State Visit from The King and Queen of The Netherlands: October 23-24, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just a guess but I’d say yes. I know it’s only two days but the two countries are traditionally very close. We’ll know in a few hours or so.

Nice surprise to see Sophie heavily involved! Excited about that.

But sadly no Guildhall Banquet.

But sadly no Guildhall Banquet.

Yes, but that was clear when they announced it was only a 2 day visit.:bang:
What a missed opportunity! Unfortunately not comparable to the last one in Nov. 1982....:ermm: with a state banquet at BP, the return banquet at Hampton Court and the Guildall event....!

And remember that it will take decades again for anoter dutch state visit to te UK!

Are there still any return events in te UK at all? Can´t remember Felipe and Letizia hosting one for the Queen. have they possibly axed it because it would be too much for the Queen of the UK in 2 days in a row?!

Reading this year´s visit´s programme I get the impression that the 1982-visit was more a ceremonial one, wile this seems to be very matter-of-fact!

Last edited:
Yes, but that was clear when they announced it was only a 2 day visit.:bang:
What a missed opportunity! Unfortunately not comparable to the last one in Nov. 1982....:ermm: with a state banquet at BP, the return banquet at Hampton Court and the Guildall event....!

And remember that it will take decades again for anoter dutch state visit to te UK!

But they arrive 1 day earlier despite the short distance so they could also stay 1 night longer and leave a day later so having the Visit ending the Guildhall Banquet.

In any case there would have not been 3 white tie Events as the return Evetns the dutch King and Queen host on their State Visits are usually a conert or something like this.

But they arrive 1 day earlier despite the short distance so they could also stay 1 night longer and leave a day later so having the Visit ending the Guildhall Banquet.

In any case there would have not been 3 white tie Events as the return Evetns the dutch King and Queen host on their State Visits are usually a conert or something like this.

Yes, I know that. That´s the difference between the old days and a development that started all over the place alas with the new millenium. But there isn´t even a concert...!
I used to think that the return event was an obligation as a diplomatic gesture to the host to say your "Thank Yous"....?!
Even when the Princess of Wales was still alive and shortly afterwards there were return events/ banquets held at the visiting countrie´s embassy or at "Claridge´s" or "Dorchester"-Hotels!

To your remark that the royal couple stayed actually 3 days because they´s arrive 1 day earlier I presume that the visit actually officially starts only when they are welcomed by the brit. Queen and not before.

Last edited:
Yes, I know that. That´s the difference between the old days and a development that started all over the place alas with the new millenium. But there isn´t even a concert...!
I used to think that the return event was an obligation as a diplomatic gesture to the host to say your "Thank Yous"....?!

But a State Visits to the Uk there is almost never an Return Event as on the second evening there is the Guildhall Banquet and the State Visits ends on the 3 day.

But a State Visits to the Uk there is almost never an Return Event as on the second evening there is the Guildhall Banquet and the State Visits ends on the 3 day.

That is what I stated myself before in my post - I just wonder why!
I think even at purely republican state visits there is some sort of return event where the guest invites the host.

May be some british poster can help? When did the british stop doing return events at their state visits and what is the reason (perhaps as I assumed before, the age of the current Sovereign who would be obliged, as hostess of the receiving country, to attend?!)?
But I guess a 100% secured answer could only be given by the brit. foreign office...?

Last edited:
I think we have to take the very advanced age of the Queen and the Duke in consideration. The reason for these short visits will lie in there.

It makes no sense for visitors to organize a return event while the host herself will remain.absent.

Last edited:
Its sad we won't have a chance to see another evening of fantastic jewels but I'm sure Maxima &QE2 will more than make up for it during the state banquet.

When you look at the programme is seems similar to most, after day 2 most other state visits include a visit out of London, e.g. the Spanish King & Queen visited Oxford, the President of Ireland visited Oxford, Stratford-Upon-Avon & Coventry. It appears the Dutch King & Queen are keeping to the "core" two days of events.

Last edited:
Looking forward to the Visit to Westminster Abbey and the State Banquet at Buckingham Palace.

As the Duchess of Cornwall and Countess of Wessex are involved in the program perhaps they might a Dutch order?

I think we have to take the very advanced age of the Queen and the Duke in consideration. The reason for these short visits will lie in there.

It makes no sense for visitors to organize a return event while the host herself will remain.absent.

The Queen doesn't have to take part in most events of the program other than the official reception, lunch at the Palace and the state banquet. There are enough members of the RF (the PoW, the DoC, and others) to host the visiting Head of State and his wife. It surprises me that they went for a short two-day visit, which seems like a sign of the cooling relationship between the UK and the continent. That is inevitable BTW given the acriminous Brexit negotiations.

Last edited:
ohhh... :(

this seems like a watered down state visit, when compared to the one by felipe and letizia recently. such a shame. i would have expected to have 2 evenings and 2 banquets, which would have been such a treat. this one feels a bit more rushed unfortunately. well at least we know maxima will bring all her bling with her (and i hope the british ladies do so too) :) who will be invited to the state dinner at BP from the royals? are we likely to see the young generation (cambridges and sussexes)?

i guess the king and queen are staying at the dutch ambassador's residence?

Sussexes will be on tour so they will not be attending. The Cambridges not listed but they will likely be at the dinner. I can't see why they wouldn't be and would be surprised if not.

I'm pleasantly surprised with the inclusion of Pop Brixton on the State Visit. I really enjoyed M&H's visit there early this year. I'm glad they are getting so much royal love in a short period of time. It'd be a treat to see the vibrancy of the artists and MegaWatt Max.

Sussexes will be on tour so they will not be attending. The Cambridges not listed but they will likely be at the dinner. I can't see why they wouldn't be and would be surprised if not.

Considering that the Cambridges are not included in the program, does that reduce their likelihood of getting orders ? I suspect that King Willem-Alexander, unlike King Felipe, will take into consideration the person's rank within the RF, rather than involvement in the state visit program, to decide who gets new orders. What do the Dutch posters think ?

Considering that the Cambridges are not included in the program, does that reduce their likelihood of getting orders ? I suspect that King Willem-Alexander, unlike King Felipe, will take into consideration the person's rank within the RF, rather than involvement in the state visit program, to decide who gets new orders. What do the Dutch posters think ?

I'm sure they'll be at the State Dinner. There is no break down of the guest list for that one.

It has the feel of an after-thought of a state visit and likely acknowledges the fact that it's essentially pointless; two powerless heads of state who can have no affect whatsoever on the relationships between the two countries. There's no real value here for the British taxpayer.
The vast majority of the press will pay little attention to it as Harry and Meghan will be on their first overseas tour together. I envisage the bog standard for the banquet and the media coverage.

Last edited by a moderator:
The vast majority of the press will pay little attention to it as Harry and Meghan will be on their first overseas tour together. I envisage the bog standard for the banquet and the media coverage.

I'm sure the coverage can take a two day break from the tour and cover the State Visit properly. They are leaving for the tour on the 14th, I believe. It's quite a bit into it by that point. Besides, Max will bring the bling. That always gets some nice attention.

Last edited:
Can’t wait for the State Visit to get underway. I’m sure the Cambridge’s will be at the State Banquet. The Dutch are more generous with their royal orders than the British.

Not sure why the Wessexes are getting such a prominent role. The Cambridge’s are on hand now.

But I do agree that I don't find it strange, foreign orders are handed out at State Visits quite "willingly" whereas British ones to British royal aren't.

But isn't that the strange thing. Handing them out to foreigners so willingly without acknowledging the fontribution of your own who did way more for your country than your visitors will ever do.

Can’t wait for the State Visit to get underway. I’m sure the Cambridge’s will be at the State Banquet. The Dutch are more generous with their royal orders than the British.

Not sure why the Wessexes are getting such a prominent role. The Cambridge’s are on hand now.

I wonder if its because they kind of know them better? The Wessexes always seem to sent to Royal weddings etc plus they are also nearer in age.

That is what I stated myself before in my post - I just wonder why!
I think even at purely republican state visits there is some sort of return event where the guest invites the host.

May be some british poster can help? When did the british stop doing return events at their state visits and what is the reason (perhaps as I assumed before, the age of the current Sovereign who would be obliged, as hostess of the receiving country, to attend?!)?
But I guess a 100% secured answer could only be given by the brit. foreign office...?

State visits to the UK vary between 2 - 4 days (or have since 1997). I am currently doing a very detailed analysis of the online CC since 1997 - won't be ready for some time yet and I have read a number of years and noticed differences in time allocated for State Visits. There seems to have been a steady reduction in the time over the past decade but even so three days have been the norm although there were 2 day visits in the 90s but there were also 4 day visits back then.

If two European monarchies can not arrange a proper state visit anymore why on earth bother having them at all? Perhaps the whole thing was rushed and this poor excuse for a state visit was the result? How disappointingly shabby this is.

The hollow phrases in the text of the Dutch royal website seem even more hollow than usual. The speeches will be absolutely atrocious.

Last edited:
I think the last return State Dinner was hosted by President Obama. The British have watered down their incoming State Visits. Now everything is just business.

Well the visit seems to be making headlines already...

Dutch king bemoans Brexit before UK state visit
King Willem-Alexander tells of worries about trade and says he is backing Michel Barnier

It has been condemned by experts and divided the country. Now Brexit has been officially given the royal seal of disapproval – albeit by a Dutch monarch from his palace in The Hague.

Ahead of the first state visit by a Dutch royal to the UK in almost 40 years, King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands has told of his regret and fears over Britain’s decision to leave the EU.

It might not be an intervention that will convince leave voters that Brussels is not a project of the elite for the elite, but the king, speaking to British journalists at Noordeinde Palace in The Hague, said he expected to see an impact on trade between the two nations.

He also warned that despite his love of the British sense of humour, Monty Python, and the witty best man speeches he had heard at weddings in the UK’s most exclusive country estates, his royal household was squarely behind Michel Barnier, as the EU’s chief negotiator prepares to engage in the final months of debate with Downing Street over the future trading relationship and the Irish border.

Willem-Alexander, who cannot be quoted directly under the protocols of the Dutch royal household, said he had yet to see any evidence of success by the British government in its attempts to go over the head of the EU negotiator to get a better deal from member states.

The bastion of Barnier had yet to be breached, he told reporters in his palace’s Putti room, in which the walls are decorated by wingless angels and the fireplace is gilded in gold.

Willem-Alexander also insisted he admired Britain’s liberal attitude – and its airports, Inverness and Belfast in particular. The king until recently co-piloted commercial KLM flights twice a month, often to the UK.

He was speaking as Buckingham Palace confirmed that the king and his wife, Queen Máxima, would make a state visit to Britain on 23 and 24 October, as the two countries seek to build ties in preparation for Brexit.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...xander-bemoans-brexit-ahead-of-uk-state-visit

I think the last return State Dinner was hosted by President Obama. The British have watered down their incoming State Visits. Now everything is just business.

I wonder if that is due to Brexit, maybe this new government of PM "get on with the job" May feels longer state visits are too frivolous at a time of uncertainty. Anywhos, let's be glad at the recent trend for UK - European monarch state visits.

Well the visit seems to be making headlines already...

Dutch king bemoans Brexit before UK state visit
King Willem-Alexander tells of worries about trade and says he is backing Michel Barnier

It has been condemned by experts and divided the country. Now Brexit has been officially given the royal seal of disapproval – albeit by a Dutch monarch from his palace in The Hague.

Ahead of the first state visit by a Dutch royal to the UK in almost 40 years, King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands has told of his regret and fears over Britain’s decision to leave the EU.

It might not be an intervention that will convince leave voters that Brussels is not a project of the elite for the elite, but the king, speaking to British journalists at Noordeinde Palace in The Hague, said he expected to see an impact on trade between the two nations.

He also warned that despite his love of the British sense of humour, Monty Python, and the witty best man speeches he had heard at weddings in the UK’s most exclusive country estates, his royal household was squarely behind Michel Barnier, as the EU’s chief negotiator prepares to engage in the final months of debate with Downing Street over the future trading relationship and the Irish border.

Willem-Alexander, who cannot be quoted directly under the protocols of the Dutch royal household, said he had yet to see any evidence of success by the British government in its attempts to go over the head of the EU negotiator to get a better deal from member states.

The bastion of Barnier had yet to be breached, he told reporters in his palace’s Putti room, in which the walls are decorated by wingless angels and the fireplace is gilded in gold.

Willem-Alexander also insisted he admired Britain’s liberal attitude – and its airports, Inverness and Belfast in particular. The king until recently co-piloted commercial KLM flights twice a month, often to the UK.

He was speaking as Buckingham Palace confirmed that the king and his wife, Queen Máxima, would make a state visit to Britain on 23 and 24 October, as the two countries seek to build ties in preparation for Brexit.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...xander-bemoans-brexit-ahead-of-uk-state-visit

It is very inappropriate for a monarch to express political opinions (in that case, foreign policy opinions actually) in such an overt manner. Especially when he is about to make a state visit to the UK.

Back
Top Bottom