State Visit from the King and Queen of Spain: July 12-14, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
T.M.The King and Queen with HRH Prince Henry of Wales at Westminster Abbey.

PPE Agency

The Duchess of Cornwall looked absolutely fabulous. Her combination of jewels was awesome and I like her regal type of dresses.

does anyone know why in certain state visits guests stay at windsor, and in others at buckingham? for this very visit, in fact, F&L were going to stay at windsor until the plan changed (when the dates got changed). is there a reason for this?

Wasn't Letizia scheduled to go to Downing Street as well?

Strange that she has no solo event on her agenda but a free afternoon instead until the Lord Mayor Dinner, there are lots of charities that suit her field of interest and lots of members of the BRF who could go there with her. Pity!

Theresa May hails ties with Spain as she welcomes King Felipe to No10 for talks - but will he raise Gibraltar?

Last edited:
When are they scheduled to depart? I'm wondering if they will stay for the women's Wimbledon final since a Spaniard will be playing. I know Felipe has attended many of Nadal's grand slam finals.

I´ve ner seen a photocall of a foreign head of state´s state visit inside Downing Street 10!

Letizia wore almost towering high heels...
And I guess the D o Edinb. just wanted to be polite with a state guest! Don´t believe the Queen of Spain wouldn´t have managed to get out of that coach unhurt without help...:lol:
I know, but I still find it funny.

ITN videos of the State Visit - Day 2:

King Felipe has spoken to British and Spanish company bosses at the Mansion House at a business forum where he was accompanied by the Duke of York:
Home - ITNSource News

Prince Harry carried out his first official role in a state visit as he joined the king and queen of Spain at a ceremony in Westminster Abbey. King Felipe VI laid a wreath of yellow roses and red carnations on the grave of the Unknown Warrior inside the ancient abbey in central London. The ceremony, which is custom for a visiting head of state to perform, was followed by a brief prayer led by the Dean of Westminster, the Very Rev Dr John Hall:
Home - ITNSource News

YouTube videos:

T.M.The King and Queen with HRH Prince Henry of Wales at Westminster Abbey.

PPE Agency

While I like Letizia's skirt and blouse, it seems a bit too casual for today's events. She's not going to work at an office, she's at Westminster at a ceremony to honor the dead. She could have dressed more appropriately. A bad miss for Letizia today.

Fabulous shoes on Mrs. May. That's all I've got.

Last edited by a moderator:
H.M.The King of Spain meets British Prime Minister at Downing Street.

PPE Agency

While I like Letizia's skirt and blouse, it seems a bit too casual for today's events. She's not going to work at an office, she's at Westminster at a ceremony to honor the dead. She could have dressed more appropriately. A bad miss for Letizia today.

Give her a break ! The girl is having two back to back tiara dinners in two days, which is more than most women could handle.

Give her a break ! The girl is having two back to back tiara dinners in two days, which is more than most women could handle.

She is the Queen of Spain! I don't care how many "tiara events" she has, she can still put on a suit or appropriate dress to attend a church service.

I don't care a twit. I'm just making an observation. I dressed better when I went to Westminster Abbey while on vacay because I had respect for where I was. Surely a Queen could do the same. Defend her all you want. I don't care.:ermm: But if I were Spanish I would be embarrassed.

She is the Queen of Spain! I don't care how many "tiara events" she has, she can still put on a suit or appropriate dress to attend a church service.

I don't care a twit. I'm just making an observation. I dressed better when I went to Westminster Abbey while on vacay because I had respect for where I was. Surely a Queen could do the same. Defend her all you want. I don't care.:ermm: But if I were Spanish I would be embarrassed.

It was not a Church service ...

:previous:

They were honoring the dead and there was a prayer. It was a service in a church. She should have dressed better. Bottom line. I'm through.:bang:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasn't Letizia scheduled to go to Downing Street as well?

Strange that she has no solo event on her agenda but a free afternoon instead until the Lord Mayor Dinner, there are lots of charities that suit her field of interest and lots of members of the BRF who could go there with her. Pity!

Theresa May hails ties with Spain as she welcomes King Felipe to No10 for talks - but will he raise Gibraltar?

that is true. if there was free time, surely they could hook her up with some charity in UK which need exposure - maybe on rare diseases, literacy, or other issues she supports? usually state visits are jam packed, but an afternoon free is most odd.

i don't see what's wrong with letizia's outfit. a long skirt and a professional shirt. looks appropriate to me?

In these visits, more often than not an "afternoon free" is not really free, it's just that she probably is on "private time." Perhaps meeting with very important people or their spouses, or she is out shopping or who knows. Or she has very little time to prepare for the next event if she has to do something in between.

Also visits to charitable institutions during state visits entail so much--admin arrangements from security to protocol, then looking at an organization from all angles to make sure there are no surprises, etc. Another likely scenario is having an appointment pending and up to the last minute, it couldn't be confirmed, so it's a no go.

Also possible that it's just not appropriate or good to compete with media coverage of the King going to Downing St if the Queen is elsewhere and looking pretty. Any of these scenarios is possible, based on experience so far dealing with a state visit. :flowers:

Btw embarrassment because the Queen was not 100% dressed according to how you wanted her to be dressed is excessive and luckily Spaniards are not as dramatic as that. I'm not into her outfit, at the very least she should have worn closed shoes but I always love her girl boss vibe. That is not a woman you can push around.

Last edited:

Very much agree with you, Queen of Spain is not there as a *tourist* she is representing her country. On my 1st trip to Europe I made sure I learned about the dress code of certain places to visit and if you are going to a foreign country then you always respect that country and dress accordingly. I find there is no excuse in some of her clothing choices as it seems she is listening to people that perhaps have not been to these historical places.

Very much agree with you, Queen of Spain is not there as a *tourist* she is representing her country. On my 1st trip to Europe I made sure I learned about the dress code of certain places to visit and if you are going to a foreign country then you always respect that country and dress accordingly. I find there is no excuse in some of her clothing choices as it seems she is listening to people that perhaps have not been to these historical places.

I don't think she was disrespectful in the way she was dressed to visit Westminster Abbey. Maybe you guys are overreacting.

Last edited:
For me at least, it was Charlene of Monaco who set the standard for how a Royal/Princely consort should dress when visiting Westminster Abbey a few months ago. She looked amazing and perfect, even though it was a low key visit.

I wish I could find the photo!:whistling:

Last edited:

She's wearing a conservative blouse and a skirt... in no way is that inappropriate for a visit to a church.

As Queen of Spain, i'm pretty sure she's very used to visit some "historical places".:lol::lol:
From an "European" point of view, she was dressed very appropriately for a church (shoulders covered). From a personnal one i think she looked young, modern and estival.
To insinuate that she showed some disrespect to her British hosts with that dress is just a bit ridiculous to be frank.

As Queen of Spain, i'm pretty sure she's very used to visit some "historical places".:lol::lol:
From an "European" point of view, she was dressed very appropriately for a church (shoulders covered). From a personnal one i think she looked young, modern and estival.
To insinuate that she showed some disrespect to her British hosts with that dress is just a bit ridiculous to be frank.

Okay you got me on that historical places ??...and yes I am sure she has been to more then I will ever get to. I, in looking back at my comment I did not mean that QL disrespected her British hosts at all. For me personally I see a skirt and blouse as office attire or shopping out with the girls or having lunch at a cafe, not an event like today. Open toe shoes is something I would not wear to church ever, so I am an ole fashioned lady who dresses different and thinks that perhaps QL should of worn a dress or suit, light weight with closed shoes, that is JMO.

Maybe the York girls have no interest in state banquets. I mean, Bea (I think) works in NY and Eugenie has a job also. Maybe they don't really want to have to sit through boring speeches with a lot of old people. Lady Gabriella is a different story given the mother she has.

I don't know. I just think if either Bea or Eugenie wanted to go to state banquets there would be no problem getting them an invitation from their grandmother.

Lady Gabriella is a fluent Spanish speaker who has lived and worked in Spain and is a great advocate of all things Spanish. The Queen is known to include family members who have some kind of link with the country of the visiting head of state and I think that's why LG attended the banquet.

So why did they not wear the sashes of if? Or did they get a lower grade without sash.

There is a discussion going on about this topic on the RFO forum.

Apparently, Anne was made a Grand Cross and should have worn the sash; Harry was made a Commander and should have worn the badge on his necklace. Neither one happened as Anne wore the sash of the Garter and Harry wore his KCVO badge on his neck.

My theory is that they didn't get the full insignia in time for the banquet, which would be very amateurish either on the part of the Spaniards, or the Brits, or both. Could it be possible ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom