State Visit from the President of the United States: June 3-5, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, I’m aware of why it was arranged but Britain has needed America’s friendship and good will for many, many years - and that goodwill was forthcoming without the need for a state visit. President Kennedy & Harold MacMillan, Mrs Thatcher & President Reagan had excellent relationships that served both countries well without either being offered a state visit.

Secondly, if you look at it as an invitation by the Queen to the President of the USA and leave out the personalities (as we are rightly being urged to do) the President of the USA has had a state visit twice since 2000.

So while I understand the reason for it, I’m still not convinced it was necessary, even trying to take my personal feelings out of the equation.

And on the subject of personal feelings, I apologise if I offended anyone by my comments about President Trump.

Attendees at the banquet, I would be very surprised if it’s not all the working royals minus Meagan plus Prince & Princess Michael. I don’t think Meagan’s absence has anything at all to do with her personal feelings. Were it not for the fact she will be approximately one month post partum at the time I would have expected she would have been there.

I am pretty sure Meghan won’t attend because of maternity leave. The Queen wouldn’t force her to do it under those circumstances.

Otherwise, Meghan would probably have to attend and it would be awkward for her as she apparently despises Trump and Trump is probably aware of things she said in the past about him. So, all things considered, the timing seems to have been fortunate for her and for the Queen, who won’t have to make a difficult call about asking Meghan to attend ( and risking a diplomatic incident) or not.

Last edited:
Otherwise, Meghan would probably have to attend and it would be awkward for her as she apparently despises Trump and Trump is probably aware of things she said in the past about him. So, all things considered, the timing seems to have been fortunate for her and for the Queen, who won’t have to make a difficult call about asking Meghan to attend ( and risking a diplomatic incident) or not.

There will be almost 200 people at that dinner, and Meghan will not be seated next to Trump anyway.
So I don't see why it should be particularly awkward.

Now, if she doesn't feel able to make the effort to attend, that is completely understandable. But it won't surprise me if she decides to go.

Protests are being planned for this state visit? There is supposed to be an open carriage ride down the Mall? That's going to be a mess especially if the Trump Baby balloon is going to be brought back.

There's nothing wrong with protesting. It's the sign of a healthy democracy.

It's what makes the UK and America great. Try protesting in some other countries during a state visit and see what happens. You get locked up and they throw away the key, if you're lucky.

There will be almost 200 people at that dinner, and Meghan will not be seated next to Trump anyway.
So I don't see why it should be particularly awkward.

Now, if she doesn't feel able to make the effort to attend, that is completely understandable. But it won't surprise me if she decides to go.

As we have seen in behind the scene videos, the Family normally meets with the state guest privately before the procession into the dining hall . And, who knows, Harry and Meghan could have a bigger role in the state visit hosting some event or being at the first-day private lunch with the Queen and private tour of Buckingham Palace.

Protests are being planned for this state visit? There is supposed to be an open carriage ride down the Mall? That's going to be a mess especially if the Trump Baby balloon is going to be brought back.

As I said, open carriage is out of question for. a POTUS.

As we have seen in behind the scene videos, the Family normally meets with the state guest privately before the procession into the dining hall . And, who knows, Harry and Meghan could have a bigger role in the state visit hosting some event or being at the first-day private lunch with the Queen and private tour of Buckingham Palace.

And they’ll be plenty of people there behind the scenes. I don’t see Meghan’s comments as they are so bad that they can’t even stomache shaking hands and basic greetings. Her comments were rather mild. If Theresa May can be there and suck it up after Trump’s comments about her, this is nothing.

Other than the dinner, I doubt it’s be on Harry and Meghan to do much for this state visit. There are other members of the family in London and they’ve got a newborn. Especially Meghan. I think it’s a VERY slim chance the Queen would require her to attend the state dinner a month post partum, let alone hosting an event or lunch. She’s on maternity leave.

Last edited:
She hasn't been involved in any statevisit yet. Harry himself only started participating recently. I don't see a need to ask someone to attend their first state banquet while on maternity leave. She will have ample opportunities to participate in future state visits.

And they’ll be plenty of people there behind the scenes. I don’t see Meghan’s comments as they are so bad that they can’t even stomache shaking hands and basic greetings. Her comments were rather mild. If Theresa May can be there and suck it up after Trump’s comments about her, this is nothing.

Other than the dinner, I doubt it’s be on Harry and Meghan to do much for this state visit. There are other members of the family in London and they’ve got a newborn. Especially Meghan. I think it’s a VERY slim chance the Queen would require her to attend the state dinner a month post partum, let alone hosting an event or lunch. She’s on maternity leave.

Please follow the thread before commenting. I said that I am pretty sure Meghan won’t attend because she will be on maternity leave. The discussion above was in a hypothetical situation where Meghan would not be on maternity leave and then would probably be asked to take part in the state visit as a senior royal.

I believe that would be awkward for Meghan given how much she despises Trump and what she said about him in the past. Mirabel disagreed arguing they wouldn’t interact. I replied then that, in a scenario where Meghan was in attendance, they most
likely would have interacted privately in some form and that would have been awkward enough for Meghan as Trump normally holds grudges and is very vocal about it.

Last edited:
Well, Meghan is protocol-wise pretty far down the royal pecking-order.

I doubt, at any hypothetical state-visit, she would be required to say more than a few words of polite pleasantries to any visiting head of state.
And as for awkward, she might just as well get used to it, she is going to meet many other persons in her royal career, whom she may find awkward to be around.
So it would have been a: How do you do, Mr President. - What a nice weather today. - Yes, we are fine, thank you.

That's it. Protocol-wise and because he is more experienced royalty-wise, Harry would and should take over if need be and avoid the situation becoming "awkward."

- That a number of British politicians and personalities have excused themselves at this upcoming state visit is basically for domestic reasons.
The general public know who President Trump is and have formed a general opinion of him, while they have no clue who president XX from Farawaystan is - and don't care. Even if president XX is a brutal dicta... - I mean is an authoritarian father-figure who believes in ruling with a loving but firm, very firm, hand...

Much ado about nothing IMO.

The old stand by line beloved of the late QEQM [whilst staring into the middle distance]

" We shall have Fog by Teatime" would more than cover the interaction with Mr Trump required of the Duchess, were she to attend...

Please follow the thread before commenting. I said that I am pretty sure Meghan won’t attend because she will be on maternity leave. The discussion above was in a hypothetical situation where Meghan would not be on maternity leave and then would probably be asked to take part in the state visit as a senior royal.

I believe that would be awkward for Meghan given how much she despises Trump and what she said about him in the past. Mirabel disagreed arguing they wouldn’t interact. I replied then that, in a scenario where Meghan was in attendance, they most
likely would have interacted privately in some form and that would have been awkward enough for Meghan as Trump normally holds grudges and is very vocal about it.
Why would she feel awkward? She didn’t say anything wrong or bad. She said what she said, and that’s that. She has no reason to be embarrassed or awkward for what she said. And her personal feelings about him hardly means Meghan all of sudden doesn’t have good manners. How he chooses to act is his business.

Last edited:
Incidentally I was in London this morning and there appeared to be some rehearsal going on at Horse Guards Parade. Were they rehearsing for Trooping of the Colours or for President Trump's state visit ?

I was late for another engagement and only took a quick look at it while I was passing by, so any information from the local posters would be appreciated

Incidentally I was in London this morning and there appeared to be some rehearsal going on at Horse Guards Parade. Were they rehearsing for Trooping of the Colours or for President Trump's state visit ?

I was late for another engagement and only took a quick look at it while I was passing by, so any information from the local posters would be appreciated

They were rehearsing for the Trooping;
https://changing-guard.com/life-guard-schedule.html

“Rehearsal for Trooping the Colour are scheduled to take place on Horse Guards Parade on Friday 10th, Monday 13th, and Friday 17th May, these and the Brigade Majors Review on Thursday 23rd May can result in changes to the time the Queen's Life Guard change.”

I think the Queen will want everyone on deck for this state visit and almost definitely the Sussexes given Meghan's connection as an American. I can see her coming back for the state dinner portion but nothing beyond that. Its the same week as trooping which I definitely think Meg will likely take part in as well.

I am not happy about this visit at all and think its unfortunate that Harry, William, and Kate (possibly Meg) have to take part given Trump's comments about Kate and Diana.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it is highly unlikely she will attend - Royals are usually very strict and clear about their maternity leaves.

If I were the Duchess of Sussex, especially being able to have such a superb excuse after giving birth, I would not attend or not having to meet the man if I wouldn´t have to either...
And The Queen doesn´t seem to be the kind of person who would make someone to attend an event if he/ she doesn´t feel easy or comfortable with it.

Last edited:
Meghan may have to go. Remember Archie is half American and a US citizen. Trump may present a gift on behalf of the United States to congratulate the Sussexes for the birth. Even if Harry accepts on their behalf while Meghan is on maternity leave Trump would see it as a slight if Meghan is not there. The Cambridges certainly don't have an out because they are future king and queen consort. They will have to make small talk to a man who had insulted William's mother and wife.

Meghan may have to go. Remember Archie is half American and a US citizen. Trump may present a gift on behalf of the United States to congratulate the Sussexes for the birth. Even if Harry accepts on their behalf while Meghan is on maternity leave Trump would see it as a slight if Meghan is not there. The Cambridges certainly don't have an out because they are future king and queen consort. They will have to make small talk to a man who had insulted William's mother and wife.

For Meghan's sake, I hope she doe snot have to go. Showing up at your first state banquet, only a few weeks after giving birth, in your first tiara event after your wedding in a post-partum body does not sound like fun.

It will not surprise me if she does go...plenty of dresses can work with her postpartum body.

LaRae

Trump can feel whatever he wants. Fact of matter is, it'd be only about a month after she's given birth. If he has the unfortunate sense of attacking a woman because she's on maternity leave, that's his prerogative. Meghan should do whatever she feel is best for her at that point in terms of going or not.

How long do state dinners usually last? I'm assuming there is also a lot of preparation ahead of time to get read for a tiara event. It's a lot on someone after a month post partum.

Last edited:
Trump can feel whatever he wants. Fact of matter is, it'd be only about a month after she's given birth. If he has the unfortunately sense of attacking a woman because she's on maternity leave, that's his prerogative. Meghan should do whatever she feel is best for her at that point in terms of going or not.

How long do state dinners usually last? I'm assuming there is also a lot of preparation ahead of time to get read for a tiara event. It's a lot on someone after a month post partum.

I agree with you, it does not appear to be necessary for Meghan to attend as she will be on maternity leave.

I'm just going to wait and see what happens. Its a state visit from the US to the UK and I'm treating it as such without bringing personalities and likes and dislikes into it. Meghan may or may not attend but if she does, I think that would be a bonus for us royal watchers. If she doesn't, we understand the reasoning behind it is maternity leave and being a new mother.

Another tidbit is that a friend here has told me that the Queen along with President Trump will be attending the special D-Day Anniversary Event at Portsmouth on June 5th. As close as the US and the UK were during WWII as allies, this will be an event well worth following.

https://www.itv.com/news/meridian/2019-04-23/donald-trump-to-visit-portsmouth-for-d-day-anniversary/

Last edited:
I'm just going to wait and see what happens. Its a state visit from the US to the UK and I'm treating it as such without bringing personalities and likes and dislikes into it. Meghan may or may not attend but if she does, I think that would be a bonus for us royal watchers. If she doesn't, we understand the reasoning behind it is maternity leave and being a new mother.

Agreed. My point was simply that whatever Trump may feel or not feel does not factor into the decision here.

Please note that several posts have been deleted as off-topic - let's try and stick with what we do know about the State Visit rather than what we don't.

Last edited:

What...?! What did he say?

What...?! What did he say?

Less than a year after Diana's death, Trump went on Howard Stern and bragged that he could have slept with Diana, but only if she took an HIV test first. He also took to twitter (and tv) to blame Kate for the invasive photos that were taken of her in France.

Diana also told a friend that she felt Trump was stalking her (he wouldn't stop sending her flowers after her divorce from Charles).

Due to the personal nature of the comments, I wouldn't be surprised if Kate, William and Harry are uncomfortable around Trump. At the same time, the BRF have met all kinds of questionable people, so I imagine they will put aside their feelings for a moment and get on with this State visit.

I've deleted a few posts about the King of Bahrain. This thread is about Trump and his State visit, let's stay on-topic, please.

Back
Top Bottom