Summer Holidays at Balmoral: 2019 - 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's great to see Lady Sarah there indeed. IIRC she's fairly close to Prince Charles and if my memory serves me correctly, she's Prince Harry's godmother and Charles is also godfather to either Arthur or Samuel (I can't remember which).

Yes I understand them to be close. Charles gave a lovely interview about his aunt when she died. There's that enchanting picture of Sarah & Charles one summer long ago at Balmoral:Sarah Armstrong Jones.jpg

Last edited:
You know what Lady Sarah loves to eat whenever she’s visiting The Queen at Balmoral? She’s madly in love with the homemade Shortbread. Ever since she was a little girl, she has been nuts about the Shortbread that’s made at the castle. So The Queen always make sure the special treat is made for her when she comes to visit. I believe one of former royal chefs talked about this — I forget which one.

It's great to see Lady Sarah there indeed. IIRC she's fairly close to Prince Charles and if my memory serves me correctly, she's Prince Harry's godmother and Charles is also godfather to either Arthur or Samuel (I can't remember which).

He is godfather to Sammuel.

Sarah is godmother to Harry and Lady Louise. Her brother is godfather to Beatrice.

The Times is saying HM will move to Balmoral in August, she and Philip will stay in the main castle and a new bubble of staff will be created to look after them and deal with matters of state etc.

Other members of the RF will join them, but will sty on other properties on the estate joining them for outdoor activities including BBQs but there will be no indoor meals.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/queen-and-prince-philip-to-move-to-balmoral-n73gqk6rh
(it is behind a paywall)

They flew to Scotland on a private jet owned by a British businessman?

Actually, taking a private jet is wise to me. Doing whatever they can to limit exposure to the virus. At 94 and 99, they're prime targets to get this virus and get the virus bad.

What I'm going to miss is the annual greeting HM gets from Cruachan IV, the Royal Regiment of Scotland's mascot. I always watch to see if he behaves himself when meeting the Queen or if he's going to nip at her flowers again for a snack. :D

They always fly on a jet, they use to use the RAF ones but they became too expensive. It doesn't mean it was lent to them for free necessarily as its not uncommon for owners of jets to give up some hours for charter to help offset the cost - likely the Palace went through a broker who set it up. Its just different as its not owned by a private jet company. There is no real other way to get to Balmoral and HM never flies scheduled flights at the best of times never mind now mid-covid.

I once read that Balmoral is more than one hour away from Aberdeen airport.

Yes it is by road but an hour driving through the countryside there is lovely.

They flew to Scotland on a private jet owned by a British businessman?

Some quick research shows that the jet used to belong to Daniel Levy but is now available for private lease. Here is an article going back to 2015 when the jet for first used on their trip to Berlin:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/queen-jets-germany-private-jet-5937997

Anyway, I'm so glad that the Queen and Prince Philip are able to have their annual holiday in Scotland - it'll be a nice change of scene for them after spending months at Windsor.

Yes it is by road but an hour driving through the countryside there is lovely.

I don't think it will be a lovely drive today..the photos of show rather miserable looking drizzle.:sad:

What I'm going to miss is the annual greeting HM gets from Cruachan IV, the Royal Regiment of Scotland's mascot. I always watch to see if he behaves himself when meeting the Queen or if he's going to nip at her flowers again for a snack. :D

He often seems to do something cheeky and she often looks delighted by it.

You know what Lady Sarah loves to eat whenever she’s visiting The Queen at Balmoral? She’s madly in love with the homemade Shortbread. Ever since she was a little girl, she has been nuts about the Shortbread that’s made at the castle. So The Queen always make sure the special treat is made for her when she comes to visit. I believe one of former royal chefs talked about this — I forget which one.

Yes, all we grandmothers enjoy fixing their grandchildren's favorite meals or treats whenever they visit. It is a love thing.

:previous: Aunt not grandmother. But the queen certainly has always had a very close relationship with her sister's children. And always enjoys when they visit her in the summer. I am sure the chef is always apprised to have the short bread on the ready for when Sarah comes to visit.

Now who could turn down homemade Scottish shortbread is beyond me :D

I will miss Cruachan IV this year. He definitely lightens up any presentation. Maybe the queen can send him some flowers to munch on as a hello :lol:

Some quick research shows that the jet used to belong to Daniel Levy but is now available for private lease. Here is an article going back to 2015 when the jet for first used on their trip to Berlin:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/queen-jets-germany-private-jet-5937997

Anyway, I'm so glad that the Queen and Prince Philip are able to have their annual holiday in Scotland - it'll be a nice change of scene for them after spending months at Windsor.

Me, too! It’s the Queen’s favorite place, and she and Philip will get to spend time with their family, which is wonderful.

Wonderful to see Queen Elizabeth enjoying herself. Never ceases to amaze....

Will she be alone the whole Summer ?

No, she traveled to Balmoral with the duke of Edinburgh and will have family members (including the Wessex and Cambridge families) visit as usual - although they'll have to apply strict social distancing measures and probably mostly meet outside.

Apparently the family will all stay on properties on the estate rather than in the main castle with HM and will only meet up outside. They are usually big on doing walks, bbqs and picnics together anyway so apart from the property they are staying in not much else will change in that they will still be able to do what they usually do.

Apparently the family will all stay on properties on the estate rather than in the main castle with HM and will only meet up outside. They are usually big on doing walks, bbqs and picnics together anyway so apart from the property they are staying in not much else will change in that they will still be able to do what they usually do.

I think that will be absolutely lovely for the family to enjoy a great time, especially with Prince Philip in his 99 year. He remines me of my Mom who's body was starting to give way at 98 but her mind could still answer questions on games like Jeopardy on TV faster than I did. I still see him handing out his opinion to all the family. Just adore him.

Given that it is possibly only the Queen and Prince Philip at Balmoral this year in the castle, query whether they will even bother opening up the castle? The Queen may well have chosen to stay at Craigowan Lodge or another property on the estate herself.

Are these the holiday cottages on the estate?

I am quite sure everyone has had a test beforehand so it's safe to stick around HM and the DoE. Even inside. :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom