State Visit from the King of Saudi Arabia: October 30-November 2, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just one question which just occured to me, Did His Majesty have on any Orders and Decorations, it so hard to tell with that outfit he had on (for want of a better word).

Also it was interesting that The Queen referred to him as King Abdullah, Custodian of the two Holy Mosques, very formal, and unusual, she normally just says Your Majesty. Its a bit like him getting up and saying Queen Elizabeth II, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of her other realms and territories Queen, Head of The Commonwealth, Defender of The Faith. Now that would be a mouthful, but your get my idea:ohmy:

ITN has another video.
ITN - Headline News

ITN - Campaigners criticise Saudi king's visit

Thanks for the update from Abaca, Nico. We can see in Picture 7, clearly enough in the background:
Princess Alexandra, The Hon. Lady Ogilvy
HRH The Duke of Kent
HRH The Princess Royal and Vice Admiral Laurence
TRH Prince and Princess Michael of Kent

You can't see the Gloucesters well or clearly at all but I believe it is them you can barely see behind Princess Alexandra....

Last edited:
That is a good shot of the Duchess. I think we must have good pics of her tomorrow. This banquet is the occasion of her RFO debut and also the first time she has worn the honeycomb tiara, I think. It will be nice to have Some news from the State visit besides the King's sparking controversy about terrorism and the protestors about the Saudis' human rights policy. It is called diplomacy for a reason. This is one reason the royal family is so useful. Where the politicians are at loggerheads, the royal family can use their pageantry and fine entertainments to pave the way toward peaceful and mature discussions.

If i remember well The Duchess wore the honeycomb tiara during the brasilian state visit last year...but i could be wrong.

The Duchess of Cornwall wore the honeycomb tiara for the first time on March 7, 2006 during the Brazilian State Visit to the UK. It's nice to see it making an appearance again.

-Ayvee

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com
Evidently the King's visit is causing a stir in GB.
I am wondering what that gal Jane was saying, I couldn't understand much of it!

HM's red coat and hat looked very nice on her, BTW.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just one question which just occured to me, Did His Majesty have on any Orders and Decorations, it so hard to tell with that outfit he had on (for want of a better word).

Also it was interesting that The Queen referred to him as King Abdullah, Custodian of the two Holy Mosques, very formal, and unusual, she normally just says Your Majesty. Its a bit like him getting up and saying Queen Elizabeth II, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of her other realms and territories Queen, Head of The Commonwealth, Defender of The Faith. Now that would be a mouthful, but your get my idea:ohmy:

I believe the king don't wears any dedorations, and about the Queen referring to him as the custodian of the two Holy Mosques, it is the name every one calling him by even in unformal occasions, but it seems the king surname (the Custodian of the two Holy Mosques ) in English longer than it is in arabic if you understand me.

I have chances to get several HQs, and they are quite good. However, there are still no pictures of the Duchess of Cornwall in those agencies yet. Well, so far, i think it has broken the long boundaries that the Queen and the Duchess of Cornwall do not have good relationship but now the State Banquet could prove the idea is wrong. Hopefully there would be some clearer footage as i could not see anything from the video provided.

I understand, a little, the machinations of diplomacy, and the need for co-operation between these two countries, or at least, the need for the West to remain on good terms with Saudi Arabia, with oil, as ever being the bottom line. Yet again, I'm impressed with Her Majesty's dignity and sense of duty. She draws immediate comparisons between her own constitutional monarchical role and the tolerance of countries like England which permits protests and criticisms of her, her family and her government and the dictatorial, intolerant and brutal regime of Saudi Arabia.

Whereas The Queen obliges her government in all things, I dislike seeing her in the company of such rulers. I understand that the visit was difficult and problematic to arrange and very nearly didn't eventuate. I, for one, wished that it hadn't.

Dear Polly, Thank you for your accurate analysis of this situation. They also accept large gifts from these people, too.

Good show on Camilla getting the Family Order. I think she works really well to support the work of the Royal family. they've needed someone like that for a long time.

I am so happy to see that Camilla received the Family Order! I was wondering when it would happen, and I looked at the picture and there it was! Well done, Your Majesty!

Camilla would have received it at one time or another...it was inevitable :)

It is rather a complex situation.

I understand, a little, the machinations of diplomacy, and the need for co-operation between these two countries, or at least, the need for the West to remain on good terms with Saudi Arabia, with oil, as ever being the bottom line. Yet again, I'm impressed with Her Majesty's dignity and sense of duty. She draws immediate comparisons between her own constitutional monarchical role and the tolerance of countries like England which permits protests and criticisms of her, her family and her government and the dictatorial, intolerant and brutal regime of Saudi Arabia.

Whereas The Queen obliges her government in all things, I dislike seeing her in the company of such rulers. I understand that the visit was difficult and problematic to arrange and very nearly didn't eventuate. I, for one, wished that it hadn't.

I think that the government has much to answer. Didn't the PM say recently that they'd have nothing to do with dictators? Or did he just mean dictators who had nothing which his government wanted or valued? To be fair, I guess, it was the last PM who organised this visit, but it brings no credit to either, in my opinion.

Although Her Majesty was not representing Australia, she is this country's Head of State too, and I'm more than uncomfortable with this visit. As a member of Amnesty International and two church organisations which work hard on behalf of the dispossessed, oppressed, tortured and murdered, everwhere, I deeply resent it.
The Saudi King is an absolute ruler of the country. So he does whatever necessary to protect the current regime. The UK and other stable European nations have their ways to manage countries, whereas the countries of the Persian Gulf have their approaches. At the same time, it is fair to presume that some European monarchs did accept gifts from dictators.

Last edited:
A visit long overdue, IMO. Saudi Arabia has been a good friend to the UK! Although there were not 1000's to greet the king, there were only a handful of demonstrators, I think we are all sick to death of hearing how other countries should deal with their criminals. Until this country get's it's own house in order and deals with the violent muggers and terroism that goes on every night on Britains streets, we have to wonder who has the correct approach! :cool:
milla Ca said:
Very good news that Camilla wears the Family Order now! She looks great with the eye catching tiara!:flowers:
But the most cute thing is the pic in the D.... Mail where you can see Charles and Camilla sitting in the car holding hands.
How sweet is that!:wub:
It was wonderful to see Camilla showing The Queens affection toward her, with the wearing of the Family Order. The picture in the Dirty Mail of Charles and Camilla holding hands is ahhhhhh! :wub:

I think he colours his beard and moustache, it looks unnaturally black for someone his age, not attractive at all.

Why does he not bring one of his wives, I assume he has several, is there not a wife number 1?

Camilla looked wonderful it obvious that she is in the right place or I would say the right order .

I think he colours his beard and moustache, it looks unnaturally black for someone his age, not attractive at all.

Why does he not bring one of his wives, I assume he has several, is there not a wife number 1?

I agree with you about the color of his beard and moustache it is look like what my father moustache look after coloring it, it is not good at all.

about his wives it seems he have one wive and she is not princess and all his children who are known by the public from her this what I hear from my relative who lives in saudi arabia.

I wouldn't say that Camilla looked dazziling but very spohisticated. It was about time anyway that she would recieve a family order. And the Queen was the dazziling at the banquet.

British Prime Minister Gordon Brown (L) greets King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia as he visits 10 Downing Street, London, 31 October 2007. King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia met British Prime Minister Gordon Brown on Wednesday to discuss Middle East issues and counter-terrorism, amid a swirl of protests

ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall on their way from Clarence House to Buckingham Place to attend the State Banquet for King Abdullah
30th October

Fotobanka isifa image service

:)wub::wub:)

Thanks milla Ca. The pic is really wonderful. Once again Charles is showing how tenderly and needily for love he is. Some years ago nobody could believe it.

QUENTIN LETTS: The Queen could not have looked more delighted to greet the old despot | the Daily Mail
according to this article the king has been married 30 times. It does not say whether that is one wife at a time or every few years a new bunch of wives

Abdullah of Saudi Arabia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
.......Abdullah has had over thirty wives during his lifetime, among them Tardi Al-Jorba, Hessa Al Shaalan, Aida, Anud, Malika, and al-Jauhara. ,,,,,,,,,

Secretive ruler treasured and tolerated by western allies | Special reports | Guardian Unlimited
.....Like his age and wealth, details of the king's personal life are also hazy. He is thought to have more than 30 wives and at least 25 children......

Camilla looked wonderful it obvious that she is in the right place or I would say the right order .

I agree with you about the color of his beard and moustache it is look like what my father moustache look after coloring it, it is not good at all.

about his wives it seems he have one wive and she is not princess and all his children who are known by the public from her this what I hear from my relative who lives in saudi arabia.

Last edited:

I have never seen the Saudi Royal Family "showcasing" their females in public.

Last edited:
QUENTIN LETTS: The Queen could not have looked more delighted to greet the old despot | the Daily Mail

according to this article the king has been married 30 times. It does not say whether that is one wife at a time or every few years a new bunch of wives

Abdullah of Saudi Arabia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

.......Abdullah has had over thirty wives during his lifetime, among them Tardi Al-Jorba, Hessa Al Shaalan, Aida, Anud, Malika, and al-Jauhara. ,,,,,,,,,

Interesting infromation although I don't think Wikipedia is a good resource for true infromation , personally I know that Tadi not tardi Al-Jorba is his first wife and she is from arabian tribe which is also the same tribe that his mother from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom