State Visit from the King and Queen of Spain: July 12-14, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And how will the Spanish media coverage be when King Felipe and Queen Letizia meets the most popular, iconic, longest-reigning and most famous head of state in the world (Queen of 16 countries and figurehead of 2 billion people)? Maybe some of the Spanish posters here can answer.
I think there is lot of expectation put on this rip, RN, just as it was for the cancelled visit last year. Of course, in terms of royal visits, the UK is considered the top out of all the royal houses in the world. The fashion-gossipping press will cover it extensively, without a doubt. If there is finally a Letizia - Kate' face off they'll be in heaven and will produce notes, articles and criticism for a month, that's for sure. I'm afraid nobody but us will pay much attention to whether Felipe receives the Garter or not, though :D

But also the serious press will be very much in awe. Lula's post before stated the several reasons for which this visit is a top mark for both countries foreign politics. The UK is one of the most important countries in the world, one of the largest EU economies and one whose future is uncertain now and can affect in different ways to many countries, with Spain being one of them. I'm pretty sure there will be many eyes put on this trip.

Live coverage, though, is not something I've seen often on Spanish press. Nevertheless now it's more likely that online resources may have a live streaming for the events. But, being UK the hosting country it will very much depend on the coverage they will give to it.

excited that the visit has finally been rescheduled. i am hoping for a second outing of letizia's grandest tiara, queen ena's.

i see that 'The King and Queen of Spain will stay at Buckingham Palace' which is a change from their previous scheduled stay at windsor! i guess the BRF want some time to intimate with the spanish royals in privacy.

It is really surprising that the King and the Queen are staying at Buckingham Palace. Visiting European monarchs usually stay at Windsor, don't they ?

It will be interesting to see where president Trump and first lady Melania Trump will stay when they visit the UK, probably only in the fall now.

I honestly think it just depends on where the Queen is in residence at the time. I know when the Norway RF came to visit it was at BP.

i don't remember who or when someone said that royals when there is a visit from another royal don't mind to make them stay in palace like BP because they already know how to handle an old palace .

i don't remember who or when someone said that royals when there is a visit from another royal don't mind to make them stay in palace like BP because they already know how to handle an old palace .
I think it was Margarethe of Denmark. She said they could host royals in the castles because royals were used to drafty old buildings and far to the toilets while politicians "expect" on suite bathrooms and such :p

I think it was Margarethe of Denmark. She said they could host royals in the castles because royals were used to drafty old buildings and far to the toilets while politicians "expect" on suite bathrooms and such :p

Yes, it was Margrethe who said that. She said it with a smile but it was a real kick in the backside of the politicians.
God only knows how Melania will handle the famously rustic conditions of BP. ;)

How much is all this nonsense going to cost us? Felipe is not the decision maker in Spain, what is the point of him making this visit? Why should he speak to Parliament? I wonder will he repeat his disgraceful, offensive comments made at the UN? I'm gonna guess not.

At the end o f all of this, nothing will have changed. Spain will still be doing all it can to make Brexit as painful as it can for the UK, as part of the EU's efforts to scare any other member who might think about leaving. Spain will still be seeking to deny the citizens of Gibraltar their democratic rights while trying to make their lives as difficult as possible. Spain will still not give reassurances to the British expats living there about whether they'll be kicked out. Spain will still do nothing to help British expats who have been defrauded by Spanish companies when they purchased property in Spain. Spain will still support Argentina in it's attempts to deny the people of the Falklands their democratic rights to self-determination.

But, hey, Felipe might get a blue ribbon and a garter star!!!! How wonderful for us all.

The Spaniards own huge assets in the UK. It varies from banks, enegry companies, public transport companies, infrastructure and even something commonly as Zara, Pull&Bear, Mango one can see in every British city is Spanish. Not to mention the enormous amount British ex-pats in Spain, who hope to continue to make good use of Spanish public services and Spanish health care. Usually in the slipstream of such a royal State Visit, there is a whole fleet of politicians, captains of industry, bankers, investors, using the open doors to the top of British and Spanish society to trade.

For the same reason I expect a Dutch State Visit. When we think about the Netherlands, two of the world's biggest hard-economy multinationals are half Dutch and British: Shell and Unilever, while other multinationals like Philips Electronics, Akzo Nobel, banks, insurance companies and pension funds have billions in the British economy, some of the oldest ties going back to 17th and 18th Century. The Dutch also own transport, airport and maritime port infrastructures in the UK and a giant like Dutch Gasunie is in joint venture with British offshore companies to win North Sea gas.

So yes, I would say that the State Visits by neighbours, EU-partners, NATO-allies and hugely important investors as Spain, the Netherlands and Sweden deserve the biggest show indeed to keep them pro-Britain in an after-Brexit world. I would say these are more important than visits from Botswana or Bolivia, while also for these heads of state there will be a similar pomp and circumstance as for Felipe de España.

Last edited:

you are right , i think it was in one of the documentaries about the danish royal palaces .

I think there is lot of expectation put on this rip, RN, just as it was for the cancelled visit last year. Of course, in terms of royal visits, the UK is considered the top out of all the royal houses in the world. The fashion-gossipping press will cover it extensively, without a doubt. If there is finally a Letizia - Kate' face off they'll be in heaven and will produce notes, articles and criticism for a month, that's for sure. I'm afraid nobody but us will pay much attention to whether Felipe receives the Garter or not, though :D

But also the serious press will be very much in awe. Lula's post before stated the several reasons for which this visit is a top mark for both countries foreign politics. The UK is one of the most important countries in the world, one of the largest EU economies and one whose future is uncertain now and can affect in different ways to many countries, with Spain being one of them. I'm pretty sure there will be many eyes put on this trip.

Live coverage, though, is not something I've seen often on Spanish press. Nevertheless now it's more likely that online resources may have a live streaming for the events. But, being UK the hosting country it will very much depend on the coverage they will give to it.
ANNIE_S, thanks for an interesting answer! And as I said in post 175, I don't think that BBC/ News Channel/Sky News will see the Spanish state visit as important enough to have live coverage.

Sorry but I don't agree that the serious Spanish press will be in awe about this visit. There will be a 1 min segment on RTVE about the royal visit itself and plenty of newspapers articles addressing how Brexit is going to affect both countries and our respective communities.

The tiaras, gowns and royal paraphernalia will not be followed by serious news. They follow the political and economic aspect of the visit and contacts between business, government and community groups.

I honestly think it just depends on where the Queen is in residence at the time. I know when the Norway RF came to visit it was at BP.

You'r right. She's received in Buckingham, Windsor and even Balmoral. It depends where she is.

To be honest, I don't see the Cambridges getting any kind of order at all at this time. Perhaps in the future when William is the heir and plays a more significant role in foreign state visits.

Even though the Cambridges are stepping up to becoming full time working royals for the "Firm", the fact remains that William is still the heir to the heir and the grandson of the monarch and I think he will be continued to be treated as such.

They may or may not attend state banquets. That is solely at the discretion of the monarch.

Agreed. People keep forgetting William is still the heir of the heir and grandson of the Queen. While she's alive William is still a minor "Firm" worker. I think the Cambridges will be in the in the first State dinner but I don't expect them in the second.

Will the former King and Queen take part?

No. A State visit is really a series of top meetings, with tiaras, between the head of state and the government of the countries involved. King Juan Carlos, like Prince Beatrix are enjoying their retirement. They're involved with charities, causes and helping their country in general terms but they'are still retired.

The primary interest I have, as an Aussie, in this State visit, are gowns, jewels and tiaras of the Royal ladies, especially those worn by Queen Letizia. Yes, I am that sharllow!

LOL, shallow and honest is excellent in a royal forum. Good on ya! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
Britain isn't going to give up Gibraltar. It's a non-starter. Gibralter voted like over 90 percent to be part of Britain.

I hope the PM deploys 3 Commando Brigade. The EU will have second thoughts, I'm sure.

Last edited:
Britain isn't going to give up Gibraltar. It's a non-starter. Gibralter voted like over 90 percent to be part of Britain.

I hope the PM deploys 3 Commando Brigade. The EU will have second thoughts, I'm sure.

And considering that the UK is STILL part of the EU, at least for now, it's laughable.

And considering that the UK is STILL part of the EU, at least for now, it's laughable.

The Gibraltar reference was an unnecessary provocation on the part of the EU, but, that point notwithstanding, the general opinion from London is that Tusk's letter was actually more accommodating than originally expected. For example, Tusk didn't insist on the hardline position of ruling out any trade deal before Brexit is finalized and is now only calling for a quick agreement on the status of EU citizens in the UK and on UK financial liabilities to the EU before trade talks can commence. That is clearly an invitation to find a compromise both sides can live with politically speaking.

Laugh away but the Foreign Minister is on the side of Britons. Deploy 45 Commando to The Rock, I say.

Boris Johnson‏ @BorisJohnson
Good to speak to #Gibraltar Chief Minister @FabianPicardo. As ever, the UK remains implacable & rock-like in our support for Gibraltar

Last edited:
Laugh away but the Foreign Minister is on the side of Britons. Deploy 45 Commando to The Rock, I say.

Boris Johnson‏ @BorisJohnson
Good to speak to #Gibraltar Chief Minister @FabianPicardo. As ever, the UK remains implacable & rock-like in our support for Gibraltar

Will be a good conversation starter at the state banquet ...

The Gibraltar reference was an unnecessary provocation on the part of the EU, but, that point notwithstanding, the general opinion from London is that Tusk's letter was actually more accommodating than originally expected. For example, Tusk didn't insist on the hardline position of ruling out any trade deal before Brexit is finalized and is now only calling for a quick agreement on the status of EU citizens in the UK and on UK financial liabilities to the EU before trade talks can commence. That is clearly an invitation to find a compromise both sides can live with politically speaking.

Agree. While some in the top of the EU apparatus would no doubt very much like to "punish" Britain for leaving (Juncker springs to mind), It would be absolutely idiotic to make things hard for the second largest economy in Europe. Not to mention that a number of countries have a very lucrative trade with Britain. These countries have no interest whatsoever in ruining that trade merely to state an example.
Apart from that Britain outside EU still constitute a market of some 60 million consumers.
And then there are the very vocal EU-skeptics in the remaining countries.
If EU "punish" Britain they will have a field day, almost calling for a rebellion against EU. - But. But, if the EU give Britain too much leniency then those who wish to secede from EU can say: "You see, We can get a good deal if we sign out".
So it's about finding a very narrow middle-road.

Will be a good conversation starter at the state banquet ...

:lol:

Yeah, but it wouldn't be that difficult to make things unbearable for Gibraltar. Just cut the power, close the crossings, close the water supply, ban flights to Gibraltar from crossing EU airspace and close the trade.
Within a few months, Britain would be forced to agree to a humiliating settlement. - So no one would be so foolish as to even contemplate military force.

The Gibraltar issue is nothing but teasing and stirring the mainly British public, because outside Spain, I doubt anyone else in EU care one hoot about Gibraltar.

All the protagonists of this story know perfectly the situation, no matter how much political noise they want to make now. But one thing is the nationalist propaganda, and another the reality that affects the daily life of the citizens.

90% of the citizens of Gibraltar voted against Brexit, and they knew what they were voting. They want to remain part of the UK, but at the same time they know that their economic survival without presence in the European Union is difficult. UK wants to close borders, but Gibraltar needs free movement of citizens with Spain. They enjoyed being British when that supposed to live much better than the Spaniards, but after the Brexit will be difficult to maintain that privileged existence. If Gibraltar wants the best of two worlds, it will have to give in to something.

It would be foolish for Spain to accept having a border with all kinds of special advantages (including many tax advantages) without saying anything. And the proposal of Spain, is to open negotiations that allow Gibraltar to have the best of two worlds.

Theresa May did not mention Gibraltar in her letter to the EU. Economic interests and the transfer of citizens make Spain one of the best allies for the United Kingdom in the negotiations with the European Union. Both countries have many common interests and Gibraltar is an obstacle. The position of Gibraltar is even facing that of hundreds of thousands of Birtanians living in Spain, and for whom obtaining dual citizenship of both countries would be a solution.

Well, it's looking like the Spanish state visit is going to have to be postponed again. Assuming the PM gets the votes for it in Parliament, there is going to be a general election on the 8th of June. I can't imagine the visit would happen during a campaign at all, let alone at the very end of it.

Last edited:
:previous: It will most likely be postponed again :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

What a strange timing...

are there any reactions in spain? to put the election on this specific date can be seen as a polite un-invitation by the government, the timing being not good with all the brexit/gibraltar talk....

Will the visit be canceled? Or delayed? It's strange that the elections are scheduled for that date ...

are there any reactions in spain? to put the election on this specific date can be seen as a polite un-invitation by the government, the timing being not good with all the brexit/gibraltar talk....
Yeah, that was what I thought too :lol:

It's up to the British Government to cancel the visit now, so I guess we will have to wait until something is made official to get some response. The elections anouncement has come as a surprise to everybody, I've seen some remarks to the fact that the date coincide with the visit but mostly everybody is expecting the next step from UK.

I hope its not postponed yet again!

Parliament have to agree to this election - probably a vote tomorrow. Need 7/8 weeks notice.

Politically its an interesting move but I would say that Parliament will agree and the royal visit will be postponed

Back
Top Bottom