State Visit from the King and Queen of Spain: July 12-14, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So why did they not wear the sashes of if? Or did they get a lower grade without sash.

Maybe they were made commanders.
However, the whole awards issue has been rather nebulous during this trip. Isn't there always some sort of an announcement beforehand? Also, the Spanish are rather generous with their awards, not generous as the Dutch, but not "stingy" (for lack of a better word) as BRF.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
A question:

Do BRF members ever sit in the overflow at state dinners? I know staff members of both countries do, and the usual assortment of Ladies-in-waiting and equerries and such, but I always wondered if some minor royals get placed there.

Give her a break ! The girl is having two back to back tiara dinners in two days, which is more than most women could handle.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic so if you are, disregard the rest of this post!

Let's not make this visit into more than it really is. Most women can and do handle much more in their daily lives than Letizia will ever have to do on her worst day. She's had one longish day and one day where she's apparently taken the afternoon off. She has tonight, tomorrow and then goes home. She's got a ton of people behind the scenes who will help her in any way she requires, every moment of this trip will have been explained to her in advance, she doesn't need to worry about child care or finances, she barely even needs to speak! Her job is to get dressed in appropriate clothing, show up, try and look interested in what her hosts are showing her, eat the food that's been prepared for her and pose for pictures.

I would give the tons of people behind the scenes who have worked their you know whats off to make this visit a success a break. I would give Felipe, who has been conscientious and who had the responsibility of speaking to the British government on behalf of his country a break. I would give the two ninety plus year olds who always act as impeccable hosts a break. Interesting, though, that none of them have needed to be given a break!

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic so if you are, disregard the rest of this post!

Yes, I was being sarcastic, but, nonetheless, as I wrote in another forum, I think some posters are being too harsh on Letizia. It was not such a huge blunder as some are saying it was.

Frankly, I think the whole order thing with Felipe decorating Harry, Andrew and Anne, and not decorating William, Kate and Camilla, and the British royals not wearing their new Spanish insignia in full at the banquet is way more serious. I think it verges on a diplomatic incident actually. Am I overreacting ?

Last edited:
a great advocate of all things Spanish.

Who can underestimate the charm of an extremely elegant,personable young woman, FLUENT family member [to boot] working her magic upon the assembled honoured guests...
HMQ doesn't 'miss a trick'..

Frankly, I think the whole order thing with Felipe condecorating Harry, Andrew and Anne, and not decorating William, Kate and Camilla, and the British royals not wearing their new Spanish insignia in full at the banquet is way more serious. I think it verges on a diplomatic incident actually. Am I overreacting ?

Considering the protocol and substantive officers of both the Foreign Office and the Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores and Royal households of both countries consulted each other for months over these things, i'd say yes to the overreacting. :D

Who can underestimate the charm of an extremely elegant,personable young woman, FLUENT family member [to boot] working her magic upon the assembled honoured guests...
HMQ doesn't 'miss a trick'..

I just clued into Gabriella's Spanish connection today after reading of it here and then looking around a bit.. She wrote a blog for the Spanish Hello! along the lines of the one Tamara Beckwith had for the British version. I would bet that Ella knew some members of the visiting Spanish court personally.

Is the Princess Royal wearing two star badges or are my eyes deceiving me?

Wow Anne looks lovely!

LaRae

Is there a live link to the banquet/speeches? The spanish royal court youtube as been pretty good for most other events but i can't see one for this?

Last edited:
A question:

Do BRF members ever sit in the overflow at state dinners? I know staff members of both countries do, and the usual assortment of Ladies-in-waiting and equerries and such, but I always wondered if some minor royals get placed there.

I wouldn't imagine so. I know the household are kept in the overflow so they can fill in for guests who don't turn up as a stop gap.

Last edited:
QL looks amazing. floral diamond tiara was probably obvious choice due to this grand sapphire earrings. BTW they were worn before only once by Queen Sofia at first day celebrations of Thailand's King jubilee (with blue gown and prussian tiara)

Yep, the Festoon tiara on Anne, floral on the Queen. Really thought this state visit was best chance of seeing Anne's double meander if she really does have it!

Anne looks great tonight! I'm a big fan of The Princess Royal - a lady of substance and, when the occasion calls for it, style.

according to richard palmer, Prince Harry, Andrew and Princess Anne received the Order of Isabel the Catholic for their involvement in the Spanish state visit.

interesting that other members didn't receive orders and that, rather than precedence, it is about 'how involved you are in the state visit' (most of us, for example, would have expected william to receive an order before harry and it didn't appear to be the case).

whoa on the blue gown of letizia tonight! i like the simplicity, and most importantly, those gorgeous earrings. i wonder where they come from, they are stunning. tiara-wise... boring! (i was expecting a heavier tiara for tonight too, rather than her stater floral tiara).

I'm also pretty convinced Richard Palmer reads the Royal Forums - look at the comment about the real professional Royal Watchers (that's us lol)

haha! where did he write this? who knows, maybe he even posts here!

For me at least, it was Charlene of Monaco who set the standard for how a Royal/Princely consort should dress when visiting Westminster Abbey a few months ago. She looked amazing and perfect, even though it was a low key visit.

I wish I could find the photo!:whistling:

indeed she did! charlene looked impeccable and she 'only' visited the outside area of westminster i believe, where the south african memorial is. here is the picture!

How disappointing, albeit predictable ! She could have brought the Mellerio Shell at least. I wonder if she is having trouble borrowing certain pieces, but that wouldn't make sense as she doesn't own the Floral either.

EDIT: The earrings are nice though.

The Queen of Spain has to borrow a tiara?!? Are these personal belongings of Qu Sophia ? Yesterdays Fleur-de-Lys tiara was in the spanish royal family before Sophia married JC, so it couldn´t be of her personal possession.

By the way, I´m very happy the current Queen doesn´t wear the Shell tiara tonight which I find quite an ugly piece of jewellery...:whistling:

Back
Top Bottom