Support for the Monarchy in the UK 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Polls mean nothing. When push comes to shove, I don't think people will do away with monarchy that easily. Jacinda Ardern should have done it by now, why hasn't she?
With that being said, King Charles III is an uncomfortable prospect for many people even in the UK. I think there's a certain kind of an apathy for him, everywhere. A vocal monarch is not what anyone wants. Say what you will about Diana's interview, she was right about how the role of King will bring certain limitations to him which he may not be able to cope with. He's still just as loud on issues as he was back in the day when Diana made that claim.

Last edited:
I don't think that he is. He is still a very active POW but now he IS taking over more of the queen's work and I think he's gradually toned down on the speaking out and he's aware that when he becomes King, he will have to be discreet. He is not liked as much as he should be, but I think that that's still largely due to the Diana issue.. that a lot of people still think of him as "the man who cheated on lovely Diana".

The reality in the UK IMO is that while people may not all 'support' the monarchy what alternative is there? A politician taking the top job - I don't think for a minute that is what anyone would want or vote for that change to happen.Of course I'm sure Charles doesn't want to be unpopular but the reality is also IMO that the UK won't be overthrowing the monarchy anytime soon even if like in Australia it is simply down to not being able to choose a new system.

The reality in the UK IMO is that while people may not all 'support' the monarchy what alternative is there? A politician taking the top job - I don't think for a minute that is what anyone would want or vote for that change to happen.Of course I'm sure Charles doesn't want to be unpopular but the reality is also IMO that the UK won't be overthrowing the monarchy anytime soon even if like in Australia it is simply down to not being able to choose a new system.

Of course it is possible to choose a new system..but I think that as long as the monarchy is working OK, even if a particular royal isn't that popular, it will last. There just isn't the will to make the change...

I live in a very multi-cultural part of Sydney (like the highest rate of multiculturalism in the country according to the PR put out by the local council). What I do find is that there is a lot of interest in the Commonwealth and the monarchy here as it seems to guarantee them rights that they left their homelands to get. A republic to many of them equals the very real chance for religious persecution to become part of their lives again.

The young people I teach have always been interested in the royal family although they do wish there were some 'young royals' as George is 'too young' and Harry is 'too old' for them to relate to. Many of them have parents younger than Harry and I am talking about kids in their mid-teens.

There are 'young royals' eg Lady Louise and James, though they don't get any press now, but maybe in the future.

There are always going to be stages like that. I'm 11 years younger than Prince Edward and 7 years older than Prince William, so there weren't really any "young royals" when I was a teenager.

New YouGov-polls suggest that everybody's popularity, and especially Charles's (+9%) and Edward's (+13%), has increased significantly since mid-March except for Harry and Meghan whose popularity ratings (-2%) went slightly down.

NET POSITIVE
Queen Elizabeth: POS: 85% (+5); NEG: 9% (-5); NETPOS: 76%
Duke of Cambridge: POS: 80% (+4); NEG: 12% (-4); NETPOS: 68%
Duchess of Cambridge: POS: 78% (+5); NEG: 11% (-5); NETPOS: 67%
Princess Royal: POS: 70% (+6); NEG: 12% (-3); NETPOS: 58%
Earl of Wessex: POS: 54% (+13); NEG: 19% (-7); NETPOS: 35%
Prince of Wales: POS: 58% (+9); NEG: 33% (-9); NETPOS: 25%
Duchess of Cornwall: POS: 43% (+4); NEG: 42% (-4); NETPOS: 1%

NET NEGATIVE
Duke of Sussex: POS: 43% (-2); NEG: 49% (+1); NETNEG: 6%
Duchess of Sussex: POS: 29% (-2); NEG: 61% (+3); NETNEG: 32%
Duke of York: POS: 10% (+3); NEG: 79% (-3); NETNEG: 69%

Last edited:

That's true. N also the tourism revenue they bring in. One of the top comments on a YT video about reasons for a monarchy was that, "Nobody wants to see Boris Johnson's house." :lol:?

I know the Sussexes are concentrating on the US and have probably written off the UK but wow.

It used to be pretty easy for Harry to be right at the top of these things a few years ago.

We'll see how things go for everyone else after the immediate aftermath of Prince Philip's death settles.

That's true. N also the tourism revenue they bring in. One of the top comments on a YT video about reasons for a monarchy was that, "Nobody wants to see Boris Johnson's house." :lol:?

True. I also have no interest in any of our politicians from any party becoming Head of State and turning BP into a Presidential Palace.

New YouGov-polls suggest that everybody's popularity, and especially Charles's (+9%) and Edward's (+13%), has increased significantly since mid-March except for Harry and Meghan whose popularity ratings (-2%) went slightly down.

NET POSITIVE
Queen Elizabeth: POS: 85% (+5); NEG: 9% (-5); NETPOS: 76%
Duke of Cambridge: POS: 80% (+4); NEG: 12% (-4); NETPOS: 68%
Duchess of Cambridge: POS: 78% (+5); NEG: 11% (-5); NETPOS: 67%
Princess Royal: POS: 70% (+6); NEG: 12% (-3); NETPOS: 58%
Earl of Wessex: POS: 54% (+13); NEG: 19% (-7); NETPOS: 35%
Prince of Wales: POS: 58% (+9); NEG: 33% (-9); NETPOS: 25%
Duchess of Cornwall: POS: 43% (+4); NEG: 42% (-4); NETPOS: 1%

NET NEGATIVE
Duke of Sussex: POS: 43% (-2); NEG: 49% (+1); NETNEG: 6%
Duchess of Sussex: POS: 29% (-2); NEG: 61% (+3); NETNEG: 32%
Duke of York: POS: 10% (+3); NEG: 79% (-3); NETNEG: 69%

It is good to see that the Duchess of Cornwall has moved into net positive territory although her net favorability rating is still practically zero. The Prince of Wales seems to have enjoyed a significant bump in the polls with his net favorability rating going up by 18 points.

On the other hand, the Sussex squad will probably argue that Meghan's appaliing net favorability rating of - 32 proves that the Brits are mostly racist.

I wonder why the YouGov poll includes the Sussex's at all. If this is a poll on the popularity of the monarchy - it should really include those working for the monarchy. Or I might argue why they are not including the Princess of Wales and everyone who has left the royal family for that matter.

Ashamed to say that the increase in popularity for Prince Charles and Earl of Wessex is due to the death of the Duke of Edinburgh. The Duke of Edinburgh was famous for believing the quest for popularity was a fools errant. It is something he placed installed in Edward rather deeply. Edward was offered a PR campaign complete with spin doctor and foreign trip. Edward rejected it, not once but even when offered by the Queen. The Duke of Edinburgh sent him a bottle of wine.

I wonder why the YouGov poll includes the Sussex's at all. If this is a poll on the popularity of the monarchy - it should really include those working for the monarchy. Or I might argue why they are not including the Princess of Wales and everyone who has left the royal family for that matter.

Because their popularity or otherwise is still of interest to people I imagine, including the press and indeed the BRF.

And it provides another data point. When Charles dropped after the interview we could have said "that proves people love Harry and Meghan in the UK" which is clearly not the case (at least according to this poll).

It's not as if they retired to raise Llamas for wool for organic clothing and there is interest in how their very public New Alternative Royal Family is being perceived.

I find it more interesting that Sophie isn't on the poll at all.

Because their popularity or otherwise is still of interest to people I imagine, including the press and indeed the BRF.

And it provides another data point. When Charles dropped after the interview we could have said "that proves people love Harry and Meghan in the UK" which is clearly not the case (at least according to this poll).

It's not as if they retired to raise Llamas for wool for organic clothing and there is interest in how their very public New Alternative Royal Family is being perceived.

I find it more interesting that Sophie isn't on the poll at all.

If I am not mistaken, Edward has been also added to the poll only recently.

Ashamed to say that the increase in popularity for Prince Charles and Earl of Wessex is due to the death of the Duke of Edinburgh. The Duke of Edinburgh was famous for believing the quest for popularity was a fools errant. It is something he placed installed in Edward rather deeply. Edward was offered a PR campaign complete with spin doctor and foreign trip. Edward rejected it, not once but even when offered by the Queen. The Duke of Edinburgh sent him a bottle of wine.

That’s a good question. Not to mention why Andrew is still on it. None of those 3 are working royals anymore.

Agreed- Charles and Edward’s increase is probably due to Philip’s death.

I tend to agree with Philip on the folly of courting popularity. Or playing for the cameras.

My sentiments, too. I would love to visit the UK because of the British Royal Family. I know the chances of me seeing one of them is next to nothing, but the whole mystique makes is very attractive to visit. If the Monarchy were done away with, it would just be a bunch of old castles with no purpose, other than possible to house government offices. Right now there is an active, living, breathing Monarchy. I wish there were more tiara events than there are now, like during the early days of Queen Elizabeth's reign.

ETA: Apparently my phrase "a bunch of old castles" was misunderstood. Please see my explanation in post #685. It was not meant to offend.

Last edited:
The Earl of Wessex is certainly getting more positive recognition from the British public judging by the increase in total positive and decrease in total negative & don't know. Perhaps his heavy involvement in the Duke of Edinburgh Award has been greatly noticed.

YouGov's full result also asked couple of questions on the monarchy as a whole or even who should succeed The Queen.

Full results in PDF form: https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/op5ota7eih/The Times Royal Favourability.pdf

YouGov have also released an article summarising and analysing these results.

Public opinion of most senior royals improves
Prince Edward and Prince Charles saw the largest boost in positive opinion, while Harry and Meghan are the only royals who did not see a favourable uptick
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politic...27/public-opinion-most-senior-royals-improves

Last edited:
The Earl of Wessex is certainly getting more positive recognition from the British public judging by the increase in total positive and decrease in total negative & don't know. Perhaps his heavy involvement in the Duke of Edinburgh Award has been greatly noticed.

YouGov's full result also asked couple of questions on the monarchy as a whole or even who should succeed The Queen.

Full results in PDF form: https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/op5ota7eih/The Times Royal Favourability.pdf

YouGov have also released an article summarising and analysing these results.

Public opinion of most senior royals improves
Prince Edward and Prince Charles saw the largest boost in positive opinion, while Harry and Meghan are the only royals who did not see a favourable uptick
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politic...27/public-opinion-most-senior-royals-improves

I never realized what the British thought of Prince Edward. I am pleased that the Count of Wessex is getting more positive recognition from the British public.

My sentiments, too. I would love to visit the UK because of the British Royal Family. I know the chances of me seeing one of them is next to nothing, but the whole mystique makes is very attractive to visit. If the Monarchy were done away with, it would just be a bunch of old castles with no purpose, other than possible to house government offices. Right now there is an active, living, breathing Monarchy. I wish there were more tiara events than there are now, like during the early days of Queen Elizabeth's reign.

The UK is more than a bunch of old castles. It is home to 67 million citizens living in four nations, from the mountains and the glens in the North to the vibrant cosmopolitan city of London in the South.

Neighbour France is the most visited country in the world. And they have an enormous bunch of old castles as well. And no: they have no monarchy.

I very much doubt all those millions travelling to the UK would not do so anymore when there was no royal family.... The former monarchies of Italy, Austria, Germany, Portugal and Greece seem to do excellently, tourist-wise and old castles-wise.

Last edited:
I think Edward and Sophie are doing a wonderful job, without getting much publicity or recognition, and people are realising that. Edward's come a long way from the days of It's A Royal Knockout! Good for him.

Ed and Sophie know how to play the long game and have done it quietly, discreetly, and apparently, successfully. They deserve the benefits of working hard.

I'm always surprised when You Gov includes: Zara Tindall, Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie in their "Who are the popular members of the BRF?"

Edward and Sophie may not rank as "most popular" but that, to me, is a reflection that this couple is very much "Team Windsor". A popularity poll will rarely signify the value a person brings to the work of the "Firm" and the monarchy. Anne doesn't pull in popularity ratings or even is mentioned much in the sense of the fashion world but she is "Team Windsor" and does things tirelessly to support it. Camilla has proven time and time again that its the importance of what she's doing over how important she is to the scheme of things. Of course, The Queen and William and Catherine rank high on the popularity scales but that doesn't lessen or add to their main goal of supporting the monarchy.

Andrew, Harry and Meghan have done things to lose the respect and admiration of not only the "Firm", but the people they served and that's reflected by a negative popularity rating. None of these three people really put "Team Windsor" behind their actions.

Charles is unique unto himself. Rarely though is his popularity rating based on the tremendous impact his work as The Prince of Wales has had. If you're looking for someone with quirks, idiosyncrasies and some outside of the box thinking, Charles is that person. You either admire him tremendously or you loathe him for past misdeeds. If popularity was measured by accomplishments, Charles would be at the top of the heap in my book. ?

Ed and Sophie know how to play the long game and have done it quietly, discreetly, and apparently, successfully. They deserve the benefits of working hard.

I wonder if they will start including Sophie in the polls soon.

Support for the Monarchy in the UK

I think Edward and Sophie are doing a wonderful job, without getting much publicity or recognition, and people are realising that. Edward's come a long way from the days of It's A Royal Knockout! Good for him.

Agreed. They seem to do a great job and do it quietly. And understand what job actually is- and what it isn’t.

I’m really pleased in the uptick in interest in the already very successful DoE Awards. It sounds like such a great project. I said Philip’s death played a role in his popularity going up, but I wonder if all the publicity around the awards is playing a part too. (I saw a pic of Edward and Philip on, I think a website for the awards, and their smile was exactly the same. It was really something.)

The UK is more than a bunch of old castles. It is home to 67 million citizens living in four nations, from the mountains and the glens in the North to the vibrant cosmopolitan city of London in the South.

Neighbour France is the most visited country in the world. And they have an enormous bunch of old castles as well. And no: they have no monarchy.

I very much doubt all those millions travelling to the UK would not do so anymore when there was no royal family.... The former monarchies of Italy, Austria, Germany, Portugal and Greece seem to do excellently, tourist-wise and old castles-wise.

I was not describing the UK as a "bunch of old castles." I am sorry if it sounded that way. I was referring to an earlier post #668 where it was said that no one wants to see Boris Johnson's house and I was stating my opinion that I would not be interested in seeing castles if there were no Monarchy. I have watched a TV program here in the US called "Aerial Britain" where a birds eye view of the UK is filmed from aircraft. It is incredibly beautiful and much more than just castles.

Last edited:
That’s a good question. Not to mention why Andrew is still on it. None of those 3 are working royals anymore.

Agreed- Charles and Edward’s increase is probably due to Philip’s death.

I tend to agree with Philip on the folly of courting popularity. Or playing for the cameras.

Popularity is something that can be given and taken away. I think the problem with popularity and being too focused on chasing the numbers for people in their situation is that it means they’re only as good as their last hit. A better alternative is aiming for respect; this is harder because it’s something that builds gradually over time, but it’s more durable once they’ve obtained it.

That said, I think the polls have their uses, mainly to see the trend over time. It says something that, of the core of the RF, the Queen, William and Kate consistently score very well. It’s also reassuring that Charles’ scores are stable, and the supporting royals like Anne and Edward are solid.

One of the questions asked if being a member of the BRF was more of a privilege or a burden and around 40 percent of respondents were insightful enough to answer “it’s both.” Shows that people are paying attention, at least!

Thank you for posting this story. I like the Wessex's and the DOE even more now:)

Popularity is something that can be given and taken away. I think the problem with popularity and being too focused on chasing the numbers for people in their situation is that it means they’re only as good as their last hit. A better alternative is aiming for respect; this is harder because it’s something that builds gradually over time, but it’s more durable once they’ve obtained it.

That said, I think the polls have their uses, mainly to see the trend over time. It says something that, of the core of the RF, the Queen, William and Kate consistently score very well. It’s also reassuring that Charles’ scores are stable, and the supporting royals like Anne and Edward are solid.

One of the questions asked if being a member of the BRF was more of a privilege or a burden and around 40 percent of respondents were insightful enough to answer “it’s both.” Shows that people are paying attention, at least!

IA- with all of this- in particular, the goal of aiming for respect. It is more durable over time. That appears to me to be the goal of the current working members.

I’m shocked that Charles did relatively well in this poll...I don’t expect it to last as it never does with him, but I’m glad anyway

I’m shocked that Charles did relatively well in this poll...I don’t expect it to last as it never does with him, but I’m glad anyway

The focus is wrong in the poll. Aside of any personal popularities which can quite fluctuate (see Andrew, see Harry, see Charles) the core question is the desire of the people to keep the monarchy.

The question should not be; "Do you like Princess Anne?" The question should be: "Do you want to elect your own head of state? Or do you prefer the current hereditary system?" And response on that quite core question during the years shows a trend for maintaining a monarchy, which can be downward or upward. (In almost all monarchies the general curve from WWII to 2021 is slooooooooooowly, little bit by little bit, downward).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom