State Visit from the President of the United States: May 24-26, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's all agree that everyone at some point has done something that can be construed as embarassing and move on. That goes for royalty, politicans, movie stars and regular people.

Thanks!

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Zonk...what a MEMORY you have...you are exactly right. TIME used that very photo of Jackie on it's cover the week of her death, and NEWSWEEK used an equally stunning one of her in a raspberry coloured wool suit taken in 1961.

Both magazines got a lot of criticism for choosing photos of her in her youth rather than a more current one, but they were both beautiful. I have both magazines, by the way.

Now I am hearing that the President referred to HM in his speech as "you??" :bang:

Okay...I think we need to sack the entire Office of Protocol. Seriously...what the %^$# are those folks getting paid for??

SACK ALL OF THEM AND HIRE ME!!:lol:

Oh, please, HM, big deal is just another person. If that bothers her, which, I doubt, with all of her unearned perks, she should quit. But then, again, she is not you. You is a noun and perfectly acceptable. Really, a waste of time.

COUNTESS, as usual you are right, and I am sure the Queen and DoE are sitting around in their private quarters at night gnashing their teeth and fuming that the bumpkins from over the pond can NEVER get it right-ONLY NOT!:lol:

It's just that I am personally a stickler for protocol..and I am afraid from reading this Board that the President's enemies will use these gaffes as "proof" that he is not ready for primetime.

Oh well.:ermm:

Last edited:
You are right. Those who want to fault him, will find some silyl, un....I don't even know a word....like their people are so perfect. Blaming poor President George WH Bush for throwing up is ridiculous, he was sick couldn't help it, it wasn't a breach of protocol.

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on whose protocol. The band was out of place. It was obvioous he was still speaking. They were rude. And, actually, at dinners a band playing an anthem is ridiculous. He, certainly, didn't let us down.

The band was not out of place, in any toast, a wedding toast, party toast, or a state dinner toast when you go I propose a toast to _____ and then stop talking for 2 seconds then it's done. If he had kept talking right away maybe they would of caught it but he left a pause and then continued talking after ending the speech. You cant put a post script in a speech it's not a letter...

I, assume, that the band had a leader with a functioning brain. Two seconds is not a lifetime. No, it is not a postscript, but some people speak at their timetable, not some nonsensical pace. An anthem at a dinner. How gauche!!!

You are right. Those who want to fault him, will find some silyl, un....I don't even know a word....like their people are so perfect. Blaming poor President George WH Bush for throwing up is ridiculous, he was sick couldn't help it, it wasn't a breach of protocol.

Oh God...I remember that..and I felt furious at the media for saying he had "disgraced" himself and the U.S....what was the poor man supposed to do? :ohmy:

MAY 24: His Royal Highness Prince Charles, Prince of Wales and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall leave Clarence House on their way to Buckingham Palace to meet with US President Barack Obama on May 24, 2011 in London, England.

Daylife picture
another picture

OK.. its late and I'm just starting to catch up on this thread. Are my eyes deceiving me? Is our Camilla starting a new daytime dress trend? From the second picture, I get the impression that Camilla is wearing what we used to call a "skort". Maybe its time I get that outfit from waybackwhen out of my closet and wear it again. If Camilla can do it... :D

The Queens dress was quite unflattering for the reception, Micelle Obama looked much better than at the banquet the day before.

I, assume, that the band had a leader with a functioning brain. Two seconds is not a lifetime. No, it is not a postscript, but some people speak at their timetable, not some nonsensical pace. An anthem at a dinner. How gauche!!!

Anyone with half a brain knows that the Queen always has the Anthem played at a dinner immediately the toast is proposed.

It is also extremely rude to the nation concerned to speak during any national Anthem.

The US President was out of step on all fronts.

Thankfully he isn't representing me as I expect those that do to have some idea on the correct form at dinners etc.

I don't expect that everyone would have learnt it as children, as I did, but I do expect that if they aspire to high office they will learn some basic elements of protocol.

The band is trained to start the Anthem on the saying of the words - regardless of a break in the speaker's voice.

The toast is the end of the speech - for anyone with any basic education in protocol anyway.

The Queens dress was quite unflattering for the reception, Micelle Obama looked much better than at the banquet the day before.

That wouldn't have been hard to look better but what on earth was that thing around her neck and wrist - it looked like the sort of play jewellery my girls had in their toy box when they got all caught up - not classy or anything like that.

I wonder how these hollywood actors get invited.Can someone please explain?

I wouldnt be suprised that Helena was invited because she played her mother!

I figured that the reason these Hollywood stars were invited is that they were probably working in England at the time.

I also expect the band leader to be paying attention, i.e. watching what's going on, not just listening for three or four little words. Did Obama have his glass raised at that point signaling the end of his speech/toast? NO! To attempt to cut off somebody's speech with music is very rude!

LONDON - MAY 26:
U.S. President Barack Obama and first lady Michelle Obama arrive at Stansted Airport, ON May 26, 2011 near London, England. Obama is leaving Britain for the G8 Summit in Dueville, France, following a two day state visit. The 44th President of the United States, Barack Obama, and First Lady Michelle were in the UK at the invitation of HM Queen Elizabeth II . DAYLIFE PHOTOS

Lady Gudgeon said:
Thanks for the new pictures, monic! I didn't know there was another event tonight. Michelle looks fabulous although I'm not a fan on the necklace - too busy for my tastes. I think I was so distracted by the necklace I didn't even notice her hair! I love all outfits from last night as well...I wish it was de rigor here in the US to wear tiaras! I'd love to see Michelle rocking some sparklies!
You're welcome, Lady Gudgeon; here are some big photos from the visit. :)

http://roccosrevolution.files.wordp...lle-obama-queen-elizabeth-state-dinner-09.jpg
http://roccosrevolution.files.wordp...lle-obama-queen-elizabeth-state-dinner-05.jpg
http://roccosrevolution.files.wordp...lle-obama-queen-elizabeth-state-dinner-02.jpg
http://www.aolcdn.com/photogalleryassets/bv-life-style/1000625/michelle-obama-05-1040pk052511.jpg
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/pb-110524-obs-royals-da-03.jpg
Mr. & Mrs. Obama make a Royal appearance at Buckingham Palace (PHOTOS)
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/05/24/article-1390291-0C3E7B5100000578-322_964x1152.jpg
When President Barack Obama serves food... (PHOTOS)
Style Watch: Michelle Obama

Last edited:
It seems the President & the first lady arrived at the airport by helicopter, do we know where they would've taken it from? Buckingham palace maybe?

Last edited by a moderator:
The incident with Obama tosting over the British National Anthem was somewhat of a fau pax, but Her Majesty has had to put up with far worse. Look into the 1980 State Visit to Morocco, not to metion being obscured by microphones on the visit to America in 1991; the next day before a joint meeting of the Houses Her Majesty began her speech with "I hope you can all see me today". And more recently in 2007 Bush Jr. slipped on his dates for Her Majesty being in America in 1976, not as he said 1776. She has always handled such things with grace, dignity, and has always, always, always been herself.

who is dressing michelle obama and would they please stop! the full skirted dresses she wears are horrendous on her...they make her look huge. she is tall and beautiful and should be wearing things are more fitted to her body....the black ralph lauren was absolutley perfect for her.

Duchess, whoever is advising her to wear flared skirts with a belt is NOT her friend. :sad:

She should stick to sheath type dresses for daytime, as they are far more flattering to her height and build.

But she rarely gets it wrong at night, thank goodness!

Last edited:
Shriek! Why didn't someone tell Michelle about that huge plant behind her??
:ohmy:

Belts don't work for everyone and unfortunately Michelle is one of those people. At least not all the time.

But yes, in regards to evening wear she more often than not knocks it out of the park IMO.

I do wonder how they select those who will be in attendance for the official State banquet and at the dinner at the Ambassador's residence.

So the BRF typically has two state visits a year correct? Whose next? There are such few times when we see the diamonds like this.

Last edited:
I think the Royal Collection "tour" is a lovely feature of the state visits. Wouldn't you like to be the person in charge of the collection with the job of selecting interesting material?

I think the Royal Collection "tour" is a lovely feature of the state visits. Wouldn't you like to be the person in charge of the collection with the job of selecting interesting material?

That would be heaven! But judging by their gifts to each other, I wonder how much of the stuff just gets passed back and forth over the years.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom