The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-04-2020, 02:36 AM
Majesty

Yes, that is the question. On the other hand what is the intrinsic value of an institution in which few take much interest and apathy reigns especially among the under-25s.

And none of the countries which once were monarchies seem to want their royals back in power.

I've lived a long time. Attitudes towards the monarchy in Britain and Australia where I've lived for most have my life have undergone such a sea change in my lifetime that its like two different worlds. And in my view in the future it's not likely to change back to the enthusiasm for the British monarchy of my childhood.

Old 08-04-2020, 03:32 AM
Majesty

No but as long as the monarch and his/her close family are reasonably scandal free, (one doesn't expect them to be perfect) and reasonably hard working, I don't think the monarchy will disappear for some time...It is rather cheaper than having a president, it has a long tradition, and people are OK with it. A really awful scandal or a major war, might end things but I think it will run another hundred years...
I don think there has been "enthusiasm" for it for a long time, not since maybe the 1960s but there is enough support for it to survive.

Old 08-04-2020, 08:19 AM
Serene Highness

I just realised that I forgot to post the link for the YouGov poll for the question "Do you think that Britain should continue to have a monarchy, or not?"

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/travel/s.../02/18/8b405/1

Apologies if anyone is struggling to find the link
Old 08-30-2020, 04:21 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Yes, that is the question. On the other hand what is the intrinsic value of an institution in which few take much interest and apathy reigns especially among the under-25s.

And none of the countries which once were monarchies seem to want their royals back in power.

I've lived a long time. Attitudes towards the monarchy in Britain and Australia where I've lived for most have my life have undergone such a sea change in my lifetime that its like two different worlds. And in my view in the future it's not likely to change back to the enthusiasm for the British monarchy of my childhood.
I appreciate your perspective curryong. When I look at you tube clips from the 50's & 60's of royal tours or events in Britain I'm always struck by the huge numbers who turned out. Even for "junior" members of the royal family. And the very respectful commentary of broadcasters.

I feel that the first half of the C20th was the high water mark of deference for the monarchy & that it was bound to change eventually.

Being counter intuitive, might a very low key royal family actually be the best answer for the survival of the monarchy? A return to the simpler style of a George III for example, away from the imperial pomp & the model of a "family on the throne" created during the later C19th & early C20th. I wonder whether some attempts at being "relevant" (especially by younger members of the royal family) are counter productive. It almost feels sometimes as though they're trying too hard & I'm attempting not to be cynical or dismissive here.

In dullness lies survival perhaps.
Old 08-30-2020, 04:33 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post

Many of these countries have never held referendums, so it is difficult to know.

I will always be a monarchist.
Old 10-28-2020, 02:17 PM
Heir Apparent

The latest YouGov polling on the member of the British Royal Family are out.
Those polled rated the following members QEII, DoE, PoW, DssoC, the Cambridges, the Sussexes, Princess Royal, DoY and EoW.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/entertai..._favourability
Old 10-28-2020, 02:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Wow very interesting read. For those who want a brief overview the net popularity of the RF members - (positive minus negative numbers):

The Queen net 71%
William net 65%
Kate net 62%
Philip net 28%
Charles net 24%
Camilla net 1%
Harry net 1%
Meghan net -26%
Andrew net -73%

EDIT -

Anne net 50%
Edward net 9%
Old 10-28-2020, 03:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Wow very interesting read. For those who want a brief overview the net popularity of the RF members - (positive minus negative numbers):

The Queen net 71%
William net 65%
Kate net 62%
Philip net 28%
Charles net 24%
Camilla net 1%
Harry net 1%
Meghan net -26%
Andrew net -73%
Wow, people truly loathe Charles....despite all he’s done. It’s a shame, really. I think he’ll be a very good King, but I feel for him when he does take the throne. Aside from him being grief stricken over his mum, nothing he does will be right; everything he does will be wrong.

Poor Camilla..

Harry and Meghan...whew. I can’t say I’m surprised, but holy cow...
Old 10-28-2020, 03:28 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm not sure it shows that people loathe Charles, simply that he is not as popular as HM, William Kate and Philip. At a certain point he will likely inherit, along with his crown, some of that support. Its just the way things work.
Old 10-28-2020, 07:27 PM
Serene Highness

From reading through the full survey results in PDF file, apart from Harry, Meghan and Andrew, the net popularities amongst senior working royals (excluding Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, Duke and Duchess of Kent and Princess Alexandra) are more positive in
50-64 and 65+ (Age Category)
Leave voters (EU referendum)
Rest of South, excluding London (Region)
Conservative voters (Politics)
However, I think the Queen is rated overall positive amongst different age group, gender, region, social (class or income), EU referendum and politics. For all of the division, the total positive are above 65% and total negative below 25%.

For Harry and Meghan, these four/five groups above are the ones dragging the couple's net popularity down. In other words, these groups gave Harry & Meghan low total positive percentage and high negative percentage. I'm not surprised at all on Harry & Meghan's net popularity dropping down significantly, given that an earlier survey conducted on 30th September with sample size of 3250 GB adults showed that 48% think that they should be stripped of their royal titles, whilst 27% think they should not. Again, it's the same four/five groups that are contributing to the "They should be" response.
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics.../09/29/c9ea6/3

For Prince Edward, there is a relatively high percentage of "Don't know", but I hope as he picked up more public engagements and hopefully getting more notice through positive news, he becomes more popular. Again, I'm not surprised that he has higher percentage of total positive in Rest of South compared to other Regions.

Not surprised on Princess Anne's popularity, given that she is considered by many the hardest working royal with the highest number of engagements. She also celebrated her 70th birthday this year and the documentary for her birthday has been overall a success.
Old 10-28-2020, 07:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I'm not sure it shows that people loathe Charles, simply that he is not as popular as HM, William Kate and Philip. At a certain point he will likely inherit, along with his crown, some of that support. Its just the way things work.
I've no issue with others being more popular, but I saw 24% and my jaw dropped. Then I compared it to others....and that wasn't so bad, lol.

I personally don't put a lot of stock in polls, so....I shouldn't get so "frustrated" when I see Charles so low. That's not to say I'm not aware that Charles is relatively unpopular, just that I'm not a poll person because I don't think they (in general) accurately represent the population at large.
Old 10-28-2020, 07:57 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
I've no issue with others being more popular, but I saw 24% and my jaw dropped. Then I compared it to others....and that wasn't so bad, lol.

I personally don't put a lot of stock in polls, so....I shouldn't get so "frustrated" when I see Charles so low. That's not to say I'm not aware that Charles is relatively unpopular, just that I'm not a poll person because I don't think they (in general) accurately represent the population at large.
At one point, I was surprised on Philip's net popularity of 28%, but then again, he has stepped back from public duty and less seem in public. However, like you mentioned earlier, sometimes the polls do not accurately represent the UK population, unless it's quite a specific group that has been narrowed down (i.e. North, Midlands, London...)
Old 10-28-2020, 08:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
[...] I'm not surprised at all on Harry & Meghan's net popularity dropping down significantly, given that an earlier survey conducted on 30th September with sample size of 3250 GB adults showed that 48% think that they should be stripped of their royal titles, whilst 27% think they should not. Again, it's the same four/five groups that are contributing to the "They should be" response.
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics.../09/29/c9ea6/3
The clear correlation between popularity/unpopularity with each group and each group's level of support for stripping them of their titles indicates to me that most British poll respondents treat "title" questions in monarchy surveys as merely another opportunity to voice their views about the royals whose titles are being surveyed, instead of giving serious consideration to the protocol and principles of royal titles.
Old 10-28-2020, 10:19 PM
Majesty

Quote:

The Queen net 71%
William net 65%
Kate net 62%
Philip net 28%
Charles net 24%
Camilla net 1%
Harry net 1%
Meghan net -26%
Andrew net -73%

EDIT -

Anne net 50%
Edward net 9%
Probably also interesting: what's the change since March (to October):

The Queen net 71% (from 69%)
William net 65% (from 69%)
Catherine net 62% (from 57%)
Anne net 50% (from 47%)
Philip net 28% (from 25%)
Charles net 24% (from 31%)
Edward net 9% (from 5%)
Camilla net 1% (from 6%)
Harry net 1% (from 20%)
Meghan net -26% (from -8%)

Andrew net -73% (from - 71%)

In general, there are fewer people saying 'I don't know' and more expressing either a positive or a negative opinion. I've colored all the changes distinguishing between up/down (and between less than 10% and over 10% change).

Edit: looked at the data in another way. The percentages combine the very positive and fairly positive on the one hand and the very negative and fairly negative on the other hand. If we treat it as a scale (4 = very positive; 3 = fairly positive; 2 = fairly negative; 1 = very negative), we can calculate the mean score. A score of 2.5 would be neutral. Anything below 2.5 is negative (1 being the lowest) and anything above 2.5 is positive (4 being the highest).

The order changes a little if we take that approach:
The Queen: 3.38
William: 3.23
Catherine: 3.22
Anne: 3.15

Philip: 2.76
Charles: 2.67

Edward: 2.51
Harry: 2.43
Camilla: 2.38

Meghan: 2.04
Andrew: 1.40
Old 10-28-2020, 10:32 PM
Majesty

Quote:

A sizeable majority (59%) of the people actually have a positive opinion of him; however, about a third of the population (35%) thinks negatively about him. In general he is more liked by the older than by the younger generation; they only age groups that thinks more negatively than positively is 18-24. His numbers are very comparable to his father's.
Old 10-29-2020, 12:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
A sizeable majority (59%) of the people actually have a positive opinion of him; however, about a third of the population (35%) thinks negatively about him. In general he is more liked by the older than by the younger generation; they only age groups that thinks more negatively than positively is 18-24. His numbers are very comparable to his father's.
I get why older people would like him better than younger - but, what has he done that younger people would actively think negatively about him? I know that's a rhetorical question - I doubt it really has an answer. That said, what you posted is pretty positive overall. Thank you!
Old 10-29-2020, 01:25 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I get why older people would like him better than younger - but, what has he done that younger people would actively think negatively about him? I know that's a rhetorical question - I doubt it really has an answer. That said, what you posted is pretty positive overall. Thank you!
This is just a guess, I think the 18-24 age group on average (generalising here) still remembered Charles in the War of the Wales. I do think there is a possibility that there are more people in aged 18-24 compared to other age groups who strongly idolises Diana, considered her a "saint figure" and blamed the royal family (not just Charles) for her downfall.

I don't necessary think the anti-monarchy/republican sentiment is the reason for Charles low popularity, otherwise, Prince Philip, The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Princess Anne and Prince Edward would also have more total negative percentage.

I know it's 35% total positive, 45% total negative and 20% don't know for 18-24, so I don't think Charles is really disliked (i.e. his total negative is not above 50%).
Old 10-29-2020, 01:34 AM
Royal Highness

I dont think the palace would give much through about the survey. It might be nice to see age groups and SSE but that would be.
It is interesting that the only royals who don't participate with image consultancy - Edward and Philip are the most ambitiously, as expected. Charles and Camilla are quiet in a good spot considering where they were 10 years ago. Enough said about Andrew.
Old 10-29-2020, 02:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
This is just a guess, I think the 18-24 age group on average (generalising here) still remembered Charles in the War of the Wales. I do think there is a possibility that there are more people in aged 18-24 compared to other age groups who strongly idolises Diana, considered her a "saint figure" and blamed the royal family (not just Charles) for her downfall.
I'd say the 18-24 age group are the first ones who never knew Diana as they weren't born (or just barely) when she was alive.
I do think that agegroup might get their information from netflix, tvshows or movies about the Diana/Charles situation (which are generally onesided), and from social media/internet.
Like that "meme" going around with a pic of QEII and P.Philip with a caption "Scared to die because they are afraid to face Diana"

if that is your source of information, i can imagine a "popularity" question has little to do with the royals as they are, but as they are fictionalised.

just imo ofcourse
Old 10-29-2020, 06:52 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I agree and I think this correlates to the fact that there are three adult generations of the Royal Family amongst which people have to divide their support.

Quote:
Further to what I said above, I think a lot has to do with how people relate to the royals. For the younger generations, they may well relate more to the younger royals or relate more to the Queen being a more "grandmotherly" figure to look up to. Charles is sort of "caught in the middle" so to speak and so peoples thoughts about him are more neutral.