State Visit from the President of Indonesia: October 31-November 2, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Molly2101 said:
I thought there was a rule that the public could not see the BRF eating dinner at events such as these? Do I remember that correctly?

Well eating's one thing but watching them arrive and seeing them sit down isn't too much to ask.

No, no one expects to see the royal family and their guest eating. No camera should be able to film that.

I sorry but I don't think that it is just what HM and Charles think! When you are away from the public eye as much as they are people start to think that they can live with out them! If them all show up to less than 75 events a year then there will be a problem in the future. We are not just talking about this one event or even ten events, we are talking about putting the future king and queen on the back burner. I have gotten myself out of bed at 4am to watch events! I am not a person that wants to see this but I can understand that the less they are around the less people will care! I find myself wondering if they will ever become full time royals, I find myself giving up on them and as a American it may not mean much but as I said before if I feel this way, what do the people that hate the royal family saying! We have to look at the whole picture and for the past two years very little has been seen of them.

If the British people really felt seriously about wanting to see William and Catherine more, this would be a real issue in the country. My sense is that as of now, most people are content with the work that HM, DoE, C & C are carrying out as senior members of the BRF, just as they are content with W, H & Catherine carrying out occassional duties.

I appreciate your fervour and interest, long may it last. If you choose to give up on them, that is an entirely personal decision you are completely within your rights to make, but I doubt many within the BRF or the British public would care too deeply about.

Has anyone seen pictures from the guildhall banquet last night? I couldn't find any.

Compared to other family the BRF are closed off technologically to the world.

The BRF most certainly are not 'closed off technologically'. God forbid these people should desire a modicum of privacy on their wedding day. I feel for the European royals whose every move during what's essentially a family occasion is broadcast live for the world to see. They must find their wedding day to be an exhausting trial since they can't relax at any stage, their behaviour is monitored and debated and they must be petrified the whole day that the world will see them doing something embarrassing.

The BRF has the perfect balance. They share the ceremony, the parade back to BP, the balcony appearance, the flypast, their wedding portraits, and then they're able to enjoy their own personal celebration with their family and friends in the evening.

State visits are not on the radar of 99% of the British public. There's no clamour to see who Princess Anne's sitting next to or whatever. The important bits are photographed and filmed and then the guests can relax and enjoy the evening without cameras pointing at them.

One final word on W & K. W has a very high public approval rating, even higher than HM. K's rating is well above 70%. They're just back from a major, exhausting overseas tour. They've done Trooping, the Diamond Jubilee, the Olympics, the Garter and Thistle services, Remembrance Sunday, Sandringham at Christmas etc. I sense no public discontent with them. When W leaves SAR, probably in 2013, we'll see them much more often.

The RAF, and by definition the taxpayer, has invested a lot of money in training William. In return, he owes them the 30 months he signed up for at least.

Last edited:
I think the BRF have the balance right - some public shows and some private times - far better than the European royals who allow the public into every event - it seems to me that they lack confidence in their ability to say 'no' to the public and simply no idea of keeping some times private.

If the British people really felt seriously about wanting to see William and Catherine more, this would be a real issue in the country. My sense is that as of now, most people are content with the work that HM, DoE, C & C are carrying out as senior members of the BRF, just as they are content with W, H & Catherine carrying out occassional duties.

I appreciate your fervour and interest, long may it last. If you choose to give up on them, that is an entirely personal decision you are completely within your rights to make, but I doubt many within the BRF or the British public would care too deeply about.

The only reason I want to respond about this any longer is due to the fact no one seems to understand me! A STATE VISIT is an impoant event in my book and I think that the a future king and queen should be there period! It not about clothes, hairstyles or jewerly. Sorry that me thinking that but it is the way I feel. I don't hate anyone or will I ever stop keeping up to date on what is going on with the BRF! I just feel that at this point William and Kate should be there for the big events of the year! Hate on me all you want, say I am to wrapped up in the royals lives, call me cold or what ever but I don't think me saying this is a bad thing! I guess that if I do not agree with others then I am wrong but remember if you think I am to wrapped up with royals you must be also other wise you would not be reading this post!

Last edited:
Will is probably working, or on call, and can't leave Wales. If he was bumming around in London, then of course I'd be upset. But he has a job, one which does not keep regular 9-5 hours. He's taken plenty of time off this year for internationally significant events.

Given Prince Philip's health scares, I really doubt Will will sign up for another contract of service. Sometime next year his commitment is due to expire, and he and Kate will become full-time royals. After that I'll expect them at every state dinner. But right now Will's commitments keep them away.

If the Queen is happy for Camilla (the wife of the heir to the throne) and the 2nd in line and his wife then that is that.

Looking at the popular press the State Visit hardly rates a mention so I would imagine that most people really don't care about it, possibly don't even know it is happening or really understand what they are all about, which is mostly the leader of Indonesia having talks with the PM and other government ministers and business people while the monarch gets to make the usual platidinous speech of no real meaning or value while the important stuff is taking place in Downing Street or elsewhere.

If you really want to see the important stuff then the cameras should be where the important discussions are taking place not showing some people getting dressed up in fancy clothes, emphasising the gulf between the haves and the have-nots, while making meaningless speeches.

I think the BRF have the balance right - some public shows and some private times - far better than the European royals who allow the public into every event - it seems to me that they lack confidence in their ability to say 'no' to the public and simply no idea of keeping some times private.

Iluvbertie, you managed to make my point so much better than I did, despite your post being only 3 lines long. God did not endow me with brevity.

I just can't imagine that the Scandinavian royals can possibly enjoy their wedding day. It's supposed to be the happiest day of your life, yet they spend all of it performing for the masses. The parents of Prince Daniel or Princess Mary must have found that particularly trying having no previous experience of it.

W&K have plenty of time for state visits. The current President of Indonesia is unlikely to be in office by the time William is PoW, let alone monarch. Plus, I can only assume that when they do start to attend, it would likely spell the end of the appearances of the Kents, Gloucesters etc. at such events.

I don't think William and Kate's appearances at State Visits will signify the end of the appearances of the Gloucesters and Kents - who will cease attending due to age in the next 20 years of so (the Duke of Kent is 77 and Princess Alexandra about to turn 76).

Time will see the Gloucesters and Kents stop attending due to age and death but they won't be just stopped.

What I see happening is that Beatrice and Eugenie won't be replacing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom