State Opening of Parliament 1: 2002-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised that it hasn't been announced if Charles & Camilla will attend this years State Opening.

In the rehearsal pictures it appears that two coaches are being used, the usual Australian State Coach but also the possible new State Coach Britannia, I think. I could be wrong.

No announcement would indicate that they aren't attending.

The Future Engagements on the British Monarchy website clearly says 'The Queen accompanied by The Duke of Edinburgh will open parliament.'

The Prince of Wales website returns 'no results' for the 4th June - with a list of engagements on both the 5th and 6th however. The British Monarchy site has 'no results' for Charles at all this week however.

The fact that neither site has any engagements listed for Charles on the 4th it is reasonable to assume that The Queen and Philip will be going but not Charles and Camilla.

:previous: I guess we'll see because the Australian State Coach is in the rehearsal and the new State Coach Britannia.

Live TV Coverage: The State Opening of Parliament 2014- BBC One 10:30am UK Time- June 4th
Huw Edwards presents live coverage of the Queen's Speech at the State Opening of Parliament. This combination of spectacular pageantry and politics marks the formal start of the parliamentary year. Her Majesty the Queen will be accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh, the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall-
BBC One - The State Opening of Parliament, 2014

U.S. Viewers Live TV Coverage: June 4th
CSPAN 2 at 5:30am

State Opening British Parliament | Video | C-SPAN.org

tvpc.com - BBC 1

Last edited:
Her Majesty the Queen will be accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh, the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

We have our answer...

Her Majesty the Queen will be accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh, the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

We have our answer...

There must be a flurry of activity in the households of The Queen, The Prince of Wales and the Cambridges as they prepare for their trip to France and various engagements they're to carry out there. It doesn't surprise me in the least that it is only the Queen and the DoE at the state opening of Parliament this year.

Live TV Coverage: The State Opening of Parliament 2014- BBC One 10:30am UK Time- June 4th
Huw Edwards presents live coverage of the Queen's Speech at the State Opening of Parliament. This combination of spectacular pageantry and politics marks the formal start of the parliamentary year. Her Majesty the Queen will be accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh, the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall-
BBC One - The State Opening of Parliament, 2014

U.S. Viewers Live TV Coverage: June 4th
CSPAN 2 at 5:30am

State Opening British Parliament | Video | C-SPAN.org

tvpc.com - BBC 1

Only in half an hour now, don't forget to watch it!

Last edited:
I had assumed the lack of an announcement was the announcement, but the two chairs are out next to the thrones, so I guess Charles and Camilla are going to be there after all.

State Opening of Parliament 2002 - 2014

The Queen and DOE have just left BP in the new state coach.

Prince of Wales and DOC have just arrived in the Irish State Coach.

Camilla looks absolutely stunning!

Last edited:
Prince Philip is in his Royal Marines uniform. I'm not sure I've ever seen him wear something other than a navy uniform for this. Perhaps it's because it's the Royal Marines' 350th anniversary this year.

Last edited:
Prince Philip is in his Royal Marines uniform. I'm not sure I've ever seen him wear something other than a navy uniform for this. Perhaps it's because it's the Royal Marines' 350th anniversary this year.

Yes I found that really odd and he hasn't got his Garter collar on even though it's a collar day. I think he must have some specific reason why but v odd indeed.

He's taking the salute at the Beating Retreat later today, which wouldn't be a collar event, I don't think. I think some of the decorations are stitched on to avoid wardrobe malfunctions, so maybe there's not enough time to switch them from one uniform to another, or to remove the Garter collar and switch the sash.

Last edited:
I was interested to learn that one of the more unusual traditions of the State Opening of Parliament, is the Hostage MP who is held at Buckingham Palace whilst the Queen is at Parliament. He is released upon the safe return to the palace of the Queen. One MP who had performed this duty a few years ago was told by way of a joke that if anything happened to the Queen in the Houses of Parliament for him not to worry as they would make sure they shot him quickly!
I am pleased that Charles and Camilla attended again this year.

instead of calling the coach State Coach Britannia, it's not being formally called The Diamond Jubilee State Coach. I must mean the world to Jim Frecklington that that his hard work in developing this carriage has finally made it to The Queen and is being used officially.

HuffPostUK Pictures @HuffPostUKPics · 4m
Charles and Camilla react as page boys faints at the #QueensSpeech #StateOpeningOfParliament
The State Opening Of Parliament 2014 In Pictures

I heard a loud thud but I thought someone had dropped something. Now we know a page fainted.

The Queen and DOE have just left BP in the new state coach.

Prince of Wales and DOC have just arrived in the Irish State Coach.

Camilla looks absolutely stunning!

She does look great in white - not many of us do - and I thought her regal meter hit a 10 today. Good for her! It's hard to take a bad picture at this spectacular event! Love the opening of parliament for its dramatic beauty!

OK - I just read about the speech - is the issue of partisans returning from fighting in Syria a big one? I don't want dive completely into the political pool - just was wondering about the background on this (that it merited a mention in the speech).

AdmirerUS..

Regarding the issue of fighters returning to the UK from Syria, MI5 have warned that radicalised youth returning home MAY constitute a major domestic terrorism threat.

The Diamond Jubilee State Coach is a beautiful carriage, is this the first time The Irish State Coach has been used for Prince Charles?

This event is such a wonderful occasion - the new coach is an added treat, I agree about Camilla, she looks very regal.

The Hon. Charles Armstrong-Jones and Arthur Chatto were two of the pages and I got the impression it was one of them who fainted.

The Prince and Duchess were really worried.

The Hon. Charles Armstrong-Jones and Arthur Chatto were two of the pages and I got the impression it was one of them who fainted.

The Prince and Duchess were really worried.

No it wasn't, it was Viscount Airlie (?spelling?). And now of course its all over twitter and in the papers so he will be getting a hard time at school!

I too heard the thump and for a split second I thought the Imperial State Crown had slipped off HM's head and onto the floor! I'd just marvelled at the fact that in 60 years of doing this, that thing has never seemed to even wobble on the Queen's head. I suppose it's 'old hat' to her by now, no pun intended!

Camilla really did look truly cracking today, she really was made for that tiara.

No it wasn't, it was Viscount Airlie (?spelling?). And now of course its all over twitter and in the papers so he will be getting a hard time at school!

Thank you. Poor boy, kids can be cruel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom