Support for the Monarchy in the UK 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Judging by this poll the Sussexes appeal to a younger demographic, perhaps because they champion issues they care about. I didn't see an ethnic breakdown in the sample group. In US polls you see breakdown ethnicities.

Unity and stability can also read as stuck in the past, not willing to adapt with the times in order to survive.

On the monarchy website it does state that one of the roles of the royal family is to help “strengthen national unity & stability”.

Unity is not conformity. Stability is not stagnation. There’s been an awful lot of division & change in the UK recently. I reckon a lot of Britons would be quite happy with a bit more unity & stability.

I see that Prince William’s figures mirror almost exactly those for The Queen in every single category. A big plus for his approach to his job.

Both HM & the prince are also the most popular with the 18-24’s. In fact the most popular with all age groups. That’s very encouraging.

Last edited:
On the monarchy website it does state that one of the roles of the royal family is to help “strengthen national unity & stability”.

Unity is not conformity. Stability is not stagnation. There’s been an awful lot of division & change in the UK recently. I reckon a lot of Britons would be quite happy with a bit more unity & stability.

I see that Prince William’s figures mirror almost exactly those for The Queen in every single category. A big plus for his approach to his job.

Both HM & the prince are also the most popular with the 18-24’s. In fact the most popular with all age groups. That’s very encouraging.

It’s encouraging for a William, but he’s not the next King. It would be nice if Charles would have public support once he takes the throne, but that won’t happen because he’s not his mother or his son. I don’t think popularity is all about approach, or else Charles and Camilla wouldn’t be so unpopular.

Charles and Camilla will never be able to overcome their history with some folks. They really aren't likely to 'rise' above a certain percentage.

Unless William really puts his foot in it he will be a very popular monarch assuming there still is one by then.

LaRae

This latest poll asked a specific question in the middle of July 2020, and Harry's numbers were low. However, it may be important to point out that in overall ratings of the popularity of the BRF Harry is fourth. These figures are also up to date. And yes, lower than they were a couple of years ago. However, above Anne, Philip, the Wessexes, Camilla, and his father, the Prince of Wales.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/explore/public_figure/Prince_Harry

Last edited:
Part of the difficulty for Charles and Camilla is media profile (and I think for Anne too). I don’t see UK newspapers or TV and so only have the news websites to go on.

Over the last couple of months, everything William, Kate and the children have done seems to have garnered huge media attention. Even though Charles kept up his work rate during lockdown and he, Anne & Camilla have returned to their pre-lockdown schedule increasing visits, they just don’t get the publicity for what they do.

I’m a fan of Charles, Camilla and Anne and pretty iffy about William and Kate but, let’s face it, during a time of national crisis, people would rather see pictures of a photogenic young couple with adorable children clapping for the NHS than a 70 year old couple doing exactly the same thing.

Yes, there is an ageist aspect IMO and the media, which, with some exceptions, is more entertainment than informative, just gives the people what they want. This works against the older royals.

I agree with your observations about the media, VictoriaB, and its ageist perspective. And that may well be a problem for the BRF going forward, with only one working couple under the age of forty.

However, I've been watching opinion polls, especially YouGov ones, for a very long time, and while Charles's figures have increased a little since 1997 they are nothing to what the heir to the throne's should be. With Charles's work ethic and breadth of interests he logically should be up near the Queen in these polls. Camilla's have always lagged behind others at the back of the pack since she joined the family as a working Royal.

Sure, some of it can be put down to ageism, but I don't believe that is the main reason for their low poll figures. The British public have long memories where this couple is concerned, unfortunately for them.

Last edited:
I agree with your observations about the media, VictoriaB, and its ageist perspective. And that may well be a problem for the BRF going forward, with only one working couple under the age of forty.

However, I've been watching opinion polls, especially YouGov ones, for a very long time, and while Charles's figures have increased a little since 1997 they are nothing to what the heir to the throne's should be. With Charles's work ethic and breadth of interests he logically should be up near the Queen in these polls. Camilla's have always lagged behind others at the back of the pack since she joined the family as a working Royal.

Sure, some of it can be put down to ageism, but I don't believe that is the main reason for their low poll figures. The British public have long memories where this couple is concerned, unfortunately for them.

:previous: to your post and Victoria's.

The good thing is, Charles (and Camilla) seems to have reconciled himself with not being popular. There's nothing he can do about it, really, except do what he's done for years and that's just keep at it. Fortunately, the media seems generally positive to him, so the people who don't care for the Wales will pretty much only be heard on social media as the crowds who gather when either one of them (or both) has an engagement always seem to be happy and glad to be there.

:previous: I agree that Charles and Camilla don't seem too concerned about their poll numbers. I believe that Anne likely takes a similar attitude. They've continued to go about their business and are excellent representatives for the UK.

The media has blown hot and cold on Charles through the years and no doubt will do so again. I agree Camilla and Anne probably don't care much. However, how do we know that Charles doesn't care about his poll numbers and how he is viewed by the British public, and that doesn't just mean social media? He may in fact care very much.

In fact in the past the opposite has been true, the departure of his Private Secretary after the disastrous Dimbleby interview, his employment of Mark Bolland to tweak his image in the media for example and there have been stories of very careful controlling of stories coming out of Clarence House about him and his wife.

Last edited:
Interestingly based on that yougov link above (Curryong has put above), while Charles ranks 6th in popularity poll, he's the most famous one (followed by The Queen and Harry).

Prince Charles

Prince Charles is the 6th most popular royalty and the most famous. Prince Charles is described by fans as: Environmentalist, Genuine, Committed, Intelligent and Knowledgeable.

Amongst the working (or used to be working) royal (sort by popularity):
The Queen: 1st in popularity (74%) - 2nd most famous (98%)
Wiliam : 2nd in popularity (65%) - 4th most famous (97%)
Catherine : 3rd in popularity (65%) - 8th most famous (94%)
Harry : 4th in popularity (54%) - 3rd most famous (98%)
Anne : 5th in popularity (50%) - 7th most famous (95%)
Charles : 6th in popularity (47%) - 1st most famous (99%)
Phillip : 7th in popularity (46%) - 5th most famous (97%)
Meghan : 9th in popularity (37%) - 6th most famous (95%)
Sophie : 10th in popularity (31%) - 15th most famous (76%)
Camilla : 11th in popularity (30%) - 10th most famous (94%)
Edward : 12th in popularity (26%) - 13th most famous (89%)
Andrew : 15th in popularity (12%) - 9th most famous (94%)

So certainly Charles and Anne are not unknown nor disliked (in term of positive opinion/likes, they're not far behind Harry).

I won't put anything to this poll though, because if you click on Andrew, his description is:
Duke of York

Prince Andrew, Duke of York isthe 15th most popular royalty and the 9th most famous. Prince Andrew, Duke of York is described by fans as: Loyal, Good speaker, Genuine, Committed and Patriotic.
Considering his antics, it makes sense that people know his name, but I will never decribe him as "good speaker" nor "genuine" (genuine stupid, maybe). As for "loyal" ... erm, depend on with to whom we're talking about here.

Last edited:
:previous: I agree that Charles and Camilla don't seem too concerned about their poll numbers. I believe that Anne likely takes a similar attitude. They've continued to go about their business and are excellent representatives for the UK.

While C & C might not track their popularity very closely, I think their staff does. It seems a matter of pride for Royal staff members to have their principal's popularity rise during their tenure in service of HRH.

The media has blown hot and cold on Charles through the years and no doubt will do so again. I agree Camilla and Anne probably don't care much. However, how do we know that Charles doesn't care about his poll numbers and how he is viewed by the British public, and that doesn't just mean social media? He may in fact care very much.

In fact in the past the opposite has been true, the departure of his Private Secretary after the disastrous Dimbleby interview, his employment of Mark Bolland to tweak his image in the media for example and there have been stories of very careful controlling of stories coming out of Clarence House about him and his wife.

I guess I should have worded it better...if he cares, he doesn’t show it. There’s still nothing he can do about it, lol.

I admit, I did forget about those examples you mentioned (which I only know about through this forum)...but weren’t they a long time ago? Charles seems pretty happy and secure to me.

There have been other more recent stories though, which it was said had been planted in the media, access to his Cambridge grandchildren, stories of his frustration at his charity endeavours not getting sufficient oxygen due to the media concentrating on his sons, reactions in 2017 to Harry and William's documentaries about their mother, etc etc.

I do believe that media attention is important to all the senior royals. They keep an eye on their own press and the stories of others in the family for comparison.

It’s encouraging for a William, but he’s not the next King. It would be nice if Charles would have public support once he takes the throne, but that won’t happen because he’s not his mother or his son. I don’t think popularity is all about approach, or else Charles and Camilla wouldn’t be so unpopular.

It's encouraging for the long term future of the monarchy.

William doesn't get involved in controversies in that way his father has. That's what I mean by approach. William's role model appears to be The Queen. Some of Charles' relative unpopularity is undoubtedly due to his perceived meddling in politics. It's not all down to his personal life. For the heir to the throne there's definitely a grey area between being informed & lobbying.

It's encouraging for the long term future of the monarchy.

William doesn't get involved in controversies in that way his father has. That's what I mean by approach. William's role model appears to be The Queen. Some of Charles' relative unpopularity is undoubtedly due to his perceived meddling in politics. It's not all down to his personal life. For the heir to the throne there's definitely a grey area between being informed & lobbying.

That’s true, but is Charles really being considered to be meddling in politics by being interested in such things as climate change ? To me, that’s not about politics, but about the future of humanity. Spider letters were a long time ago - I don’t think he does that kind of thing now?

There have been other more recent stories though, which it was said had been planted in the media, access to his Cambridge grandchildren, stories of his frustration at his charity endeavours not getting sufficient oxygen due to the media concentrating on his sons, reactions in 2017 to Harry and William's documentaries about their mother, etc etc.

I do believe that media attention is important to all the senior royals. They keep an eye on their own press and the stories of others in the family for comparison.

That’s true...

That’s true, but is Charles really being considered to be meddling in politics by being interested in such things as climate change ? To me, that’s not about politics, but about the future of humanity. Spider letters were a long time ago - I don’t think he does that kind of thing now?

He may not do it now but he was used to use his position to pester Government ministers etc. I think as he has grown older and gotten nearer to the throne he recognizes that he has to be more discreet and to keep his political views to himself and not to make use of his position...It wasn't a good idea, its one reason why he is less popular than he might be...

He has been reported in the past as seeing his role as monarch as being "different" from previous sovereigns. Whatever that means exactly. I think people just remember his previous meddling & remain wary. I don't think climate change has got anything to do with his lack of popularity.

It's more eye rolling than hostility with Prince Charles. He's not exactly unpopular or actively disliked. Although at one time he was by a lot of people. That immediate dislike has largely evaporated over time.

Last edited:
He has been reported in the past as seeing his role as monarch as being "different" from previous sovereigns. Whatever that means exactly. I think people just remember his previous meddling & remain wary. I don't think climate change has got anything to do with his lack of popularity.

It's more eye rolling than hostility with Prince Charles. He's not exactly unpopular or actively disliked. Although at one time he was by a lot of people. That immediate dislike has largely evaporated over time.

I think the dislike was over the Diana issue.. but also some of it was over his being seen as a meddler and perhaps as someone who seemed to want to lead a grandiose "Princely" lifestyle. As times' passed I think that Camilla has become more accepted.. and he has quieted down on his giving his opinions and meddling...

Maybe so, but I remember near the end of last year that he did a radio show where he said essentially that he's not stupid, that he understands that there are things he can't do as sovereign that he's doing now. He's trying to make as much of an impact as he an now because once he's King, his hands will be tied. William shares much of his concerns, so he may very well take up many of the same causes as his father.

I'll go by what you say because obviously I'm not there, and social media is not an accurate gauge of popularity (and even if it were, I've seen plenty of positive tweets about Charles). It may be that his ratings will increase a bit when he becomes King because people will (a) feel sorry for him that he lost his mother and (b) they'll naturally want to support him.

Maybe so, but I remember near the end of last year that he did a radio show where he said essentially that he's not stupid, that he understands that there are things he can't do as sovereign that he's doing now. He's trying to make as much of an impact as he an now because once he's King, his hands will be tied. William shares much of his concerns, so he may very well take up many of the same causes as his father.

I'll go by what you say because obviously I'm not there, and social media is not an accurate gauge of popularity (and even if it were, I've seen plenty of positive tweets about Charles). It may be that his ratings will increase a bit when he becomes King because people will (a) feel sorry for him that he lost his mother and (b) they'll naturally want to support him.

That radio programme sounds interteresting I must have missed that. I'll see if I can find it.

Lots of people do like the Prince of Wales. I like him although he has his faults like we all do. Just not as many as like his mother or eldest son. I'm sure lots of politicians would be happy with his figures.

That radio programme sounds interteresting I must have missed that. I'll see if I can find it.

Lots of people do like the Prince of Wales. I like him although he has his faults like we all do. Just not as many as like his mother or eldest son. I'm sure lots of politicians would be happy with his figures.

Oops, it was from the Charles at 70 tv program...Here’s a link and excerpt from the Times.

Your point is a good one!

In the documentary, Prince Charles is asked about accusations of meddling. He laughs and replies: “Really? You don’t say.” He goes on: “But I always wonder what meddling is, I mean, I always thought it was motivating.

“But I’ve always been intrigued, if it’s meddling to worry about the inner cities as I did 40 years ago and what was happening or not happening there, the conditions in which people were living. If that’s meddling I’m very proud of it.”

Citing Shakespeare’s plays, and the way Prince Hal grew up to be Henry V, he says: “I won’t be able to do the same things I’ve done, you know, as heir, so of course you operate within the constitutional parameters.” Asked about fears that his involvement would continue in the same way, he says: “No, it won’t. I’m not that stupid, I do realise that it is a separate exercise being sovereign.”

When the film-maker John Bridcut suggests to Charles that he could continue to use his “convening power” — a favourite expression of the prince’s to describe how he brings people together — for good, the prince replies: “Well, you never know but you could only do it with the agreement of ministers. That’s how it works.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/prince-charles-vows-not-to-carry-on-meddling-c7dfgzdss

I like him too. I like that he cares so much about his causes.

But- I think that while he is liked, he isn't loved.

He's always been seen as a bit of an eccentric, talking to plants and going on about carbuncles. There's nothing wrong with eccentrics :) - books set in the British countryside are full of them! - but they tend not to score as highly in the popularity stakes as people to whom it's easier to relate.

And, shallow though it is, there's a glamour factor. Charles and Camilla both look pretty good at the ages they're at, but they've never had the good looks of the Queen, Princess Margaret, Prince Philip, etc. Prince Andrew was the good-looking one of his generation, back in the day.

Last edited:
I think the dislike was over the Diana issue.. but also some of it was over his being seen as a meddler and perhaps as someone who seemed to want to lead a grandiose "Princely" lifestyle. As times' passed I think that Camilla has become more accepted.. and he has quieted down on his giving his opinions and meddling...

The Diana issues have faded over time.

Any current less-than-favorable public opinions of the PoW are, IMHO, about his perceived extravagance detailed in the tabs, eg. flunkies carrying crested silk pillows for his hindquarters, bringing his own food to the opera when the Queen has whatever is on the menu. And, the monies being paid to Mr. Fawcett.

Paul Burrell has been chiming in with anecdotes, which I don't trust. They are just benign enough for a "no comment" from Clarence House, but certainly pay off for Mr. Burrell.

According to Sarah Bradford's book about HM, The Queen a few decades back was very aware that her Mother and Diana were very popular, and she was boring and stuck in between two stars.

Charles should do his homework. It will all work out.

According to Sarah Bradford's book about HM, The Queen a few decades back was very aware that her Mother and Diana were very popular, and she was boring and stuck in between two stars.

Charles should do his homework. It will all work out.

Unpopular opinion, but I think a boring royal makes a better Monarch than a fun or glamorous royal. Just look at the state of the various heirs and spares in the BRF, while the spares tend to be more fun, glamorous and popular, they are also more prone to scandals than the boring heirs.

Based on the YouGov-poll I made an overview taking into account both the asset and the liability-percentages.

You will find: asset 2012/asset 2020 & liability 2012/liability 2020 (change (incorporating both the change in asset and in liability)) [approval rating calculated by subtracting the liability percentage from the asset percentage]

Elizabeth: 86/81 & 3/7 (-9%) [74% approval]
William: 86/79 & 3/7 (-11%) [72% approval]
Catherine: 81/76 & 5/8 (-8%) [68% approval]
Anne: 54/56 & 10/9 (+3%) [47% approval]
Charles: 55/54 & 18/19 (-2%) [35% approval]
Philip: 58/42 & 20/29 (-27%) [13% approval]
Camilla: 24/31 & 32/24 (+15%) [7% approval]
Harry: 75/37 & 9/38 (-67%) [1% disapproval]
Meghan: /24 & /51 [27% disapproval]
Andrew: 20/4 & 44/80 (-52%) [76% disapproval]

Some observations: while Camilla is still not really loved by the people previously she changed most for the better (+15%); Anne was the other one in the family improving slightly (+3%). Both Harry and Andrew plummeted (Harry -67% and Andrew (-52%). Meghan is new in the list but has about twice as many people that see her as a liability than those seeing her as an asset. Harry, Meghan and Andrew are all seen as more of a liability than an asset (in Harry's case his asset and liability ratings are very similar but he ended up just in the disapproval range).

Last edited:
There has already been polling. In the not too distant past, Harry, William and The Queen were neck and neck to be the most popular royal among the various polls and Harry consistently topped the yougov poll. In the most recent polling, Harry is no longer at the top of the the yougov poll and I doubt if he will ever reclaim that position but he is still above numerous other royals.

I'm afraid that's factually incorrect. As you specifically mentioned the YouGov-poll: In 2012 the royals that had the highest percentages of being an asset to the monarchy were:
1. The Queen & The Duke of Cambridge (86%) (3% liability)
3. The Duchess of Cambridge (81%) (5% liability)
Harry came after these three at 75% asset and 9% liability.

And about him being above numerous other royals in the current YouGov poll: He is only above his wife Meghan who also left and his uncle Andrew who was kicked out. Even the relatively unpopular Duchess of Cornwall passed him in the polls if we combine asset and liability percentages - see for example my post the appropriate topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom