State Opening of Parliament 1: 2002-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
State Opening of Parliament 2002-2019, 2021

Oh that pulls at my heart. I know the choice was deliberate on HM's part. A way to include Philip when he's not there.[emoji24][emoji24]

How touching. I’m sure it was deliberate on her part to wear that dress.

The consort’s chair being removed must be such a stark reminder that Philip is dead- rather than just not attending.

As an aside - today The Queen was accompanied to the State Opening of Parliament by TRH The Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh ... I know that those titles won't appear in any official record of the event but that is what happened.

Question here. When Charles and Camilla are in Scotland, they're referred to as the Duke and Duchess of Rothesay. With Charles now inheriting his father's title, do you think we'll see C&C referred to as the Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh when they're in Scotland?

Question here. When Charles and Camilla are in Scotland, they're referred to as the Duke and Duchess of Rothesay. With Charles now inheriting his father's title, do you think we'll see C&C referred to as the Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh when they're in Scotland?

No, I don't expect they will as normally the oldest title is used; and Rothesay is from a much older creation (and is a special type; tied to a position rather than normal inheritance) than Edinburgh that is not yet 75 years old (and the fourth youngest extant dukedom in the peerage).

Youngest: Sussex
Second youngest: Cambridge
Third youngest: York
Fourth youngest: Edinburgh (will become the youngest again once it is awarded to Edward)

They could of course decide to use 'TRH The Duke and Duchess of Rothesay and Edinburgh'. Just like William and Catherine are expected to be known as 'TRH The Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and Cambridge' one day.

Last edited:
The Queen's Range Rover was without the royal standard for the return drive so I assume she went straight to Windsor rather than stopping at BP.

I have to say the more and more I see this "dressed down" State Opening the more I think it will become the norm in time which would be a shame.

I have to say the more and more I see this "dressed down" State Opening the more I think it will become the norm in time which would be a shame.

It wouldn’t surprise me if it did become the norm. That seems to be the way of most things these days. I’m not British, but I do like seeing the regalia and various traditions associated with big “events.” It seems a shame to lose that. Besides- may as well get more use out of the gowns, tiaras, etc.

Britain is a monarchy- may as well use the symbols associated with it IMO. I suppose it could look ostentatious though.

I think the queen looked like she had lost weight, and like her age had caught up with her. Which is entirely expected after being widowed just a few weeks ago.

We'll see what happens when, hopefully, the pandemic ends. I suppose it would have been a bit weird for the Queen to roll up in a gold carriage, in full regalia, to speak in front of only a dozen or so people.

I found that side table with a bric-à-brac cloth over it an ugly setting. I understand the Consort's throne is removed (although the Prince of Wales has seated on it) but I would have shoved the Queen's throne centre stage instead of that ugly granny"s bedside table in "Philip's place".

Last edited:
I found that side table with a bric-à-brac cloth over it an ugly setting. I understand the Consort's throne is removed (although the Prince of Wales has seated on it) but I would have shoved the Queen's throne centre stage instead of that ugly granny"s bedside table in "Philip's place".

Apparently, the round table with the red and gold embroidered cloth was used so that The Queen's speech in cream booklet (hard paper copy) form could be placed on top of it. This was done because of COVID-19 restriction, otherwise the Lord Chancellor, Robert Buckland (Conservative MP for South Swindon), would normally hand the (hard copy) speech directly to The Queen and the table would probably not be required. Personally, I don't mind the table, but it could have been placed on The Queen's right hand side (the same side as The Imperial State Crown) rather than the left, so that it does not "replace" the sovereign's consort throne.

As well as the eerily almost-vacant Lords, there were other amendments to keep the Queen and others safe from coronavirus.

The cream booklet containing the speech had been placed on a table draped in a red velvet and embroidered gold covering, next to the monarch’s throne.

In non-Covid times, the Lord Chancellor Robert Buckland would have handed the speech directly to the sovereign.

Changed State Opening of Parliament for widowed Queen
The monarch delivered the Queen’s Speech in her first major public ceremonial duty since Philip’s death.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/...ert-buckland-the-daily-telegraph-b934485.html

Picture of The Queen sitting at the throne with the round table next to it: https://static.standard.co.uk/2021/...640&auto=webp&quality=75&crop=5000:3351,smart

Robert Buckland has tweeted out a picture of himself standing (head down) in front of The Queen sitting at the throne of House of Lords.
Robert Buckland @RobertBuckland
It was an honour to invite, in a socially distanced way, The Queen to read her Speech at the State Opening of Parliament this morning #HousesofParliament #StateOpening2021
7:19 AM · May 12, 2021·Twitter for iPhone​

Last edited:
What i also noticed is that on the side where Charles and Camilly have been seated yesterday they have put another red carpet over the red/golden carpet which covers the steps and place before the Throne. This wasn't done previously.

Just wondering would it be the begining of a new protocol, no tiara and gown or military uniform in future. Maybe it's only because of the pandemic and the Queen's age this time, but sometimes an exception reshapes the tradition.

I don't think it is reasonable to demand that the Queen dress in full regalia at her old age. Honestly, I am afraid she might hurt herself if she has to wear the Imperial State Crown again during her Throne Speech.

I don't think it is reasonable to demand that the Queen dress in full regalia at her old age. Honestly, I am afraid she might hurt herself if she has to wear the Imperial State Crown again during her Throne Speech.

I was thinking the same thing.
The State Crown is supposedly quite heavy, and I imagine the robes are too.
The Queen is looking quite fragile lately; it might be a struggle for her to wear them.

I was thinking the same thing.
The State Crown is supposedly quite heavy, and I imagine the robes are too.
The Queen is looking quite fragile lately; it might be a struggle for her to wear them.
it is very heavy, I dont think she's up to wearing it now. I think that there's room for a simpler ceremoney, and certainly the queen has earned the right to take things a bit easier....

Things adjust because of her age, isn't that what I wrote in my reply? ?

I am saying would the "exception" of day time wear and also the George IV diadem in recent years become the turning point, which we wouldn't see full regalia in all future state opening of parliament (Charles and William and future reign).

The Queen has stopped wearing the heavy crown some years ago. I don't know exactly in which year that change was made, but in 2019 she wore the State Diadem during the whole ceremony while the Crown was displayed separately. But I can imagine that they will not return to the old dress code after two years of this scaled down State Openings with day dress. And that probably means that Charles will keep the dressed down version under his reign. I really can't see him to revert to the full pomp and splendor if Elizabeth doesn't. :sad:

The Queen has stopped wearing the heavy crown some years ago. I don't know exactly in which year that change was made, but in 2019 she wore the State Diadem during the whole ceremony while the Crown was displayed separately. But I can imagine that they will not return to the old dress code after two years of this scaled down State Openings with day dress. And that probably means that Charles will keep the dressed down version under his reign. I really can't see him to revert to the full pomp and splendor if Elizabeth doesn't. :sad:

Maybe they can do the Dutch 'in-between' version; no robes etc but still a very formal event and specific dresscode (although they could change the hat for a crown or tiara if they so wish).

Maybe they can do the Dutch 'in-between' version; no robes etc but still a very formal event and specific dresscode (although they could change the hat for a crown or tiara if they so wish).

I think it would be very sad if they stop wearing crowns and robes etc. Can you imagine how stunning William and Kate would be sitting on those thrones in their crowns? If your going to have Kings and Queens then I want them to look like Kings and Queens LOL! The British royals are the only royal family who have kept this part of royal tradition going and I hope that post Covid HM will at least attend in evening dress and tiara in the same way she does for a State banquet.

Last edited:

It was in 2019 when she changed from the Imperial State Crown to the George IV. Circlet which she last wore in 2016. In 2017 there was the "Dressed down" opening after the snap elections and in 2018 there was none. I certainly hope they will go back to the full Opening with Pomp and all.

It is hard to tell what the "normal" now is really as there have been numerous reasons for the 'dressed down' State Openings we've seen. I hope that the 'new normal' is HM in the stunning diamond Diadem of George IV and still in full robes etc but I'm not 100% sure it will be.

If the Queen sticks to the day-dress code, I think the Lords should forgo their robes as well.

I think it would be very sad if they stop wearing crowns and robes etc. Can you imagine how stunning William and Kate would be sitting on those thrones in their crowns? If your going to have Kings and Queens then I want them to look like Kings and Queens LOL! The British royals are the only royal family who have kept this part of royal tradition going and I hope that post Covid HM will at least attend in evening dress and tiara in the same way she does for a State banquet.

Personally I find a head of state, seated on a golden throne, wearing ermine fur while balancing a wobbling crown with an overload of diamonds extremely out of touch. Imagine Charles in 2030 or William in 2050 with glittering diamonds on their head.

Especially when this pompously dressed head of state, speaking of "My Government", announces draconic cuts or tax hikes while the Cullinan II glitters above their forehead.

No, having the Imperial State Crown on a pedestal as a symbol of the kingship (like the mace in the two Houses of Parliament) suits better with a modern monarchy 3.0, is my personal opinion. In Sweden the ermine was not worn but draped on the throne, that is also an option which would be an improvement in my eyes.

See: https://www.kungahuset.se/images/18...9-HMK-Riksmötet1974-foto-leif-r-janson-TT.jpg

It would be nice if they did. However, if they (primarily Charles) feel that after several years of day dress they need some in-between alternative, the Dutch royals would be the best example to look at.

If the Queen sticks to the day-dress code, I think the Lords should forgo their robes as well.

However, I hadn't thought about the robes for the Lords... In that case it makes even more sense to continue the British royal tradition.

Nonetheless, if at some point it is felt that they would want to tone it down a bit; they only have to look to their neighbors at the other side of the North Sea (both the royals and the lords).

Last edited:
Personally I find a head of state, seated on a golden throne, wearing ermine fur while balancing a wobbling crown with an overload of diamonds extremely out of touch. Imagine Charles in 2030 or William in 2050 with glittering diamonds on their head.

Especially when this pompously dressed head of state, speaking of "My Government", announces draconic cuts or tax hikes while the Cullinan II glitters above their forehead.

No, having the Imperial State Crown on a pedestal as a symbol of the kingship (like the mace in the two Houses of Parliament) suits better with a modern monarchy 3.0, is my personal opinion. In Sweden the ermine was not worn but draped on the throne, that is also an option which would be an improvement in my eyes.

See: https://www.kungahuset.se/images/18...9-HMK-Riksmötet1974-foto-leif-r-janson-TT.jpg

The 'my government' indeed stands out.

And you might be right that the crown on a male monarch such as Charles and William might result in different reactions of the public than this, now, elder lady who has served faithfully for so many decades as their queen.

For the coronation, yes, for the yearly State Opening of Parliament, they might want to reconsider.

The 'my government' indeed stands out.

And you might be right that the crown on a male monarch such as Charles and William might result in different reactions of the public than this, now, elder lady who has served faithfully for so many decades as their queen.

For the coronation, yes, for the yearly State Opening of Parliament, they might want to reconsider.

When I saw my own King dressed in ermine, I also thought: this is so out of touch.
In February 2013 I had sent the picture of Sweden with an ermine mantle draped on the throne to the Cabinet of the King. Their response was one of gratitude for my constructive idea and they have noted it.

But on April 30th 2013 sadly the King wore the skin of hundreds of dead ermines over his shoulders. I feel that with Charles, William (and my own Catharina-Amalia) the wearing of metres of fur by the head of state will become an issue anyway as people become less servile and more assertive and aware.

Last edited:
I dont see that it matters if the crown is the symbol of authority, whether its worn or just sits there.

I dont see that it matters if the crown is the symbol of authority, whether its worn or just sits there.

Do you think it suits Charles, William or George to have a whopping crown on their balding heads? Already on George VI my idea was that felt himself trapped, he did not look quite comfortable with that thing on his head.

With the abandonment of the papal coronation, the British Kings are the only ones in Europe still wearing kilograms of metal and stones on their head.

The current situation, with the Imperial State Crown carried in front of the Sovereign, suits modern times, I think.

Do you think it suits Charles, William or George to have a whopping crown on their balding heads? Already on George VI my idea was that felt himself trapped, he did not look quite comfortable with that thing on his head.

With the abandonment of the papal coronation, the British Kings are the only ones in Europe still wearing kilograms of metal and stones on their head.

The current situation, with the Imperial State Crown carried in front of the Sovereign, suits modern times, I think.

I think its up to them and to the British public whether they maintain traditions, give them up or have a mixture between the 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom