The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-12-2021, 07:12 AM
Majesty

Support for monarchy going down from 67% to 63% isn't a huge dive but combined with an increase of 21% to 25% for a preference for a republic is still a considerable effect probably related to Harry and Meghan's attacks on the monarchy.

Old 03-12-2021, 07:22 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
YouGov did multiple surveys on the monarchy and royal family followed by the Oprah's interview. There is also an YouGov article analysing the data. Only British adults were surveyed.

The main summarised findings are
  • Harry and Meghan's popularity falls to the lowest level ever after Oprah interview
  • Dispute has had limited impact on public’s view of senior royals, except for Prince Charles
  • There is still a strong support for Britain continuing to have a monarchy across all age group except the youngest (18-24)

Public opinion of Harry and Meghan falls to new low after Oprah interview
More people than not now have a negative view of Prince Harry, while public opinion of other senior royals largely remains unchanged
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics..._favourability

Two surveys were used for the YouGov analysis and each of them have the usual breakdown of percentage. These surveys are in PDF format

Public Opinions on members of the Royal Family
  • Sample Size: 1664 GB Adults
  • Fieldwork: 10th - 11th March 2021
  • Question Asked: Thinking about the royal family, for each of the following please say whether you have a positive or negative opinion of them?
  • Option Answers: Very Positive, Fairly Positive, Fairly Negative, Very Negative & Don't Know [Total Positive & Total Negative]
Public Opinions on the Monarchy
  • Sample Size: 1672 GB Adults
  • Fieldwork: 8th - 9th March 2021
  • Question Asked: Do you think Britain should continue to have a monarchy in the future, or should it be replaced with an elected head of state?
  • Option Answers: Should continue to have a monarchy, Should have an elected head of state instead & Don't Know

I believe it is the first time in the YouGov series that Harry's favorability rating has fallen into negative territory ( - 3 ). Mehgan's rating at -27 , on the other hand, is truly abysmal.

The biggest concern for the RF should the PoW's rating which has also fallen to + 7 only versus + 21 in the previous poll (a sharp drop). [...]

Prince William also dropped from +65 to +60, which is still high though, while Catherine's rating was unchanged at +57.

Old 03-12-2021, 07:24 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Support for monarchy going down from 67% to 63% isn't a huge dive but combined with an increase of 21% to 25% for a preference for a republic is still a considerable effect probably related to Harry and Meghan's attacks on the monarchy.
To be honest from the tone of some of the coverage you'd expect that a huge majority wanted a referendum on the Monarchy tomorrow and for each of them to beg forgiveness for everything live on TV, which definitely doesn't seem to be the case.

Clearly they will have to work on their image and the new Lord Chamberlain and others do have their work cut out, especially among the 18-24 year olds but it's not as bad as it could be, IMO.

And interesting that Harry and Meghan have actually sunk over all rather than gone up at least a bit.
Old 03-12-2021, 07:26 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I believe it is the first time in the YouGov series that Harry's favorability rating has fallen into negative territory ( - 3 ). Mehgan's rating at -27 , on the other hand, is truly abysmal.

The biggest concern for the RF should the PoW's rating which has also fallen to + 7 only versus + 21 in the previous poll (a sharp drop). [...]

Prince William also dropped from +65 to +60, which is still high though, while Catherine's rating was unchanged at +57.
It could also be related to Harry stating that his father no longer took his phone calls (if I understand it correctly, that referred to the period they were in Canada before their bombshell announcement) or how he described that they were 'suddenly' left hanging after Charles quit paying for their upkeep and security.
Old 03-12-2021, 07:34 AM
Majesty

Quote:

I guess the drop in support from 67 to 63 % is at the limit of the maximum margin of error, which means that it could still be a sampling error only, but, most likely, indicates some real movement in public opinion, albeit small.

I would be more curious to see the impact the interview had in other Commonwealth realms where support for the republic is stronger than in the UK. We have already seen pro-republic politicians using the interview to attack the monarchy in Australia, Barbados and Jamaica for example.

Quote:
It could also be related to Harry stating that his father no longer took his phone calls (if I understand it correctly, that referred to the period they were in Canada before their bombshell announcement) or how he described that they were 'suddenly' left hanging after Charles quit paying for their upkeep and security.

I am not British, but, to me, the argument that they were cut off and had their security taken away is the one I would the least sympathize with. The idea that Harry would continue to get paid UK state security while he and his family were living full time as private citizens overseas is obviously unreasonable and the fact that Harry doesn't see that only suggests a sense of entitlement and lack of realism. The Canadians on the other hand apparently provided RCMP security to the Sussexes for almost five months (from November to March ?) until there was the so-called "change of status" after which they no longer qualified under current rules in place in Canada for public protection and Canadian public opinion was apparently opposed to their continuing to get state security paid for by Canada.

I think the jury is still out there on whether bailing out and going to the USA to pursue a private career was always Meghan's plan all along or not, but, to be fair to the Sussexes, what they told in the Oprah interview is that their initial plan was to stick with the role of full-time royals in the UK for life, but that became impossible when Meghan's mental health and even life were at risk. Then, they tried the "half-in, half-out" solution where they claim they genuinely believed they could continue to serve the Crown in some unspecified (and, I would add, unrealistic) role in a country in the Commonwealth (Harry, i think, mentioned New Zealand, Canada, or South Africa, which is not even a realm BTW, in the Oprah interview). When that plan was rejected and they were cut off, they allege they had to run away to California for safety reasons.
Old 03-12-2021, 07:37 AM
Majesty

In the United Kingdom, there is not even a strong Republican party. The monarchy is secure and stable.
Old 03-12-2021, 09:57 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
The numbers are very positive for the queen,duke and duchess of Cambridge, a slight increase for the Duchess of Cornwall but nose dive for the Prince of Wales,Duke and Duchess of Suffolk.
It looks like Charles support with younger Britons dropped. Those people probably have more sympathy for Meghan and Harry's complaints about being cut off financially.
Old 03-12-2021, 10:42 AM
Nobility

spelling

Quote:
The numbers are very positive for the queen,duke and duchess of Cambridge, a slight increase for the Duchess of Cornwall but nose dive for the Prince of Wales,Duke and Duchess of Sussex.
Sussex.
Old 03-12-2021, 10:52 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tihkon2 View Post
Sussex.
It would be extremely impressive if one of the Dukes of Suffolk had good poll numbers.

I was always partial to Charles Brandon from The Sword and the Rose, albeit the film is a highly Disneyfied version of events.
Old 03-12-2021, 12:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
In the United Kingdom, there is not even a strong Republican party. The monarchy is secure and stable.
One never knows. Like in any monarchy it is a pure guess as no one has actually ever had any say in their country being a monarchy.

The British I know, working and living in the Netherlands, were not too complimentous about their royal family. But maybe the well-educated British expats working in my region are not representative for the general British mood at home.

Also here the Netherlands I seldom see people speaking with approval about the monarchy. No one is simply asked. We assume it is "popular" in the UK, in Sweden, in Belgium, etc. but no one has ever been asked. They simply live in a monarchy and that has always been the status quo. It has never been tested by asking all the milions in the secrecy of the ballot box.
Old 03-12-2021, 12:48 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
To be honest from the tone of some of the coverage you'd expect that a huge majority wanted a referendum on the Monarchy tomorrow and for each of them to beg forgiveness for everything live on TV, which definitely doesn't seem to be the case.

Clearly they will have to work on their image and the new Lord Chamberlain and others do have their work cut out, especially among the 18-24 year olds but it's not as bad as it could be, IMO.

And interesting that Harry and Meghan have actually sunk over all rather than gone up at least a bit.
I think people have already moved on. After the initial outrage, people are more collected in their opinions coz many of their statements have already been picked apart.

Also, people seem more outraged for/at Piers Morgan.
Old 03-12-2021, 12:51 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Slightly shocked at the Duchess of Cornwall's poll figures ,better news for the Queen, Cambridges & Princess Royal.
I thought the change in numbers for Charles and Camilla from Jan. 2020 to now is due to The Crown. Just saw that someone else already mentioned this.

And as someone said, no they are not the only people ever to cheat on their partners, but many people believe Charles was carrying on a relationship with Camilla right through his courtship with Diana, and that I think is the sticking point for many people.
Old 03-12-2021, 01:01 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
One never knows. Like in any monarchy it is a pure guess as no one has actually ever had any say in their country being a monarchy.

The British I know, working and living in the Netherlands, were not too complimentous about their royal family, even wondeting about the way King's Day is celebrated over here. But maybe the well-educated British expats working in my region are not reptesentative for the general British mood at home.

Being a monarchist doesn't necessarily mean being a royalist (or a royal family fan), especially in bigger countries like the UK. In the specific case about the way King's Day is celebrated in the Netherlands (more like a Carnival than a royal celebration properly), I think it is simply not very compatible with upper class British culture, which is more circumspect.

I also don't think there is a clear correlation between educational attainment and support for the monarchy. There are highly educated Britons (Nobel prize winners, university Fellows, etc.) who are monarchists and, vice-versa, there is also a smaller number of highly educated people in the UK who are republicans.

Perhaps it has to do more with political leaning than education, i.e. Conservative voters being generally more pro-monarchy and left-wing Labour voters or nationalists being more pro-republic. Generally speaking, however, a sizeable percentage of the population is just neutral or doesn't have an opinion on the question of monarchy vs republic (less so in the UK than in other Commonwealth realm like Canada).

Quote:
lso here the Netherlands I seldom see people speaking with approval about the monarchy. No one is simply asked. We assume it is "popular" in the UK, in Sweden, in Belgium, etc. but no one has ever been asked. They simply live in a monarchy and that has always been the status quo. It has never been tested by asking all the milions in the secrecy of the ballot box
I don't know about Belgium or the Netherlands, but in Sweden, Spain and the UK , there are regular national polls that measure support for and opinions about the monarchy and the Royal Family. Those are scientific polls taken with random samples that give a pretty accurate point estimate of approval rate for example within the poll's margin of error and confidence intervals.

We don't need millions of people to cast a vote in the secrecy of the ballot box to measure support for the monarchy or the republic, or for that matter to measure the approval rate of a president or say which party is most likely to win the next election and by what margin. That is what polling is designed to do.
Old 03-12-2021, 01:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Being a monarchist doesn't necessarily mean being a royalist (or a royal family fan), especially in bigger countries like the UK. In the specific case about the way King's Day is celebrated in the Netherlands (more like a Carnival than a royal celebration properly), I think it is simply not very compatible with upper class British culture, which is more circumspect.

I also don't think there is a clear correlation between educational attainment and support for the monarchy. There are highly educated Britons (Nobel prize winners, university Fellows, etc.) who are monarchists and, vice-versa, there is also a smaller number of highly educated people in the UK who are republicans.

Perhaps it has to do more with political leaning than education, i.e. Conservative voters being generally more pro-monarchy and left-wing Labour voters or nationalists being more pro-republic. Generally speaking, however, a sizeable percentage of the population is just neutral or doesn't have an opinion on the question of monarchy vs republic (less so in the UK than in other Commonwealth realm like Canada).

I don't know about Belgium or the Netherlands, but in Sweden, Spain and the UK , there are regular national polls that measure support for and opinions about the monarchy and the Royal Family. Those are scientific polls taken with random samples that give a pretty accurate point estimate of approval rate for example within the poll's margin of error and confidence intervals.

We don't need millions of people to cast a vote in the secrecy of the ballot box to measure support for the monarchy or the republic, or for that matter to measure the approval rate of a president or say which party is most likely to win the next election and by what margin. That is what polling is designed to do.
People give "socially desireable" opinions. I would be interested to know how many millions, from old to young, from urban to suburban, from low-educated to high-educated, etc. really think about the current situation where the head of state is delivered by birthright.

In most of today's monarchies, people have never ever been asked. The evolution of state made a specific family reaching that position. Where there were referendums, monarchies did not survive except for one referendum in Belgium where the monarchy was saved by the Dutch-speaking majority.

And where the monarchy has been abolished: Austria, Italy, Portugal, Greece etc. there is no any chance to have it restored, which brings the question: how really deep-rooted was "the love of the people" ? Even in centuries old monarchies like Austria and Portugal.

I assume the polling agencies will have some clue. 60-40 pro contra? Okay, be my guest. I assume the methods will be right. But it remains an assumption on base of 1300 respondents or so.

In the British situation it certainly helps in the enquêtes that they have an iconic Queen serving for such an unvelievable long time.
Old 03-12-2021, 02:00 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post

The British I know, working and living in the Netherlands, were not too complimentous about their royal family. But maybe the well-educated British expats working in my region are not representative for the general British mood at home.

Also here the Netherlands I seldom see people speaking with approval about the monarchy. No one is simply asked. We assume it is "popular" in the UK, in Sweden, in Belgium, etc. but no one has ever been asked. They simply live in a monarchy and that has always been the status quo. It has never been tested by asking all the milions in the secrecy of the ballot box.

Here in Portugal, no one republic or if they preferred the monarchy. There was never a referendum. And I think this applies to most countries, whether they are republics or monarchies.
Old 03-12-2021, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
It looks like Charles support with younger Britons dropped. Those people probably have more sympathy for Meghan and Harry's complaints about being cut off financially.
The Prince will have to work very hard to turn this approval slump around.
Old 03-12-2021, 03:06 PM
Courtier

It depends on which survey you read. The DM has one that naturally says M&H popularity is way down.
Meghan an Harry really did damage the royal family. So much for their nice campaign.
Old 03-12-2021, 03:20 PM
Heir Apparent

The poll shows the monarchy hasn't seem a huge nosedive in support since the interview and clearly over time the RF will likely be able to pull that back, especially with a Jubilee next year. If there isn't a huge shift in opinion in the immediate aftermath I can't see it having a lasting affect. Ironic that Camilla's numbers by age group are the exact opposite of Charles' - the Crown effect may be?
Old 03-12-2021, 03:28 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
I need to disagree on the point re people having sympathy for them being cut off financially.

We have been in lockdown of one form or other for 1 year, people have lost their jobs, some are being furloughed ( paid a percentage of their income by the government to stay home ) to try and save jobs. Major businesses have went to the wall and you really think the young people of the UK are upset for Meghan the independent millionaire actress and her multi millionaire prince because bank of Dad closed.
They should have choked on their words for even complaining, I believe Meghan knows what it is to work hard to earn money and become independent but not Harry. The money Charles gave them was to support them here to help them to do royal duties, they walked away from that.
Old 03-12-2021, 03:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Harry & Meghan have been publicly a couple since 2017 so anyone up to the age of 22 (All but two of the ages in the "young age group") doesn't know the RF pre-Meghan and Harry sagas and that is important to bear in mind IMO.