The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-11-2021, 09:04 AM
Aristocracy

Polls mean nothing. When push comes to shove, I don't think people will do away with monarchy that easily. Jacinda Ardern should have done it by now, why hasn't she?
With that being said, King Charles III is an uncomfortable prospect for many people even in the UK. I think there's a certain kind of an apathy for him, everywhere. A vocal monarch is not what anyone wants. Say what you will about Diana's interview, she was right about how the role of King will bring certain limitations to him which he may not be able to cope with. He's still just as loud on issues as he was back in the day when Diana made that claim.

Old 04-25-2021, 03:50 AM
Majesty

I don't think that he is. He is still a very active POW but now he IS taking over more of the queen's work and I think he's gradually toned down on the speaking out and he's aware that when he becomes King, he will have to be discreet. He is not liked as much as he should be, but I think that that's still largely due to the Diana issue.. that a lot of people still think of him as "the man who cheated on lovely Diana".

Old 04-25-2021, 04:17 AM
Heir Apparent

The reality in the UK IMO is that while people may not all 'support' the monarchy what alternative is there? A politician taking the top job - I don't think for a minute that is what anyone would want or vote for that change to happen.Of course I'm sure Charles doesn't want to be unpopular but the reality is also IMO that the UK won't be overthrowing the monarchy anytime soon even if like in Australia it is simply down to not being able to choose a new system.
Old 04-25-2021, 05:11 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
The reality in the UK IMO is that while people may not all 'support' the monarchy what alternative is there? A politician taking the top job - I don't think for a minute that is what anyone would want or vote for that change to happen.Of course I'm sure Charles doesn't want to be unpopular but the reality is also IMO that the UK won't be overthrowing the monarchy anytime soon even if like in Australia it is simply down to not being able to choose a new system.
Of course it is possible to choose a new system..but I think that as long as the monarchy is working OK, even if a particular royal isn't that popular, it will last. There just isn't the will to make the change...
Old 04-27-2021, 12:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I live in a very multi-cultural part of Sydney (like the highest rate of multiculturalism in the country according to the PR put out by the local council). What I do find is that there is a lot of interest in the Commonwealth and the monarchy here as it seems to guarantee them rights that they left their homelands to get. A republic to many of them equals the very real chance for religious persecution to become part of their lives again.

The young people I teach have always been interested in the royal family although they do wish there were some 'young royals' as George is 'too young' and Harry is 'too old' for them to relate to. Many of them have parents younger than Harry and I am talking about kids in their mid-teens.
There are 'young royals' eg Lady Louise and James, though they don't get any press now, but maybe in the future.
Old 04-27-2021, 12:48 PM
Serene Highness

There are always going to be stages like that. I'm 11 years younger than Prince Edward and 7 years older than Prince William, so there weren't really any "young royals" when I was a teenager.
Old 04-27-2021, 01:05 PM
Majesty

New YouGov-polls suggest that everybody's popularity, and especially Charles's (+9%) and Edward's (+13%), has increased significantly since mid-March except for Harry and Meghan whose popularity ratings (-2%) went slightly down.

NET POSITIVE
Queen Elizabeth: POS: 85% (+5); NEG: 9% (-5); NETPOS: 76%
Duke of Cambridge: POS: 80% (+4); NEG: 12% (-4); NETPOS: 68%
Duchess of Cambridge: POS: 78% (+5); NEG: 11% (-5); NETPOS: 67%
Princess Royal: POS: 70% (+6); NEG: 12% (-3); NETPOS: 58%
Earl of Wessex: POS: 54% (+13); NEG: 19% (-7); NETPOS: 35%
Prince of Wales: POS: 58% (+9); NEG: 33% (-9); NETPOS: 25%
Duchess of Cornwall: POS: 43% (+4); NEG: 42% (-4); NETPOS: 1%

NET NEGATIVE
Duke of Sussex: POS: 43% (-2); NEG: 49% (+1); NETNEG: 6%
Duchess of Sussex: POS: 29% (-2); NEG: 61% (+3); NETNEG: 32%
Duke of York: POS: 10% (+3); NEG: 79% (-3); NETNEG: 69%
Old 04-27-2021, 01:06 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
That's true. N also the tourism revenue they bring in. One of the top comments on a YT video about reasons for a monarchy was that, "Nobody wants to see Boris Johnson's house."
Old 04-27-2021, 02:00 PM
Royal Highness

I know the Sussexes are concentrating on the US and have probably written off the UK but wow.

It used to be pretty easy for Harry to be right at the top of these things a few years ago.

We'll see how things go for everyone else after the immediate aftermath of Prince Philip's death settles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
That's true. N also the tourism revenue they bring in. One of the top comments on a YT video about reasons for a monarchy was that, "Nobody wants to see Boris Johnson's house."
True. I also have no interest in any of our politicians from any party becoming Head of State and turning BP into a Presidential Palace.
Old 04-27-2021, 02:30 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
New YouGov-polls suggest that everybody's popularity, and especially Charles's (+9%) and Edward's (+13%), has increased significantly since mid-March except for Harry and Meghan whose popularity ratings (-2%) went slightly down.

NET POSITIVE
Queen Elizabeth: POS: 85% (+5); NEG: 9% (-5); NETPOS: 76%
Duke of Cambridge: POS: 80% (+4); NEG: 12% (-4); NETPOS: 68%
Duchess of Cambridge: POS: 78% (+5); NEG: 11% (-5); NETPOS: 67%
Princess Royal: POS: 70% (+6); NEG: 12% (-3); NETPOS: 58%
Earl of Wessex: POS: 54% (+13); NEG: 19% (-7); NETPOS: 35%
Prince of Wales: POS: 58% (+9); NEG: 33% (-9); NETPOS: 25%
Duchess of Cornwall: POS: 43% (+4); NEG: 42% (-4); NETPOS: 1%

NET NEGATIVE
Duke of Sussex: POS: 43% (-2); NEG: 49% (+1); NETNEG: 6%
Duchess of Sussex: POS: 29% (-2); NEG: 61% (+3); NETNEG: 32%
Duke of York: POS: 10% (+3); NEG: 79% (-3); NETNEG: 69%

It is good to see that the Duchess of Cornwall has moved into net positive territory although her net favorability rating is still practically zero. The Prince of Wales seems to have enjoyed a significant bump in the polls with his net favorability rating going up by 18 points.

On the other hand, the Sussex squad will probably argue that Meghan's appaliing net favorability rating of - 32 proves that the Brits are mostly racist.
Old 04-27-2021, 02:52 PM
Royal Highness

I wonder why the YouGov poll includes the Sussex's at all. If this is a poll on the popularity of the monarchy - it should really include those working for the monarchy. Or I might argue why they are not including the Princess of Wales and everyone who has left the royal family for that matter.

Ashamed to say that the increase in popularity for Prince Charles and Earl of Wessex is due to the death of the Duke of Edinburgh. The Duke of Edinburgh was famous for believing the quest for popularity was a fools errant. It is something he placed installed in Edward rather deeply. Edward was offered a PR campaign complete with spin doctor and foreign trip. Edward rejected it, not once but even when offered by the Queen. The Duke of Edinburgh sent him a bottle of wine.
Old 04-27-2021, 03:21 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I wonder why the YouGov poll includes the Sussex's at all. If this is a poll on the popularity of the monarchy - it should really include those working for the monarchy. Or I might argue why they are not including the Princess of Wales and everyone who has left the royal family for that matter.
Because their popularity or otherwise is still of interest to people I imagine, including the press and indeed the BRF.

And it provides another data point. When Charles dropped after the interview we could have said "that proves people love Harry and Meghan in the UK" which is clearly not the case (at least according to this poll).

It's not as if they retired to raise Llamas for wool for organic clothing and there is interest in how their very public New Alternative Royal Family is being perceived.

I find it more interesting that Sophie isn't on the poll at all.
Old 04-27-2021, 03:24 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
Because their popularity or otherwise is still of interest to people I imagine, including the press and indeed the BRF.

And it provides another data point. When Charles dropped after the interview we could have said "that proves people love Harry and Meghan in the UK" which is clearly not the case (at least according to this poll).

It's not as if they retired to raise Llamas for wool for organic clothing and there is interest in how their very public New Alternative Royal Family is being perceived.

I find it more interesting that Sophie isn't on the poll at all.

If I am not mistaken, Edward has been also added to the poll only recently.
Old 04-27-2021, 03:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post

Ashamed to say that the increase in popularity for Prince Charles and Earl of Wessex is due to the death of the Duke of Edinburgh. The Duke of Edinburgh was famous for believing the quest for popularity was a fools errant. It is something he placed installed in Edward rather deeply. Edward was offered a PR campaign complete with spin doctor and foreign trip. Edward rejected it, not once but even when offered by the Queen. The Duke of Edinburgh sent him a bottle of wine.

That’s a good question. Not to mention why Andrew is still on it. None of those 3 are working royals anymore.

Agreed- Charles and Edward’s increase is probably due to Philip’s death.

I tend to agree with Philip on the folly of courting popularity. Or playing for the cameras.
Old 04-27-2021, 03:34 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
My sentiments, too. I would love to visit the UK because of the British Royal Family. I know the chances of me seeing one of them is next to nothing, but the whole mystique makes is very attractive to visit. If the Monarchy were done away with, it would just be a bunch of old castles with no purpose, other than possible to house government offices. Right now there is an active, living, breathing Monarchy. I wish there were more tiara events than there are now, like during the early days of Queen Elizabeth's reign.

ETA: Apparently my phrase "a bunch of old castles" was misunderstood. Please see my explanation in post #685. It was not meant to offend.
Old 04-27-2021, 04:49 PM
Serene Highness

The Earl of Wessex is certainly getting more positive recognition from the British public judging by the increase in total positive and decrease in total negative & don't know. Perhaps his heavy involvement in the Duke of Edinburgh Award has been greatly noticed.

YouGov's full result also asked couple of questions on the monarchy as a whole or even who should succeed The Queen.

Full results in PDF form: https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/op5ota7e...ourability.pdf

YouGov have also released an article summarising and analysing these results.

Public opinion of most senior royals improves
Prince Edward and Prince Charles saw the largest boost in positive opinion, while Harry and Meghan are the only royals who did not see a favourable uptick
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics...oyals-improves
Old 04-27-2021, 04:58 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
The Earl of Wessex is certainly getting more positive recognition from the British public judging by the increase in total positive and decrease in total negative & don't know. Perhaps his heavy involvement in the Duke of Edinburgh Award has been greatly noticed.

YouGov's full result also asked couple of questions on the monarchy as a whole or even who should succeed The Queen.

Full results in PDF form: https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/op5ota7e...ourability.pdf

YouGov have also released an article summarising and analysing these results.

Public opinion of most senior royals improves
Prince Edward and Prince Charles saw the largest boost in positive opinion, while Harry and Meghan are the only royals who did not see a favourable uptick
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics...oyals-improves
I never realized what the British thought of Prince Edward. I am pleased that the Count of Wessex is getting more positive recognition from the British public.
Old 04-27-2021, 05:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
My sentiments, too. I would love to visit the UK because of the British Royal Family. I know the chances of me seeing one of them is next to nothing, but the whole mystique makes is very attractive to visit. If the Monarchy were done away with, it would just be a bunch of old castles with no purpose, other than possible to house government offices. Right now there is an active, living, breathing Monarchy. I wish there were more tiara events than there are now, like during the early days of Queen Elizabeth's reign.
The UK is more than a bunch of old castles. It is home to 67 million citizens living in four nations, from the mountains and the glens in the North to the vibrant cosmopolitan city of London in the South.

Neighbour France is the most visited country in the world. And they have an enormous bunch of old castles as well. And no: they have no monarchy.

I very much doubt all those millions travelling to the UK would not do so anymore when there was no royal family.... The former monarchies of Italy, Austria, Germany, Portugal and Greece seem to do excellently, tourist-wise and old castles-wise.
Old 04-27-2021, 05:19 PM
Serene Highness

I think Edward and Sophie are doing a wonderful job, without getting much publicity or recognition, and people are realising that. Edward's come a long way from the days of It's A Royal Knockout! Good for him.
Old 04-27-2021, 05:27 PM
Royal Highness

Ed and Sophie know how to play the long game and have done it quietly, discreetly, and apparently, successfully. They deserve the benefits of working hard.