State Visit from the President of France: March 26-27, 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Carla is very elegant. But i think high heels would look better.

I think Carla looks elegant and simple. I understand why she doesn't wear heels she would be taller than probably everyone but maybe a little heel wouldn't be too bad on her.

So this rather over-publicized state visit has finally begun…
The President’s wife might be ‘channeling’ Jackie Kennedy a bit here but take a closer look and you’ll see that her outfit actually doesn’t have that much to do with the iconic ‘Jackie look’; No Jackie suit but a coat with matching dress, not a Jackie color, no pillbox hat but a modified small beret. Very elegant and appropriate. Looking at Sarkozy’s (lack of) height I can understand why she’s wearing flat shoes.
IMO Camilla’s hat is just silly, not funny. I don’t care for those leopard accessories either. The embroidered lapels of the sack-like coat don’t match anything but her stockings do, unfortunately… I don’t have a clue why she elects to appear with mud-colored legs.

I though both ladies looked beautiful. I understand why Carla choose the flat shoes but I can’t help but think the whole outfit would of been more elegant with heels, however like I said I still think she look beautiful. As for Camilla, I found her outfit to be wonderful unique, just like the Duchess herself and I love the colour of her hair at the moment; I think it really fits with her complexion.

I have to say, I don't particularly care for the outfits of either Camilla or the Queen.

I just think Camillas outfit does not fit her well, style or size, and the Queen looks a bit like a piece of wicker furniture.

I hate to agree regarding the Queen's outfit. She has been great in her choice of daytime wear over the past few years, but this outfit is a bit of a miss.
The hat is over-decorated, the oversized buttons aren't elegant at all and the coat's fabric doesn't appear to be the finest... most of her recent outfits have been vastly superior.

Have to agree about Her Majesty's hat--it has too much going on. Not her usual style at all.
Mrs. Sarkozy looks absolutely beautiful--heels would have been better, but she still looked fantastic.
HRH The Duchess of Corwall--always beautiful, always elegant but that outfit is not my favorite.

The Duchess of Cornwall is wearing her Christmas Day outfit from 2006. Madame Sarkozy looks elegant, sophisticated, and every inch a First Lady. I am sure this visit will go off seamlessly and show everyone both of them as a team get it, and know how to respond appropriately.

I..am excited about tonight!!!!! The dresses, tiaras, and the dress Madame Sarkozy will be wearing will be the most anticipated since Camilla herself married Charles almost three years ago!!!!!!!

We just recently have seen that outfit on the Queen....was it Christmas?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry to be the lone voice but I think Carla's outfit is awful, it has no shape and does not flatter her figure at all.

The Mail calls Carla Bruni's look "demure" but I think it's dowdy. Something a former governess would wear, but not a former top-model. She could have opted for an elegant navy blue suit and that would have looked great. But grey? :ermm:
That's the goal: "forget my past, just see me as the new first lady". We can expect for tonight an equal sober outfit. Elegant indeed, but just a little bit too "spring 1962 collection"...

Madame Sarkozy was stunning: simple, elegant, and chic. This is what I call true French sense of style.:wub: Although Her Majesty looked somewhat good, neither style nor colour is my favourite. I like colour of Duchess’ of Cornwall outfit (deep chocolate brown), but I am not keen on animal print (leopard) that does not match well with lace embellishment on the collar.

Last edited:
The Mail calls Carla Bruni's look "demure" but I think it's dowdy. Something a former governess would wear, but not a former top-model. She could have opted for an elegant navy blue suit and that would have looked great. But grey? :ermm:
I am inclined to agree Nico’s opinion (see post #135). Given the negative publicity surrounding this visit, Madame Sarkozy strives to convey a diametrically opposite image. She is not a wild supermodel anymore, but the First Lady of the French Republic. That is why I am not surprised to see neutral colours and simple lines in Madame Sarkozy’s outfit. As for gray colour, I believe it is a matter of personal preferences.

Camilla's wearing that "tribal" atrocity, Mrs Sarkozy is dressed to play the mother nun in Madeline and the Queen doesn't seem terribly happy to be entertaining this entourage...polite but over it. Who could blame her!

Last edited:
Mrs Sarkozy is dressed to play the mother nun in Madeline
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: - I really like the idea: a pupil from a cloister school as French First Lady. Oh, sorry: The First lady of France posing as a pupil fresh from a nunnery education...

Last edited:
I have to admit ... I 'm pleasantly surprised about Carla's outfit. Clearly she understands her role and how she needs to appear not only in public -- but with whom she is appearing. She is classically dressed and doesn't upstage the Queen. The reason she is wearing flats is obvious -- she would tower over everyone else -- especially her husband.

I can't wait to see wht she wears to the dinner!;)

Have to agree about Her Majesty's hat--it has too much going on. Not her usual style at all.
Mrs. Sarkozy looks absolutely beautiful--heels would have been better, but she still looked fantastic.
HRH The Duchess of Corwall--always beautiful, always elegant but that outfit is not my favorite.
I'm afraid I have to agree with of some of the sentiments echoed today - both the Queen and Camilla's clothes don't really do them justice. Camilla's suit is okay, though I am no fan of the leopard print. The embellishments on the lapels are nice though. The hat is just awful, and does not suit her at all - a shame as she is usually so elegantly dressed. I do wish she stuck to the traditional, slightly larger hats, she usually wears and stops experimenting with this beret style which really does her no favours. It would be great to see what all the ladies are wearing this evening - and hope that Camilla puts up a good show!

Last edited:
I think I must be the only one who likes Camilla's camp clobber. I think it's fab. I think she can carry off leopard print without looking like a drag queen and that's rare. I just love the hat too. I think it says glam.

Lovely outfits for Carla and Camilla, I enjoy the pictures very much !

I think Carla looks very nice and tasteful. She reminds me of Audrey Hepburn a little bit. And she was aware of her being very tall so she chose shoes without heels- more comfortable anyway.

I think I must be the only one who likes Camilla's camp clobber. I think it's fab. I think she can carry off leopard print without looking like a drag queen and that's rare. I just love the hat too. I think it says glam.
No you're not, I think she looks wonderful too :flowers:

Well, I'm truely amazed that Carla knows how to pull her hair away from her face!!!!
She is still wearing a dark drab color, but at least she looks like a proper 1st lady.
Good for her! It's about time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom