State Visit from the King and Queen of Spain: July 12-14, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i enjoyed seeing the video and the interactions of the greeting at the hotel with charles and camilla. there seems to be a minor breach of protocol initially: when felipe was greeting charles, letizia, instead of waiting to greet charles first goes behind felipe to greet camilla. camilla gets confused but nonchalantly laughs away the situation and letizia goes back to her spot and greets charles so that camilla can green felipe.

after an informal curtsy by camilla, the ladies welcome each other and letizia seems to exclaim '2011!' - i guess meaning the last time they got to see each other, and then a 'you look amazing!'. letizia's informal (non speech) english seems to have more of an accent than when she pronounces speeches. the z in amazing sounded more like an s, a common mispronounciation for spanish speakers.

after, letizia seems to want to join the conversation of felipe and charles but then turns back to camilla and asks her 'so how's everything?', and they re-engage in conversation.

happy to see we got confirmation of william and harry, and presumably kate, attending tonight's banquet.

That's a very nice video indeed, and what a warm welcome from both sides !
2011 is the year of the official visit of C&C to Spain, but the couples met again (at least offcially) for the Dutch enthronement ceremony back in 2013.

That's a very nice video indeed, and what a warm welcome from both sides !
2011 is the year of the official visit of C&C to Spain, but the couples met again (at least offcially) for the Dutch enthronement ceremony back in 2013.

What a feeble curtsy by Camilla though . Very disappointing !

On Letizia's accent, it is well known that the Spanish language doesn't have a sound like the English 'z'. Spanish speakers make that "mistake" not only in English, but also in other European languages, including close languages like Portuguese which, nonetheless, has a 'z' sound unlike Spanish.

Last edited:

Yeah sure ...
She's a 70 years old woman with back problems, you can't expect her to reach the floor.

Yeah sure ...
She's a 70 years old woman with back problems, you can't expect her to reach the floor.

She does when she curtsies to her mother in law, doesn't she ?

If our national tv broadcaster TVE got it right, Felipe has been awarded the Order of the Garter.

Did Prince Charles bow to King Felipe when they met? I missed the greeting.

I don't know the reason, but that has always been the DoE's role on state visits. Look at this old footage of King Baudouin's visit to the UK in 1963 : he is accompanied by Prince Philip while inspecting the guard of honor.
wartenberg7 in post 409, me in post 413 and wbenson in post 417 have come op with some reasons.

More from today:
When they were to get out of the carriages, Felipe asked the Queen if he was to go first. I'm also amazed by (again) the way she (this very fit 91 year old, but with back/knee problems) get out of this carriages.

People can see this in one of the two videos I posted in post 416 - lula has now edited her post and posted the same viseo in post 415.

He does but in an informal way, like Camilla's curtsying. Protocol wasnt strict anyway since Letizia continued with the greeting and went to Camilla instead of waiting for Charles to finish with Felipe.

If our national tv broadcaster TVE got it right, Felipe has been awarded the Order of the Garter.

Better than his father, who only got the Royal Victorian Chain on his 1986 state visit to the UK.

I still find it disappointing though that Camilla is not getting any Spanish order, especially considering that, as it has been mentioned here, Máxima got one when she was still engaged to the Prince of Orange !

He does but in an informal way, like Camilla's curtsying. Protocol wasnt strict anyway since Letizia continued with the greeting and went to Camilla instead of waiting for Charles to finish with Felipe.

Charles is not alone on that practice though. I noticed Frederik didn't bow either to King Willem-Alexander or King Philippe.

Last edited:
Yes he did! Se it in the first of these video.

Videos from ITN with better quality than the YouTube videos:

Prince Charles and Camilla have greeted King Felipe and Queen Letizia at their hotel this morning before heading off to Horse Guards Parade for a ceremonial welcome by the Queen and Prince Philip:
Home - ITNSource News

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh have formally welcomed the King of Spain to the UK with a military spectacle full of pomp and pageantry. Britain's head of state and Philip warmly shook hands with King Felipe VI and his wife, Queen Letizia, at Horse Guards Parade, Henry VIII's former jousting yard. It is the first state visit by a Spanish monarch since King Juan Carlos toured Britain in 1986 when he raised the controversial issue of Gibraltar:
Home - ITNSource News

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh have formally welcomed the King of Spain to the UK with a military spectacle full of pomp and pageantry. The four are all descended from Queen Victoria and shared a few words before the welcome ceremony began. It is the first state visit by a Spanish monarch since King Juan Carlos toured Britain in 1986 when he raised the controversial issue of Gibraltar - as his son Felipe is expected to do when he addresses parliamentarians later:
Home - ITNSource News

I'm also amazed by (again) the way she (this very fit 91 year old, but with back/knee problems) get out of this carriages.

People can see this in one of the two videos I posted in post 416 - lula has now edited her post and posted the same viseo in post 415.

I can't count the number of times I've been sure QEII was about to tumble out of a carriage or down some stairs but she's been blessed with good strength and agility for her age. I always wonder, though, if there's one person whose specific job it is to watch her like a hawk and leap in to grab her at the first sign of a fall.

Better than his father, who only got the Royal Victorian Chain on his 1986 state visit to the UK.

I wonder if this is because of the Queen's reduced foreign travel. For a while her usual pattern was the Royal Victorian Chain on the first encounter and the Garter on the second, but now that she leaves the country so infrequently she might not expect to see the King again officially.

The Duke of Cambridge attended the private lunch. No sigh of Harry or Catherine via PA

Yes he did! Se it in the first of these video.

Videos from ITN with better quality than the YouTube videos:

Prince Charles and Camilla have greeted King Felipe and Queen Letizia at their hotel this morning before heading off to Horse Guards Parade for a ceremonial welcome by the Queen and Prince Philip:
Home - ITNSource News

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh have formally welcomed the King of Spain to the UK with a military spectacle full of pomp and pageantry. Britain's head of state and Philip warmly shook hands with King Felipe VI and his wife, Queen Letizia, at Horse Guards Parade, Henry VIII's former jousting yard. It is the first state visit by a Spanish monarch since King Juan Carlos toured Britain in 1986 when he raised the controversial issue of Gibraltar:
Home - ITNSource News

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh have formally welcomed the King of Spain to the UK with a military spectacle full of pomp and pageantry. The four are all descended from Queen Victoria and shared a few words before the welcome ceremony began. It is the first state visit by a Spanish monarch since King Juan Carlos toured Britain in 1986 when he raised the controversial issue of Gibraltar - as his son Felipe is expected to do when he addresses parliamentarians later:
Home - ITNSource News

Is it customary for the Prime Minister to be present at the welcome reception ? I don't remember seeing Mrs May in attendance before.

The Duke of Cambridge attended the private lunch. No sigh of Harry or Catherine via PA

I had a hunch that the Duke of Cambridge would attend the private lunch, as he did before, I think, on the Chinese state visit. It is odd though that Catherine didn't accompany him.

Last edited:
Mbruno, I think so. The British press has remarked that May is missing an event in Parliament for the Visit, and that this also happened once with Gordon Brown.

I wonder if this is because of the Queen's reduced foreign travel. For a while her usual pattern was the Royal Victorian Chain on the first encounter and the Garter on the second, but now that she leaves the country so infrequently she might not expect to see the King again officially.

Perhaps because Felipe was a Knight of the Royal Victorian Order already. (He could have been upgraded to Royal Victorian Chain of course)

Is it customary for the Prime Minister to be present at the welcome reception ? I don't remember seeing Mrs May in attendance before.
1. Yes it is customary for the Prime Minister to be present at the welcome reception.

2. This is the second state visit since May become PM, and she was present at Horse Guards for the arrival of the Colombian president in november

I still find it disappointing though that Camilla is not getting any Spanish order, especially considering that, as it has been mentioned here, Máxima got one when she was still engaged to the Prince of Orange !

And also that Letizia won't receive any British orders .

On Letizia's accent, it is well known that the Spanish language doesn't have a sound like the English 'z'. Spanish speakers make that "mistake" not only in English, but also in other European languages, including close languages like Portuguese which, nonetheless, has a 'z' sound unlike Spanish.

I caught that too...it was barely a curtsey, I suppose the effort counts though.

Now about Letizia's dress...love that!

LaRae

Are people seriously disappointed about Camilla's curtsy.

I couldn't care less - but did people notice that Theresa May after her deep curtsy to the Queen (the right ting to do to our amazing monarch), she did just bow to Felipe (also the rigth ting to do - no reason to curtsy) - see the video in post 433.

Does anyone know if it is already confirmed that Felipe received the Order of Garter?

To be honest, I think a lot of us care more about the greetings than they do.

King Felipe looks like such an easy going guy, I seriously doubt he really cares about a curtsey.

Are people seriously disappointed about Camilla's curtsy.

I couldn't care less - but did people notice that Theresa May after her deep curtsy to the Queen (the right ting to do to our amazing monarch), she did just bow to Felipe (also the rigth ting to do - no reason to curtsy) - see the video in post 433.

I'm wondering if perhaps the slight curtsy by Camilla could be due to the fact that a more formal one happened earlier? I went back and checked video and it was Charles and Camilla who actually brought Felipe and Letizia to the Horse Guards to meet the Queen. As they were then formally in the public eye, perhaps the protocol called for a second curtsy/bow?

Are we sure Camilla isn't getting an order?

Our fellow Spanish posters said that no royal decree awarding her an order has been published so far in the official Spanish State Bulletin, so she probably isn't getting one. I don't know if she could get an order before the royal decree is published, but that would be odd, wouldn't it ?

Has been live coverage on Sky News - Felipe and Letizia has arrived at Clarence House.

I guess this means The King will likely make it over to his instillation ceremony for the Garter next year. Something to look forward to, Gods willing.

I guess this means The King will likely make it over to his instillation ceremony for the Garter next year. Something to look forward to, Gods willing.

Does this happen with foreign monarchs too?

Back
Top Bottom