The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-06-2019, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Lovely to see Lady Sarah Chatto in attendance with her aunt the queen.

Old 10-06-2019, 04:24 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

It's great to see Lady Sarah there indeed. IIRC she's fairly close to Prince Charles and if my memory serves me correctly, she's Prince Harry's godmother and Charles is also godfather to either Arthur or Samuel (I can't remember which).

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 10-06-2019, 04:34 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
It's great to see Lady Sarah there indeed. IIRC she's fairly close to Prince Charles and if my memory serves me correctly, she's Prince Harry's godmother and Charles is also godfather to either Arthur or Samuel (I can't remember which).
Yes I understand them to be close. Charles gave a lovely interview about his aunt when she died. There's that enchanting picture of Sarah & Charles one summer long ago at Balmoral:Click image for larger version

Name:	Sarah Armstrong Jones.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	301906
Old 10-06-2019, 05:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

You know what Lady Sarah loves to eat whenever she’s visiting The Queen at Balmoral? She’s madly in love with the homemade Shortbread. Ever since she was a little girl, she has been nuts about the Shortbread that’s made at the castle. So The Queen always make sure the special treat is made for her when she comes to visit. I believe one of former royal chefs talked about this — I forget which one.

A.W. TOZER
Old 10-06-2019, 06:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
He is godfather to Sammuel.

Sarah is godmother to Harry and Lady Louise. Her brother is godfather to Beatrice.
Old 07-18-2020, 04:47 PM
Heir Apparent

The Times is saying HM will move to Balmoral in August, she and Philip will stay in the main castle and a new bubble of staff will be created to look after them and deal with matters of state etc.

Other members of the RF will join them, but will sty on other properties on the estate joining them for outdoor activities including BBQs but there will be no indoor meals.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/q...oral-n73gqk6rh
(it is behind a paywall)
Old 08-04-2020, 10:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Queen and Prince Philip leaves Windsor Castle to fly to Balmoral

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...ral-today.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...-Balmoral.html
Old 08-04-2020, 10:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

They flew to Scotland on a private jet owned by a British businessman?
Old 08-04-2020, 11:32 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Actually, taking a private jet is wise to me. Doing whatever they can to limit exposure to the virus. At 94 and 99, they're prime targets to get this virus and get the virus bad.

What I'm going to miss is the annual greeting HM gets from Cruachan IV, the Royal Regiment of Scotland's mascot. I always watch to see if he behaves himself when meeting the Queen or if he's going to nip at her flowers again for a snack.
Old 08-04-2020, 02:37 PM
Heir Apparent

They always fly on a jet, they use to use the RAF ones but they became too expensive. It doesn't mean it was lent to them for free necessarily as its not uncommon for owners of jets to give up some hours for charter to help offset the cost - likely the Palace went through a broker who set it up. Its just different as its not owned by a private jet company. There is no real other way to get to Balmoral and HM never flies scheduled flights at the best of times never mind now mid-covid.
Old 08-04-2020, 02:59 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
The Queen and Prince Philip leaves Windsor Castle to fly to Balmoral

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...ral-today.html
I once read that Balmoral is more than one hour away from Aberdeen airport.
Old 08-04-2020, 03:56 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan D View Post
I once read that Balmoral is more than one hour away from Aberdeen airport.
Yes it is by road but an hour driving through the countryside there is lovely.
Old 08-04-2020, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
They flew to Scotland on a private jet owned by a British businessman?
Some quick research shows that the jet used to belong to Daniel Levy but is now available for private lease. Here is an article going back to 2015 when the jet for first used on their trip to Berlin:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...te-jet-5937997

Anyway, I'm so glad that the Queen and Prince Philip are able to have their annual holiday in Scotland - it'll be a nice change of scene for them after spending months at Windsor.
Old 08-04-2020, 05:05 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
Yes it is by road but an hour driving through the countryside there is lovely.
I don't think it will be a lovely drive today..the photos of show rather miserable looking drizzle.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 08-04-2020, 05:40 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post

What I'm going to miss is the annual greeting HM gets from Cruachan IV, the Royal Regiment of Scotland's mascot. I always watch to see if he behaves himself when meeting the Queen or if he's going to nip at her flowers again for a snack.
He often seems to do something cheeky and she often looks delighted by it.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:01 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
You know what Lady Sarah loves to eat whenever she’s visiting The Queen at Balmoral? She’s madly in love with the homemade Shortbread. Ever since she was a little girl, she has been nuts about the Shortbread that’s made at the castle. So The Queen always make sure the special treat is made for her when she comes to visit. I believe one of former royal chefs talked about this — I forget which one.
Yes, all we grandmothers enjoy fixing their grandchildren's favorite meals or treats whenever they visit. It is a love thing.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

Aunt not grandmother. But the queen certainly has always had a very close relationship with her sister's children. And always enjoys when they visit her in the summer. I am sure the chef is always apprised to have the short bread on the ready for when Sarah comes to visit.

Now who could turn down homemade Scottish shortbread is beyond me

I will miss Cruachan IV this year. He definitely lightens up any presentation. Maybe the queen can send him some flowers to munch on as a hello
Old 08-04-2020, 11:27 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
Some quick research shows that the jet used to belong to Daniel Levy but is now available for private lease. Here is an article going back to 2015 when the jet for first used on their trip to Berlin:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...te-jet-5937997

Anyway, I'm so glad that the Queen and Prince Philip are able to have their annual holiday in Scotland - it'll be a nice change of scene for them after spending months at Windsor.
Me, too! It’s the Queen’s favorite place, and she and Philip will get to spend time with their family, which is wonderful.
Old 08-09-2020, 01:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

Queen Elizabeth spotted in Balmoral!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...len-Muick.html
Old 08-09-2020, 11:03 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
Queen Elizabeth spotted in Balmoral!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...len-Muick.html

Thanks eya. Wonderful to see the Queen out on the trail.

I wonder if the Wessex family will stay on. I read this morning that the Cambridge family are going there very soon.