Support for the Monarchy in the UK 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ipsos Mori - High satisfaction levels with Royal Family as the Queen turns 90

Queen 86% satisfied, 5% are dissatisfied

William 76% satisfied, 6% dissatisfied

Charles 71% satisfied, and 11% dissatisfied

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/research...-with-Royal-Family-as-the-Queen-turns-90.aspx

Rudolph, It is an error on Ipsos Mori's website. If you go into the PDF links, then you will see that Williams approval ratings are on 79% not 76%. A spokeswoman for Ipsos Mori has also said that they are on 79%.

When these very high numbers came two days ago, then I just waited for what the genius Richard Palmer would write - and here it is:
William's popularity is declining, poll finds | Royal | News | Daily Express

Richard has compared William's numbers with those that were made in June 2012.

I will now go through the numbers.

Monarchy/Royal Family Trends - Satisfaction with the Queen 1992-2012:
https://www.ipsos-mori.com/research...ds-Satisfaction-with-the-Queen.aspx?view=wide

Q Are you satisfied or dissatisfied with the way the Queen is doing her job as Monarch?

As you can see the Queen's numbers were very high even during the 1990s. They were on 75% and 74% in 1992/1996 and on 72% in December 1997 (These figures were very high even though it was just after Diana's death.) Her numbers dipped to 66% in March 1998, but were back at 73% in August 1998 and 71% in June 2000.

After the Queen Mother's death in 2002, the Queen's satisfaction numbers become very high.

82% in May 2002 (Golden Jubilee), 85% in April 2006 (80th birthday), 90% in June 2012 (Diamond Jubilee) and 90% in November 2012 - just 7% were Dissatisfied.

Now her numbers are on 86% and her dissatisfaction numbers ar down to just 5%. I did know that her numbers would be high this year as well, but I was very surprised that they were so high (especially after the Scotland thing, the Eu thing and the media's attempts to politicize the Queen.)

Her numbers are just incredible (especially in a country like the UK.)

Monarchy/Royal Family Trends - Satisfaction with Prince Charles 1997-2012:
https://ipsos-mori.com/researchpubl...tisfaction-with-Prince-Charles.aspx?view=wide

Q Are you satisfied or dissatisfied with the way Prince Charles is doing his job as Prince of Wales?

As you can see Charles's satisfaction numbers were on its highest in June 2012 with 78% (which was very high) and just 13% were Dissatisfied. This poll was done 4 days after his widely praised speech to the Queen at the Diamond Jubilee Concert.

Now his numbers are on 71%, which are very high and his second highest - just 11% are dissatisfied.

Monarchy/Royal Family Trends - Satisfaction with Prince William
https://ipsos-mori.com/researchpubl...tisfaction-with-Prince-William.aspx?view=wide

Q Are you satisfied or dissatisfied with the way Prince William is doing his job as Duke of Cambridge?

William and Kate become very popular in 2011, and his satisfaction numbers on 89% in June 2012 was very high - just 5% were dissatisfied.

Now his numbers are on 79% (very high), and just 6% are dissatisfied.

We must remember that he mostly received positive media coverage in 2012, and that most people assumed that he would be a full-time working royal when he left the armed forces.

Both I and most people have supported him in his choices through polls, but here they ask - Are you satisfied or dissatisfied with the way Prince William is doing his job as Duke of Cambridge? Then it's not surprising that more people says don't know, because he's not a full-time working royal and he's received strong criticism in the press lately. They have called him lazy, workshy and boring.

I for one are very surprised over how high his present satisfaction numbers are, and the don't know people are likely to say that they are satisfied when he starts working full-time with his royal duties.

Last edited:
I'm always told it's not a popularity contest, because if it were William would be the next king and not Charles.

A 'don't know' response is just that. Some have no opinion on the royals but as usual Richard Palmer tries to spin this as a negative. William's dissatisfied number in 2012 was 5%, in 2016 it's 6%.

William's 79 percent job satisfaction rating is probably twice that of the Prime Minister's

Not exactly a national crisis for the monarchy

I'm always told it's not a popularity contest, because if it were William would be the next king and not Charles.

A 'don't know' response is just that. Some have no opinion on the royals but as usual Richard Palmer tries to spin this as a negative. William's dissatisfied number in 2012 was 5%, in 2016 it's 6%.

William's 79 percent job satisfaction rating is probably twice that of the Prime Minister's

As I said in my above post: We must remember that he mostly received positive media coverage in 2012, and that most people assumed that he would be a full-time working royal when he left the armed forces.

Both I and most people have supported him in his choices through polls, but here they ask - Are you satisfied or dissatisfied with the way Prince William is doing his job as Duke of Cambridge? Then it's not surprising that more people says don't know, because he's not a full-time working royal and he's received strong criticism in the press lately. They have called him lazy, workshy and boring.

I for one are very surprised over how high his present satisfaction numbers are, and the don't know people are likely to say that they are satisfied when he starts working full-time with his royal duties.

As always with today's media, why let facts get in the way of a good story. They've tried to rile people up for a good year now and it clearly has not worked. However, they must continue because negativity sells. And I agree, the 'don't knows' are probably people that don't care about the monarchy one way or another.

I don't think that this is coming as a surprise... I mean, it would be something really interesting if the result had changed dramatically, but the support for the monarchy is strong as ever, and I think it will remain steady for many years to come, or as long as HM is still reigning.

I think you can find as many articles on DM about how P.William should be the next monarch as that he unfit to be a monarch

Everything to keep the public reacting...

Opinium Research is left-leaning and Labour supporting. It's polls generally show lower support.

So 66 percent is a good number given it's politics.

YouGov and Ipsos Mori have a broader polling base and their polls show support in the high 70s.

Last edited:
I think that number is going to go up over the next months as the Brexit negotiations start in earnest - and of course with a lot a noise from EU (that's part of the show).
Then people will haven a tendency to rally around national symbols.
- Perhaps with the exception of Scotland - that'll be interesting to see.

Honestly, I don't see the UK becoming a republic any soon... Until something big happens, Uk will always be associated with the british monarchy...

Opinium Research's numbers are always a bit lower. It's a polling firm used mostly by the Left.

So given that, the monarchy is in great shape. Ipsos and YouGov consistently put support for monarchy in the high 70s.

Yes I saw it! Its beeing dicussed in 'The Monarchy after Elizabeth thread'.

Last edited:
TBF if you ask a lot of people about a lot of things they would probably not choose it, but the question is how much are they against it? Enough to do anything?
E.g. ask people if they want to pay taxes almost everybody would say no, yet that doesn't mean every one of them is dodging paying taxes.

Clearly when asked about it directly (after a stream of Diana anniversary documentaries and media) and given a choice the vast majority of people don't want Camilla to be Queen yet I suspect when Charles becomes King and Camilla is automatically, by law, Queen most people won't care one way or the other to do anything about it.

Anything by 'the Daily Diana',/'Daily Health/Weather Scare',AKA Daily Express is not to be trusted or taken seriously..

When the sad Day comes, we shall see... but I too think, that 'amidst the grief' acceptance of whatever the Palace announces is likely and Public antipathy to the bereaved Prince [new King] is UNTHINKABLE.

Support for the Monarchy in the UK

The poll is meaningless. A poll also shows the more people want William as the next King. However that isn't going to happen. When the Queen dies, Charles is King and Camilla is Queen. People aren't going to take to the streets in protest.

I find the whole notion that only Camilla must be punished for her role in her husband's failed marriage and not be allowed to use her lawful title ridiculous.

The Queen if she wanted could have refused permission for Charles and Camilla to marry. She could have forced his hand -Camilla or the throne but she didn't.

Last edited:
The Queen if she wanted could have refused permission for Charles and Camilla to marry. She could have forced his hand -Camilla or the throne but she didn't.

She could have refused permission, but it wasn't an issue of Camilla or the throne - either she permitted the marriage and it happened, or she didn't permit it and it didn't happen.

Prior to the recent changes, the monarch's consent was required for a marriage to be legal; it's only now that a royal can marry without permission and be removed from the throne.

Prior to the recent changes there was another way - the royal refused permission could have petitioned parliament and, after a year, if neither house objected the marriage could have happened legally. The question though would have had to be asked 'why didn't the Queen approve?' and she would have had to justify herself to the parliament.

As she already seeks the advice of the PM she would also have known that to refuse permission on the grounds of adultery or divorce, given the high percentage of divorces in the UK and having given permission to Anne to remarry, she would have been on very shaky ground had she tried that in 2005.

The new laws also only apply to the first six in the line of succession so from Beatrice down they don't need permission. The interesting one with that could arise when either Kate has a third child or Harry has a legitimate child and Andrew moves to 7th - would he then remarry Sarah? There would be nothing anyone could do about that if it happened once he is 7th in the line of succession.

The poll is meaningless. A poll also shows the more people want William as the next King. However that isn't going to happen. When the Queen dies, Charles is King and Camilla is Queen. People aren't going to take to the streets in protest.

I find the whole notion that only Camilla must be punished for her role in her husband's failed marriage and not be allowed to use her lawful title ridiculous.

Totally agree with your point of view for polls are just a waste of time and money and made by people that are wanting to cause an uproar over nothing. The past is just that..*the past* it can not be changed and Camilla should not be punished for things happen in life to all of us and sometimes those very things are out of our control.

I think Charles and Camilla will make a wonderful couple in the future and IMHO so many people really underestimate this man, he is brilliant, a great businessman, a very hard working man for the country, he has had his entire life in training for being coming king someday, a great marrige where they work together and show that they are a strong team for the country....what's to not like about him, a bad marriage that blew up, well who hasn't had a bad love experience that blew up in their face...I sure did and more then once the only difference is that mine are private while his went public for the entire world to see, so what......give the man a chance well he really does not need a chance now does he, Charles will be KING no doubt about it and then W/C will really be out there working for he, William will the the heir and hopefully have lots of time to do more and learn more from his father....yet now wanting that to happen anytime soon for HM is a big deal to me....I want her around for another decade or more........till at least 105 years!?

:previous::previous::previous:ABSOLUTELY!

I cannot understand how people are still outraged over Charles' marriage breakdown, especially that is has been over 25 YEARS AGO! Anyone else would have been told to get over it!

Unless there is a change to the Act, Camilla will be crowned Queen. And rightfully too. In my eyes, she is an absolute treasure to the BRF.

Poll are only a waste of time or money when you don't get the answer you want. !!!!Otherwise they do give a bit of a view the way people are thinking

Great Britain has been the epitome of continuity and its treasuring of all thing British with their pomp and circumstance and traditions are a huge part of the country's identity. Although there are certain areas that need to be flexible with the changing times, those can be made without infringing on those things that make Great Britain what it is and a big part of that is its monarchy.

One big drawback I see with perhaps making changes because of some people's opinion on Charles and Camilla is that should it be that the line of King and Queens and their consorts be changed in any way, it is stripping away a part of the long held traditions that have continued for centuries. In order to change the tradition for one person (for example, Camilla), that change would have to be in effect for all future Queen Consorts. To just change the way things are done for one person weakens the continuity of the monarchy.

Charles may decide that he'll instigate some changes but I honestly believe that he's as dutiful and as much as a traditionalist as his mother is. I don't see abdication being in his vocabulary either and by all indications, I think William's attitude is the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom