The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-11-2021, 09:45 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirilschatz View Post
I think Charles have been hit more than expected by his fathers death - probably even more than he himself expected. He literally seems to burst out in tears every time I see him.
HM looks better than expected after her husbands death, but also frail (but this could be because we havent seen her so often in the last year and it's easier to tell differences in peoples appearances when you dont see them so often.)
That is a good point, before the funeral we had not seen much of HM other than the zoom calls and you cannot always tell that much from them,.
I think she does look frail.

Old 05-11-2021, 09:51 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
You didn’t express it wrong, you expressed yourself very well.
Thank you :) Not being a native english speaker sometimes makes it hard to put every word in the right place, especially when I know what I want to say and when the fingers go faster than the brains

Old 05-11-2021, 10:11 AM
Royal Highness

I thought the Queen looked very well today although it was sad to see her sitting alone. I don't think that was because of COVID, she and and a masked Charles had walked side by side while touching hands. I suspect she choose to sit alone to help her adjust to life without Prince Philip.

I agree that she seems to have lost a bit of weight, which is concerning. However, I remember that picture of her with Charles before Easter when she was walking on uneven ground without a cane or a walker. Pretty remarkable for 95.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:10 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post
Interesting to see that the crown gets its own car...
Old 05-11-2021, 11:17 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
I thought the Queen looked very well today although it was sad to see her sitting alone. I don't think that was because of COVID, she and and a masked Charles had walked side by side while touching hands. I suspect she choose to sit alone to help her adjust to life without Prince Philip.

I agree that she seems to have lost a bit of weight, which is concerning. However, I remember that picture of her with Charles before Easter when she was walking on uneven ground without a cane or a walker. Pretty remarkable for 95.
The consorts throne was removed because The Queen no longer has a consort. When Charles sat in in the past he was really 'representing the consort' but now there isn't a consort there is no need for a consort's throne.

We won't see a consort's throne now until Charles is King. It is a protocol thing.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

HM wore the same dress she wore when she and Philip took that gorgeous photo outside Windsor Castle for his 99th birthday 😭😭😭😭💔💔
Old 05-11-2021, 11:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirilschatz View Post
Thank you :) Not being a native english speaker sometimes makes it hard to put every word in the right place, especially when I know what I want to say and when the fingers go faster than the brains
Hah, I’m a native English speaker and that happens to me all the time 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Old 05-11-2021, 11:59 AM
Majesty

Quote:
HM wore the same dress she wore when she and Philip took that gorgeous photo outside Windsor Castle for his 99th birthday 😭😭😭😭💔💔
Thanks for that observation! That must have been a very deliberate choice by Her Majesty the Queen.
Old 05-11-2021, 12:17 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Oh that pulls at my heart. I know the choice was deliberate on HM's part. A way to include Philip when he's not there.😭😭
Old 05-11-2021, 12:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Thanks for that observation! That must have been a very deliberate choice by Her Majesty the Queen.
You're welcome, and no question about it.......
Old 05-11-2021, 12:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellydofc View Post
Oh that pulls at my heart. I know the choice was deliberate on HM's part. A way to include Philip when he's not there.😭😭
It's a beautiful tribute..........
Old 05-11-2021, 12:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

State Opening of Parliament 2002-2019, 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellydofc View Post
Oh that pulls at my heart. I know the choice was deliberate on HM's part. A way to include Philip when he's not there.

How touching. I’m sure it was deliberate on her part to wear that dress.

The consort’s chair being removed must be such a stark reminder that Philip is dead- rather than just not attending.
Old 05-11-2021, 01:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

As an aside - today The Queen was accompanied to the State Opening of Parliament by TRH The Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh ... I know that those titles won't appear in any official record of the event but that is what happened.
Old 05-11-2021, 01:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Question here. When Charles and Camilla are in Scotland, they're referred to as the Duke and Duchess of Rothesay. With Charles now inheriting his father's title, do you think we'll see C&C referred to as the Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh when they're in Scotland?
Old 05-11-2021, 01:34 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Question here. When Charles and Camilla are in Scotland, they're referred to as the Duke and Duchess of Rothesay. With Charles now inheriting his father's title, do you think we'll see C&C referred to as the Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh when they're in Scotland?
No, I don't expect they will as normally the oldest title is used; and Rothesay is from a much older creation (and is a special type; tied to a position rather than normal inheritance) than Edinburgh that is not yet 75 years old (and the fourth youngest extant dukedom in the peerage).

Youngest: Sussex
Second youngest: Cambridge
Third youngest: York
Fourth youngest: Edinburgh (will become the youngest again once it is awarded to Edward)

They could of course decide to use 'TRH The Duke and Duchess of Rothesay and Edinburgh'. Just like William and Catherine are expected to be known as 'TRH The Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and Cambridge' one day.
Old 05-11-2021, 02:54 PM
Heir Apparent

The Queen's Range Rover was without the royal standard for the return drive so I assume she went straight to Windsor rather than stopping at BP.

I have to say the more and more I see this "dressed down" State Opening the more I think it will become the norm in time which would be a shame.
Old 05-11-2021, 03:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post

I have to say the more and more I see this "dressed down" State Opening the more I think it will become the norm in time which would be a shame.

It wouldn’t surprise me if it did become the norm. That seems to be the way of most things these days. I’m not British, but I do like seeing the regalia and various traditions associated with big “events.” It seems a shame to lose that. Besides- may as well get more use out of the gowns, tiaras, etc.

Britain is a monarchy- may as well use the symbols associated with it IMO. I suppose it could look ostentatious though.
Old 05-11-2021, 05:09 PM
Nobility

I think the queen looked like she had lost weight, and like her age had caught up with her. Which is entirely expected after being widowed just a few weeks ago.
Old 05-11-2021, 05:18 PM
Serene Highness

We'll see what happens when, hopefully, the pandemic ends. I suppose it would have been a bit weird for the Queen to roll up in a gold carriage, in full regalia, to speak in front of only a dozen or so people.
Old 05-11-2021, 06:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

I found that side table with a bric-à-brac cloth over it an ugly setting. I understand the Consort's throne is removed (although the Prince of Wales has seated on it) but I would have shoved the Queen's throne centre stage instead of that ugly granny"s bedside table in "Philip's place".

Tags
ceremony, elizabeth ii, opening of parliament, protocol, queen elizabeth ii