Summer Holidays at Balmoral: 2019 - 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are these the holiday cottages on the estate?

There are a number of holiday cottages on the Estate as seen here https://www.balmoralcastle.com/cottages.htm many of these state they are not available during "the royal visit" I also imagine there are other properties that are not let out as well. Charles and Cams obviously have Birkhall and I think it was said William was given the use of a cottage on the estate when he was at university at St Andrews and there is Craigowen Lodge which HM uses when the Castle is still open to the public so there are probably plenty of places they can use.
They may well have changed tact since the original announcement and allowed some people to stay in the Castle (after all hotels and B&Bs are open) but equally probably better safe than sorry, especially when there are plenty of additional houses available.

Sounds like most of the family are up there at the moment, apparently W&K and the children are there along with Wessexes and now clearly Anne and Tim. I would also guess Charles is still at Birkhall? Nice family catch up

Last edited:
I thought they were supposed to visit Charles and Camilla...hopefully soon. I also wonder when C and C will get up to Balmoral

I found a Tatler article that quoted from the Daily Mail. Prince George reportedly watched his father Duke of Cambridge at Scottish grouse shoot.

The other attendees to the shoot according to the Daily Mail were The Duchess of Cambridge, Princess Anne, Vice Admiral Tim Laurence, Peter Phillips, Prince Edward and James, Viscount Severn.

Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis stayed at home in Balmoral. Peter Phillips was staying at Balmoral estates with Savannah and Isla. The Countess of Wessex and Lady Louise Windsor later joined the family (I assumed Cambridges, Wessex and Phillips) for lunch.

Queen, Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall were "not thought to be present" at the shoot or lunch. I presume, because they are in the "at risk" category.

Again this was unconfirmed.

https://www.tatler.com/article/duke...e-watches-grouse-shoot-scotland-near-balmoral

I hope Charles and Camilla are or planning to arrive at Balmoral soon. I am not quite sure if they are at Birkhall, Highgrove House or even Clarence House :lol:

I thought they were supposed to visit Charles and Camilla...hopefully soon. I also wonder when C and C will get up to Balmoral

Due to Covid, Charles and Camilla have spent a good chunk of the year in Scotland. They spent the early lockdown, especially when he was quarantined, at Birkhall which is part of the estate. They have left at times and gone back to work down in England, but they were there in August when the queen arrived.

I hope Charles and Camilla are or planning to arrive at Balmoral soon. I am not quite sure if they are at Birkhall, Highgrove House or even Clarence House

Being at Birkhall is being at Balmoral for the couple. When they go for their Balmoral holiday, they stay at Birkhall not the main castle.

Last edited:
I found a Tatler article that quoted from the Daily Mail. Prince George reportedly watched his father Duke of Cambridge at Scottish grouse shoot.

The other attendees to the shoot according to the Daily Mail were The Duchess of Cambridge, Princess Anne, Vice Admiral Tim Laurence, Peter Phillips, Prince Edward and James, Viscount Severn.

Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis stayed at home in Balmoral. Peter Phillips was staying at Balmoral estates with Savannah and Isla. The Countess of Wessex and Lady Louise Windsor later joined the family (I assumed Cambridges, Wessex and Phillips) for lunch.

Queen, Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall were "not thought to be present" at the shoot or lunch. I presume, because they are in the "at risk" category.

Again this was unconfirmed.

https://www.tatler.com/article/duke...e-watches-grouse-shoot-scotland-near-balmoral

I hope Charles and Camilla are or planning to arrive at Balmoral soon. I am not quite sure if they are at Birkhall, Highgrove House or even Clarence House :lol:

Thank you!

I also found this, from the Daily Express. I remember the original VF article...

Vanity Fair’s Katie Nicholl said Prince Charles, 71, is “looking forward” to spending time with the Cambridges during a “family holiday” in Scotland in August after five months apart.

She wrote: “Prince Charles will be on engagements in the south-west of the country on George’s birthday, but is looking forward to spending time with all his grandchildren when the Cambridges head to Scotland for a family holiday next month.”

This is the last weekend where this is possible so it is likely the family will journey up to visit them over this bank holiday weekend, potentially spending part of next weekend in Scotland as well.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/roya...william-cambridge-bank-holiday-isle-of-scilly

Due to Covid, Charles and Camilla have spent a good chunk of the year in Scotland. They spent the early lockdown, especially when he was quarantined, at Birkhall which is part of the estate. They have left at times and gone back to work down in England, but they were there in August when the queen arrived.

Being at Birkhall is being at Balmoral for the couple. When they go for their Balmoral holiday, they stay at Birkhall not the main castle.

Thanks for the clarification. I knew that Charles had spent lockdown in Scotland. I don’t know if he’s seen his parents yet, though?

Thanks for the clarification. I knew that Charles had spent lockdown in Scotland. I don’t know if he’s seen his parents yet, though?

He was at Birkhall still when the queen and Philip arrived in early August. And he said at the time he was staying another week. I assume he likely visited his parents. But unless they are seen outside where lenses can catch them, we don't know.

Last edited:
He was at Birkhall still when the queen and Philip arrived in early August. And he said at the time he was staying another week. I assume he likely visited his parents. But unless they are seen outside where lenses can catch them, we don't know.

That’s true, lol. Not everything is for public consumption. In any case, Iif he hasn’t, then he will....I remember a few weeks ago how emotional Charles got about not being able to see his family - he specifically mentioned his father, though obviously he meant everyone.

He is probably conscious of how Old Philip is now and worried that he might never see him in the flesh again if lockdown went on...

Did the queen attend church yesterday, normally we'd see photos?

Good point. Have not seen any pictures of HM and the various family members on their weekly trip to Crathie.

Like last year I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see her as a prevention against crowds gathering.

Scotland is just lifting most of the last of their restrictions but some still exist including how many people can gather outside without a permit.

She officially arrived today, August 9! (Though may have arrived a few days earlier of course)

And inspected a Guard of Honour formed of the 5 SCOTS, Balaklava Company, 5th Battalion The Royal Regiment of Scotland, plus not to forget: Shetland Pony Lance Corporal Cruachan IV ;)

** rex gallery ** dailymail article ** gettyimages gallery **

Last edited:
Thanks and perhaps we'll see more over the next week weeks as family members arrive?

Video from the Arrival to Balmoral

Last edited:
All is well in the world. The Queen is in Scotland and has been officially greeted by her well behaved (this time) friend, Lance Corporal Cruachan IV. This is something I look forward to seeing each year ever since the pony decided to have a snack of the Queen's bouquet.

He may have been eyeballing her hat in that video but don't quote me on that. :lol:

The papers are reporting that she won't be attending church. There's no legal reason not to, but a lot of people, especially elderly people, are still trying to avoid crowds.

She can hear the mass online (live).

I don't think we had seen them with a nanny before - but apparently the nanny is joining them for their stay at Balmoral.

No Prince Phillip Duke of Edinburgh and Fergie is there.
Nice to see Eugenie and family.

I don't think we had seen them with a nanny before - but apparently the nanny is joining them for their stay at Balmoral.

This makes sense to me because a baby does not pay attention to the timelines of a day at Balmoral. I'm sure the entire family is going to enjoy every minute that they get to spend together.

No Prince Phillip Duke of Edinburgh and Fergie is there.
Nice to see Eugenie and family.

Sarah has been going for the first week in August for years but she always leaves before Philip used to arrive (often along with the rest of the York's).

Baby August looked like he was enjoying a serious snooze on his nanny’s shoulder. Made me remember having a sweet sleeping baby on my shoulder...

It doesn't make the British monarchy look good for Prince Andrew to be so physically near to the Queen. Balmoral is a holiday home and not an "office" like Buckingham Palace or Windsor Castle. If Prince Andrew gets a dressing down, it'll look too informal at Balmoral.

It doesn't make the British monarchy look good for Prince Andrew to be so physically near to the Queen. Balmoral is a holiday home and not an "office" like Buckingham Palace or Windsor Castle. If Prince Andrew gets a dressing down, it'll look too informal at Balmoral.

I disagree strongly with this. I think it would reflect even worse on the British monarchy and the Queen for her to to turn her back on and snub her own beloved son.

Even if there were to be a shock and awe dressing down of Andrew by anyone while he's at Balmoral, it wouldn't look like anything at all because it would be done totally in private within the family with no inkling of it appearing in the public domain.

Love the sinner, hate the sin. That applies aptly here IMO.

As both Jack and Eugenie have flexible careers, a Nanny is still essential to keep August on a normal routine. Trying to pretend they are like an ordinary young couple is just not realistic when you add "family obligations" to the mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom