State Visit from The King and Queen of The Netherlands: October 23-24, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
re Catherine's RFO - Thank god we can put that ongoing debate to rest!!

I was a bit surprised to see Mabel to close to the top in the procession, behind Charles but ahead of Camilla and Catherine but I guess as a guest she is given a place before them.

Yes, she´s regarded here as a member of the house of the principle guest here. That´s why.

strange, these pics look like taken from a screen. So it must have been live covered soemewhere...!

Last edited by a moderator:
agreed, it is the small sapphire tiara

Indeed it is, well spotted Stefan. The round brooch that she is wearing on her belt was worn by Queen Beatrix during WA's inauguration. I forgot the provenance of the brooch TBH.
-
Queen Elizabeth II seems to be wearing two of the Cullingham diamonds?

No new Dutch orders for anybody it seems? That is somewhat unexpected as they usually hand out many of them, even to courtiers.

Last edited:
Indeed it is, well spotted Stefan. The round brooch that she is wearing on her belt was worn by Queen beatrix during WA's inauguration.

-
Queen Elizabeth II seems to be wearing two of the Cullingham diamonds?

Yes granny Chips broosh which she also wore for the Thanksgiving Service at the Diamond Jubilee.

So, King Willem-Alexander didn't give out any Dutch order after receiving the Garter from Queen Elizabeth II ? That looks odd.

Well, my guess is, if we had a different order policy from the british side, The Queen giving out a high order to the visiting Queen (consort), like it is being done in all other monarchies I can recall, William, Catherine and Camilla would have been given a dutch order as well (and Charles having been received an "upgrade" of his dutch order).
Queen Beatrix did so because Prince Claus, her late husband, was given a british order!

It´s what I say since years: This "special" treatment of Elizabeth II concerning orders leads to the fact that virtually none british royal lady can ever receive a foreign order (unless they´d become Queen themselves after their husband´s accession...)

Last edited:
Any sign of the Princess Royal, and the Countess of Wessex this evening ?

Well, my guess is, if we had a different order policy from the british side, The Queen giving out a high order to the visiting Queen (consort), like it is being done in all other monarchies I can recall, William, Catherine and Camilla would have been given a dutch order as well (and Charles having been received an "upgrade" of his dutch order).
Queen Beatrix did so because Prince Claus, her late husband, was given a british order!

I would expect the Prince of Wales to receive the grand cross of the Order of the Netherlands Lion as it was given to CP Frederik of Denmark, whose rank is the same as the PoW's.

In fact, both Frederik and Mary got the Netherlands Lion while Joachim and Marie got the Order of the Crown.

I would expect the Prince of Wales to receive the grand cross of the Order of the Netherlands Lion as it was given to CP Frederik of Denmark, whose rank is the same as the PoW's.

But the difference is that from Denmark Queen Máxima got the Order of the Elephant the highest danish Order and not nothing like in the UK.
Giving the Netherlands Lion to an Heir and his spouse was an exception which has never been done before and after.

Loved the photos of the visit so far - unfortunately, something came up in my schedule last minute meaning that I wouldn't have been able to get a glimpse today or tomorrow - though the photos and videos are just as good ?
It seems that, despite visits from "lesser" countries often attract less media attention, WA and Maxima still had an arrival that was fit for a king and queen - it was great seeing them mixing in with the BRF. I heard somewhere that HM is friends with the now Princess Beatrix outside of royal circles, though other than that bar state visits I don't think they get the chance to mix in with the DRF at all (the BRF don't mix in with the continental royals much in general though). It was wonderful to see the Gloucesters and Kents enjoying the events with the rest of the family as well. That was a nice surprise for me!

In fact, both Frederik and Mary got the Netherlands Lion while Joachim and Marie got the Order of the Crown.

Yes, but as I explained, the danish Queen gives out the most prestigious order of the Elephant also to royal spouses, even to CPcesses (Mette Marit received her "Elephant" even without a state visit), and even president´s wives (well, they only get the Dannebrog order, which is not that high ranking), while the british Queen gives out only an order to the visiting head of state and to royal MALE spouses, which, these days, is absolutely discriminating and should be changed right away like they did with ivory based orders...

these days, is absolutely discriminating and should be changed right away

HMQ is [justifiably] 'old school' and not subject to the ever changing vagaries of 'Political Correctness'...

No Duke of York?

He may still be overseas. He has been in the UAE for the last week or so (not doing engagements every day but he has done one on one day and two on another three or four days later).

He may still be overseas. He has been in the UAE for the last week or so (not doing engagements every day but he has done one on one day and two on another three or four days later).

Thanks. I just read that he is still in the UAE.

Back
Top Bottom