State Visit from the President of the United States: May 24-26, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to admit, and present myself and utterly clueless as to Royal protocol, but I didn't think the Anthem playing over Obama's words was wrong... I thought it made it sound more dramatic. I had not realised that that was wrong...

Obama toasts queen, special US-Britain bond - World news - Europe - msnbc.com

Palace aides described Elizabeth as closely involved in preparations for the visit and happy to have the Obamas come for a two-night sleepover. Before the Obamas emerged on the palace back lawn for the formal arrival ceremony, the queen and her husband personally showed them around their suite of rooms, last occupied by Prince William and his wife on their wedding day.

After a private luncheon, the queen arranged a display for the Obamas of historical items from the palace collection that would be of particular interest to them, including books and relics from early Hawaii, and photos and details about the Resolute desk, a gift from Britain that now serves as the president's desk in the Oval Office. The couples chatted easily as they toured the exhibit, Obama jokingly calling the Resolute desk "a pretty good deal" for the United States.

The Obamas struck a highly personal note in their gift for the queen, giving her a selection of memorabilia and photographs from her parents' 1939 visit to the United States. The queen is said to have been very close to her parents.

The queen took special care, too, in her gift choices, providing the president with a collection of letters from the Royal Archives to and from past U.S. presidents and English monarchs. For Mrs. Obama, there was an antique brooch with coral roses.

Jeez, how some people can get worked up about something trivial when there was a much more important event going on...

I doubt Catherine needs to be lectured about being too tanned and I also don't think this forum is the right place to discuss things like that :whistling:

LadyLove said:
Hi Im not sure where to post this so here goes.... Does anyone know if the name of the tiara that The Queen wore for state banquet? Was it the lovers Knot?

I vaguely recall it was described as having a Russian connection but I could be totally wrong. I always tune out during dull tv commentaries.

I love the video of the VIP guests arriving and waiting in the ballroom for the banquet to arrive. Its on the BBC site....its must have been the first time for some of the attendees...they are just looking around in awe. I must admit...I would have done the same.

Skippy said:
Jeez, how some people can get worked up about something trivial when there was a much more important event going on...

I doubt Catherine needs to be lectured about being too tanned and I also don't think this forum is the right place to discuss things like that :whistling:

I wasn't saying she needed to be lectured, I was objecting to the poster who said she looked healthy and tan when those two things don't go together. And I hate that it's still considered fashionable because it really is quite a dangerous fashion.

I do however, think she looked gorgeous and very poised

He should know that as soon as he has offered the toast the speech is finished and that is when the band starts - lack of knowledge of protocol on the part of the US President - sorry not the band's fault but his - for not knowing how a speech should be constructed - proper introductions to people, say what you want to say and then toast the host - end of speech as the toast is the signal for the band to play the National Anthem.

Sorry Americans but your president let you down on this matter.

I have to agree. Nothing happens at BP without absolute precision. Extremely poor preperation on protocol for our President. Embarassing to say the least.

:previous: I don't think its awful just not appropriate for the event.

She should have worn a more tailored outfit. This one is something that would work well at a cocktail party IMO. But even that is pushing it:ermm: I hope she does better tonight.

The fabric is exquisite, but the design and fit leave a lot to be desired. She also looks like she's wearing a wig and she has new wedding jewelry -- which she appears to get every year.

Unfortunately, I just don't like her.

I have to agree. Nothing happens at BP without absolute precision. Extremely poor preperation on protocol for our President. Embarassing to say the least.

Its really not that embarassing. No more than George Bush winking at the Queen, or Gerald Ford trying to do the bump when the Queen visited the White House, Jimmy Carter kissing Queen Elizabeth on the lips, Michelle Obama touching the Queen or Hillary Clinton wishing the Queen a Happy Birthday a week before her actual birthday.

Mistakes happen. Its not the end of the world.

The first day appears to be all pomp...meetings today and speaking in front of Parliament. And then off to the G8 Summit.

ETA: Correction to my earlier post...Jimmy Carter kissed Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother. And Gerald Ford danced with Queen Elizabeth II as the Marine Band started playing The Lady is a Tramp...not a bump per se...just a totally inappropriate song.

Last edited:
From a psychological standpoint, those photos of Kate and MO are very telling. Kate is making the classic gestures that say "I don't want to be here."

Imo, The Duchess of Cornwall yet again 'frumped' it up. That dress is entirely unworkable with her body shape and is too robust which weighs her down and indicates just how problematic and unflattering her hunched shoulders are. And the hair?!! I know it is never likely change but it damn well should and she always wears the same drab (however expensive) diamond necklace and earrings which are in themselves, a terrible design I think.

Anyone would think it would near kill her to 'live a little' and dare to wear other items of jewellery for a change.

Get a decent, more flattering and dare I suggest contemporary hairstyle, wear evening gowns that suit or work with your body shape and not against it and try outing one or two pieces of jewellery you have at your disposal.

For me, Camilla can become so incredibly predictable and stale at times.

Her day attire for the arrival and at Buckingham Palace was quite flattering and that hat is superbly fashioned for her height and build and really balances her out. She looked wonderful, but when night falls...

From a psychological standpoint, those photos of Kate and MO are very telling. Kate is making the classic gestures that say "I don't want to be here."

You'll have to excuse me, but are you a qualified psychologist?

I believe we all see what we want to see in photo's, not necessarily what reflects the integrity of an encounter shared between two people.

Last edited:
Wow, after watching Obama's speech I'm a little ashamed to call him my President. First he only addressed the Prime minister and other distinguished guests half way through the speech, the proper way would have been to start; "Your majesty, your highness', Mr. Prime Minister, distinguished guests, ladies and gentleman." Then because of his not so formal approach to a very formal speech the band started playing because he proposed his toast, then kept on talking, then instead of realizing his mistake he didn't respect the British National Anthem he just kept talking. Then in the middle of the national anthem goes and tries to toast with the Queen. What a shame!

I don't understand why the Office of Protocol doesn't brief our Presidents on how to offer toasts at Royal banquets.:bang:

I remember back in 1981 when the press had a field day during Reagan's toast when he referred to Diana as "Princess David" or some goofy name like that...I agree it makes us Americans look very bush league.

I don't think Zonk's post was supposed to make me feel even worse about it but somehow I do!(OMG.."The Lady is a TRAMP" for QEII??!!)

If they can't get it together, I think they(American Heads of State)should give up Royal visits altogether. :sad:

ETA: The exception seems to have been JFK and Jackie. She even instructed her children to bow and curtsey to ALL their guests, Royal or not.

The Kennedy Presidency seems to be the only one in recent memory where Americans could sleep well knowing that no faux pas were being committed(socially at least)

Last edited:
Camilla's tiara is gorgeous but looks way too large for her head, imo.

...he referred to Diana as "Princess Charles"

Though technically, he was right ;)

Camilla's tiara is gorgeous but looks way too large for her head, imo.

It's always looked too big for her head and the hairstyle doesn't help.

Last edited:
His Palace of Westminster speech is certainly...interesting.

Though technically, he was right ;)

It's always looked too big for her head and the hairstyle doesn't help.

Camilla will never change her hairstyle and it is a shame because she has a nice head of hair, imo.

Reagan actually called Diana "PRINCESS DAVID" which is even worse...it would have been technically correct to call her "Princess Charles" as you pointed out.

Last edited:
His speech was fine. The band started playing before he finished, so that is why he continued speaking. And can we please not make generalizations about Americans.

Are you related to this guy? Anyway, Americans can generalize all they want about their fellow citizens.

Camilla will never change her hairstyle and it is a shame because she has a nice head of hair, imo.

Reagan actually called Diana "PRINCESS DAVID" which is even worse...it would have been technically correct to call her "Princess Charles" as you pointed out.

Yes, and then he corrected himself by saying "Princess DIANE"

:previous:
Generalisations about Americans tend to be based in truth (even just a little bit), and I say that as a proud New Yorker. Plus, it's like a joke about a family member -- you can say it but if anyone outside of the family dared to jest that family member, you would be up in arms.

His Palace of Westminster speech is certainly...interesting.

I'm not currently able to see or hear it, what has he said?

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I don't think there was much of a point for this visit, besides that Lil is rather fond of the Obama's and wanted them over for jam and tiara's. Which is totally fine with me!!! I've been wanting this state visit to take place since Obama won the election. I don't think there doing a very good job of shrugging off the "special" relationship title, as even the Queen referred to it in her speech. Faux pas or not, still loved the Speech and the ending bit. Some faux pas's turn out rather wonderful.

Funny post!:lol: You are probably right, but I also think HM wants to put paid to the ridiculous theory that the Obamas were somehow "snubbed" because they didn't get an invite to the Cambridge wedding.:bang:

So because she is a gracious, beautifully mannered woman from another era, she treats the American First Couple to a lavish State banquet and grants use of the luxurious Belgian Suite, an honor which is normally reserved for foreign Royal couples who are visiting.

All American Presidents should be "snubbed" like the Obamas were, imo.

Last edited:
Wow, after watching Obama's speech I'm a little ashamed to call him my President. First he only addressed the Prime minister and other distinguished guests half way through the speech, the proper way would have been to start; "Your majesty, your highness', Mr. Prime Minister, distinguished guests, ladies and gentleman." Then because of his not so formal approach to a very formal speech the band started playing because he proposed his toast, then kept on talking, then instead of realizing his mistake he didn't respect the British National Anthem he just kept talking. Then in the middle of the national anthem goes and tries to toast with the Queen. What a shame!

Don't be ashamed. Actually if you think about it, it isn't his fault. Whoever wrote his speech (he was reading from cards I think) didn't write it in there so blame the blasted speech writer for making that HUGE faux pas at the start of his speech. For the rest... I blame his protocol person for not briefing him properly.

Last edited:
Yes, and then he corrected himself by saying "Princess DIANE"

:previous:
Generalisations about Americans tend to be based in truth (even just a little bit), and I say that as a proud New Yorker. Plus, it's like a joke about a family member -- you can say it but if anyone outside of the family dared to jest that family member, you would be up in arms.

I'm not currently able to see or hear it, what has he said?

LOL..."corrected" himself by saying "Princess Diane?!" Good ol' Ronnie!

And wasn't this the visit where a then sixty-something year old Nancy distinguished herself by wearing knickerbockers...fashions suitable for a woman many decades younger??:eek:

Ahh...those were the days...fun times.

I agree with your post 100% about generalizations for Americans, I feel free to criticize the President and his wife but get touchy if anyone else does it.

In fact, I think the Brits and other Europeans on these Forums are incredibly gracious to allow us to come here and say some not always very nice things about their Royal families. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom