a fascinating woman and her talents and abilities amaze me. I've just read a part in Indian Summer relating to events in early September 1947, just after partition, when absolutely horrible things were occurring throughout the subcontinent. Dickie was busying himself organising Government House, particularly the map room which was fitted out with lots of charts, graphs and telephones. He had his staff stay up for 2 nights getting all the little flags into the correct places to represent the Punjab boundary. He devoted much of his own time to issues such as whether visitors ought to come through a special entrance and be given a special pass.

While Dickie was still "fiddling with his map room", Edwina was getting things done. She established and chaired the United Council for Relief and Welfare. "It was a swift, effective and hands-on attempt to deal with the reality of the situation. Edwina co-ordinated fifteen separate relief organizations, two government ministries and one Mahatma into a single targeted team with clear instructions and purpose. She began touring the worst areas of trouble, mobilizing volunteers and personally directing the Red Cross effort to improve water, sanitation and medical supplies". When she was out in the field she would stop her car to help wounded people and take bodies to morgues.

Edwina was a born leader; she instinctively knew how to manage people well and make things happen. She was the sort of woman who, if she'd been born 70 or so years later, would have been Prime Minister or or holder of some other equally significant, or perhaps more significant, position.

I find them both extremely interesting as individuals, and they made a remarkable couple. I believe they cared deeply for each other even if their private lives were a little unconventional.

I agree. The work that Edwina did in helping the Allied prisoners in South East Asia at the end of WWII was remarkable. She and the Red Cross were in the prison camps before the Allied troops, for example. Lord Mountbatten was supposed to have never been the same after her death.

Edwina was a born leader; she instinctively knew how to manage people well and make things happen. She was the sort of woman who, if she'd been born 70 or so years later, would have been Prime Minister or or holder of some other equally significant, or perhaps more significant, position.

I find them both extremely interesting as individuals, and they made a remarkable couple. I believe they cared deeply for each other even if their private lives were a little unconventional.

I find them both extremely interesting as individuals, and they made a remarkable couple.

Welcome to the club, Roslyn, I definately agree with you. :flowers: Mountbatten himself admired Edwinas bravery and I'm sure that he was deeply in love with her. Their marriage had a big crisis in the early stage, but it is said that the became more and more close in their last years, when they both were matured. Mountbatten said especially in the last years of Edwinas live they were happier than ever.

And its true, I think he never was the same after her death. He never remarried though he had offers. I read this story that there was a european princess who was madly in love with him and he admitted that he felt caressed by it, but he didn't seriously care about it because no woman could be compared to Edwina in his eyes. The name of the princess was never mentioned.

Hi Iowabelle,

I never heard that Edwina had an affair with Gloria Vanderbilt, Sr.
I have heard that Nada and GV,Sr. did, but not Edwina....

But then, I don't know everything and with that group - who knows what transpired!! :ohmy:

Larry

I think I got Nada and Edwina confused. But maybe it's wishful thinking on my part!

I think I got Nada and Edwina confused. But maybe it's wishful thinking on my part!
Easy way to find out is to find a bio. on "Little Gloria." There were rumors about Gloria Morgan, her mother, but I didn't think she was a lesbian. And I don't think Edwina was either.

I think there was a book on Gloria V., which went into great detail on Nada and Gloria M.

I think there was a book on Gloria V., which went into great detail on Nada and Gloria M.

I think the Nada and Gloria M relationship was detailed in the book Little Gloria Happy at last, which detailed the custody battle between Gloria Vanderbilt Senior And Gertrude Whitney.

I don't believe that Nada had an relationship with Edwina. At least I have never read of such a thing.

That's the book, Zonk. And yes, you were right, no relationship between Nada and Edwina. (Help, I've been Warrened again!)

No Nada & Edwina? Oh, how I hate german Wikipedia, you really can't trust these sources. :nonono:

I wouldn't so much mind if he weren't right...

(Him being right is kind of like Chevy Chase: He's Warren and we're NOT! :D)

Getting back on subject. . . . wasn't Edwina instrumental with the Red Cross?

In Philip Ziegler's book "Mountbatten" there is a whole chapter devoted to Edwina's indiscretions early in the marriage and details about the various persons she was supposed to have been linked with.
Russo I cannot find any reference that Edwina was involved with the Red Cross.

Back
Top Bottom