State Visit from the President of India: October 27-29, 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could she be a member of the Mountbatten family?

No. I think if one member of the Mountbatten-family would have attended the state visit, then it would have been Patricia, the Countess Mountbatten of Burma. Another possibility would have been Lady Pamela Hicks or Penny Romsey. But none of these three woman looks like the woman in the picture (well, Pamela a little bit, but she's much older than the woman in the pic). :flowers:

The Lady in pink next to David Milliband is Diana, Lady Farnham; one of The Queen's Ladies in Waiting. They are certainly allowed to wear their tiaras, as they will do for the oncoming State Opening of Parliament as well.

Would any of the wives of peers wear tiaras to state banquets like this one?
This is the type of event when anyone who owns one wears it, (not the gents though).:flowers:

British pomp and pageantry reigned yesterday as the Queen welcomed an Indian president to Britain for the first time in almost 20 years.

In the historic town of Windsor the two heads of state met, with the Royal Family putting on a display that left many in the visiting retinue breathless.
After travelling through the streets of the Royal Borough, which had been bedecked with the flags of India and the Union flag, in the Australian state coach, the party arrived in the quadrangle at Windsor Castle

Read more: All the Queen's horses turn up the pomp for visit of Indian president to Windsor Castle | Mail Online

:previous:
Beautiful pictures from last night. I love the setting of Windsor for a state banquet. :flowers:

As a matter of fact, the lady in blue reminds me of the Duchess of Gloucester, could it be her? Similar profiles, similar hairstyle, tiara, and we know Birgitte was present too. And the sitting arrangements would fit as well; it’d make sense to sit the Duchess of Gloucester between the Prime Minister and the Leader of Opposition.

I suppose it could be; she has been growing her hair longer in recent years.

No, its definitely not the Duchess of Gloucester.

I am sure Warren or Marsel will know who this is:ROFLMAO:

Bit of a let down, photo wise, this state visit. Hopefully more will start appearing. What else is on the itinerary for the state visit?

No, its definitely not the Duchess of Gloucester.

I am sure Warren or Marsel will know who this is:ROFLMAO:

Sorry Zonk, we'll have to rely on Warren to indentify this lady. :D
Duchess of Gloucester was my best guess, although I admit the features aren't quite right.

I can speculate with the known facts a bit though: since she is seated after Gordon and Sarah Brown but before David and Sam Cameron, and in very close proximity to the Royal Family, I'd say she's either a high-profile member of the Labour party or wife of one (or a noblewoman / member of the extended BRF).
Of high profile female Labour members, I can only think of Margaret Beckett, Harriet Harman and Tessa Jowell. The woman is definitely not Beckett but she could be Harman (same hair colour and profile) or Jowell (similar profile, slightly different hair colour).

Of wives of high-profile Labour members, that could be either Louise Shackelton - David Miliband's wife (unlikely, since Miliband was seated next to Prince Charles so presumably, his wife would be somewhere there as well) or Alice Perkins - Jack Straw's wife (much more likely, because the man on her right resembles Jack Straw quite a lot). I don't see much resemblance to either of them though; besides, Alice Perkins is Companion of the Order of the Bath and would most probably wear the Companion's badge for the event (which the lady in blue clearly doesn't).

The lady is definitely not spouse to any of the non-Royal Dukes though, that I can guarantee.

Last edited:
I really wish the Guildhall banquet was attended by other Royals and not always the Gloucesters. I don't find them interesting and wish they didn't dominate this event. I would rather see the Wessexes and Kents but really it would be better if all the Royals took a turn as it's always so boringly predictable that the Gloucesters will be going.

The Gloucesters do get hauled out a lot for foreign visits don't they - but I think their contribution is so often overlooked. Birgitte does know how to wear her rocks as well - but then she does have one of the best tiara collections in the business.

Yeah Birgitte does have quite the collection of jewels.
I rather like seeing state visits at Windsor Castle. It's such a beautiful place! :castle2:
I hope the Queen does it more often. I should think it's easier for security too instead of in the middle of London.

I agree, I think state visits at Windsor should become a regular thing.
Even though it would be nice to see the royals rotate for the Guildhall banquet, I just adore the Duchess of G and her jewels. She had one of the best collections in the royal family and that tiara is on of my favorites! Mind you though, has the Duke always looked like that?

How has this banquet been dominated by the Gloucesters?

The visit IMO has been dominated by the two people: the Queen and the President of India.

We only have pictures of the Gloucesters at the banquet, and frankly I am glad to see a picture or two. They are two hardworking and often not appreciated members of the BRF (as are ALL the Kents).

I would agree that this appears to be low key state visit. This might offend people, but although the President of India is more important (in the scheme of things) than the First Lady of France. Youth and fashion will always shine a little more. Doesn't make it right....just the way it is.

On another note, the exhibits of the Natural History Museum look quite interesting. Must make a note to try visit if I ever get to England!

I would agree that this appears to be low key state visit. This might offend people, but although the President of India is more important (in the scheme of things) than the First Lady of France. Youth and fashion will always shine a little more. Doesn't make it right....just the way it is.

Can't agree more. The french state visit had a rather hyterical coverage for some obvious reasons, allowing, for us and our pleasure, far much more material than this one (or the mexican one in Buck House lately by the way). I don't think the event was particulary "low key", as the state visits are based on the same scheme, but the interest from the medias and the public, for sure, was not particulary high.

In this picture, the Duke seems to have put on some weight; but perhaps it's just the way that he's angled to the camera. He also looks a wee fit disheveled--as though he's been out in a stiff breeze and hasn't had a chance to comb his hair. I've noticed that he's aged a fair bit in the last few years.

Mind you though, has the Duke always looked like that?

I dont think anyone means that the Gloucesters have overshadowed this state visit, but that they always seem to do the Guildhall Banquet. It would be nice if that duty rotated between them, the Kents, and the Wessex's. But I agree, I think the DoG's are a great asset and hugley unappreciated. What is the history behind the Guildhall Banquet? Is that the Lord Mayor of London hosting it?

The Duke seems to have "let himself go" slightly. But it could just be the camera's. Shame though, since his wife is still an elegant beauty.

Wow, now THATs what I call a State Banquet! Really lovely to see all the pomp and pagentry. The Queen looked great in all the shots, I love them holding the event at Windsor Castle as well, its truly a place royal historical signifigance. God save the Queen.

The Duke and Duchess look wonderful, the Duchess' jewels are fantastic. :flowers:

THE Queen is in a bubbly mood as she joins Prince Charles for champers at a state banquet.
So she should, if she can't enjoy a state banquet then whats the point of them :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Britain's Queen Elizabeth II (L) hands a ceremonial relay baton to India's President Pratibha Patil during the the launch of the XIX Commonwealth Games Queen's Baton Relay for Delhi 2010, at Buckingham Palace in London, on October 29, 2009. Queen Elizabeth II and Indian President Pratibha Patil started the build-up to the 2010 Commonwealth Games in New Delhi as they launched the baton relay Thursday at Buckingham Palace. British and Indian sports stars carried the baton through central London on the start of its journey to the Indian capital.

Picture Gallery ** GettyImages gallery
ANP

I'd like to say a big thank you to everybody who's posted photos, links and articles on this thread.

I was really looking forward to this visit and have been appalled by the complete lack of coverage by the media. The BBC briefly mentioned the visit today but even then it was only because they were taling about the Commonwealth flame changeover.

This visit was far more important (imo) than the French state visit yet then we were constantly bombarded with hysterical news bulletins and articles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom