Support for the Monarchy in the UK 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, that is the question. On the other hand what is the intrinsic value of an institution in which few take much interest and apathy reigns especially among the under-25s.

And none of the countries which once were monarchies seem to want their royals back in power.

I've lived a long time. Attitudes towards the monarchy in Britain and Australia where I've lived for most have my life have undergone such a sea change in my lifetime that its like two different worlds. And in my view in the future it's not likely to change back to the enthusiasm for the British monarchy of my childhood.

Last edited:
No but as long as the monarch and his/her close family are reasonably scandal free, (one doesn't expect them to be perfect) and reasonably hard working, I don't think the monarchy will disappear for some time...It is rather cheaper than having a president, it has a long tradition, and people are OK with it. A really awful scandal or a major war, might end things but I think it will run another hundred years...
I don think there has been "enthusiasm" for it for a long time, not since maybe the 1960s but there is enough support for it to survive.

Yes, that is the question. On the other hand what is the intrinsic value of an institution in which few take much interest and apathy reigns especially among the under-25s.

And none of the countries which once were monarchies seem to want their royals back in power.

I've lived a long time. Attitudes towards the monarchy in Britain and Australia where I've lived for most have my life have undergone such a sea change in my lifetime that its like two different worlds. And in my view in the future it's not likely to change back to the enthusiasm for the British monarchy of my childhood.

I appreciate your perspective curryong. When I look at you tube clips from the 50's & 60's of royal tours or events in Britain I'm always struck by the huge numbers who turned out. Even for "junior" members of the royal family. And the very respectful commentary of broadcasters.

I feel that the first half of the C20th was the high water mark of deference for the monarchy & that it was bound to change eventually.

Being counter intuitive, might a very low key royal family actually be the best answer for the survival of the monarchy? A return to the simpler style of a George III for example, away from the imperial pomp & the model of a "family on the throne" created during the later C19th & early C20th. I wonder whether some attempts at being "relevant" (especially by younger members of the royal family) are counter productive. It almost feels sometimes as though they're trying too hard & I'm attempting not to be cynical or dismissive here.

In dullness lies survival perhaps.

Last edited:

Many of these countries have never held referendums, so it is difficult to know.

I will always be a monarchist. :flowers:

Wow very interesting read. For those who want a brief overview the net popularity of the RF members - (positive minus negative numbers):

The Queen net 71%
William net 65%
Kate net 62%
Philip net 28%
Charles net 24%
Camilla net 1%
Harry net 1%
Meghan net -26%
Andrew net -73%

EDIT -

Anne net 50%
Edward net 9%

Last edited:
Wow very interesting read. For those who want a brief overview the net popularity of the RF members - (positive minus negative numbers):

The Queen net 71%
William net 65%
Kate net 62%
Philip net 28%
Charles net 24%
Camilla net 1%
Harry net 1%
Meghan net -26%
Andrew net -73%

Wow, people truly loathe Charles....despite all he’s done. It’s a shame, really. I think he’ll be a very good King, but I feel for him when he does take the throne. Aside from him being grief stricken over his mum, nothing he does will be right; everything he does will be wrong.

Poor Camilla..

Harry and Meghan...whew. I can’t say I’m surprised, but holy cow...

I'm not sure it shows that people loathe Charles, simply that he is not as popular as HM, William Kate and Philip. At a certain point he will likely inherit, along with his crown, some of that support. Its just the way things work.

From reading through the full survey results in PDF file, apart from Harry, Meghan and Andrew, the net popularities amongst senior working royals (excluding Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, Duke and Duchess of Kent and Princess Alexandra) are more positive in
50-64 and 65+ (Age Category)
Leave voters (EU referendum)
Rest of South, excluding London (Region)
Conservative voters (Politics)
However, I think the Queen is rated overall positive amongst different age group, gender, region, social (class or income), EU referendum and politics. For all of the division, the total positive are above 65% and total negative below 25%.

For Harry and Meghan, these four/five groups above are the ones dragging the couple's net popularity down. In other words, these groups gave Harry & Meghan low total positive percentage and high negative percentage. I'm not surprised at all on Harry & Meghan's net popularity dropping down significantly, given that an earlier survey conducted on 30th September with sample size of 3250 GB adults showed that 48% think that they should be stripped of their royal titles, whilst 27% think they should not. Again, it's the same four/five groups that are contributing to the "They should be" response.
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/survey-results/daily/2020/09/29/c9ea6/3

For Prince Edward, there is a relatively high percentage of "Don't know", but I hope as he picked up more public engagements and hopefully getting more notice through positive news, he becomes more popular. Again, I'm not surprised that he has higher percentage of total positive in Rest of South compared to other Regions.

Not surprised on Princess Anne's popularity, given that she is considered by many the hardest working royal with the highest number of engagements. She also celebrated her 70th birthday this year and the documentary for her birthday has been overall a success.

Last edited:
I'm not sure it shows that people loathe Charles, simply that he is not as popular as HM, William Kate and Philip. At a certain point he will likely inherit, along with his crown, some of that support. Its just the way things work.

I've no issue with others being more popular, but I saw 24% and my jaw dropped. Then I compared it to others....and that wasn't so bad, lol.

I personally don't put a lot of stock in polls, so....I shouldn't get so "frustrated" when I see Charles so low. That's not to say I'm not aware that Charles is relatively unpopular, just that I'm not a poll person because I don't think they (in general) accurately represent the population at large.

I've no issue with others being more popular, but I saw 24% and my jaw dropped. Then I compared it to others....and that wasn't so bad, lol.

I personally don't put a lot of stock in polls, so....I shouldn't get so "frustrated" when I see Charles so low. That's not to say I'm not aware that Charles is relatively unpopular, just that I'm not a poll person because I don't think they (in general) accurately represent the population at large.

At one point, I was surprised on Philip's net popularity of 28%, but then again, he has stepped back from public duty and less seem in public. However, like you mentioned earlier, sometimes the polls do not accurately represent the UK population, unless it's quite a specific group that has been narrowed down (i.e. North, Midlands, London...)

Last edited:
[...] I'm not surprised at all on Harry & Meghan's net popularity dropping down significantly, given that an earlier survey conducted on 30th September with sample size of 3250 GB adults showed that 48% think that they should be stripped of their royal titles, whilst 27% think they should not. Again, it's the same four/five groups that are contributing to the "They should be" response.
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/survey-results/daily/2020/09/29/c9ea6/3

The clear correlation between popularity/unpopularity with each group and each group's level of support for stripping them of their titles indicates to me that most British poll respondents treat "title" questions in monarchy surveys as merely another opportunity to voice their views about the royals whose titles are being surveyed, instead of giving serious consideration to the protocol and principles of royal titles.

The Queen net 71%
William net 65%
Kate net 62%
Philip net 28%
Charles net 24%
Camilla net 1%
Harry net 1%
Meghan net -26%
Andrew net -73%

EDIT -

Anne net 50%
Edward net 9%

Probably also interesting: what's the change since March (to October):

The Queen net 71% (from 69%)
William net 65% (from 69%)
Catherine net 62% (from 57%)
Anne net 50% (from 47%)
Philip net 28% (from 25%)
Charles net 24% (from 31%)
Edward net 9% (from 5%)
Camilla net 1% (from 6%)
Harry net 1% (from 20%)
Meghan net -26% (from -8%)

Andrew net -73% (from - 71%)

In general, there are fewer people saying 'I don't know' and more expressing either a positive or a negative opinion. I've colored all the changes distinguishing between up/down (and between less than 10% and over 10% change).

Edit: looked at the data in another way. The percentages combine the very positive and fairly positive on the one hand and the very negative and fairly negative on the other hand. If we treat it as a scale (4 = very positive; 3 = fairly positive; 2 = fairly negative; 1 = very negative), we can calculate the mean score. A score of 2.5 would be neutral. Anything below 2.5 is negative (1 being the lowest) and anything above 2.5 is positive (4 being the highest).

The order changes a little if we take that approach:
The Queen: 3.38
William: 3.23
Catherine: 3.22
Anne: 3.15

Philip: 2.76
Charles: 2.67

Edward: 2.51
Harry: 2.43
Camilla: 2.38

Meghan: 2.04
Andrew: 1.40

Last edited:

A sizeable majority (59%) of the people actually have a positive opinion of him; however, about a third of the population (35%) thinks negatively about him. In general he is more liked by the older than by the younger generation; they only age groups that thinks more negatively than positively is 18-24. His numbers are very comparable to his father's.

A sizeable majority (59%) of the people actually have a positive opinion of him; however, about a third of the population (35%) thinks negatively about him. In general he is more liked by the older than by the younger generation; they only age groups that thinks more negatively than positively is 18-24. His numbers are very comparable to his father's.

I get why older people would like him better than younger - but, what has he done that younger people would actively think negatively about him? I know that's a rhetorical question - I doubt it really has an answer. That said, what you posted is pretty positive overall. Thank you!

I get why older people would like him better than younger - but, what has he done that younger people would actively think negatively about him? I know that's a rhetorical question - I doubt it really has an answer. That said, what you posted is pretty positive overall. Thank you!

This is just a guess, I think the 18-24 age group on average (generalising here) still remembered Charles in the War of the Wales. I do think there is a possibility that there are more people in aged 18-24 compared to other age groups who strongly idolises Diana, considered her a "saint figure" and blamed the royal family (not just Charles) for her downfall.

I don't necessary think the anti-monarchy/republican sentiment is the reason for Charles low popularity, otherwise, Prince Philip, The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Princess Anne and Prince Edward would also have more total negative percentage.

I know it's 35% total positive, 45% total negative and 20% don't know for 18-24, so I don't think Charles is really disliked (i.e. his total negative is not above 50%).

I dont think the palace would give much through about the survey. It might be nice to see age groups and SSE but that would be.
It is interesting that the only royals who don't participate with image consultancy - Edward and Philip are the most ambitiously, as expected. Charles and Camilla are quiet in a good spot considering where they were 10 years ago. Enough said about Andrew.

This is just a guess, I think the 18-24 age group on average (generalising here) still remembered Charles in the War of the Wales. I do think there is a possibility that there are more people in aged 18-24 compared to other age groups who strongly idolises Diana, considered her a "saint figure" and blamed the royal family (not just Charles) for her downfall.

I'd say the 18-24 age group are the first ones who never knew Diana as they weren't born (or just barely) when she was alive.
I do think that agegroup might get their information from netflix, tvshows or movies about the Diana/Charles situation (which are generally onesided), and from social media/internet.
Like that "meme" going around with a pic of QEII and P.Philip with a caption "Scared to die because they are afraid to face Diana"

if that is your source of information, i can imagine a "popularity" question has little to do with the royals as they are, but as they are fictionalised.

just imo ofcourse

I agree and I think this correlates to the fact that there are three adult generations of the Royal Family amongst which people have to divide their support.

Further to what I said above, I think a lot has to do with how people relate to the royals. For the younger generations, they may well relate more to the younger royals or relate more to the Queen being a more "grandmotherly" figure to look up to. Charles is sort of "caught in the middle" so to speak and so peoples thoughts about him are more neutral.

Last edited:

he is seen as a rather Edwardian figure, leading a lavish lifestyle, being old fashioned and fuddy duddy, and there is the shade of the Diana years.. In addtion, he has been seen as meddling in poliltics.

I don't think "being old fashioned and fuddy duddy" can be the reason for the negativity; the same description pertains to his far more popular mother.

I don't think "being old fashioned and fuddy duddy" can be the reason for the negativity; the same description pertains to his far more popular mother.

I think the perceptions are different. The Queen is probably seen as more "down to Earth" as far as that is possible for a British monarch. Charles is seen as eccentric, with a certain snobbish quality, which is not the case again for the Queen. Also, there is the question of Charles being seen as meddling in politics whereas the Queen strives to be strictly neutral and rarely voices an opinion on anything that could be controversial.

I don't know how the Queen's popularity has changed over time, but I suspect she was already popular as a young queen (in the 1950s or the 1960s for example). Charles was never popular as a young or middle-aged prince and is still relatively unpopular as an old one.

Last edited:
Popularity contests are nothing but perception and physical attractiveness.
If Charles was more handsome or Camilla was more attractive they would be above William and Kate - but they are not so they wont be.
There will always be people who vote for the Queen as she is the figurehead. It might be interesting to see if that vote changes to Charles in the future.
At the moment Meghan and Harry are down due to perception, but one good PR campaign or a new baby and they will be right up there again.

That’s a great point...!

I agree and I think this correlates to the fact that there are three adult generations of the Royal Family amongst which people have to divide their support.

Further to what I said above, I think a lot has to do with how people relate to the royals. For the younger generations, they may well relate more to the younger royals or relate more to the Queen being a more "grandmotherly" figure to look up to. Charles is sort of "caught in the middle" so to speak and so peoples thoughts about him are more neutral.

Another good point! Charles isn’t old enough to be adorable and grandfatherly (even though he is one), and he’s too old to be “exciting”. I think it would explain neutral feelings rather than negative ones, which is why I think the below could be true:

Lee:

I'd say the 18-24 age group are the first ones who never knew Diana as they weren't born (or just barely) when she was alive.
I do think that agegroup might get their information from netflix, tvshows or movies about the Diana/Charles situation (which are generally onesided), and from social media/internet.
Like that "meme" going around with a pic of QEII and P.Philip with a caption "Scared to die because they are afraid to face Diana"

if that is your source of information, i can imagine a "popularity" question has little to do with the royals as they are, but as they are fictionalised.

just imo ofcourse

I think there’s a great deal of truth in this. They may be too young for Diana, but not for William and Harry, and it’s possible they have watched a bunch of documentaries, tv shows, etc.. showing Diana as victim of Charles. The 2017 anniversary of her death didn’t help him, either.

I don’t watch the Crown for many reasons, but I do know that this season is going to be about Charles and Diana. ...meaning it will be highly critical of him, and clearly biased toward her. This certainly will not help his standing with the younger generation

I think the perceptions are different. The Queen is probably seen as more "down to Earth" as far as that is possible for a British monarch. Charles is seen as eccentric, with a certain snobbish quality, which is not the case again for the Queen. Also, there is the question of Charles being seen as meddling in politics whereas the Queen strives to be strictly neutral and rarely voices an opinion on anything that could be controversial.

I don't know how the Queen's popularity has changed over time, but I suspect she was already popular as a young queen (in the 1950s or the 1960s for example). Charles was never popular as a young or middle-aged prince and is still relatively unpopular as an old one.

But Charles also does - and has done - some remarkable things as PoW, so you’d think that would count for something, even with young people.

Was he never popular even when young? Why do you think that is?

He was popular as a young man, he was the action man prince in the 1970s, seen as quite a modern figure, who had set up the Princes Trust, served in the Navy, took part in dashing dangerous sports... It was the combination of his marriage to Diana, and his being perceived, not entirely unfairly as a bit of a moaner, who had become old fashioned in his 30s, and who was (not unfairly) again accused of sometimes meddling in political issues. he was seen as pontificating about things he didn't fully understand, and as he grew older, of leading a luxuirious formal lifestyle that was out of synch with the modern world.. Whereas at the time, in the 80s and 90s, Diana was seen as young, informal, modern minded.. interested in causes to do with people rather than buildings etc.

Popularity contests are nothing but perception and physical attractiveness.
If Charles was more handsome or Camilla was more attractive they would be above William and Kate - but they are not so they wont be.
There will always be people who vote for the Queen as she is the figurehead. It might be interesting to see if that vote changes to Charles in the future.
At the moment Meghan and Harry are down due to perception, but one good PR campaign or a new baby and they will be right up there again.

The question is not who is your favorite royal but whether you have a positive or negative opinion of them. It is fully possible that someone is positive about most of the members of the royal family; or negative about most of them. The only tendency I see in the numbers is that the groups that are less negative about Harry & Meghan are generally more negative about the others. Nonetheless, it is not a popularity contest asking 'who do you like best' in which they are pitted against each other.

And I'm honestly not that sure about Harry and Meghan being up there again with the royals that are viewed most favorably. They are on a continuous PR campaign right now and it doesn't seem to work. A rather large number is very negative about them (for Meghan it's 40%(!) and for Harry 24%), I don't see them suddenly turning in favor of them even after another baby. They might see a limited rise but not much imho. Too much has happened.

Last edited:
But Charles also does - and has done - some remarkable things as PoW, so you’d think that would count for something, even with young people.

Was he never popular even when young? Why do you think that is?

Charles has never really had the chance to be judged only on his own merits. He was overshadowed by Diana from the start of their marriage right through to her death and didn’t have the sort of personality or media savvy to effectively fight the narrative that developed of him as the unfeeling, out of touch husband and father who talked to his plants.

Then the focus was on William and Harry, their marriages, children, etc.

Now Charles is into his 70s and is still in the number two spot, caught between his iconic mother and his popular eldest son who is steadily building a more prominent role for himself.

Contrast that to how things have gone/will go for William - able to build his own successful career separate from royal duties in his 20s, a stable and seemingly happy marriage in which he and his wife function as a team, he’ll become Prince of Wales soon and will likely become King just at the right time to avoid the traditional royal middle age popularity slump. Barring the unexpected his reign will be long, plenty long enough to build a strong reputation as King William, without people thinking of him as just a placeholder for George.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom