State Visit from the President of the United States: 2017 [Postponed]

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ROYAL NORWAY

Heir Apparent
City
somewhere
Country
Norway
Donald Trump plans new deal for Britain as Theresa May becomes first foreign leader to meet new president since inauguration
Donald Trump wants to tee off with the Queen at Balmoral Castle during the US president’s first official state visit to the UK this summer, under plans being discussed in Downing Street.

Mr Trump’s team want to create a photograph opportunity to rival the famous images of President Ronald Reagan horse riding with the Queen at Windsor Castle when he visited in the 1982.

Just the thogth of Trump meeting my Queen makes me sick.

Last edited by a moderator:

After reading this, my main thought is "wow... this can only be strong evidence that Richard Curtis actually had the ability to see into the future."

I sincerely hope that the government doesn't pressure HM into inviting him into her private home, especially in service of granting his ego "a “full Monty” visit that will eclipse the trips of his predecessors in pomp and ceremony." ::rolls eyes::

Last edited by a moderator:
The Queen has welcomed Ceausescu, Mugabe and Putin into her home for state visits. She has met Martin McGuiness and Gerry Adams - members of a terrorist organisation who killed hundred and hundreds of her people, including Lord Mountbatton.

The Queen will do what is required of her as head of state. Like it or not, Mr Trump is the democratically elected head of the UK's closest ally. We can't just sit in a corner in a huff until he's voted out, much as many people in Europe would seemingly prefer.

After reading this, my main thought is "wow... this can only be strong evidence that Richard Curtis actually had the ability to see into the future."

I sincerely hope that the government doesn't pressure HM into inviting him into her private home, especially in service of granting his ego "a “full Monty” visit that will eclipse the trips of his predecessors in pomp and ceremony." ::rolls eyes::

One thing I would bet my last Pepsi on is that Trump may not know what he's getting himself into when it comes to being with HM, The Queen. If she does invite him to spend time at Balmoral, it'll be The Queen who stage manages what happens and it'll be The Queen that will give him "the look" if he gets out of line and I also will bet that with HM, The Queen, it'll be tea time and not tee time. I've never read anywhere where HM is remotely interested in golf.

No matter who visits HM at Balmoral, they all find out quickly enough that time is very well structured there and things are run like clockwork. Part of me thinks that either it'd be amusing to see HM and the DoE take the Trumps on a picnic or barbeque at one of the cabins on the estate and serve food in tupperware bowls or to go on an adventure with very long hikes in the woods and over the river and through the woods. It'd be the "full Monty" in regards as to doing something that the House of Windsor love to do best in their downtime.

Personally, I'd advise Trump that perhaps his best bet would be to arrange to meet HM when he can be in and out at Windsor Castle PDQ. ;) Not to denigrate the man at all but I do think he's kind of like a bull in a china shop in his mannerisms.

Reactions: hel
The Queen has welcomed Ceausescu, Mugabe and Putin into her home for state visits. She has met Martin McGuiness and Gerry Adams - members of a terrorist organisation who killed hundred and hundreds of her people, including Lord Mountbatton.

The Queen will do what is required of her as head of state. Like it or not, Mr Trump is the democratically elected head of the UK's closest ally. We can't just sit in a corner in a huff until he's voted out, much as many people in Europe would seemingly prefer.

The Queen has invited those men into her official residences, which are State buildings that belong to the nation, and which she inhabits and uses as the Head of State.

Balmoral is the private possession and home of Elizabeth Alexandra Mary, head of the house of Windsor.

I have no objection to Trump visiting either Windsor or BP (though I'm contemptuous of his naked ambition to use HM as a PR prop). But I reserve the right to think it shabby of the government to ask her to open her private home in order to serve the PR purposes of any head of state.

The Queen has invited those men into her official residences, which are State buildings that belong to the nation, and which she inhabits and uses as the Head of State.

Balmoral is the private possession and home of Elizabeth Alexandra Mary, head of the house of Windsor.

I have no objection to Trump visiting either Windsor or BP (though I'm contemptuous of his naked ambition to use HM as a PR prop). But I reserve the right to think it shabby of the government to ask her to open her private home in order to serve the PR purposes of any head of state.

I agree! She is (as we have read in several articles) the government's secret weapon.

A government source said this last year: "The Queen is the key here. She's not a secret weapon, she's the biggest public weapon you have. Nigel Farage can't get [Trump] in front of the Queen."

Another source (close to Trump) said that he can't wait to get his picture with the Queen.

Unfortunately, hosting visiting heads of state are part of the job. She has had to host far worse: Ceausescu, Honecker.....

Yes, I know!

And thanks to the mods for (rightly) removing my my ill-considered word about Trump in my above post.

Pope Benedict state visit was hosted in Scotland but at Holyrood. The whole golf thing seems laughable. The Queen doesn't golf. You're going to make a 91 year old woman ride around a golf course in a golf cart so Trump gets a photo. It's not going to be the same as the Queen with Reagan who both loved to ride horses. It will be totally fake.

Also if I am the Queen, I start planting trees all over the golf course. What golf course, that's Charles's new eco tree farm.

The Queen has hosted the King of Saudi Arabia at Balmoral, even drove him around the estate personally! Everyone knows that Saudi Arabia's human rights record is appalling to say the least. Women cannot leave the house without a male relative, they can't drive, homosexuals are put to death in the most disgusting ways, critics of the regime are sentenced to all sorts of barbaric punishments, women have been convicted for being the victims of rape, need I go on???

If HM can stomach having the head of such a state stay with her in her private home then she can stomach Mr Trump.

The British government uses the Queen (and the other royals) for the diplomatic advantage of the UK all the time. That's the point of the royals and of state visits! If the Queen having Mr Tump to tea at Balmoral makes trade negotiations easier when we finally leave the EU, I really cannot picture the Queen saying no. She can see the big picture better than anyone.

I think the only way around coercing HM into allowing herself to be used to further inflate President Trump's ego by inviting him to her personal home, would be to treat him to an old fashioned-fashioned, pomp and circumstance "State Visit" a la France's President Nicolas Sarkozy and his wife Carla would be in order.

To demand HM reschedule her year and open her own home would be cheap political posturing with HM as the main exhibit. She does not know Donald Trump nor his wife Melania so a visit such as President Regan had would be farcical. He and the BRF formed a genuine friendship during his time in office that lasted past his term in office.

To even think that HM should be asked to act like the Trumps are bosom buddies and allowing herself to be hugged by total strangers for the cameras gives one the chills. It would be an unconscionable act of political hubris for Prime Minister May to even contemplate and one I believe HM, Prince Philip and Prince Charles would refuse to allow.

Last edited:
Sorry, where is the suggestion that the Queen should 'allow herself to be hugged' by Mr Trump? When Michelle Obama broke protocol and put her arm around the Queen she seemed perfectly comfortable and most posters here saw nothing at all wrong with it.

The Queen is a diplomatic weapon for the UK, always has been. I have no doubt that the Queen realises that. It is her job to promote the UK on the global stage and to help foster strong relations with other countries. Of course she won't play golf with Trump, that's a total non-starter. But I can't imagine HM would have a hard time hosting a special visit for the US President. She's done this before - for the state visit of the French president she hosted a special performance of Les Mis at Windsor Castle for goodness sake. She even renamed the Waterloo Chamber for the night!

I think a lot of people are letting their personal feelings on Trump cloud their vision on this. I don't agree with a lot of what Trump says, far from it, but as we leave the EU we will need the US on our side. With Brexit coming up, pragmatism has to win out in this instance.

From The Telegraph

Donald Trump wants to tee off with the Queen at Balmoral Castle during the US president’s first official state visit to the UK this summer, under plans being discussed in Downing Street.

Discussions are underway about the president playing a round of golf on the private nine-hole course at Balmoral while the Queen looks on.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are also set to be involved as the royal family rolls out the red carpet for the US President and his First Lady.

Mr Trump’s team want to create a photograph opportunity to rival the famous images of President Ronald Reagan horse riding with the Queen at Windsor Castle when he visited in the 1982.
Read more: Donald Trump plans new deal for Britain as Theresa May becomes first foreign leader to meet new president since inauguration

Britain needs America. It doesn't matter who the President is. The Queen will make whatever accommodations are asked of her by the government.

I think a lot of people are letting their personal feelings on Trump cloud their vision on this. I don't agree with a lot of what Trump says, far from it, but as we leave the EU we will need the US on our side. With Brexit coming up, pragmatism has to win out in this instance.
Excuse me! I would feel exactly the same if HM was planned to be politically manipulated in such a cynical way were it the new President of France, Germany or any other country for that matter.

What gives HM distinction and gravitas is her unwavering seasonal changes. Her people expect to see her going to church at Christmas and Easter regardless of the fact that they rarely see her many other Sundays. She is seen as dignified, compassionate and an ideal to admire. Cynical manipulation of the BRF for strategic photo ops for whichever party is in power renders them little more than political puppets.

Strangely enough, a state visit, with its attendant State Dinner and reciprocating gala, is seeing the BRF being used to best effect as the very best of British formal "Welcome" and the speeches rarely deviate from the purpose of the visit and in some weird way, they are not seen as "political".

Golf with strangers in her home and pretending she is a close friend just like with the Reagans is another thing altogether. Most Heads of State don't come to the UK for a selfie with the Queen. They come for business and the BRF are the icing on the cake, not the main course.

The tone and itinerary of a State Visit reflects the government's agenda.

The Government made the Queen shake hands with Martin McGuinness, the head of the IRA when Lord Mountbatten was murdered. That was purely political. The Queen is used for political purposes all the time.

If Trump playing golf at Balmoral will help the UK strike a trade deal with America, it will happen.

Last edited:
Reagan's visit was a typical state visit at Windsor Castle. The invite was issued in December 1981 and occurred in June 1982. That's early in the Reagan administration. The Queen and the President weren't close friends at the time. That visit was the first meeting.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...ignored-Queens-Windsor-Castle-invitation.html

The Queen doesn't golf. It would be ridiculous to make her fly to Scotland just to sit in a golf cart for a fake photo op. If the President wants to use her golf course, I sure the Duke of York would be happen to play with him.

:previous: Indeed, I believe that first meeting, much like the Obama's, got off to a roaring start and continued as a personal friendship.

As to the DoY hosting the golf? Both a sensible and practicable idea, however, that is not the aim of the aforementioned "selfie" with HM.

Excuse me! I would feel exactly the same if HM was planned to be politically manipulated in such a cynical way were it the new President of France, Germany or any other country for that matter.

What gives HM distinction and gravitas is her unwavering seasonal changes. Her people expect to see her going to church at Christmas and Easter regardless of the fact that they rarely see her many other Sundays. She is seen as dignified, compassionate and an ideal to admire. Cynical manipulation of the BRF for strategic photo ops for whichever party is in power renders them little more than political puppets.

Strangely enough, a state visit, with its attendant State Dinner and reciprocating gala, is seeing the BRF being used to best effect as the very best of British formal "Welcome" and the speeches rarely deviate from the purpose of the visit and in some weird way, they are not seen as "political".

Golf with strangers in her home and pretending she is a close friend just like with the Reagans is another thing altogether. Most Heads of State don't come to the UK for a selfie with the Queen. They come for business and the BRF are the icing on the cake, not the main course.

Not sure what I need to excuse you for.

You seriously think the average Brit has any idea whatsoever about the Queen's seasonal habits? Honestly? Most people have no idea where the Queen spends her summers, in fact I'd guess most people think she lives in BP most of the time. The Queen has deviated from her usual calendar when the need arises before.

You miss the point that the royals are used for diplomatic manipulation all the time. The Queen has hosted visitors which include mass murderers whom I'm sure she would prefer not to have got within a hundred feet of! She was dispatched to all the major EU countries ahead of David Cameron's attempted EU renegotiation. She does it because the democratically elected govt of the day tells her to. She has also gone the extra mile for particularly special state visits when it was deemed necessary.

I remember watching an interview with Laura Bush about their state visit to the UK. What did she mention as the best bit? Getting to stay with the Queen in Buckingham Palace because it was so surreal. Like it or not, HM is our biggest diplomatic weapon and has always been dispatched by the UK govt when they see fit. She is such an iconic figure, as is BP,Windsor Castle, the horses and carriages, the Guards regiments etc, that foreign leaders trip over themselves to come here.

The more I've thought about it, the more I think, if time allowed, it would serve Donald Trump well to perhaps *shadow* HM, The Queen for a summer and pick up some much needed lessons in diplomacy and tact and maybe even copy some of her regal demeanor. The Queen is *the* master of diplomacy on the world stage. One thing though is a given no matter where Trump meets the Queen. It will be a big lesson in protocol and what to do and not to do and he will be told how things go rather than than him flying by the seat of his pants on how he wants things to be.

To be honest too, I thought it rather glib and way out in left field with Trump calling the Prime Minister "my Maggie". It would be like an audience with the Pope and addressing him as "Frankie".

One never demands respect and friendship. It is earned.

Press Association ‏@PA
#Breaking Donald Trump has accepted an invitation to make a state visit to the UK, Prime Minister Theresa May says

State visit from the United States to the United Kingdom in 2017

British PM Theresa May has just announced in a joint press conference in Washington DC that US president Donald Trump has accepted an invitation from Her Majesty The Queen to pay a state visit to the UK later this year accompanied by First Lady Melania Trump. Further details will be provided when available.

Last edited:
The announcement is unsurprising as the countries in question are said to have special relationships.

Hopefully Mrs Trump will have nice ensembles.

How degrading for HM the Queen that she has to receive & kowtow to such a couple. One would have hoped they could have spared her this humiliation, especially at this advanced age.

Last edited:
HM is simply a pawn of the government and was always going to be one of the first people to host the Trumps to a State Visit. The UK needs to the US, particularly as they prepare for Brexit and HM and the BRF will be used to ensure that relationship continues.

HM has hosted way worse and future monarchs will do so as well.

HM has kowtowed to whomever the British government of the day has told her to and she will continue to do so. If she doesn't wish to do so then her alternative is to abdicate as it is her duty to obey the demands of her government.

I think the during her long reign QEII has met with worse people than Trump (murderers like Mugabe etc) so I think she will deal with it professionally, as always.

After 'touch-gate' with the Obamas (Michelle patted QEII on the back) the press will be on highest alert to produce stories.

I lived in London when Obama visited and it was a nightmare. There were three helicopters going back and forth to the US embassy, one carrying Obama, two for distraction. Obama's car 'The Beast' got stuck on a ramp. I am sure with Trump there will be lots of drama, too. Looking forward to this visit!!

How degrading for HM the Queen that she has to receive & kowtow to such a couple. One would have hoped they could have spared her this humiliation, especially at this advanced age.

The Queen will do her duty, always.

Well...it's an event to look forward to.

I wish my British friends on this forum and across the U.K. were getting a President worthy of such a visit.

If you can break bread Nicolae Ceaușescu, you can break bread with anyone. Trump is democratically elected

Whilst I do not like Donald Trump and have the greatest respect for the Queen and am personally a believer in the system on Monarchy I'm sure the Queen (Who has never once been elected to office) will do her duty without complaint in meeting the democratically elected President of her country's closest ally.
The Queen has/had met the current President of Syria, President Putin, Mobutu Sese Seko, Robert Mugabe, Nursultan Nazarbayev, Yoweri Museveni & Nicolae Ceausescu. Whilst I do not like or respect Donald Trump as a person I think any outrage at the Queen meeting him is ridiculous.

Whilst I do not like Donald Trump and have the greatest respect for the Queen and am personally a believer in the system on Monarchy I'm sure the Queen (Who has never once been elected to office) will do her duty without complaint in meeting the democratically elected President of her country's closest ally.
The Queen has/had met the current President of Syria, President Putin, Mobutu Sese Seko, Robert Mugabe, Nursultan Nazarbayev, Yoweri Museveni & Nicolae Ceausescu. Whilst I do not like or respect Donald Trump as a person I think any outrage at the Queen meeting him is ridiculous.

Should the outrage (for those who are outraged) be directed at Theresa May then ? After all, the golden rule of any modern European constitutional monarchy is that ministers take responsibility for the monarch's actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom