The Battenberg - Mountbattens

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't recall reading that Edwina was involved in the Red Cross as well.
Perhaps we are thinking of Wallis during WWII, she was active in the Red Cross in the Bahamas.

Edwina Mountbatten was " Superintendent in Chief St John Ambulance Brigade, and Chairman of St John and Red Cross Services Hospitals Welfare Department." Here is a link to a picture of her meeting with some people in Japan.

Lady Edwina Mountbatten (second from left) sits in a hospital lounge room in Japan and meets with a group of Red Cross officials. Lady Mountbatten is visiting hospitals and other medical ...

I think that it was under the auspices of the Red Cross that she went into the prison camps at the end of the war and began to prepare the prisoners for evacuation. I could be wrong in that, though.

I don't recall reading that Edwina was involved in the Red Cross as well.
Perhaps we are thinking of Wallis during WWII, she was active in the Red Cross in the Bahamas.

Thanks for the info Mermaid1962.

It looks the German Wikipedia isn't the only thing that is off. No information regarding the American Red Cross is mentioned in the English site as well.

You're welcome, Zonk. It's not very often that I get to provide a moderator, much less a super-moderator with new information.;)

Thanks for the info Mermaid1962.

It looks the German Wikipedia isn't the only thing that is off. No information regarding the American Red Cross is mentioned in the English site as well.

Last edited:
Edwina Mountbatten was " Superintendent in Chief St John Ambulance Brigade, and Chairman of St John and Red Cross Services Hospitals Welfare Department." Here is a link to a picture of her meeting with some people in Japan.

Lady Edwina Mountbatten (second from left) sits in a hospital lounge room in Japan and meets with a group of Red Cross officials. Lady Mountbatten is visiting hospitals and other medical ...

I think that it was under the auspices of the Red Cross that she went into the prison camps at the end of the war and began to prepare the prisoners for evacuation. I could be wrong in that, though.
Ah! That's what I was thinking of. No worries, Odette, this was, after all, over a decade since I read the bio. on Edwina so Russo's mind isn't as sharp as it used to be, not to mention she's getting older. . . .

Well Mermaid saved the day for all of us.
She must be younger and sharper and willing to keep us well informed.:flowers:
Thank you Mermaid..Don't worry Russo Odette is older than you and she has a lot of blonde moments...:bang::ROFLMAO::bang::ROFLMAO:

I'm exactly between 45 and 50.;) I had read a three-generation biography of the Mountbatten men within the last year (Prince Louis, Lord Louis, and Prince Philip), which is how I remembered. Even so, I googled for the information just so I'd be sure that I remembered the material correctly.:lol:

I'm exactly between 45 and 50.;) I had read a three-generation biography of the Mountbatten men within the last year (Prince Louis, Lord Louis, and Prince Philip), which is how I remembered. Even so, I googled for the information just so I'd be sure that I remembered the material correctly.:lol:

Perhaps you can share the names of the books and the authors?
I like reading about the family and that would be a good way to add to the facts I have in my mind about them.:flowers:
We will not touch on the subject of age. Still good wine and good cheese are getting better with age...That is my motto these days...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The books is "The Mountbattens: The Last Royal Success Story" by Alden Hatch.

This book was published in 1965, and so some "reading between the lines" is necessary.;) But all in all, it's a good summary of the lives, of these three men as well as their family connections.

You could probably easily find it in a used book store or online. Here's a link for information purposes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Mountbatten...ItemQQimsxZ20090930?IMSfp=TL090930151007r2035

It's been discussed in these forums how much William looks like the Mountbattens, and I can clearly see how he could easily be the fourth man in this line-up!:)

Perhaps you can share the names of the books and the authors?
I like reading about the family and that would be a good way to add to the facts I have in my mind about them.:flowers:

Last edited:
:previous: Thank you so much. Odette is going on line right away and then is running to the nearest Barnes & Noble to locate the book.:flowers:

Thanks from me too, Mermaid. :flowers: I don't know this book, but have read Richard Hough's biographies about Edwina and Louis; and of course Philip Zieglers book. Looking forward to read this one!

One of the things that comes out in the book is the incredible drive, ambition, and energy the Mountbattens had/have.

I look forward to hearing what you think of the book, and I'm glad to have been of help. :flowers:

Last edited:
:previous: Thanks again. You will be the first to know.
I have recently read "Alice" by Vickers which touched on all the members of the family of course. Also the Ziegler book "Mountbatten" which I need to read again. As soon as I find your book and finish with it, I will be better able to discuss them.:flowers:

The part of the book about Prince Louis of Battenberg and his family is very interesting. I hadn't known much about him, but there's a lot of information about his role in the Navy and how his loyalty came into question at the beginning of WWI. It's a sad story and explains some of Lord Louis' ambition to restore the family name in the service of Britain.:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
An interesting and well researched account of the noble Anglo-German family of Battenberg/Mountbatten was published in 1989. The scholarship of Antony Lambton (sometime Lord Lambton and disclaimed Earl of Durham) is impeccable, however it was considered to be ascerbic for the times. I find it a refreshingly honest account.

A TASTE OF OTHER SUMMERS
- Love may not be the only theme of the Nehru-Edwina letters

Some historical questions can be answered by energetic research and the passage of time, and others never will be. Among the most trivial is: did Jawaharlal Nehru have sex with Edwina Mountbatten? Unless the British secret service took photographs of the act and preserved them in an archive, we shall almost certainly never know. The grave keeps its secrets and whatever the letters between the two of them may contain — we still await full disclosure — unambiguous references to physical intimacy are very unlikely.
More in this article: http://www.telegraphindia.com/1091101/jsp/opinion/story_11665506.jsp

EXCLUSIVE
History Indian Summer
The Rose Petals

It was in July this year that the Union information & broadcasting ministry, in its self-anointed role as the custodian of morality, put the brakes on the proposed shooting of Indian Summer, a film based on the book of the same name by Alex Von Tunzelmann. The ministry’s objection was that the film, going by the draft script, was not the story of India’s Partition, as claimed by Working Title, the British production house, but more about the romance between India’s first prime minister, Jawaharlal Nehru, and Edwina Mountbatten, the last vicerine of the British Raj. It has now come to light that the one-man committee of Gajanan Wakankar, a former ifs officer, assigned the task of vetting the script, took a rather lenient view and even said it was well-written. Wakankar only objected to two scenes, which he said had factual errors (see box)

Read more: www.outlookindia.com | The Rose Petals

'My twin brother was dead, my family blown apart. Suddenly the Queen went into unstoppable mothering mode': Lord Mountbatten's grandson relives IRA bomb attack | Mail Online

'My twin brother was dead, my family blown apart. Suddenly the Queen went into unstoppable mothering mode': Lord Mountbatten's grandson relives IRA bomb attack

Some degrees of grief are almost too vast to grapple with. Consider what it must be like to lose two grandparents, a friend and a sibling - not just a brother, but an identical twin - to a terrorist bomb. Then imagine being dredged, barely alive, from the wreckage and learning, little by little, the scale of your bereavement. This is what happened to the Hon Timothy Knatchbull on a bright August bank holiday, 31 years ago. Soon after his family's fishing party, exuberant with high spirits, left harbour for a trip off the Irish coast in his grandfather's little motor boat, Shadow V, the IRA detonated a bomb under its deck which blew the family apart.

That one of the murdered was Lord Mountbatten, great- grandson of Queen Victoria, uncle to Prince Philip and 'honorary grandfather' to Prince Charles, made the tragedy a public one.Family and friends rallied. The Queen and Prince Philip invited Tim and his 22-year-old sister Amanda to holiday with them at Balmoral. What still strikes Tim today was the Queen's maternal kindness. 'We have a great mother on the throne of this country,' he says. 'When my mum, her good friend, was laid low, the Queen stepped in. We were very late arriving at Balmoral, because of a delay to our flight, and the Queen and Prince Charles plied us with soup and sandwiches.

Quite the moving article there. I always think of that incident at this time of the year as well. It was such a senseless [and pointless] waste of so many lives for so little gain but caused so much loss.

The Queen's cousin and Prince Charles's mentor and childhood friend, Lord Brabourne, has left the family estate of Broadlands in Hampshire, once the home of his grandfather Lord Mountbatten of Burma, and moved to the Bahamas to start a new life.

Norton Knatchbull, the 62-year-old 8th Baron of Brabourne and heir to the Mountbatten dynasty, who survived the IRA attack that killed his grandfather in 1979, left the country six weeks ago.

Read more: Bust-up at Broadlands: Lady Penny left alone at Mountbatten home as her husband moves to the Bahamas | Mail Online

Milford Haven residences

Does anyone know where the Milford Havens call home? I've been able to uncover that they lived at Lynden Manor, Holyport, Berkshire, until 1951 (sold); and that the younger brother of the current Marquess, Lord Ivor Mountbatten, lives at Bridwell Park, in Devon.

I read the article about the grandson of Lord Mountbatten who survived the IRA attack. I remember hearing about it (I was in high school at the time). I remember on the news seeing people attending his funeral. I remember seeing Prince Charles at his funeral. Since I'm only a couple of years older than Lord Mountbatten grandsons (I was almost 17 at the time), I remembered it for quite a while as they were close in age.

It would be very very difficult to forgive those who were responsible for this. If this happened to my family, I don't know if I would be able to do so. Maybe I would, who knows.

The story about Queen Elizabeth was very touching. I had never heard that story.

:previous:
post #173, 2nd para of the excerpt, or the the more detailed version in the Mail Online link.

So, obviously this means a separation? Perhaps not that surprising, but still sad. I've always liked Penny and Norton as a couple. Weren't there rumors going on that Lady Penny had an affair with Prince Philip? However, it seems as if they had quite a few problems. :ermm:

Wealthy peer, who grew up jealous of Prince Charles and wary of the Duke of Edinburgh, starts new life with Caribbean beauty

Read more: Wealthy peer, who grew up jealous of Prince Charles and wary of the Duke of Edinburgh, starts new life with Caribbean beauty | Mail Online

Loved-up in the Bahamas: First pictures of Lord Brabourne and designer friend comforting him after split

Read more: Loved-up in the Bahamas: First pictures of Lord Brabourne and designer friend comforting him after split | Mail Online

I must say that overall I am a bit disappointed in Lord Brabourne.

Now I know I don't know all of the facts, he and his wife could have just drifted apart through years, they have certainly had a lot of tragedy to deal with the loss of their daughters and their son's addiction as well as the aftermath of his grandfather and brother's death....but to leave your wife to maintain YOUR ancestral home and deal with your sons addiction (cause let's face it he can't do much in the Bahamas) while you are living your life on a sunny island without any responsiblities is pretty selfish IMO.

And I again I don't know all the facts, but generally it just doesn't look good.

Back
Top Bottom