State Visit from The King and Queen of The Netherlands: October 23-24, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wbenson

Former Moderator
City
-
Country
United States
14xfdax.png
https://www.royal.uk/state-visit-king-and-queen-netherlands

Their Majesties The King and Queen of the Netherlands have accepted an invitation from The Queen to pay a State Visit to the United Kingdom from 23rd to 24th October 2018.

The King and Queen of the Netherlands will stay at Buckingham Palace.

Last edited:
This would have been Meghan's first big tiara event but I think she'll be in Australia then. Pity.

A very short state visit!

I can't wait to see Máxima slay the jewellery game...

Incoming British State Visit are the Crème de la crème ,but it seems to be a 2 day State Visit but regardless I am really looking forward to this one!

Does that mean that they will leave on the evening of the second day, so that there can be no Guildhall banquet? That's a great pity. But the State Banquet will be very glittering, and with such high profile guests the news coverage will be excellent.

This is marvelous news!! After the Spanish State Visit last year and the longing for an incoming Royal State Visit, this State Visit from the Dutch counterparts has finally come!! I am extremely over the moon with the news!!

So, SO chuffed at this news, and will certainly go and cheer their Majesties.
But why just two days ?

Very quick visit....Guessing Kate and William will attend. A shame Harry/Meghan out of the country at the time.

LaRae

Great to hear, but why so short?

The King will be getting the Garter.

14xfdax.png
https://www.royal.uk/state-visit-king-and-queen-netherlands

Their Majesties The King and Queen of the Netherlands have accepted an invitation from The Queen to pay a State Visit to the United Kingdom from 23rd to 24th October 2018.

The King and Queen of the Netherlands will stay at Buckingham Palace.

I am surprised to hear the news about this unexpected state visit. Personally, I think a Belgian state visit would have been more urgent (considering that the last one was in the 1960s), but I guess that was a political decision of the British government.

I am surprised to hear the news about this unexpected state visit. Personally, I think a Belgian state visit would have been more urgent (considering that the last one was in the 1960s), but I guess that was a political decision of the British government.

I think the Belgian state visit will be coming soon, hopefully next year?

Last edited:
An unexpected visit. But I am glad that the Kings of Holland can make this state visit. When is the state visit from Belgium to the UK?

This promises to be one major bling of a visit! I cannot wait! Max always wears major bling, as does QEII. Yippee!

Will the Duchess of Cornwall and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge receive Dutch orders ?

Not totally unexpected that the UK will offer a state visit to a major European economy!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Royals Community mobile app

Actually, by GDP size, the Netherlands must be only the fifth largest continental economy after Germany, France, Italy and Spain. However, the British seem to have this ( in my opinion mistaken) perception that they can lure the Dutch to be on their side in the Brexit negotiations.

Last edited:
A rather surprising visit. A state visit at this point seems utterly useless, a waste of money & a complete charade. The visit is scheduled 4 days after the October European counsel, which supposedly will see an agreement of the EU and the UK about whatever it is the British want for their future. For now all hard decisions have been postponed.If the meeting has been successful it may be a nice way of emphasizing the future. If not, the phrases will sound even more hollow than usual.

During the king's reign these state visits are usually accompanied by economic missions. I am not sure if that will be the case here as there is a lot of uncertainty about our future relations. The only thing we know is that they will be more distant than they are now.

Anyway, it is a nice surprise to see a visit during this reign. A pity the duke and duchess of Sussex will not be around but there will be more than enough jewels to look forward to. The Stuart diamond will perhaps finally see the light of day again.

The Dutch orders are a mess, so it is difficult to predict what orders the duke and duchess of Cambridge will be receiving. The Duchess of Cornwall did not wear a Dutch order during the inauguration either, but I am sure she will receive one now. Neither the king nor the queen have any British orders.

Last edited:
perception

It is YOUR perception that is mistaken.. The Dutch King can no more influence the Brexit process than HMQ can..They are Constitutional Monarchs, so it is their Governments 'that make the running' in Political matters..
This is the first State Visit to Britain for the new King of the Netherlands, just as the visit here of the Kings of Spain was for Felipe iv..

It is YOUR perception that is mistaken.. The Dutch King can no more influence the Brexit process than HMQ can..They are Constitutional Monarchs, so it is their Governments 'that make the running' in Political matters..
This is the first State Visit to Britain for the new King of the Netherlands, just as the visit here of the Kings of Spain was for Felipe iv..

You seem to overlook that members of the government and business delegations are often also part of state visits. If the British government had no political interest in that visit, the King of the Netherlands would not have been invited .

Looking very much forward to this State Visit!!

So much to the one poster who seriously claimed there wouldn´t be any further state visits in the next perhaps 20 years because the british state had to save money and a future King Charles III would be too old to hold state visits....

Didn´t believe it anyway....

Yes that short duration of 2 days is rather odd. There won´t even be time for a return event, always a diplomatic gesture of greatefulness of the state visitor!

Last edited:
often also part of state visits.

I'm perfectly aware of that.. but since NEITHER the Minister for exiting the EU, or any member of his team NOR M. Barnier [the EU's chief negotiator] form a part of any State visit delegation, this matter has no bearing on the outcome of the negotiations, which will [in any case] be completed before the visit takes place...

Yes, and seemingly ignorant as well, as the journalist probably knows very well that the Sussexes will be in Sydney on that date.

Yes, and seemingly ignorant as well, as the journalist probably knows very well that the Sussexes will be in Sydney on that date.
Designed to purposely draw in clicks and comments.:ermm:

Back
Top Bottom