State Opening of Parliament 1: 2002-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fifi is a law unto itself and as an independent body is able to set rules like that.

The UN and EU only allow countries/nations to join but Fifa likes to say it has more members than the UN because it allows parts of countries to join such as the British and Faroe Islands. They also include places like Israel in Europe when geographically it is in Asia. Cricket allows two different set ups - the four as above but also combines all of the islands of the Caribbean as one country - the West Indies. These are sporting organisations.

The Olympics only recognises the UK and not the states that make it up but they compete separately at the Commonwealth Games - along with the Isle of Man (are you saying that is a separate country as well???)

The UN is really the determinant of what is a country rather than a sporting body.

@Royal__Reporter

#UK The government has cancelled the 2018 State Opening of Parliament, they extended the parliamentary session to two years in order to deal with Brexit. This means there will not be a Queen’s speech in 2018.

I regret to say [then] that we may not see Queen Elizabeth 11 wearing the Imperial State Crown again. Weighty as it is, it will seem yet more so in future years, so I expect it to be carried before her, and set before the Throne in future years, with HM wearing the George 1V diadem instead.

The Queen could open Parliament twice in two months depending on the Supreme Court ruling. Seems crazy to go all out for that.

As Parliament is still in session, according the unanimous ruling by the Supreme Court, the Queen's Speech is off the table for now. The Prime Minister needs a new, and now proper, prorogation of Parliament first, to get a Queen's Speech back on the agenda.

Parliament will resume now, as there has not been any prorogation indeed. Possibly a Motion of No Confidence will be tabled. But Opposition will only do so when they can form a caretaker Government, able to set their own Election Day date.

It is also possible, seen remarks of Keir Starmer MP, that the House of Commons will once again take the reins in own hands and table Motions to limit the royal prerogative of a Prorogation to just some days at maximum and solely for closing the session and the preparation of a Queen's Speech to open a new session.

Last edited:
“Parliament will be #prorogued on Tuesday next week. State Opening the following Monday 14th October.”

Via Alastair Bruce Twitter

I’m guessing a formal announcement will come on who will accompany The Queen to the State Opening. I’m guessing Charles and Camilla.

A few of the recent times, I don't think there was an announcement either way, and we didn't know for sure that Charles and Camilla were coming until the TV coverage showed a glance of their chairs.

A few of the recent times, I don't think there was an announcement either way, and we didn't know for sure that Charles and Camilla were coming until the TV coverage showed a glance of their chairs.

Usually, there’s an announcement about the State Opening and who’s accompanying The Queen. We know it won’t be Prince Philip. There’s been no announcement though.

I wonder if the Britons see how this guy Johnson is using the really old Queen to further his political agenda.

Usually, there’s an announcement about the State Opening and who’s accompanying The Queen. We know it won’t be Prince Philip. There’s been no announcement though.

Is it known if this State Opening will be with the usual pomp and splendour or, like last time, Her Majesty just wearing daytime dress and hat?

All PM's use the Queen to further their political agenda. That is the whole point of the Queen's Speech - for the PM to have the Queen announce the political agenda for the upcoming session of parliament.

It might be called 'The Queen's Speech' but it is actually the PM's speech that the Queen has to read.

I’m guessing a formal announcement will come on who will accompany The Queen to the State Opening. I’m guessing Charles and Camilla.

But if iut's them would they then drive in a carriage with the Queen? Or the Queen alone and Charles and Camillay in another carrage as they did when Philip still attended?.

He is manipulating Parliamentary Rules and regulations. He is NOT manipulating Her Majesty.

Just because she is old she is not being manipulated because
But she is a doddering old dear!

Better men than Prime Minister's have been trying to manipulate her since she ascended the throne at 25. Not least Winston Churchill.

I really don't think Boris is any sort of intellectual challenge to a woman as sharp as she is and she has her own private advisers plus Prince Charles.

However, you have to understand that the UK IS A Constitutional Monarchy. But myy money is on the Queen.

But if iut's them would they then drive in a carriage with the Queen? Or the Queen alone and Charles and Camillay in another carrage as they did when Philip still attended?.

The Queen NEVER rides alone, not in her limo nor in a carriage. There is always a member of her family or a lady-in-waiting sitting at her left side.
The state opening of parliament is such an official thing, so I guess, if Charles and Camilla accompany her this year, Camilla will sit next to her while Charles, as a gentleman, sits opposite.

Last edited:
I wonder if the Britons see how this guy Johnson is using the really old Queen to further his political agenda.

Moderators - if you consider the above post as 'political' [as I do]. please remove it.

It looks like the Queen will not be wearing the crown:

"Just attended the Earl Marshal’s Rehearsal for the State Opening of Parliament on Monday. Table for the Imperial State Crown is in place beside the throne."

There are two thrones, and a single chair next to them, so I'm thinking Charles next to the Queen again, and Camilla in the chair?

I happen to think this will be a full pageantry State Opening. The Queen could just wear her State Diadem and not put herself through bearing the weight of the Imperial State Crown and just have it placed right next to her. She’s approaching her mid 90’s after all.

I do not think this will be the full pomp and ceremony as when there is a political crisis / hung parliament it is kept simple. I will be surprised to see the queen in full regalia.

The order of the procession can be seen here. The crown will be carried before the Queen, but there will be four pages, so presumably she will still have the robe.

Lets hope we at least see the State Diadem at the Opening of Parliament this year.

That´s exactly how I thought it will turn out to be one day. In the last couple of years when watching the opening of parliament I often thought how much of a fatigue and burden it must have been for Her wearing the Crown.
I think we still can be very happy Her Majesty wearing full regalia and the crown still playing a vital part in the ceremony!

The Queen NEVER rides alone, not in her limo nor in a carriage. There is always a member of her family or a lady-in-waiting sitting at her left side.
The state opening of parliament is such an official thing, so I guess, if Charles and Camilla accompany her this year, Camilla will sit next to her while Charles, as a gentleman, sits opposite.
The Queen rode alone in the Scottish State Coach during this year's Trooping of the Colour.

I'm delighted to see the full 'panoply' of a State opening will go ahead this year...There is no earthly reason why it should not..

Perhaps this year, more so than others that have preceded, the State Opening of Parliament *needs* the pomp and circumstance and visible and tangible signs that the UK [...] has the continuity of over a 1000 years of history that has brought the UK to this point and its stability and protection is represented by Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Queen rode alone in the Scottish State Coach during this year's Trooping of the Colour.

That is, as you will know, not an average ride from point A to B, but regarded as an alternative to horseback to inspect her guards (besides, the princes and princess of the blood royal riding behind her carriage on horseback are regarded as her personal attendees or aides at this function).
This one is the only exception to the rule; normally protocol forbids that she would go alone. In the old days it would have even be unheard of for a monarch to walk alone through the corridors of a palace without the presence of some ladies or gentlemen of the court. These things of course have changed a bit in the past decades of course. But travelling in an official capacity, at least in Britain, the Queen will always be accompanyied.

Last edited:
Nice that we will see a full on state opening again. I can understand the Queen not wanting to wear the imperial state crown, it is so heavy and with the robes as well it must be quite tiring.

Nice to see some level of usual service is resuming.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom