State Visits to the UK From the Past

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since i'm in a big despair with our current French President and his lack of "savoir vivre", let's bring the memories of the most glorious French state visit ever : the de Gaulle visit in 1960 (with an evening balcony appearance not least).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i30H1WDansg

Wonderful videos. The State Visits of the time were beautifully grand. I also liked that several members of the royal family attended the welcoming ceremony and not just two senior royals like these days.

I love to look back at all the old footage and seeing lots of royal faces from the past like Mary Princess Royal,Baudouin and Fabiola and so on.

1976 French State Visit (no sound)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL4wgLKnT0A

Last edited:
Great , great with flags of the Countries; how popular the Guests were in the past.
Queen Elisabeth and Prince Philip are still alive , only Grand Duke of Luxembourg survived
The Crown Prince of Nepal killed the King and the Queen , family members and himself.

Here is a list of State Visits to the United Kingdom by fellow European monarchs (and their consorts) during Queen Elizabeth II's reign.

1. Belgium

May 14-17, 1963: King Baudouin and Queen Fabiola

2. Luxembourg

June 13-16, 1972: Grand Duke Jean and Grand Duchess Joséphine Charlotte

3. Sweden

June 28- July 1, 1954: King Gustaf VI Adolf and Queen Louise
July 8-11, 1975: King Carl XVI Gustaf

4. The Netherlands

April 11-15, 1972: Queen Julian and Prince Bernhard
November 16-19, 1982: Queen Beatrix and Prince Claus

5. Norway

October 16-19, 1962: King Olav V
April 12-15, 1988: King Olav V

6. Denmark

April 30-May 3, 1974: Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik
February 16-18, 2000: Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik

7. Spain

April 22-25, 1986: King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofía
July 12-14, 2017: King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia

Based on the dates above, a Belgian state visit in particular is long overdue since there has been only one during the Queen's reign and it was in 1963 (i.e. almost 55 years ago !).

:previous:

The same can be said about a Norwegian State Visit. It’s been a long time. Several others as well.

Last edited:
:previous:

The same can be said about a Norwegian State Visit. It’s been a long time. Several others as well.

There was a Norwegian state visit in 1988, which is not so long ago. Besides, there was also an official visit in the year of the centenary of Norway (2005 ?), which is not listed above, as it was technically not a state visit, but was complete with a white-tie state banquet.

I would place Norway, Denmark and Spain at the bottom of the list of priority for incoming state visits by fellow European monarchs. Belgium, Luxembourg and Sweden should be on the top of the list based on the date of the last state visit to the UK,followed by the Netherlands.

In the case of Belgium, not only was the last state visit almost 55 years ago, but also King Albert II finished his reign without receiving the Order of the Garter (unlike all of his predecessors on the Belgian throne).

Of course, the priorities of the British government are different (currently the top priority being the US state visit ?) and, with the Queen's advanced age, I don't see her hosting more than one state visit per year, if any at all.

Last edited:
There was a State Visit from Norwway which was hosted i Scotland in i believe 1994. And the official Visit ion 2005 which all like State Visit but only not in name

A State Visit from the US might happen, but it’s all very complicated at the moment. Could be a different Pres.

I agree with the top lists.

A State Visit from the US might happen, but it’s all very complicated at the moment. Could be a different Pres.

I agree with the top lists.
Is the bit about a different POTUS wishful thinking?

Is the bit about a different POTUS wishful thinking?

No, just saying.... it’s not the best time during an investigation and during major election year. Lots of complications. If not, the visit would’ve happened already.

Last edited:
Obama's State Visit to the UK was in 2011 - three years after his election and over two years after his inauguration.

If Trump had one this year it would be earlier in his presidency than Obama's State Visit.

Obama made other visits but only one official State Visit and that was in 2011 - after William and Kate's wedding.

Obama's State Visit to the UK was in 2011 - three years after his election and over two years after his inauguration.

If Trump had one this year it would be earlier in his presidency than Obama's State Visit.

Obama made other visits but only one official State Visit and that was in 2011 - after William and Kate's wedding.

The invite came January 2017. If there were no complications and protest, it would’ve happened in tne summer or fall of last year. Or at least a Spring 2018 Visit.

Whenever it happens, the welcome won’t look pretty at all.

Last edited:
1970 State Visit from Luxembourg

State visit from King Baudouin and Queen Fabiola of Belgium

The Grand Duke and Duchess of Luxembourg don’t bow or curtsey even on the Queen’s turf. Suppose since official visit and visiting as head of state, they consider themselves equal.

The Grand Duke and Duchess of Luxembourg don’t bow or curtsey even on the Queen’s turf. Suppose since official visit and visiting as head of state, they consider themselves equal.
As reining monarchs they are equal

I am posting here because the relevant forum is closed,.

The Guardian is reporting today that President Trump’s postponed state visit to the UK is back on and expected to take place next June. No official announcement yet apparently.

Edit: The BBC is also saying Buckingham Palace is expected to announce the state visit later today.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom