State Opening of Parliament 1: 2002-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like there will be an identical ceremony to the one in 1952, when The Queen opened the Parliament before she was crowned and kept the State Diadem on for the entire ceremony

Here’s the confirmation of the State Opening- The Queen won’t be wearing the Imperial State Crown, but it’s a full State Pageantry Opening. With the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall in attendance.

I suppose that is going to be the norm now, i.e. the Queen no longer wearing the Imperial State Crown.

After watching the Queen's interview on the coronation anniversary, when she spoke about the crown and how heavy it is, I understand it may not be just a matter of making HM more comfortable. At her age, there is a real risk of the Queen injuring herself or even breaking her neck when reading with the crown on.

Please note that several overtly political/agenda-driven posts have been removed. This is not a platform to draw in the political atmosphere of a country nor a "my country is better than yours" (vis-à-vis: State Openings of Parliament) kind of debate. Posts that contain comments that may result in further off-topic discussion have been edited.

The Queen has (nearly) always travelled to and from the state opening in the George IV State Diadem and changes into the Imperial State Crown after her arrival and before her departure. It would make the most sense to simply keep it on rather than change headwear at all. Apparently this is what she did at a state opening before her coronation, the crown was placed alongside on a table rather than on her head, I believe on that occasion she wore the George VI diadem as well.

Do other members of the BRF attend the State opening of Parliament but sit in a designated area?

Do other members of the BRF attend the State opening of Parliament but sit in a designated area?

No, only Charles and Camilla.
In the past there were many more, but not now.

Princes Anne sometimes attends in her role as Gold Stick-in-Waiting, wearing military uniform.

Last edited:
I prefer the State Opening in Autumn or Winter as I always felt sorry for the soldiers and queen in her robes on a warm summers day.

I prefer the State Opening in Autumn or Winter as I always felt sorry for the soldiers and queen in her robes on a warm summers day.

Perhaps The Queen will wear her long white fur-trimmed cape again.

Do you think the Queen will announce a state visit from a fellow monarch in the next Queen’s speech ? Maybe the new Emperor of Japan or the King of the Belgians ?

Not since the ceremony was slightly scaled down in the late 1990s. In the years immediately before that, it was usually some combination of Princess Margaret, the Gloucesters, and the Kents. They would have their own mini-procession through the Royal Gallery and would be conducted to the benches on the Queen's left (the women behind the men in a row reserved for spectators rather than peers).

That was also around when the hereditary peers were (mostly) removed from the House of Lords, so the two dukes soon had no formal reason to attend anyways.

Do you think the Queen will announce a state visit from a fellow monarch in the next Queen’s speech ? Maybe the new Emperor of Japan or the King of the Belgians ?

I would be surprised. The government has only in place a few months and focus appears to be on getting Brexit done, and then largely a domestic agenda. I

Perhaps The Queen will wear her long white fur-trimmed cape again.

It is not a particularly cold day today, so the fur may be a bit much for HM.

Last edited by a moderator:
The BBC commentators have just said that this is really a 'sham Queen's Speech' as they are expecting an election soon and so nothing outlined in this speech will actually come to fruition.

The Lord Chancellor, Robert Buckland, will today reverse the decades-long trend of modernising the role of Lord Chancellor.

Mr Buckland will be in the full wig and tricorn hat; the wig which was ditched in 2013 by Mr Grayling, and the tricorn hat having not been worn during the ceremony for many years more.

Last edited:
Queen's speech error in 1977

In 1977 HM opened the NZ Parliament during her Silver Jubilee tour. It was a lengthy tour. In her speech, HM transposed two words in error.

She said it was a great pleasure to be present:

"in this the Silver Jubilee reign of my year".

Last edited:
It is not a particularly cold day today, so the fur may be a bit much for HM.

Yeah. I see she just wore her short white fur stole. Not her long fur-trimmed cape.

The Queen has got a cold and appeared a bit tired, but she did a wonderful job.

I suspect the reason the Gloucesters were there is that Lord Culloden is one of the Queen's pages at the moment. As a result his parents and grandparents were present to watch him perform his duties rather than being there in any official capacity.

In the pics accompanying the Daily Mail article there is one of the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester with the Earl and Countess of Ulster at the State Opening.

Upthread someone asked if other members of the RF attended. Looks as if they do.
But unfortunately not dressed in white tie like they used to do before the Reform of the House of Lords.

But i read somewhere that Lord Culloden was on of the Pageboys of HM. Probably this is the reaqson they attended.

In the pics accompanying the Daily Mail article there is one of the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester with the Earl and Countess of Ulster at the State Opening.

Upthread someone asked if other members of the RF attended. Looks as if they do.

Interesting that Gloucester is wearing the Garter collar and no mantle.

Is this the 1st time that the Duchess of Cornwall has been seated so close to the throne?

Is this the 1st time that the Duchess of Cornwall has been seated so close to the throne?

It's the first time she's seated alone anyway.
So i would say yes ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom