State Visit from the President of China: October 20-23, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the DM-
"He was noticeably absent from the state visit of the then-Chinese president Hu Jintao in 2005, and was reported to have boycotted a banquet during a 1999 state visit to Britain by Hu’s predecessor, Jiang Zemin.

However, it is understood that he will put aside his old enmity by joining the Queen and Prince Philip in receiving this month’s Chinese delegation at the Horse Guards Parade and attending the arrival lunch at Buckingham Palace.

He is also likely to receive Chinese officials at Clarence House, but is not expected to attend the state banquet at Buckingham Palace to be held in honour of the president. Clarence House declined to comment."

How Prince Charles snubbed the Dalai Lama to please China-
How Prince Charles snubbed the Dalai Lama to please China | Daily Mail Online

With Camilla not attending this year does that mean that Anne will be seated at the top table and not Catherine if she attends? I am right in thinking that Anne is higher than Catherine if Camilla is not present? .

Did they confirm that Camilla is not attending?

I posted a video that showed that Anne was treated as ranking higher than Edward.

William may be higher in the line of succession than Anne but that does not mean he will automatically sit at the head of the table.

The Queen and her staff decides who sits where and who accompanies who.

What will qualify Catherine to sit next to the leader of the second largest economy?
Is she or her husband next in line? No.
Does she speak Chinese? No.
Does she have enough experience at State Banquets to sit next to a Head of State? We will have to wait and see whether The Queen thinks she does or doesn't.

Last edited:
I think you are giving William way too much credit.

Malia Obama has been on a campaign to save the tiger since she was a little girl. When her father was elected one of the first things he mentioned was Malia asking him to save the tigers from extinction.

Tigers are top issue for Obama (Malia, that is) - today > news - White House - TODAY.com

Now that is something I didn't know. I like learning something new everyday if possible. :D

The reason I do believe that William did have quite a bit to do with it is because he met with Obama for United for Wildlife on his last US visit and it was also brought up and talked about at William's trip to China earlier this year.

The most pertinent thing though with this upcoming state dinner, with William and the Chinese president already on talking terms on matters of conservation and with the United for Wildlife documentary that is to air in China sometimes this month, it just sounds logical to me that William and Kate would attend this state dinner.

I doubt we will see the Cambridges during the State Visit. Participating in a State Visit seems to me to be a step towards assuming a more "full time" royal role, which the Cambridges do not seem to be eager to do at present. .

Totally agree.

When they are full time working royals they will participate in a State Visit.

The Queen, including herself, has 14 royals that regularly attend these banquets. They are not short of royals, so there is not need for W&K.

IIRC, Camilla's first State Banquet was for Norway.
W&K's first State Banquet will be similar. A European country with a monarchy, probably Sweden or Denmark.

Last edited:
Did they confirm that Camilla is not attending?

I posted a video that showed that Anne was treated as ranking higher than Edward.

William may be higher in the line of succession than Anne but that does not mean he will automatically sit at the head of the table.

The Queen and her staff decides who sits where and who accompanies who.

What will qualify Catherine to sit next to the leader of the second largest economy?
Is she or her husband next in line? No.
Does she speak Chinese? No.
Does she have enough experience at State Banquets to sit next to a Head of State? We will have to wait and see whether The Queen thinks she does or doesn't.

Don't underestimate the Cambridge's position. William is the second in line to the throne and that makes Catherine third lady in the land next to the Queen and Camilla. They are senior royals no matter what. Camilla don't speak Chinese either. Attending State Banquets aren't rocket science. You dress up, shake hands and mingle, listen to two speeches, eat and go home. Anyone can do it and Catherine can do it.

Don't underestimate the Cambridge's position. William is the second in line to the throne and that makes Catherine third lady in the land next to the Queen and Camilla. They are senior royals no matter what. Camilla don't speak Chinese either. Attending State Banquets aren't rocket science. You dress up, shake hands and mingle, listen to two speeches, eat and go home. Anyone can do it and Catherine can do it.

Do not overestimate their position.

Anne and Margaret were placed higher than Edward in 1991. So Anne could easily be place higher than William and Catherine in 2015.

If I am not mistaken this is a formal dinner and they follow the rules of a formal dinner.

They spend half the meal taking to the person on their right and the second half talking to the person on their left.

Camilla has decades of experience in social gatherings and at formal dinners. Camilla is well read and has multiple interests and experience.

As a debutante, Camilla was trained for formal dinner parties. She has more than 50 years on Catherine and maybe even 60 years.

Anne has 50-60 years. Catherine 3.

Out of all the British royals whether they be senior, junior, full time or part time, there is really only one that has something on the table (to discuss and not a finger bowl or a shrimp fork) and that is William.

William's recent visit to China was a state visit representing the Queen. He was the most senior royal to visit China in 30 years at the time and if I remember right, the visit was very successful. It just makes sense that if William participated in a state visit, he would be the most logical choice to reciprocate the hospitality when the Chinese visit the UK.

Nosing around, I found this statement. "The Duke of Cambridge personally gave President Xi the Queen's handwritten invitation to visit Britain - known as a manu regia - when he traveled to Beijing in March."

My money is still on William being there and seated withing talking distance of the President of China. They already know each other and won't have trouble finding things to talk about.

Prince William meets Chinese President Xi Jinping - BBC News

Last edited:
My money is still on William being there and seated withing talking distance of the President of China.

I agree with you as usual, I think they will be present.

If William and Kate are present at the state banquet, then I think he'll sit next to Peng Liyuan and she (Kate) will sit next to Xi Jinping (I don't call him President, for in my and many others eyes he is a brutal dictator who is even worse than his predecessor.)

Last edited:
I agree. I think William will be there and most likely accompanied by Kate. Let's also remember the hint KP tweeted .

Do not overestimate their position.

Anne and Margaret were placed higher than Edward in 1991. So Anne could easily be place higher than William and Catherine in 2015.

If I am not mistaken this is a formal dinner and they follow the rules of a formal dinner.

They spend half the meal taking to the person on their right and the second half talking to the person on their left.

Camilla has decades of experience in social gatherings and at formal dinners. Camilla is well read and has multiple interests and experience.

As a debutante, Camilla was trained for formal dinner parties. She has more than 50 years on Catherine and maybe even 60 years.

Anne has 50-60 years. Catherine 3.

Trust when I say, the Cambridge's can handle attending a State Banquet, Queen Camilla. You only gain experience in attending these kind of events by actually attending them. Not by staying away from them.

I don't overestimate their position. William and Catherine are senior members of the royal family. That's a fact! William is the heir of the Prince of Wales, second in line to the throne. Catherine is the consort to the Prince of Wales's heir and third senior royal lady of the land next to Her Majesty and the Duchess of Cornwall. That's not overestimating their positions, just facts.

Precedence at state functions is joint. William will be the second highest ranking male after the Duke of Edinburgh. Catherine takes William's precedence.

If C&C don't attend and W&K do attend, the Cambridges will be the second couple after the Queen and Prince Philip.

Catherine at least has a bachelor's degree, whereas Camilla didn't even graduate from the UK equivalent to high school. BTW, Anne didn't go to university either.

Overall, however, we don't see any of the Windsors going through the same kind of intensive preparation for a Chinese state visit as the one we saw here on TRF with Philippe and Mathilde, or Willem-Alexander and Maxima.

William's recent visit to China was a state visit representing the Queen. He was the most senior royal to visit China in 30 years at the time and if I remember right, the visit was very successful. It just makes sense that if William participated in a state visit, he would be the most logical choice to reciprocate the hospitality when the Chinese visit the UK.

Prince William meets Chinese President Xi Jinping - BBC News

That's what I think too.
The Cambridges, if I recall, were invited to visit China, so I think the Chinese delegation will expect to see them, and may even be offended if they don't.

Precedence at state functions is joint. William will be the second highest ranking male after the Duke of Edinburgh. Catherine takes William's precedence.

If C&C don't attend and W&K do attend, the Cambridges will be the second couple after the Queen and Prince Philip.

Exactly, and as I said in my previous post ''If they are present at the state banquet, William will sit next to Peng Liyuan and Kate will sit next to Xi Jinping.''

Catherine at least has a bachelor's degree, whereas Camilla didn't even graduate from the UK equivalent to high school. BTW, Anne didn't go to university either.

Off topic but graduating from university gives you zero kudos in the Royal world in my opinion. How will Catherine's degree help her in potentially talking to a Chinese Minster for trade perhaps?

How will Catherine's degree help her in potentially talking to a Chinese Minster for trade perhaps?

Not one IOTA.. it is affablity, hospitality and charm that count, and she has those skills in spades, as does Camilla..

In the same way Camilla's lack of formal education does. They're just talking, not signing treaties. Catherine has chatted with Presidents and Prime Minsters, Kings and Queens. I'm sure she will handle the Chinese trade minster.

As far as I know Camilla has no expertise in Chinese trade relations with Britain.

In the same way Camilla's lack of formal education does. They're just talking, not signing treaties. Catherine has chatted with Presidents and Prime Minsters, Kings and Queens. I'm sure she will handle the Chinese trade minster.

As far as I know Camilla has no expertise in Chinese trade relations with Britain.

I was joking, my point was exactly what you've repeated. They're on equal footing. A degree makes no difference.

Off topic but graduating from university gives you zero kudos in the Royal world in my opinion. How will Catherine's degree help her in potentially talking to a Chinese Minster for trade perhaps?

A degree in Art History can actually be very useful for a royal consort.

When Queen Mathilde for example was preparing for her recent state visit to China, I remember reading on TRF that her preparation included learning about Chinese art and history. Catherine may have taken a class on oriental art for example as part of her Art History degree, which would come in handy in a meeting with the Chinese president. Moreover, she may have taken History at A-Level to prepare for university studies and have some prior knowledge then of Chinese history.

In any case, a university education, irrespective of your major area of study, opens your mind and provides general analytical and verbal skills that are useful in many circumstances, including social events.

A degree in Art History can actually be very useful for a royal consort.

When Queen Mathilde for example was preparing for her recent state visit to China, I remember reading on TRF that her preparation included learning about Chinese art and history. Catherine may have taken a class on oriental art for example as part of her Art History degree, which would come in handy in a meeting with the Chinese president. Moreover, she may have taken History at A-Level to prepare for university studies and have some prior knowledge then of Chinese history.

In any case, a university education, irrespective of your major area of study, opens your mind and provides general analytical and verbal skills that are useful in many circumstances, including social events.

So given the fact the Queen has no university degree and, in fact, never even went to school I wonder how she has managed to string two words together with a visiting head of state these past 63 years. Maybe she should just skip all state visits and just leave them to Kate with her degree in Art History.

BTW, when did Chinese history become high on the syllabus of the UK education system?

So given the fact the Queen has no university degree and, in fact, never even went to school I wonder how she has managed to string two words together with a visiting head of state these past 63 years. Maybe she should just skip all state visits and just leave them to Kate with her degree in Art History.

BTW, when did Chinese history become high on the syllabus of the UK education system?
Having a use of a degree doesn't mean NOT having a degree is bad. I mean...Just because someone said that having a art history degree can help with cultural smalltalk (which it can!) doesn't mean it's needed or that she will get better. Saying one thing is good doesn't exclude all other things from being good. Just that she might have some use of it, that's it!

Contemporary Chinese history (19th and 20th centuries) is an option available in the A-Level History syllabus in the UK. And Oriental Art is a topic available to 3rd and 4th year students at St. Andrew's. I am not saying Catherine took any of those courses, but she might have. Besides, even if she didn't, she would benefit as I said from the general analytical and verbal skills provided by formal education.

On your second argument, it is indeed surprising that Queen Elizabeth II lacks a university education when reigning queens who were older than she, such as Queen Juliana for example, had a university degree. However, Queen Elizabeth II did receive a lot of private tutoring, including in topics such as history, languages (French) and constitutional law. Furthermore, she has a lot of practical experience in her long reign.

Camilla on the other hand lacks both formal education and that kind of experience of training. In fact, it is surprising that a future princess consort of the United Kingdom, in this day and age, doesn't even hold a school leaving certificate that would make her eligible to apply to a university. To be fair though, Diana was similarly unqualified.

Last edited:
Having a use of a degree doesn't mean NOT having a degree is bad. I mean...Just because someone said that having a art history degree can help with cultural smalltalk (which it can!) doesn't mean it's needed or that she will get better. Saying one thing is good doesn't exclude all other things from being good. Just that she might have some use of it, that's it!

agreed. With Kate's background in Art History, she could potentially have something to speak about with the First Lady, or whomever. Just as easily, knowing she'll be involved in the State Visit, she can google things or read a book or anything.

No one is saying that Kate is somehow miles ahead of anyone else (from what I've read), simply that she does have a degree that potentially could give her some background for a conversation.

There's no need for people to twist words, it's just petty, imo.

I do wish it was the end of the month already, so we can get this visit over with and stop speculating! lol

If and when the Cambridges do attend the Chinese state banquet, I can pretty much guarantee that there will be one topic of conversation directed at Kate and that is how are the children? One thing that will have stood out in the President Xi's and his wife's minds is the fact that Kate didn't accompany William on his state visit to China because she was getting close to the birth of her second child.

Maybe Kate will regale the guests with the story about George on hearing that his daddy was in China ran over to the china cabinet and opened it looking for Daddy. That should get a few chuckles. :D

Didn't Wills and the Chinese President end up talking about football during their meeting? Kate could end up talking Downton Abbey with the Chinese visitors. It isn't going to be heavy political conversations.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I was simply making the point (somewhat sarcastically I acknowledge) that a university degree or even a formal education is not necessary to be a successful hostess - as the Queen and her mother have proved for decades. All that is necessary are good manners and an ability to make small talk.

I don't agree that Camilla is untrained or unqualified to be a hostess. She has years of experience of hosting or being a guest at regimental dinners and has been hostess for the Prince of Wales for many, many years, both before and after her marriage. She has had exposure to people from all walks of life and many different backgrounds both through her former marriage and her current one. Among the many criticisms she receives I don't think I have ever seen her criticised for being a bad hostess.

The Royals have access to a wide circle of experts. If Camilla, Kate or anyone else is to be seated next to a high ranking official of any country it is a simple enough exercise for them to request a briefing paper on the country or interests of the person they are going to be meeting.

I still don't understand how having a degree or not having one makes any difference when attending a state banquet. Life itself gives you enough experience in "social situations".

With Camilla not attending this year does that mean that Anne will be seated at the top table and not Catherine if she attends? I am right in thinking that Anne is higher than Catherine if Camilla is not present? I know Sophie at the at the top table earlier this year as neither Anne nor Camilla were present, although Edward was not at the top.

Has it been confirmed that Camilla is not attending, or is it yet more speculation?

I still don't understand how having a degree or not having one makes any difference when attending a state banquet. Life itself gives you enough experience in "social situations".

It simply depends. As a human being, you should almost always have something to discuss with the person sitting next to you. We all can google ahead of time to find something to discuss, but you can also bring knowledge you learned when getting your degree.

For example, I would have to do extensive googling & studying before sitting down next to someone of the Chinese delegation. obviously, I might find something boring to talk about without googling/studying. But, if I was sat next to someone of a German delegation, then I can bring not only my personal experience, but things I learned while working towards my degree.

Having a degree can aid someone, but it is not necessary to holding a conversation. But if Kate has studied Chinese art, then that could help her hold a discussion, at least a conversation starter. That's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom