Summer Holidays at Balmoral: 2019 - 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Trench warfare? With respect, that is just preposterous. To me, this is just some Sussex fans rather ineptly trying to show William and Catherine up, and the media "milking" it.

There may or may not be issues between the W&C and H&M, but I see no evidence of their households being at war. The Firm is hierarchical by its very nature, and every one ought to know where they stand.

Well said, you just have to read the posts on here, and as somebody claimed on one of the threads the other day the media take their stories from here.

It is turning in to tit for tat, if we are not all careful there will be a re run of the war of the Waleses but not by them by social and print media.

Favoured journalists given stories, friends speaking up for either party.
Sources close to the family etc etc..
It was not a good time, and did nobody any favours.
Every day was a different headline.

Nowadays we have the added factor of social media which seems to be free of any regulation and people just say what they like and put over opinion as fact.

That is what it is like on here and the newspapers at times.

I do believe the media were delighted with the photograph of the Cambridge family at the airport,they used it for point scoring. It wasnt helped by some of the posts on here about why the family were flying using a commercial flight, and allegations it was a staged photograph. Now it is the turn of the Cambridges to get the hit because Flybe changed the plane, and they should have noticed it was a different coloured livery on the plane.

Every word , opinion or action is now been taken as a slight or dig at the other party.

I think we all need to look at ourselves and what we are writing. I know I have in the past allowed myself to react to posts.

I also notice that it suits some posters to believe whats in the newspapers or magazines yet other times the same outlets or reporters are called out for fake news etc.

I am now going back to watching my paint dry, I am not sure if the colour is correct......but I should have noticed that before I put it on the wall.
( I know mods that was naughty but just trying to bring a bit of light in to the darkness)

Has anyone compiled a list of how all the BRF members travelled to & from Balmoral this year? I'd like to see who travelled how & when if that info is in the public domain.

The Queen ...
Duke of Edinburgh ...
Prince Charles (went to Castle of Mey 1st) ...
Duchess of Cornwall ...
Duke & Duchess of Cambridge - commercial flight Norwich to Aberdeen
Prince Andrew - arrived how? - left by private jet from Aberdeen
Princess Eugenie ...
Princess Beatrice ...
Sarah DoY - arrived how? - left by private jet from Aberdeen
Earl & Countess of Wessex ...
Princess Anne ...
Peter Phillips ...
Zara Tindall ...

Would anyone flying really care what plane is used? The Cambridges along with all the other passengers paid £73 a head for a regularly scheduled flight to Aberdeen.

That the airline switched planes, which happens all the time, is the airlines business not the paying public’s.

I wouldn’t care what plane I was flying on. However the airline switched planes, for the sole purpose of PR, which does not happen all the time if ever. Changes of planes happen due to mechanical issues etc.

Would they have switched the planes if the Cambridge’s weren’t on the plane? No.

There's is OBVIOUSLY a trench warfare between the two households of the media battlefront.
It's silly, sad and the only thing irremediably damaged in these ridiculous stories in the Crown.
And don't yack again about "who began what" The "Fab four" are gone, we get it, now time to get over it. The problem is here and they better fix this asap and stop this tedious cannibalism, for the sake of the Monarchy.

Nico, I’m posting my response to your post here-
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...ers-of-the-british-royal-family-15549-72.html

Would anyone flying really care what plane is used? The Cambridges along with all the other passengers paid £73 a head for a regularly scheduled flight to Aberdeen.

That the airline switched planes, which happens all the time, is the airlines business not the paying public’s.

Well, as a member of the public I'm glad to know that this airline will pull a tacky (and unnecessary) marketing stunt. If they have no problem exploiting five royals, then they surely have even less regard for the 'plebs' that fly with them. I prefer to know which companies I should avoid. I wouldn't doubt that the Cambridges are side-eyeing them too.

Will the Cambridges use this information next time they book a flight, maybe but William and family still flew commercial. This is an airline story not a Cambridges story.

I think some people are upset they didn’t charter a private jet in a show of perverse solidarity with Harry and Meghan.

Reactions: Fem
Has anyone compiled a list of how all the BRF members travelled to & from Balmoral this year? I'd like to see who travelled how & when if that info is in the public domain.

The Queen ...
Duke of Edinburgh ...
Duchess of Cornwall ...
Princess Eugenie ...
Princess Beatrice ...
Princess Anne ...
Peter Phillips ...
Zara Tindall ...

Why do we need to know that...

Carmela Motto posted this to Twitter. You can see who the plane is by underneath They borrow / use - other equipment all the time.

ECvWmOAW4AEl0A3

Why do we need to know that...

I think Lilyflo is trying to make a point that we don’t know how the others got there so why does it matter how the Cambridge’s got there.

Will the Cambridges use this information next time they book a flight, maybe but William and family still flew commercial. This is an airline story not a Cambridges story.

I think some people are upset they didn’t charter a private jet in a show of perverse solidarity with Harry and Meghan.

Except it involves the Cambridge’s, because the stunt was pulled due to them being on the plane.

Nope, pretty sure nobodies upset they didn’t charter a private jet.

I think Lilyflo is trying to make a point that we don’t know how the others got there so why does it matter how the Cambridge’s got there.

I see where you are coming from.

Well, as a member of the public I'm glad to know that this airline will pull a tacky (and unnecessary) marketing stunt. If they have no problem exploiting five royals, then they surely have even less regard for the 'plebs' that fly with them. I prefer to know which companies I should avoid. I wouldn't doubt that the Cambridges are side-eyeing them too.

Do you have FLybe ....

Last edited by a moderator:

Not really but that's a valid reason I suppose. To be honest, I'm more interested in how they all travelled because I'd like to know what steps they're all taking to travel in a more environmentally friendly way. There has been a big increase last year in their travel-related carbon footprint (can't remember where I've seen that but it was published in mainstream media recently).

It could be argued they don't have much choice in work-related travel due to time constraints but a trip to Balmoral is in the middle of the BRF break so I'm interested to see their travel choices.

I think it’s great they used a regularly scheduled commercial flight. They also used British Airways to travel to Mustique.

Obviously for official engagements private jets will have to sometimes be used but it’s nice they fly commercial for holidays.

They turned up and got on their scheduled flight on the plane that was there, they didn’t demand a different one so I see how a business/logistics decision by the company has anytbing to do with the Camebridges. I know in the past that a plane I have flown on has had to been flown empty from one airport to get to the one I was flying from, for airlines it is pretty common. I suspect at least some good will come from this in that airlines will think twice about doing it again just because a royal is on flight. Its a non story IMO

I think some ppl got excited at first and thought the Cambridges used the commercial plane as a private jet (seriously did they think they bought out all the seats?) ...there was quite the hullabaloo on twitter last night.

Much ado about nothing.

LaRae

The Queen ...
Duke of Edinburgh ...
Duchess of Cornwall ...
Princess Eugenie ...
Princess Beatrice ...
Princess Anne ...
Peter Phillips ...
Zara Tindall ...

The Queen almost certainly arrived by private jet which will be met by the sovereign grant funding as the Queen, Charles (and incidentally W&K) are permitted to class residence-residence travel as official.

I doubt Anne or Edward would arrive by private jet unless they were able to combine it with some sort of official engagement before hand. They don't seem the sort to splash out on private jets.

We can almost certainly say Zara and Peter and their families would not use private jet, they don't have that sort of lifestyle.

Sarah was pictured arriving at Aberdeen airport on a scheduled flight, I wasn't aware she had left by private jet but in the hullabaloo of her apparently having to leave because Philip arrived I can't say I took note of how she left.

Thanks Tommy. I'm not really bothered about the costs, just the mode of transport in holiday time, which I'd like to know about if it's in the public domain (if not, fair enough).

A topic for another thread is the BRF transport / large increase last year in carbon footprint, which is what I'm more interested in. I must make it clear that I don't begrudge any BRF member travelling as per RPO advice. I'd hate to live their life in the goldfish bowl & at risk from harm by all sorts of terrorists & weirdos. I want them to be safe more than I want them to reduce their carbon footprint.

The Queen almost certainly arrived by private jet which will be met by the sovereign grant funding as the Queen, Charles (and incidentally W&K) are permitted to class residence-residence travel as official.

Is that true?

The cost of the Queen's flight (and Charles and Cams if they used jets) will be in the financial reports released in June time.
The most recent reports can be found here https://www.royal.uk/financial-reports-2018-19 and the cost of travel appendix shows the following for last financial year (up to march 2019)

April 2018 Charles and Camilla - charter jet - Northolt - Aberdeen £17,992
April 2018 The Queen - charter jet - Northolt - Aberdeen £16,330
April 2018 The Queen - charter jet - Aberdeen - Northolt £16,404
June 2018 Charles & Camilla - charter jet - Brize Norton - Aberdeen £16,627
June 2018 Charles and Camilla - Charter jet - Aberdeen - Northolt £16,617
July 2018 The Queen - charter jet - Northolt- Aberdeen £16,731
Oct 2018 The Queen - charter jet - Aberdeen - Northolt £17,689
Oct 2018 Chales - charter je - Aberdeen - Northolt- Aberdeen £28,911
Dec 2018 Charles - charter jet - Northolt-Prestwick-Brize Norton £17,259

Which totals £164,560 before someone asks

Lumutqueen - yes, the sovereign grant report states:

The Sovereign Grant meets the cost of official journeys undertaken by or in support of TheQueen and other members of the Royal Family. Travel by The Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh, The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall and The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge between residences is categorised as official.

From here, pg 16
https://www.royal.uk/sites/default/files/media/final_sovereign_grant_for_website.pdf

William and Kate were added to the list of those who can class residence-residence travel as official sometime after the 13/14 financial report and the 14/15 one.

Last edited:
I understood the Queen takes the train every year to Balmoral....is this accurate?

LaRae

No, she takes the train from London to Sandringham every December and often does so to return in February.

I have read the annual Britannia cruise use to end somewhere close by in Scotland allowing easy (or easier) travel from the royal yacht to Balmoral. In the past the Royals have used the royal train to get to Balmoral but doubt they have since the nearest station at Ballater closed in 1966.

Last edited:
I was surprised to see so many pix of the rf in the Fail. I thought they weren't able to get pix of them there, so remote?

I believe most of the photos are from Glas-allt-Shiel, a lodge on the edge of Loch Muick, I think there is some public access hence how the photographers are able to get pictures. The Queen and Philip seem to use the lodge most weeks for a BBQ so any half decent photographer would know where to be.

We have seen at Sandringham that even when photographers are on public lands getting pictures if the Queen and RF feel it is getting too much they will intervene and threaten legal action.

I believe most of the photos are from Glas-allt-Shiel, a lodge on the edge of Loch Muick, I think there is some public access hence how the photographers are able to get pictures. The Queen and Philip seem to use the lodge most weeks for a BBQ so any half decent photographer would know where to be.

We have seen at Sandringham that even when photographers are on public lands getting pictures if the Queen and RF feel it is getting too much they will intervene and threaten legal action.

Thanks tommy100.

I checked out this property on Google Earth, but that is limited, although there is a closeup of a dead deer in one of the Street View areas!

Then I came across a lot of photos and a great first-hand experience of the property from a blogger who was hiking and stayed there. (It is a shelter for walkers.)

Some furniture is from Queen Victoria’s time.

Icing on the cake, apart from the photos, was the staff saying that William, Kate and some of their friends had spent Halloween, (2016), at the house.

If the cambridge airplanes crashes , no Heir to be and no Heir to be after him.
I am sure they travelled separately.

I'm not sure why you would think that when we saw them together on their way on or off the plane.

We have seen them travel together before to Poland, New Zealand and Canada to name just a few as well as to go on holiday to Mustique (we saw William holding George on year). Incidentally William, Harry and Charles all travelled together before when needed, most notably after the death of the Queen Mother.

Whether or not they should travel separately is a different issue but it is clear, at the moment at least, they do all travel together.

The Queen and Charles do not travel on the same plane, likewise Charles and William do not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom