State Visit from the King and Queen of Spain: July 12-14, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm looking forward to the coverage in the morning. I'll just have to get up a bit earlier.

Re: the orders

Spanish orders are bestowed upon royal decrees and those appear in the third page (Otras disposiciones) of the daily Official Journal.
Today's Journal is out and there isn't any royal decree in it.

So now, as many of us had predicted, it's pretty safe to say that only Felipe will get a new order.

Generally the announcement of decorations in the General State Bulletin is done days before the visit, usually is on Friday coinciding with the Council of Ministers. On this occasion neither today nor the previous days has appeared anything.

Not even there are decorations for members of the Royal House or the British government ... so I guess that means there will be no British decorations, possibly with the exception of King Felipe. And that the Queen, the Duke of Edinburgh and the Prince of Wales can not receive decorations higher than they have.

The Army in London‏ @ArmyInLondon
Today's the day! You can watch the #SpainStateVisit from The Mall from 11.45am and @KingsTroopRHA Salute in #GreenPark just after midday.
Pictures:
The Royal Family @RoyalFamily
The Queen previously hosted a Spanish State Visit in 1986, which was attended by King Juan Carlos and Queen Sophia. #SpainStateVisit
Pictures:
In 1988 King Juan Carlos and Queen Sophia invited The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh to visit Spain. #SpainStateVisit
Pictures:

Some extra photos from the Departure Ceremony from Madrid.

PPE Agency

Such a contrast in weather!

Last edited:
Some extra photos from the Departure Ceremony from Madrid.

PPE Agency

Such a contrast in weather!

I had to chuckle a bit about that. Leaving sunny, hot Madrid and arriving at cold, rainy London :D
The weather should be according to news a bit better.

I have a question: Normally state visits include returning invitations, like another banquet given by the guests or going to a concert etc.
The Guildhall banquet is an invitation of the City of London for the royal guests. Why isn´t a returning evernt not included here? Isn´t it, from a diplomatic point of view, unpolite towards the british royal family not to be invited as a gesture of thank-you for their hospitality - or, the other way round, unpolite towards the King and Queen of Spain not giving them the chance to host such an event?!

I have a question: Normally state visits include returning invitations, like another banquet given by the guests or going to a concert etc.
The Guildhall banquet is an invitation of the City of London for the royal guests. Why isn´t a returning evernt not included here? Isn´t it, from a diplomatic point of view, unpolite towards the british royal family not to be invited as a gesture of thank-you for their hospitality - or, the other way round, unpolite towards the King and Queen of Spain not giving them the chance to host such an event?!
I have noticed that this is the case is most State Visits to the UK. I think the reason is that State Visits are npow usually only 3 days with the visiting guests leaving on the third day. And with the Guildhall Dinner on the second day there is no time for a return reception. At State Visit to other countries the return Event is usually on the second evening.

I have noticed that this is the case is most State Visits to the UK. I think the reason is that State Visits are npow usually only 3 days with the visiting guests leaving on the third day. And with the Guildhall Dinner on the second day there is no time for a return reception. At State Visit to other countries the return Event is usually on the second evening.

I know! State visits have been reduced mostly to three 3 days in the last 20 years or so. But in other countries st. visits also only last 3 days but still give the opportunity for a return banquet...I don´t know when they exactly ditched it, but the return dinner used to take place at the Dorchester or Claridge´s Hotel in London.

The weather looks much improved in London and there are nice sized crowds outside Buckingham Palace ahead of the arrival of the King and Queen of Spain.

I was right - the Queen and Felipe to use the open 1902 State Landau - first time HM has used it for a state visit since 2003.

The Royal Family‏ @RoyalFamily
The two Royal Families will then travel to Buckingham Palace by carriage – a tradition of every State Visit. #SpainStateVisit
Pictures:
This morning the staff at The Royal Mews have been busy preparing the horses and carriages for today's ceremony. #SpainStateVisit
Pictures:
The horses are harnessed - this year they will pull The Queen and King Felipe in the 1902 State Landau. #SpainStateVisit
Pictures:
The 1902 State Landau was built for the Coronation of King Edward VII in 1902. #SpainStateVisit
Picture:
The horses are hitched to their respective carriages, ready to be inspected by The Master of The Horse before departing. #SpainStateVisit
Video:
The Royal Family‏Verifisert konto @RoyalFamily 17 minfor 17 minutter siden
The Royal Mews staff are wearing their 'Full State' Livery – a uniform that has changed little in over 200 years. #SpainStateVisit
Pictures: https://twitter.com/RoyalFamily/status/885088048500887556

Last edited:
Her Majesty the Queen( in lilac/purple) and Duke of Edinburgh have just arrived ahead of the Spanish king/queen.

HM and Philip seems to be in great spirits.

Yes they do and the Duke in particular looks rather jovial!

My livefeed froze as they arrived and I mistook queen Letizia for the Duchess of Cambridge.

Ahhh, the weather looks great again!
So do the two Queens :)

Last edited:
Yes they do and the Duke in particular looks rather jovial!

Yes, doesn't he :) His shoulders may be hunched from old age but he still looks alert and in good spirit. When I look at him then somehow 96 doesn't seem so old anymore ;)
Love Letizia's hair styled like this and her outfit looks elegant. QEII looks very lovely in fuchsia-color outfit.

And the weather has improved a lot!

As per the BBC news both Princes William and Harry will attend State Banquet no mention of the Duchess of Cambridge.

I'm impressed/surprised by the coverage - live on UK News Channels.

The coverage on SKY news is better than the BBC who are showing Leaders Questions intermittent coverage on the State Visit.

Back
Top Bottom