Succession to the Crown Act 2013, Part 1: 2011 - Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Organic change I have no problem with. Its when politicians try and legislate fairness and equality in monarchy that things fall apart.

Could you give an example of when politicians have legislated fairness in the British monarchy and the negative effect it had?

Just an odd thought here and perhaps someone could clarify it for me what the actual rules and regulations and all are.

To me, if lets say William comes to the throne and Catherine is then only titled and styled as The Princess Consort, wouldn't that make the marriage morganatic bu having a lesser rank and style than her husband? Wouldn't it take an act of Parliament to redefine morganatic and add that as the mother of the future monarch, he/she is entitled to can can inherit the throne along with whatever else?

mor·ga·nat·ic (môrg-ntk)
adj.
Of or being a legal marriage between a person of royal or noble birth and a partner of lower rank, in which it is agreed that no titles or estates of the royal or noble partner are to be shared by the partner of inferior rank nor by any of the offspring of the marriage.

I think its best left alone and a King has his Queen but no man should outrank a Queen.

Last edited:
Just an odd thought here and perhaps someone could clarify it for me what the actual rules and regulations and all are.

To me, if lets say William comes to the throne and Catherine is then only titled and styled as The Princess Consort, wouldn't that make the marriage morganatic bu having a lesser rank and style than her husband? Wouldn't it take an act of Parliament to redefine morganatic and add that as the mother of the future monarch, he/she is entitled to can can inherit the throne along with whatever else?

mor·ga·nat·ic (môrg-ntk)
adj.
Of or being a legal marriage between a person of royal or noble birth and a partner of lower rank, in which it is agreed that no titles or estates of the royal or noble partner are to be shared by the partner of inferior rank nor by any of the offspring of the marriage.

I think its best left alone and a King has his Queen but no man should outrank a Queen.
Exactly. Just as I think if Camilla is titled Princess Consort, it would mean the marriage is being treated as morganatic.

However if the Parliament legislates that that is the way it is to be they will be making it clear that that isn't a morganatic marriage.

Parliament can define a marriage as whatever it wants. If Parliament did pass this legislation they would deal with that concept in the process.

A queen is higher title than a princess.
So british consorts will be lower rank than queen-consorts in Denmark or Sweden.
Very interesting
and Parliament hasn't power in this case

My understanding of a "morganatic" marriage is that it is a legal marriage between disparate ranked individuals where the lower ranked partner does not receive a title, nor the offspring inherit titles from the higher ranked parent.....Catherine is a Duchess through her marriage already, her children will inherit their father's titles/etc eventually, so the marriage does not fit the definition of morganatic as I understand it.

The Duchess of Cornwall being referred to as The Princess Consort once Prince Charles ascends the throne is, I think, more aimed at pacifying those who never got over the divorce. You'll notice that HRH is never referred to as The Princess of Wales, although she is the current one.

However if the Parliament legislates that that is the way it is to be they will be making it clear that that isn't a morganatic marriage.

Parliament can define a marriage as whatever it wants. If Parliament did pass this legislation they would deal with that concept in the process.

If this was something brought in front of the legislature in the US, it'd be a cold day in hell before they ever got to it. :ROFLMAO: OH wait.. it IS winter here.. never mind.

Spare a thought for the Duchess of Cambridge | Columnists | Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express
AS we fondly wish each other a Happy New Year (and I sincerely hope that comes true for you), let’s spare a special thought for the Duchess of Cambridge who is going through a sickness hell that we men can’t imagine in order to deliver a future heir to the throne.
I posted this in the general information thread but I'll put it here as well because Peter Hill gives us his opinion on the proposal for 'Princess Consort'

Last edited:
I think the very idea of not giving Catherine the title of Her Majesty The Queen would be a slap in Catherine's face and William's face. I don't think a change like that would happen but I think Catherine deserve to have the title Queen Catherine when William comes to the throne.

A basic question: historically, the wife if the reigning King has been The Queen Consort - why would Catherine be any different? I'm not following the whole line of thought here at all..

I personally think the wife of The King should be called Her Majesty The Queen. From what I understand Camilla wants to be called HRH The Princess Consort and I think her preferred titled should be respected.

I think if both Charles & Camilla decide HM The Queen should be the correct title, then I say that's how it should be.

As for Catherine, I think William will want his wife to be called HM The Queen and I think's just how she should be addressed.

But doesn't the "Camilla" situation relate to the "mood" of the people and the reverence with which many still hold for the late Diana, Princess of Wales? To make the Duchess more " acceptable"? ie a small "p" political move? That's pretty much how it was presented here anyway - that while the Duchess of Cornwall is entitled to be known as the Princess of Wales, then later, Queen Consort, she has decided not to be so styled .The Lady Diana and the title Princess of Wales were and are so indelibly linked, in the people's mind that for Camilla to assume that title would only further alienate the populace at time when tptb were trying to rehabilitate her image.

Last edited:
:previous: I said something similar earlier. Camilla is Charles' wife, the Queen approves of her, the rest of the BRF has accepted her, she deserves her title of "Her Majesty" when Charles comes to the throne.

I think the very idea of not giving Catherine the title of Her Majesty The Queen would be a slap in Catherine's face and William's face. I don't think a change like that would happen but I think Catherine deserve to have the title Queen Catherine when William comes to the throne.
Exactly when William comes to throne I want King William and Queen Catherine. :D

I would really, really like to know Prince Philip's opinion on this issue.

The Duchess of Cornwall deserves to be Queen because she is married to the man who will be King.

The only qualification to be Queen Consort is to be married to The King and thus Camilla is as deserving as any other person who has held that title in the past.

Why does the Duchess of Cornwall "deserve" it?

Why doesn't she? I'm pretty sure every previous consort of an English king has been called Queen Consort. Yes I know there was the Duchess of Windsor but in that case the king abdicated so it's a different situation.

The Prince of Wales official website says that HRH will be Princess Consort....I take that to be the "current" last word 're this issue, so whatever we think or say is irrelevent.

Last edited:
The Prince of Wales official website says that HRH will be Princess Consort....I take that to be the "current" last word 're this issue, so whatever we think or say is irrelevent.

I'm not challenging the information but I can't find it on the site. Could you tell me where to look? Thanks in advance.

Edited to add: I see it now!

Too bad.

Last edited:
The same thing is also on the official British Monarchy website.

:previous: I said something similar earlier. Camilla is Charles' wife, the Queen approves of her, the rest of the BRF has accepted her, she deserves her title of "Her Majesty" when Charles comes to the throne.

Yes, and Diana was never Queen, so there is no conflict.

It's just a shame they posted that. However, I suppose if she is officially Queen Consort and styled by her preference as Princess Consort, then it might set less of a precedent. Just as now she is by right Princess of Wales but styled Duchess of Cornwall. I just find it hard to believe that Charles wants his wife to be the first consort of a king in England/UK to be denied the title of Queen, and would that affect Kate's eventual title? Personally, I prefer to believe that once Charles is King, he will decide that his wife should be Queen. Just as HM gave her husband the status of a prince of the realm a few years after her accession.

Last edited by a moderator:
See above posts and the FAQ section of princeofwales.gov.uk

From what I understand Camilla wants to be called HRH The Princess Consort and I think her preferred titled should be respected.

I think if both Charles & Camilla decide HM The Queen should be the correct title, then I say that's how it should be.

As for Catherine, I think William will want his wife to be called HM The Queen and I think's just how she should be addressed.
I agree with this.

It isn't because the parliament will have to pass legislation to demote her from Queen to Princess and it can't do that until after the death of the present Queen. Tony Blair and others within the government indicated as much as the time of the engagement and wedding.

It isn't because the parliament will have to pass legislation to demote her from Queen to Princess and it can't do that until after the death of the present Queen. Tony Blair and others within the government indicated as much as the time of the engagement and wedding.

Then it will be very interesting to see if they actually do so.

Back
Top Bottom