State Visit from the King and Queen of Spain: July 12-14, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On State Visits, he usually visits the important institutions of the host country and speaks at the national assembly/parliament, giving those in audience - the elected representatives of the country - the message that the Spanish government wants to get across, with regard to the UK certainly a strong statement on Gibraltar and the EU while praising the good old days of history and hoping for close ties in the future.

This is the whole public point of the State Visit, while other bilateral meetings/politics are going on in the background.
Thanks for the clarifications!
Given the current situation in the UK, British MPs will be in no mood for speeches about good old days and etc.

Last edited:
I think it is important to get this State Visit right - i.e. King Felipe being able to address parliament and if this means fixing a new date, then so be it.

I guess the issue is finding a new time, it can't now be until after the election which is on 8th June. Allowing the week after for the PM putting a cabinet together etc (no point not turning up in an election period only to turn up when everyone is too busy doing other things than to meet the King) we then reach the week starting the 19th June and, oh wait its Order of the Garter service then Royal Ascot week, then they will want to fit in a State Opening of Parliament. Then we are only weeks before the Queen goes to Balmoral...then we are into October and its close to when Trump is meant to visit.

Last edited:
Perhaps an invite during the time of the Order of the Garter service and then attending Ascot week with a stay at Windsor Castle would be nice? Has HM ever had foreign royals staying for these events before?

Perhaps an invite during the time of the Order of the Garter service and then attending Ascot week with a stay at Windsor Castle would be nice? Has HM ever had foreign royals staying for these events before?

Yes, The Queen has hosted foreign royals during Garter and Ascot week. The foreign royals used to attend these events.

Yes, when she has honoured foreign royals with the garter, but not under a state visit I think. Royals from across europe attended the service during the Queen's Golden Jubilee in 2002.

Hmmm... seems to me that this might be a good time to mix things up. Invite Spain for that week and have them attend the Garter service and Ascot and one of the days while the Queen and Letizia are at Ascot, Felipe can do his parliamentary thing and then meet back at the castle for dinner.

There is always very good press coverage of Ascot and the Garter service and Felipe gets to do his thing with the government and everybody's happy and having a good time. Seems like a good idea to me. What better way of hosting a state visit than by including the visiting royals in things that are purely British and traditional?

Question. Is either Felipe or Letizia an avid horse person?

Anyways, what do I know. Just my ideas. :D

As Trooping and Ascot is only a week after the election (17th June for Trooping) with Ascot starting on the following Tuesday and Garter Day on the 19th those dates don't really work.

The parliament won't be sitting again until after the official State Opening of Parliament and that can't happen until after the election, the swearing in of the new cabinet etc.

With Ascot already in the schedule for less than two weeks after the election I would think that the next State Opening would be in late June - possibly the 28th.

The BBC is suggesting the 14th - 6 days after the election - or 21st in Ascot week which HM won't like.

The date for that will have to be quite quick after the election as the parliament goes into its summer break in July not to return until September - that may change slightly with this election as they haven't updated the websites since the announcement of course.

It would be totally unacceptable for a foreign Head of State to address the parliament before HM has formally opened the parliament.

One thing that could result from this election is a new speaker for the Commons with a different attitude to the other potential State Visitor this year being able to address the parliament.

Last edited:
IMO.. just cancel it, full stop.

:previous: From all the problems presented and the whys and wherefores of how things are done, (checks off the learn something new box) perhaps a cancellation is the best way to go. The dates just don't fit and a cancellation will leave both sides open to coming up with a new plan where everybody's happy.

Cancel - until Spain stop their grandstanding over the Gibraltar issue? In 2002 98.97% voted 'No' in the shared sovereignty referendum. Living in Northern Ireland, I appreciate the importance of these sovereignty issues.
The referendum was pre-Brexit tho :bang:

Frankly, according to reports May decided to call this election after some careful thinking this bank holiday weekend and informed The Queen on Monday of her decision.

Whilst I agree that a GE is important, we were by no means expecting one to happen. But we were expecting a state visit from a King and Queen of Europe, the amount of planning that has gone in to that etc, frankly on some level someone in the palace is very annoyed that this GE is ruining the State Visit.

If you can fit a general election, around The Queens engagements (which frankly I doubt is the case), you can fit it around a State Visit, one that's already been cancelled once.

It's not up to The Queen whether this visit goes ahead, it's the choice of the government. Frankly if anything it make the whole situation easier for everyone, nobodies going to pop up in parliament and shout Gibraltar at someone. :whistling::lol::lol:

I doubt QEII or any of her staff will be too put out if the visit is cancelled. She/they know that an election takes precedence over most things and most of the planning can be shelved and brought out again whenever the visit goes ahead. Most of these visits seem to follow a template that doesn't change much over time and I'm sure the Queen herself could host a state visit in her sleep if she had to.

I also can't imagine the issue of the state visit seriously crossed the PM's mind in terms of when to call the election. IMO the only countries which would need to be taken into account in this situation, (ie absolutely couldn't be cancelled on this close to a visit), would be the US and China.

I would feel bad, somewhat, for the Spanish delegation, if the visit is cancelled because I think being the visitors probably involves more prep work than being the hosts, especially since the monarch and some of his staff are relatively new at their jobs. But, again, I'm sure everyone understands these things happen.

I don't see how this visit can be scheduled tightly after election - as we learned, an election can be unpredictable, what if May has problems forming a government and everything will be delayed, will the visit be postponed again? How embarrassing would that be.

I don't see this visit happen until everything has been settled and is well in place, it will be autumn when The Donald as already been scheduled to come to UK. But who knows, political life changes fast.

Cancel - until Spain stop their grandstanding over the Gibraltar issue? In 2002 98.97% voted 'No' in the shared sovereignty referendum. Living in Northern Ireland, I appreciate the importance of these sovereignty issues.
The referendum was pre-Brexit tho :bang:

In 2016, in the referendum 96% of the Gibraltarians voted for staying in the European Union. But the wishes of the Gibraltarians are completely ignored. As are the wishes of the majorities in Scotland and in your very own Northern Ireland. The whole UK combined, just 51,89% of the voters backed the idea of a Brexit.

This not so convincing result, combined with the clear victories for Remain in Scotland, Northern Ireland and Gibraltar however did not stop the Conservative Government to go on crash course and head for a hard Brexit, with all possible serious consequences the people in Scotland, Northern Ireland (parts of "our precious union" dixit Mrs May) and Gibraltar did not ask for.

So yes, 15 years ago the Gibraltarians (less than 20,000 people) voted for staying in the UK. For what it is worth. After all: the same UK completely ignores the wish of 95,91% of the Gibraltarians expressed in last year's referendum. So Gibraltar is just a pawn on the chessboard of UK's diplomacy. As it is for the Spanish (quite understandably).

Last edited:
In 2016, in the referendum 96% of the Gibraltarians voted for staying in the European Union. But the wishes of the Gibraltarians are completely ignored. As are the wishes of the majorities in Scotland and in your very own Northern Ireland. The whole UK combined, just 51,89% of the voters backed the idea of a Brexit.

This not so convincing result, combined with the clear victories for Remain in Scotland, Northern Ireland and Gibraltar however did not stop the Conservative Government to go on crash course and head for a hard Brexit, with all possible serious consequences the people in Scotland, Northern Ireland (parts of "our precious union" dixit Mrs May) and Gibraltar did not ask for.

So yes, 15 years ago the Gibraltarians (less than 20,000 people) voted for staying in the UK. For what it is worth. After all: the same UK completely ignores the wish of 95,91% of the Gibraltarians expressed in last year's referendum. So Gibraltar is just a pawn on the chessboard of UK's diplomacy. As it is for the Spanish (quite understandably).

I could sit and pick this nonsense apart but it's just the latest in a number of posts which demonstrates your lack of understanding of the UK and the British people. Clearly there's no point.

It's not up to The Queen whether this visit goes ahead, it's the choice of the government.

I didn't say it was up to the Queen. What should happen is that the Queen's private secretary contacts someone close to the PM in Downing Street and explains how this farcical visit happening so close to the GE puts the Crown in a very difficult position. I'm sure, given we had to accept the Spaniards cancelling the last one due to political realities at home, that a further cancellation wouldn't be the end of the world.

Think for a moment that, in the couple of weeks leading up to the GE, the polls dramatically tighten which they tend to do to a greater or lesser extent. The possibility of a hung Parliament looms large with all that means for Brexit. The Queen and her staff will be expected to be focussing all their efforts in those days on what happens next - quiet meetings with representatives of all involved, taking soundings on who would be willing to work with who, what are the 'red lines' for all involved, what's the choreography of the days after the results etc. while dealing with the sky-high national and international press who will be watching every move the Queen makes during that time.

In such a situation, it would be a total scandal if the Queen and her staff were spending their time deciding whether to give a foreign monarch the blue Garter riband and which signed photo to give Letizia. Surely, common sense will win out!

Last edited:
Rhiannon Mills‏ @SkyRhiannon 1m1 minute ago
Buckingham Palace confirm Spanish State visit moved to 12th-14th July due to #GE2017 King of Spain was due to visit The Queen 6th-8th June

The Royal Family @RoyalFamily 6m6 minutes ago
Her Majesty The Queen and The King of Spain have agreed that the planned Spanish State Visit to the UK in June will be postponed until July.

The Royal Family @RoyalFamily 6m6 minutes ago
In light of the UK General Election, The Visit has been rescheduled and will now take place from 12th-14th July.

Last edited by a moderator:

It is a pity that the King and the Queen won't have any private event with the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, but will have two (!) events with the Duke of York. I am still confident though that William and Catherine will attend the state banquet at Buckingham Palace.

As I noticed yesterday (picture below), The 1902 State Landau (open carriage) is used in the in rehearsals. Does this mean that HM and Felipe will use it, or will they use The Diamond Jubilee State Coach as usual? I Don't know, but this is the first June/July state visit to the UK since June 2003 when the Queen and Putin used the open 1902 carriage (this was last time HM used an open carriage during a state visit). It was also used for the the Jordanian state visit in November 2001 and the South African state visit in June 2001.

The Queen and her state guests have only used closed carriages since then, even though we have had 4 April/May state visits since 2004. Why? I don't know, but maybe because of security/weather reasons.

Other members of the royal family (including Charles and Camilla) have continued to use open carriages for state visit sine then.

Picture of the rehearsals:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/07/07/08/421AEE7C00000578-0-image-m-71_1499411210101.jpg

Most likely the Diamond Jubilee State Coach will be used. Yes, I think it's due to security and weather reasons.

Very likely the Cambridge's will be at the State Banquet. We will likely get pictures of the arrivals and videos of the processions and speeches. It would be lovely if the palace press team used their YouTube channel to broadcast live coverage of the beginnings of the State Banquet.

Last edited:
It is a pity that the King and the Queen won't have any private event with the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, but will have two (!) events with the Duke of York. I am still confident though that William and Catherine will attend the state banquet at Buckingham Palace.

Prince Andrew is a senior royal so I don't see the shame. I for one like they don't ship off the older senior royals simply because the younger generation is ready.

It seems dictated anyways by the events the visiting couple are attending. Andrew focussed both on entrepreneurship including expanding business over seas, and on education and research in technical fields. Both events he will accompany the couple on are suited to him.

Take the Crick institute. Who has more knowledge of medical research and technology to tour the institute? Kate or Andrew? If the royal couple were touring a hospice or children's hospital, something like that, yes Kate would be fantastic. It's her area of knowledge.

Beautiful carriage

Yes, a very beautiful carriage. It has been used for several royal celebrations - here are some of them:

Silver Wedding Anniversary 1972:
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos...n-elizabeth-with-picture-id80750430?s=594x594

Silver Jubilee 1977:
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos...urgh-ride-in-an-picture-id499562556?s=594x594

Queen mothers 80th 1980:
https://yooniqimages.blob.core.wind...-a440-33b414f233bf/YooniqImages_102100572.jpg

Wedding 1981:
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos...o-the-crowds-on-picture-id109080657?s=594x594

Wedding 1986:
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos...h-ferguson-waving-picture-id3203074?s=594x594

Wedding 2011:
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos...ss-of-cambridge-picture-id114228733?s=594x594

Diamond Jubilee 2012:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/67/Carriage_with_horses.jpg

Most likely the Diamond Jubilee State Coach will be used. Yes, I think it's due to security and weather reasons.

I was 100% sure of the Diamond Jubilee Coach (until yesterday) as well, but now I would say 50% sure - and why use the The 1902 State Landau for the rehearsals if it's not going to be used? Last time it was used for rehearsals was (I think, but not sure) in 2012 for the Jubilee.

Yes, a very beautiful carriage. It has been used for several royal celebrations - here are some of them:

Silver Wedding Anniversary 1972:
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos...n-elizabeth-with-picture-id80750430?s=594x594

Silver Jubilee 1977:
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos...urgh-ride-in-an-picture-id499562556?s=594x594

Queen mothers 80th 1980:
https://yooniqimages.blob.core.wind...-a440-33b414f233bf/YooniqImages_102100572.jpg

Wedding 1981:
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos...o-the-crowds-on-picture-id109080657?s=594x594

Wedding 1986:
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos...h-ferguson-waving-picture-id3203074?s=594x594

Wedding 2011:
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos...ss-of-cambridge-picture-id114228733?s=594x594

Diamond Jubilee 2012:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/67/Carriage_with_horses.jpg

I was 100% sure of the Diamond Jubilee Coach (until yesterday) as well, but now I would say 50% sure - and why use the The 1902 State Landau for the rehearsals if it's not going to be used? Last time it was used for rehearsals was (I think, but not sure) in 2012 for the Jubilee.

It could be the one Charles and Camilla will use. I do know The Queen uses the Diamond Jubilee State Carriage for Opening of Parliament and State Visits now.

Back
Top Bottom