State Visit from the Emperor and Empress of Japan: Spring 2020 [postponed]

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous:

Oh, yes of-course, you're right - indeed it is shame a reciprocal event hasn't been done in a while. I'm a little disappointed and hope it's something that will return one day.

:previous:

For now the value of UK trade with Belgium is nearly double that of the equivalent with Japan, so in that sense a visit from the Belgian monarchs would be more logical.

But I am glad to see the Emperor and Empress visiting the world's longest reigning monarch & am looking forward to the visit.

Last edited:
I am so excited for this event!! It's wonderful to discuss happy news for a change.

The Belgian and British royals have had a ”curious” relationship for many years. King Albert didn't even pay a state visit to UK and thus has never recived the Order of the Garter... And now the BREXIT is going to happen so i somehow don’t think a Belgian State visit to UK is a priority at the moment.

Looking forward to see Naruhito and Masako making their first outgoing State visit to UK. Will be nice to see Windsor Castle hosting a State visit for the first time in 6 years... It’s a better suited location for such events than Buckingham Palace . And hopefully it will Give the Empress more calm and less stress than in London.

The Belgian and British royals have had a ”curious” relationship for many years. King Albert didn't even pay a state visit to UK and thus has never recived the Order of the Garter... And now the BREXIT is going to happen so i somehow don’t think a Belgian State visit to UK is a priority at the moment.

Looking forward to see Naruhito and Masako making their first outgoing State visit to UK. Will be nice to see Windsor Castle hosting a State visit for the first time in 6 years... It’s a better suited location for such events than Buckingham Palace . And hopefully it will Give the Empress more calm and less stress than in London.

I guess the calm factor is important in the choice of Windsor. Last time, during the State visit of Emperor Akihito, the imperial couple was met with protests from war veterans.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/the-emperors-day-of-pomp-and-protest-1157484.html

I'm thrilled to hear this news and really look forward to the State Visit.

I imagine it will be on exactly the same lines as other State Visits - carriage rides, welcoming ceremony, State Banquet, reciprocal banquet as well as the itinerary for the daytime.

Yes, but so much prettier and less frenzied than it would be if the end point were BP! Much better for the Empress, I suspect, and have no doubt that was a consideration.

Another factor could be, depending on the date, QEII and the Court could already be at Windsor. She always spends about a month at Windsor around Easter so that would make it easier for all parties concerned, including staff.

Really looking forward to this Imperial State Visit,the British really excel at State Visits compared to some of the other watered down monarchies.

The Japanese family have some lovely tiaras too..should be a great event for tiara watchers!

LaRae

Windsor is the greatest of all British royal residences. A fitting location in which to entertain & house the Japanese monarch.

I understand that at one time visiting monarchs were allocated the State Bedroom (with its two smaller rooms) plus the Queen's Drawing Room & Ballroom for their personal use. Their suite may even have extended to include the Queen's Presence & Audience Chambers, I'm not entirely sure.

I love state visits.
I wonder if Princess Aiko will attend?

Even though Princess Aiko is 18, apparently the “coming of age” birthday for Japanese royalty is age 20. So probably not.

Much glitter. Diamond Jubilee coach, Burmese ruby set (red), Garter for HIM.

Even though Princess Aiko is 18, apparently the “coming of age” birthday for Japanese royalty is age 20. So probably not.

20 is simply the age of legal majority, in the same way as 18 is the age of legal majority in the UK.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...legal/japan-aims-lower-age-adulthood-18-2022/

Speaking in general, it is interesting that a large number of royal watchers in the West seemingly wish for Princess Aiko to begin attending official events at 18, but there does not seem to be a corresponding call for the teenage European princesses to begin attending official events at 16 (the European equivalent to the age of 18 in Japan).

Speaking in general, it is interesting that a large number of royal watchers in the West seemingly wish for Princess Aiko to begin attending official events at 18, but there does not seem to be a corresponding call for the teenage European princesses to begin attending official events at 16 (the European equivalent to the age of 18 in Japan).

Because 18 is the age in “the West” that people consider young people to be an adult, so most would view Aiko as an adult by Western standards.

Because 18 is the age in “the West” that people consider young people to be an adult, so most would view Aiko as an adult by Western standards.

It could very well be that. But because Western monarchies are not expected to apply Japanese legal standards to determine the age of adulthood for their royal families, it is harder to understand why the reverse is expected.

It could very well be that. But because Western monarchies are not expected to apply Japanese legal standards to determine the age of adulthood for their royal families, it is harder to understand why the reverse is expected.

The fact is that young “ western” princes do not necessarily attend state dinners even when they are 18 . They may attend at home, but much less frequently in overseas visits.

How many overseas state dinners for example did Prince Charles attend when he was 18 ? As I wrote before, Prince Felipe was 18 when his parents went to the UK in 1986 and he didn’t go along, although his older sisters did, but only attended the return dinner..

Last edited:
Such wonderful news. I hope it will be the first of many state visits of the new emperor and empress.

It's unfortunate that the government was never able (willing?) to reschedule the Queen's visit to Belgium planned for 2003, which was postponed (forever, it turns out) due to the war in Iraq.

Much glitter. Diamond Jubilee coach, Burmese ruby set (red), Garter for HIM.

Sounds wonderful! The route up the hill, through the George IV gateway & around the upper ward is a splendid sight.

I much prefer state visits to Windsor. Real magic & majesty.

The Garter for His Majesty The Emperor would be fabulous:flowers:

I know the Queen does not offer the Garter to the spouse of fellow monarch, but it would be great to see Camilla honoured by the Japanese Emperor with a lower Japanese order.

https://www.royal.uk/postponement-state-visit-emperor-and-empress-japan

After consultation with Her Majesty’s Government and the Government of Japan, Her Majesty The Queen has agreed that, in the current circumstances, the planned State Visit to the United Kingdom in Spring 2020 by Their Majesties the Emperor and Empress of Japan should be postponed.

The State Visit will be rescheduled at a later date.

Not a surprise really.

I suspect no State Visit into the UK this year - no Trooping, no Garter, no Ascot, no Maundy Service - all the staples on the calendar we look forward to seeing.

All Garden Parties in London cancelled as is the Church of Scotland Assembly.

Exactly its the right decision given the current circumstances.

Could this state visit take place in the coming months?

No State Visit was announced in the Queen's Speech in Parliament in May, which is when they are normally announced.

I don't think there will be any State Visit to the UK this year.

The last part of this Jiji article says Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako are scheduled to visit the UK in 2024.

Back
Top Bottom